The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 May 2020, 08:32 AM   #1
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114060
Trading my Daytona for an Offshore

Hi guys so I’ve been eyeing the offshore collection for a while I am a fan of the sporty rubber band look and admire the detail put into an AP.

For people who have owned the offshore collection would you trade a white dial Daytona for a 26400IO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshCashEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 09:17 AM   #2
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
I would do it:
1) Wearing an AP for me is a far more exciting experience in a sea of rolexes. Granted the Daytona is a special Rolex compared to the sea of submariners and explorers but really neither the experience of wearing an AP or seeing one can compare. You can go days without seeing anyone else wear an AP but you can’t pass 30min outside without seeing a Rolex.
2) no matter how comfortable the Daytona bracelet is, it can’t match the comfort of a rubber on titanium. It’s an impressively sized watch but so light.
3) the ceramic bezel is a must on such a big watch. They tend to catch things....

Here is mine. My ti is my daily so i have taken off the ridiculous gray original strap for a black one which matches everything so much better....

Along with the one below i have several more (RG, RO 15000st) but nothing beats the ti for daily and if i had to keep one this would be it because it gets the most wrist time and for me that is the most important factor...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 11:56 AM   #3
rodo
"TRF" Member

How is the durability of the titanium vs steel?

And i understand you changed the grey strap for black; isn’t it too “grey” otherwise? I love the dial on the so
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 12:52 PM   #4
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Love the Daytona, and had a Few in PM. They all eventually left because they wore small, too busy, not enough lume, no date, no special ceramic Bezel for PM Rolex...Just my opinion.

I jumped to a Bucherer Scuba Tec for the same reasons as Rumnyc went to AP

The strap is so comfortable, and much more visually exciting, and exclusive, and wears proper for a Man who thinks the Daytona is small... However, my CB is in Full RoseGold so it also has the heft...

Congrat's in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rg5sml.jpg (26.0 KB, 990 views)
File Type: jpg rg1sml.jpg (26.9 KB, 990 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 01:11 PM   #5
yoast
"TRF" Member

There is a huge size difference, so better to try before you buy
Old 7 May 2020, 01:38 PM   #6
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
How is the durability of the titanium vs steel?

And i understand you changed the grey strap for black; isn’t it too “grey” otherwise? I love the dial on the so
it is too gray with oem strap. and its a weird warm gray with some brownish tint which probably makes the watch look as bad it can be made to look.

the watch looks much better with black because the contrast perfectly matches the titanium+black look with black bezel and buttons. they do give a second strap for free so its basically a free black strap. i got a few ones like the gp alcantara/leather with red sides and the black leather but the rubber is too comfortable for everyday. i don't have to worry about humid summer heat.
Old 7 May 2020, 03:47 PM   #7
Texas4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I love my ROO’s
I have two in the 42mm, one RG, one SS. Both are so comfortable and like was said before, where I live you see a bunch of rolex but hardly ever any AP.

Texas4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

Have you thought about picking up the 26405CE.02? Because it is all black, it wears smaller.

It is my favorite piece, and daily wearer.
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 09:05 AM   #9
csj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
it is too gray with oem strap. and its a weird warm gray with some brownish tint which probably makes the watch look as bad it can be made to look.

the watch looks much better with black because the contrast perfectly matches the titanium+black look with black bezel and buttons. they do give a second strap for free so its basically a free black strap. i got a few ones like the gp alcantara/leather with red sides and the black leather but the rubber is too comfortable for everyday. i don't have to worry about humid summer heat.
Where were you able to get a second strap for free?
csj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 09:07 AM   #10
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

I got it from the AD. I think all the 44mm comes with 2 straps. My Ti and my RG both came with 2 straps and i got the Ti from AD and RG from boutique. They will happily let you switch the two straps to other colors from their stock as well.

Old 8 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #11
Rockland
"TRF" Member

I wear the Ti daily. My Batman gets zero wrist time since I got the Ti. I love the grey strap personally.
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 01:08 PM   #12
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I have both. The AP gets 99% of the wrist time over the Daytona. Heck, the Daytona even still has the plastic on it. Go figure.
10XRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 01:29 PM   #13
csj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got it from the AD. I think all the 44mm comes with 2 straps. My Ti and my RG both came with 2 straps and i got the Ti from AD and RG from boutique. They will happily let you switch the two straps to other colors from their stock as well.

