The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2022, 07:36 AM   #1
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Introducing | Grand Seiko 44GS Spring Drive Manual Wind SBGY011

Another new watch?
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 08:14 AM   #2
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I'll be honest and say what is special about this watch? I'm not compelled in anyway.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 10:19 AM   #3
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I love the 44GS case, the thinner dimensions, textured dial and the exhibition case back. Would like to see it on a bracelet. But looks good to me.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 04:49 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I think it’s beautiful but GS pricing is just getting too high for me.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 12:55 AM   #5
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

At $ 8,100, it is definitely going down the Rolex path, too rich for me.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 02:44 AM   #6
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Nothing new here. Another GS destined to a 19 mm strap and same recipe of case and dial design.
Old 10 November 2022, 04:29 AM   #7
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrew6l View Post
At $ 8,100, it is definitely going down the Rolex path, too rich for me.
For $2,000 less the Snowflake is a no-brainer.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 09:27 AM   #8
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I'll be honest and say what is special about this watch? I'm not compelled in anyway.
Bigger, more slim and no date...I am extremely compelled.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 07:38 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It looks like they are finally coming to market.
I watched a video on YouTube a couple of days ago that showcases the watch in hand and the watch is really quite stunning.
It's great that it's regular production but I suspect it could switch people onto GS with how lovely it looks so demand will probably be high initially.
Just what I have been looking for from GS so I will be getting one and it may well completely round out my watch collection
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 05:54 AM   #10
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Picked it up a couple of days ago. Ordered it as soon as I read about it. I love the evolution this model represents. 45KS watch case. Manual wind - but with the Spring Drive. Love it.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 07:24 AM   #11
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Picked it up a couple of days ago. Ordered it as soon as I read about it. I love the evolution this model represents. 45KS watch case. Manual wind - but with the Spring Drive. Love it.

Nice! Did you change the strap?
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 08:45 AM   #12
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 14060M
I miss the SD power reserve.
collarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 11:34 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice strap.
I saw pics of one on an Omiwatari and it looked really great.
I have seen comments about how poorly that type of leather holds up to daily use with it being suede and i would be interested to hear of your longer term experience
Old 15 December 2022, 12:01 PM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
It's still there, but on the back of the movement where it probably belongs
I think it's a distraction, though I did see an sbga375 the other day where it was present but beautifully integrated into the blue dial so as not to distract
Besides, in a manual wind Spring Drive how much influence does power reserve have on accuracy in real terms?
Would it be possible to notice any difference?
Also a manual wind probably ought to be wound to full capacity once every day at the same time of day for best results as a daily wearer, so a power reserve indicator is a mere novelty and somewhat redundant in that regard unless one is checking whether the Main spring has broken, but in that unlikely event it would become apparent very quickly regardless
Personally, I would be inclined to put 20-30 winds into it as an occasional wearer watch and not think anything more of it until the next day and add another 20-30 winds every day afterward just for good measure every day as long as it was keeping it running and disregard the indicator.
I really think the indicator is best reserved for Automatic movements with the most benefit for those who are not very active.
Old 15 December 2022, 02:44 PM   #15
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Original strap: Alligator.
Strap in the photo: Aftermarket Nubuck.

It comes on a black alligator strap (in Europe) and a deployant. I changed the strap to try a nubuck. Nubuck is one of the most solid leather quality out there, but can be finicky and require some maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Nice strap.
I saw pics of one on an Omiwatari and it looked really great.
I have seen comments about how poorly that type of leather holds up to daily use with it being suede and i would be interested to hear of your longer term experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Nice! Did you change the strap?
Old 15 December 2022, 02:45 PM   #16
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
It's here:

Old 15 December 2022, 10:34 PM   #17
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Original strap: Alligator.
Strap in the photo: Aftermarket Nubuck.

It comes on a black alligator strap (in Europe) and a deployant. I changed the strap to try a nubuck. Nubuck is one of the most solid leather quality out there, but can be finicky and require some maintenance.
Thanks. Did you keep the déployante or did you go for a pin buckle? I have been looking for an original GS pin buckle but they seem to be sold out everywhere, including in Japan.
Old 16 December 2022, 12:33 AM   #18
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Thanks. Did you keep the déployante or did you go for a pin buckle? I have been looking for an original GS pin buckle but they seem to be sold out everywhere, including in Japan.
I normally like to put all my watches, if worn on a strap, using a deployant - as it is more secure and actually feels a tad more "premium" than the pin buckle. The downside of a deployant with these quite long GS-straps is that it can get a bit bulky. I use the original pin buckle on my SBGW231 - and the pin buckle on the nubuck on the SBGY011. Sometimes a switch to a butterfly clasp for the leather straps as well to mix things up.
Old 16 December 2022, 02:29 AM   #19
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I normally like to put all my watches, if worn on a strap, using a deployant - as it is more secure and actually feels a tad more "premium" than the pin buckle. The downside of a deployant with these quite long GS-straps is that it can get a bit bulky. I use the original pin buckle on my SBGW231 - and the pin buckle on the nubuck on the SBGY011. Sometimes a switch to a butterfly clasp for the leather straps as well to mix things up.
Old 17 December 2022, 06:47 AM   #20
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Old 17 December 2022, 07:53 PM   #21
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! And looks great on that strap. Love that GS is making thinner watches too.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 06:05 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Reviving this thread after seeing the SBGY011 in person a couple of days ago. It's so simple and so stunning. The dial is not white as you see in most photos. It's a shimmering light silver with texture, like frost, and I swear I could also see a light blue in it. Like most GS dials you need to see in person to fully appreciate. Combined with that buttery smooth blue seconds hand from the Spring Drive and that old-school 44GS case, and it's a winner. Very cool retro look with modern technology in the movement.

