The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 May 2021, 09:09 AM   #1
woodedareas
"TRF" Member

Cost of Rolex Service

I was told today by the Rolex store that service has a minimum of $800, and then more for other items that may need to be changed or replaced. Is this true and are there any other options? By the time they are done, I assume it could cost1,000 or more for an old Rolex with an estimated value of 5,000. Doesn't seem worth it. Any suggestions?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Depends on if they are quoting for their Rolex service, or a service by the Rolex Service Center.

The RSC usually has a basic service charge starting around $650, depending on the model. The RSC also includes most of the parts that wear, including pinions, and wheels (gears), mainsprings, acrylic crystals, and all of the seals.

It may cost a thousand though, if you need new crown/tube, sapphire crystals, etc.
Old 8 May 2021, 10:34 AM   #3
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Aks if they're sending it to the RSC and if so, which one. But that's about the going rate. For a simple service, you won't get much change out of a thousand dollars.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 11:22 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
By the time they are done, I assume it could cost1,000 or more for an old Rolex with an estimated value of 5,000. Doesn't seem worth it. Any suggestions?

Which Rolex model are you referencing? You may be surprised by what it could be worth.

But there are independent watchmaker options that could save one or two hundred by not replacing parts that still have some life in them and by charging less for labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:24 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Price quoted is normal.
Once every 10 or 15 years that’s cheap. Wish my car maintenance was like this.

Only you can decide if it’s worth it to you.
Old 8 May 2021, 10:34 PM   #6
RatDog19
"TRF" Member

Larry, what do you think of a non-RSC like Rolliworks in CA? I know that some years from now my watch will need some love. I'm wondering what your expertise would say about going with official vs. non-official. I hear Rolliworks does really nice work.
RatDog19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 03:44 AM   #7
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog19 View Post
Larry, what do you think of a non-RSC like Rolliworks in CA? I know that some years from now my watch will need some love. I'm wondering what your expertise would say about going with official vs. non-official. I hear Rolliworks does really nice work.

If you’re in the Bay Area, give Independent Watch Service Center a call. Most honest guy I’ve come across. Talking me out of work the watch didn’t need is not something you run into every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:50 AM   #8
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatDog19 View Post
Nothing wrong with an independent if the watchmaker is CW-21 qualified and can get Rolex parts.

Rolliworks specialty is bracelet refurbishment and I would not hesitate to use them for that rather than shell out for a new or on-line used one.
Old 10 May 2021, 08:24 PM   #9
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was told today by the Rolex store that service has a minimum of $800, and then more for other items that may need to be changed or replaced. Is this true and are there any other options? By the time they are done, I assume it could cost1,000 or more for an old Rolex with an estimated value of 5,000. Doesn't seem worth it. Any suggestions?
I bought a new Explorer (ref 214270) in January 2016 and it has quit running. Geez, just out of warranty. The watch is probably worth about $5K so I'm not sure if I'll be sending it off for a $1K repair.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:40 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
I bought a new Explorer (ref 214270) in January 2016 and it has quit running. Geez, just out of warranty. The watch is probably worth about $5K so I'm not sure if I'll be sending it off for a $1K repair.
It’s worth sending it in ASAP. While it’s not a certainty, often discretion is used to extend the warranty when there’s an issue just outside of the expiration date (typically up to six months).

Again, that’s not a guarantee and they are within their rights to produce a chargeable estimate. But they can and do offer goodwill from time to time
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Andad

Watch: A few.
Can you post it to Scott?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 10:17 AM   #12
A_Milli
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
For something that is done like once in about 10 years, i think that is cost efficient
A_Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 11:36 AM   #13
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Mechanical watches have to be serviced.

I have felt this pain but is part of the deal and either keep it running or sell on the cheap in a non-running state.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:06 PM   #14
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It’s worth sending it in ASAP. While it’s not a certainty, often discretion is used to extend the warranty when there’s an issue just outside of the expiration date (typically up to six months).

Again, that’s not a guarantee and they are within their rights to produce a chargeable estimate. But they can and do offer goodwill from time to time
Thanks! I have sent it out for service and am hoping for the best!
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 06:24 AM   #15
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The cost also does depend on the complications. My Yachtmaster cost $850 at an RSC (I was quoted $600 at a reputable LA watchmaker). I inferred that a Sub or DJ would cost the same. I was told that a GMT function, Daytona, etc. would cost more. I can’t speak to a DD. Certain components (about 20) supposedly need to be replaced with the service, but other parts (such as a crystal) would cost more.

I’m glad you’re getting your Explorer fixed. I’m not happy spending the $$ on service, but I also wanted a high end mechanical watch. My husband got an automatic movement TAG 20 years ago. It doesn’t keep good time and he probably hasn’t worn it for 10 years, but it’s not worth getting fixed.

I see it as the price we pay for a fine piece of mechanical equipment. My AMG MBZ costs more to service than a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord would (no knock at all on the Toyota or Honda). I joke that no one wants to hear how much it costs to change the oil on your Bentley…
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
It depends on which Rolex you have and if there are any additional parts broken that would not be covered under the service cost.