Interesting... Mine came from AD with only one strap. And on AP website it doesn't say that another strap is included as it normally would say whenever two straps are included with purchase. Mine has been stuck in clearwater at service due to the pandemic, I will have to inquire about the second strap when they reopen. Thanks for the insight!
Old 8 May 2020, 02:44 PM   #14
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome thanks for all the feedback! I was wondering what to expect as far as durability? I take care of my watches but do I need to baby the watch?!
Old 8 May 2020, 02:54 PM   #15
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The offshore is one of the few watches in my collection that just makes me smile and feel like a badass every single time I wear it. I have more expensive watches, I have more classic watches (Jumbo, nautilus, daytona, sub), but none of them make me feel like my offshore.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 02:57 PM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
The offshore is one of the few watches in my collection that just makes me smile and feel like a badass every single time I wear it. I have more expensive watches, I have more classic watches (Jumbo, nautilus, daytona, sub), but none of them make me feel like my offshore.
Don’t forget to get all the bracelet and strap options- that’s half the fun!!!

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 08:31 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshCashEmAll View Post
Awesome thanks for all the feedback! I was wondering what to expect as far as durability? I take care of my watches but do I need to baby the watch?!
Not this one, very well protected, I have the RG and barely a mark on the case in 3 years. I like the Daytona so I'd keep that and trade your sub and whatever else you have if poss.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 08:32 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Don’t forget to get all the bracelet and strap options- that’s half the fun!!!

Great shots, love all the strap options.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 02:47 PM   #19
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csj View Post
Interesting... Mine came from AD with only one strap. And on AP website it doesn't say that another strap is included as it normally would say whenever two straps are included with purchase. Mine has been stuck in clearwater at service due to the pandemic, I will have to inquire about the second strap when they reopen. Thanks for the insight!

Is yours a 44mm ROO? Only my 44mm ones came with 2 straps and the box itself had a space for an extra strap next to the hole for the watch. all the ones that have extra strap have a special slot on the box for the 2nd strap.

Old 9 May 2020, 03:54 PM   #20
csj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is yours a 44mm ROO? Only my 44mm ones came with 2 straps and the box itself had a space for an extra strap next to the hole for the watch. all the ones that have extra strap have a special slot on the box for the 2nd strap.

Yes, 26400io purchased from AD. No slot for a second strap though.
Old 9 May 2020, 08:35 PM   #21
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I’ve long since maintained that the Daytona is perfect for a one watch collection! Robust, goes with everything, and comes in a number of different material, bracelet, bezel, and dial combinations to suit any taste. If I had to have just one watch, it would be the Daytona.

But...as part of a collection which can accommodate watches for different environments/activities, the Daytona is not such a winner. For instance, my 116519 is amazing but it’s not as rugged as my Sea Dweller, not as useful as my Pepsi, not as cool as my Offshore, not as smart as my Royal Oak, and not as special as my Nautilus.

So, as much as I like my Daytona, it doesn’t get much wrist-time these days as it’s a jack of all trades, rather than a master of one...and my days rarely have sufficient variety that I need to wear the jack of all trades.

So, if it’s your only watch, so not trade for an Offshore. If you have other watches, the Offshore is a winner, so much cooler and more special.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 07:40 AM   #22
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
I have multiples of both, Daytona's get a great deal more time than the roo's. Though my preference is towards smaller size at the moment.
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 07:45 AM   #23
smk210
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
Well I will only because of the limited availability of the AP.
smk210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #24
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Great decision
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #25
1Orologio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still searching...
Good question and one that resonates with many of us.
I never owned a Daytona, just never sang to me.

I am in the AP camp, if I had to make a choice it is quite easy for me...

I also believe you get a much different wrist experience as I find the Daytona more understated.
1Orologio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:22 AM   #26
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Would take the 116519LN over the AP ;)
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:50 AM   #27
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I would not.

I'm currently in my 3rd Daytona, and have owned 5 Royal Oaks, only one Offshore (Diver).

Nothing wrong with the RO, but versions larger than 39mm are too big for me.

When it comes to offshores I feel there are way to many versions and special editions, prices have really taken a dive (even before Covid19) so if you buy preowned you can find a good deal.
Old 21 May 2020, 03:59 AM   #28
psv
"TRF" Member

I'd keep the Daytona, and perhaps add the RO. It is much bigger and heftier on the wrist, and has much more wrist presence (a good or bad thing depending on who you ask).

Also, I made the mistake of selling my 116500 and now I cannot get it back (from AD,t hat is).
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 04:50 AM   #29
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I would in a heartbeat. Love my 44, still one of my favs despite owning pieces that are much more sought after on TRF. Lot of watch for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0312.jpeg (167.0 KB, 418 views)
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 05:01 AM   #30
AshCashEmAll
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m currently thinking of just adding instead of trading. Just waiting for the right price and the right model I don’t want to just buy any offshore and want to pick a color/style I think is more versatile.