I also tried on the blue-dial version, the limited edition SBGY009, but didn't like it as much. The dial texture reminds me too much of the Seiko Cocktail Time, and if I'm paying $8K or so for watch, I don't want to be reminded of a $300 watch.

Seriously thinking about the SGBY011. (Note the watch in my photo, taken at a GS Boutique, was wrapped in plastic.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS SBGY011-TRF.jpg (282.2 KB, 379 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 08:18 AM   #23
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m the opposite and highly prefer the simplicity of pin buckle straps. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I’ve spent on Grand Seiko pin buckles, when they’re no more effective than generic ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 59965846-3CFE-4E32-BD1E-45FA9A9A78E5.jpeg (238.2 KB, 360 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 01:55 PM   #24
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Reviving this thread after seeing the SBGY011 in person a couple of days ago. It's so simple and so stunning. The dial is not white as you see in most photos. It's a shimmering light silver with texture, like frost, and I swear I could also see a light blue in it. Like most GS dials you need to see in person to fully appreciate. Combined with that buttery smooth blue seconds hand from the Spring Drive and that old-school 44GS case, and it's a winner. Very cool retro look with modern technology in the movement.

I also tried on the blue-dial version, the limited edition SBGY009, but didn't like it as much. The dial texture reminds me too much of the Seiko Cocktail Time, and if I'm paying $8K or so for watch, I don't want to be reminded of a $300 watch.

Seriously thinking about the SGBY011. (Note the watch in my photo, taken at a GS Boutique, was wrapped in plastic.)
One can see the sheer beauty of it despite the plastic wrap
Old 7 March 2023, 02:05 PM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I’m the opposite and highly prefer the simplicity of pin buckle straps. I’m embarrassed to admit how much I’ve spent on Grand Seiko pin buckles, when they’re no more effective than generic ones.
I've come full circle over the last few years to better appreciate a good strap and all that it brings to the table.
IMO, nobody does a strap quite like GS. The quality of construction and materials is something else altogether.
I think their straps are somehow more resilient than one has come to generally expect from high end straps and a pin buckle on a GS strap is probably the gold standard as far as I'm concerned
If I pick one of these watches up, I suppose I'll have to suck up the deployant that comes with it
Deployants are ok to extend the life of a strap so that's the upside.
Old 7 March 2023, 07:32 PM   #26
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Just realized that both SBGY011 and SBGY009 are 10 bar water resistant, which certainly can't hurt Lovely looking watches.
Old 7 March 2023, 11:38 PM   #27
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I've had quite a few KS and GS buckles from the 1960s and '70s over the years. Really well made. They used to be quite easy to find but seem to be a lot more scarce these days, at least for a decent price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg b1.jpeg (150.2 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpeg b2.jpeg (122.0 KB, 314 views)
Old 8 March 2023, 01:02 AM   #28
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I've had quite a few KS and GS buckles from the 1960s and '70s over the years. Really well made. They used to be quite easy to find but seem to be a lot more scarce these days, at least for a decent price.
I love those two buckles. I’ve got these three (sorry for the bad pic.) The middle is from the ‘90s, and the two on the outside are still available new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F8A3C33A-56E5-47A2-9B27-7C9A03456916.jpeg (202.7 KB, 302 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 02:07 AM   #29
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Absolutely beautiful. I have to see it in the flesh, but this seems the first recent release (bar a few MCS miracles) that embodies the simple perfection of proportions of the GS golden-age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have a lot of these, and I never use them. At 15mm they're just too small, and it's almost impossible to find straps that will fit them. I enjoy using these from Seiya Japan as they will swap out easily into most 18/16 or 19/16 straps.

If these are 100m WR, I'd LOVE to see what they look like on tropical. Anyone wanna try?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 08:56 AM   #30
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post

I have a lot of these, and I never use them. At 15mm they're just too small, and it's almost impossible to find straps that will fit them. I enjoy using these from Seiya Japan as they will swap out easily into most 18/16 or 19/16 straps.
I bought a ton of new 18/15 and 19/15 Seiko straps in Japan (including the two in my post above). Decent quality, very affordable and many different styles and colours. These are just the empty boxes. (Still thinking I might find a use for them one day!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2638.jpeg (197.6 KB, 290 views)