Basic service cost for a perpetual is €550, and runs up to €1000+ for an older professional model.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:05 AM   #17
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Call Tom the owner, ask him what it might take also he give a discount for military and TRF members! 100% Trust these guys with all my service needs.

http://www.dstimeservice.com/

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 08:19 AM   #18
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Just posted off my 1680 for a service
The main spring had broken
The service is going to cost £240 plus parts which hopefully is just the spring
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 02:19 AM   #19
RobotDoctor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I just called my RSC and they said that service for my 116710LN would start at $750 and would rise with replacement of links, crystal, etc is needed. Fortunately nothing like that needs to be replaced on my 116710LN. Just need service (the first one and I am over due).
RobotDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 12:17 AM   #20
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Depends on if they are quoting for their Rolex service, or a service by the Rolex Service Center.

The RSC usually has a basic service charge starting around $650, depending on the model. The RSC also includes most of the parts that wear, including pinions, and wheels (gears), mainsprings, acrylic crystals, and all of the seals.

It may cost a thousand though, if you need new crown/tube, sapphire crystals, etc.
Bringing this back, as I searched but couldn’t find my answer elsewhere. In addition to these “consumables” that are changed with every service by Rolex, do they also replace the crown and tube or anything else as standard on each service? I’ll be back home next month, so plan to send my ExpII to RSC Dallas for its service.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:21 PM   #21
tvf12
"TRF" Member

Curious, I dropped my pelagos off at a local AD today and was told it had to be sent to Texas as their on site watchsmith couldn't work on it. It's a original two line 2824 based one. I was told I could be looking at roughly $900 if a full movement service is needed and 5 weeks. It's from 2012 no known service history prior to my ownership so it's probably due (it was loosing 30 seconds per day suddenly the last few weeks), I was a bit surprised at the potential cost. It's one of my most worn so ultimately I'll live with the cost if that's what it is, but I selected a local AD with an on site watchsmith hoping to see a quicker turn around. Since this is my first time round with a service, does this seem in line?
tvf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:06 AM   #22
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
in 2016 I had my 16610 services by a local AD with watchmaker on staff. They are a RSC in Pittsburgh. Cost was 1050 dollars for replacement of rotor staff causing whirring sound typical for design.

Then a year ago I sent my Victorinox Swiss Army ETA day/date automatic to them and full service was 650.

Just gives you an idea but lower to higher end brands.
Old 7 October 2021, 06:09 AM   #23
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvf12 View Post
Curious, I dropped my pelagos off at a local AD today and was told it had to be sent to Texas as their on site watchsmith couldn't work on it. It's a original two line 2824 based one. I was told I could be looking at roughly $900 if a full movement service is needed and 5 weeks. It's from 2012 no known service history prior to my ownership so it's probably due (it was loosing 30 seconds per day suddenly the last few weeks), I was a bit surprised at the potential cost. It's one of my most worn so ultimately I'll live with the cost if that's what it is, but I selected a local AD with an on site watchsmith hoping to see a quicker turn around. Since this is my first time round with a service, does this seem in line?
AD plucking figures out of thin air, the service will be far, far cheaper than that on an ETA Pelagos
lennywilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 02:29 PM   #24
big5safari
"TRF" Member

I spoke with my local AD and the rep told me that it would be $1100 to service my Submariner at RSC. Does this sound right?

Regards,
big5safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 03:39 AM   #25
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big5safari View Post
I spoke with my local AD and the rep told me that it would be $1100 to service my Submariner at RSC. Does this sound right?

Regards,
Sounds high, unless its 30+ years old.
Old 15 October 2021, 04:26 AM   #26
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by big5safari View Post

Regards,
Your AD doesn't know and is guessing, although it could run this high.

Rolex has a basic charge, which is much less than 1100. If it requires parts not covered by the basic charge, such as a new sapphire crystal, or it needs the crown and tube replaced, it would cost more.

The RSC provides a detailed cost estimate of things recommended, and things required. You must approve the charges before they do the work, so you will not be surprised by the RSC.

However, if you give it to the AD, they become the customer and Rolex sends all correspondence to them, you might never see that estimate or know what your AD has approved. This can lead to surprises.
Old 27 October 2021, 03:18 AM   #27
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
Took my LV into a local Ad yesterday to be repaired after a fall last year. When I took it in little over a year ago it was quoted for service at 850.00
Fast forward to yesterday and the service for a "professional" model (Sub) was now 1100.00. There were other charges for the repairs need but the service was 1100.00 When I Inquired as to the increase I was given "covid" as the reason. The funny thing I thought was this AD does the service/repair in house.
Who knows.They also showed me a Rolex document listing these prices for service on all models. So I think its official

Last edited by forgedblades; 27 October 2021 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: forgot
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 03:20 AM   #28
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

There was also 2 wall displays as well a a huge floor case with ZERO watches. Asked about stock they said nothing. No clue when they would get any models.Unreal
Old 29 October 2021, 12:41 AM   #29
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedblades View Post
Took my LV into a local Ad yesterday to be repaired after a fall last year. When I took it in little over a year ago it was quoted for service at 850.00
Fast forward to yesterday and the service for a "professional" model (Sub) was now 1100.00. There were other charges for the repairs need but the service was 1100.00 When I Inquired as to the increase I was given "covid" as the reason. The funny thing I thought was this AD does the service/repair in house.
Who knows.They also showed me a Rolex document listing these prices for service on all models. So I think its official
$1100 will be for a 30xx/15xx Submariner.

$850 will be for a 31xx/32xx Submariner.
Old 29 October 2021, 06:46 AM   #30
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennywilkins View Post
$1100 will be for a 30xx/15xx Submariner.

$850 will be for a 31xx/32xx Submariner.

Not according to what I saw. But no worries.