The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2018, 11:15 PM   #1
bharat
"TRF" Member

Mont Blanc Ball point vs Roller ball

Good morning guys,

I have casually used some Mont Blanc, cross and Parker pens in the past but for the majority of my writing work have used cheap mass produced pens. Am starting to develop more of an appreciation now for fine writing instruments and want to buy a Mont Blanc as a starter pen that will be my daily use pen for work.

The issue I have is that I take copious amounts of notes and so want a style of pen that offers little to no resistance and allows me to write as fast as my mind thinks. That said would you recommend going with a ball point style or roller ball style? Any pros and cons on these two styles would be helpful.

I am leaning toward the star walker series with the floating Mont Blanc symbol. Thanks in advance for your help.
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:49 AM   #2
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
From your two selections, I would go with the rollerball. The refills won't last as long, however they will write much more wet, with much less resistance. I would go with the Montblanc Legrand 162. Since it's the legrand, it will use more expensive refills, BUT, you are able to re-fill the refill! You won't need to buy refills very often at all, only ink and a hobby syringe.

Now with you writing profusely, I would recommend a fountain pen. It will have no resistance, you don't need to buy refills, and you can change up ink colors/brands with ease. One fill should last a day or two with heavy writing.
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:58 AM   #3
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
I agree with the fountain pen. No resistance and writing quickly is no more difficult than any other kind of pen. I got through uni postgraduate and first few dogsbody jobs where I had to write as people were speaking using an fp. It has so much more presence and is more comfortable too

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:31 AM   #4
bharat
"TRF" Member

I haven’t used a fountain pen in more than a decade and I kind of miss it to be honest. I found that my handwriting used to be much better using a fountain pen. Do you think that I would be able to write as fast with a fountain pen as a rollerball? And which model for a fountain pen would you recommend? The Meisterstuck seems to be a popular model but I haven’t the faintest idea which way to go apart from which specific ‘look’ I am more attracted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
From your two selections, I would go with the rollerball. The refills won't last as long, however they will write much more wet, with much less resistance. I would go with the Montblanc Legrand 162. Since it's the legrand, it will use more expensive refills, BUT, you are able to re-fill the refill! You won't need to buy refills very often at all, only ink and a hobby syringe.

Now with you writing profusely, I would recommend a fountain pen. It will have no resistance, you don't need to buy refills, and you can change up ink colors/brands with ease. One fill should last a day or two with heavy writing.
Would love to know if you have experience specifically with the Mont Blanc inks - so they dry relatively quickly or is there risk of smudging etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
I agree with the fountain pen. No resistance and writing quickly is no more difficult than any other kind of pen. I got through uni postgraduate and first few dogsbody jobs where I had to write as people were speaking using an fp. It has so much more presence and is more comfortable too

Old 15 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #5
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat View Post
I haven’t used a fountain pen in more than a decade and I kind of miss it to be honest. I found that my handwriting used to be much better using a fountain pen. Do you think that I would be able to write as fast with a fountain pen as a rollerball? And which model for a fountain pen would you recommend? The Meisterstuck seems to be a popular model but I haven’t the faintest idea which way to go apart from which specific ‘look’ I am more attracted to.

Would love to know if you have experience specifically with the Mont Blanc inks - so they dry relatively quickly or is there risk of smudging etc?
My writing is just as fast and generally more legible with a fp. I have a meister stuck legrande and think it's fabulous
Just bought a Meister stuck classique for my dad. Would guess it's slightly better for going fast as it's a bit smaller.

Mb inks are great. They are at the slower drying end of the spectrum but don't smudge easily eg at the end of a page in my a5 journal. The depth of colour is also brilliant

Old 15 January 2018, 10:00 AM   #6
bharat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My writing is just as fast and generally more legible with a fp. I have a meister stuck legrande and think it's fabulous
Just bought a Meister stuck classique for my dad. Would guess it's slightly better for going fast as it's a bit smaller.

Mb inks are great. They are at the slower drying end of the spectrum but don't smudge easily eg at the end of a page in my a5 journal. The depth of colour is also brilliant

Thank you. What is the best looking blue ink that MB offers? How many days or weeks does a bottle of ink last?
Old 15 January 2018, 10:08 AM   #7
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Thank you. What is the best looking blue ink that MB offers? How many days or weeks does a bottle of ink last?
A bottle of ink should last a year or so.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:12 AM   #8
bharat
"TRF" Member

What do you think about the red gold fountain pen Meisterstück 149 fountain pen? Is this akin to rose gold of watches? If so I have a soft spot for them.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:35 AM   #9
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you think about the red gold fountain pen Meisterstück 149 fountain pen? Is this akin to rose gold of watches? If so I have a soft spot for them.
The 149 is a fairly large fountain pen and I suggest fondling one before you buy. Also try the 146 at the same time to see which fits your hand better.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:38 AM   #10
bharat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
The 149 is a fairly large fountain pen and I suggest fondling one before you buy. Also try the 146 at the same time to see which fits your hand better.
In watchspeak 149 akin to seadweller/Deepsea and 146 akin to submariner? Just to make it easier for me to relate to.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:46 AM   #11
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
Quote:
In watchspeak 149 akin to seadweller/Deepsea and 146 akin to submariner? Just to make it easier for me to relate to.
That's a great way to put it for a size comparison hahaha!
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:07 PM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And if you're offered to try a 269... get out, you're in the wrong type of shop

The larger MB FPs are also piston fill (entire body is like a syringe to draw & hold ink) vs smaller FPs which use cartridge or converter. Piston holds much more ink volume per fill which is good if you write a lot daily, not as good if you like changing inks often & need to wash it each time.

Also through the years... some FPs have changed from snap/pushon to screwon caps. Depending on how often & fast you need to uncap/recap a screwon could get annoying. Similarly annoying is the pushon cap models I like are mostly vintage discontinued; MB recycles their model numbers & names too so can be big differences between vintage & current pens of the same appellation.

As for rollerballs... MB refills are ok but Pilot G2 still feels better & more widely usable (ie plenty of aftermarket pen body makers who use G2 guts).

I'm not a brandname guy, don't care for luxury brands just because it's trendy - I buy what gives good reliable service.

Nice fellas at local MB boutique though
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Only a fountain pen will flow as fast as your mind does.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:56 PM   #14
bharat
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the input. Pleased to inform you that (as usual TRF has influenced me to spend more money than I had planned!) and I have ordered the Meisterstück Red Gold 149 Fountain Pen #112666 along with a bottle of Toffee Brown Ink! Delivery is scheduled for today! Needless to say I am excited beyond measure! Thanks TRF!
Old 16 January 2018, 09:50 PM   #15
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. Pleased to inform you that (as usual TRF has influenced me to spend more money than I had planned!) and I have ordered the Meisterstück Red Gold 149 Fountain Pen #112666 along with a bottle of Toffee Brown Ink! Delivery is scheduled for today! Needless to say I am excited beyond measure! Thanks TRF!
Without pictures it never happened. Actually these days even with pictures it may not have happened.
Old 16 January 2018, 09:54 PM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good choice. Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 10:20 PM   #17
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good choice! Enjoy it. Let's see it and some action pics with the ink when they arrive

Old 16 January 2018, 11:05 PM   #18
bharat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Without pictures it never happened. Actually these days even with pictures it may not have happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Good choice. Congratulations.
Quote:
Good choice! Enjoy it. Let's see it and some action pics with the ink when they arrive

Pictures will be taken tonight and posted my friends! There is a fly in the ointment in that the temperature outside is currently 10F (-12C), so I hope the ink doesn't freeze in transit!
Old 16 January 2018, 11:40 PM   #19
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pictures will be taken tonight and posted my friends! There is a fly in the ointment in that the temperature outside is currently 10F (-12C), so I hope the ink doesn't freeze in transit!
I know that feeling. It's only 50F/10C here right now and the temperature due to drop from now on until Friday. We won't get back into even the 60sF until then.
Old 24 March 2022, 12:03 AM   #20
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Hello all...

I am facing the same choice today: MB Rollerball or MB Ballpoint.

I already have three Meisterstuck MB fountain pens from 30 years ago and they still work quite well. But I want to get a Roller or Ball this time. I was at the MB shop yesterday and they did not have any in stock (would call me in a week or two) but was able to try both. The Rollerball definitely writes better and almost feels like a fountain pen. The ink is also darker because it is water based. But the SA said I should get a Ballpoint because I already have three fountains and the ballpoint would complement the collection. I do like that the ballpoint is only a twist and has no cover to lose, but I am not too fond of the rather lighter shade of ink that is oil based.

I will let you guys know when they call me back.

Old 24 March 2022, 02:43 AM   #21
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Roller if you plan to use it frequently. Nicer feel and i believe less hand fatigue over time. I like both but i get roller when i think i will use it frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 04:30 AM   #22
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I like rollerballs better for writing than ballpoints, but MB rollerball refills are expensive and they have a reputation of going dry quickly. You can refill them by pulling off the plastic cap and eye dropping fountain pen ink into them, but you need to research inks as the density of the ink makes a difference. Too thin and it doesn't work well as is the same with the ink being too thick.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2022, 03:28 AM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Broad ballpoint refill.Fantastic !
MB Rollerball great for a few days but then goes dryish .Cross better .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 02:21 PM   #24
BobtheBaby
"TRF" Member

In my experience the MB ballpoints are not that great. In my Parker style pens I use the Schmidt easy flow 9000 refills, and the MB ballpoints do not write as well as quickly.
BobtheBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 08:24 AM   #25
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I second the Schmidt easy flow 9000's. I have all ballpoints with these refills, ST DuPont, Cartier and MB.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote