The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 June 2019, 07:52 PM   #1
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Best overnight position when not wearing?

I have an older (2005) Yacht Master, recently overhauled. Before the service, the watch was gaining 2 minutes a week. Still runs a bit fast, gaining about 4-5 seconds per day. Overnight, I place the watch on edge, crown down. Is there a better position to slow it down a bit more?
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:23 PM   #2
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
In the distant past, Rolex used to recommend "side on" resting would probably speed up a watch and horizontal slow it down.

I don't think that is necessarily applicable to modern movements though. The only reliable answer is to either test it yourself in different positions, or have it put on a timing machine.

Didn't the watchmaker who serviced it give you the timing results ?
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:14 PM   #3
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 10:12 PM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
In the distant past, Rolex used to recommend "side on" resting would probably speed up a watch and horizontal slow it down.

I don't think that is necessarily applicable to modern movements though. The only reliable answer is to either test it yourself in different positions, or have it put on a timing machine.

You are spot on. The advice card (see above post) was supplied by Rolex in the 1960s - although it no doubt was around for a while after that. The wisdom that it imparts is not applicable to watches made since the 1980s.

If following the card does work then that’s great, but it’s also sheer chance. The positional error of a Rolex has a tolerance across five positions, but it does not state which positions should do what.

Incidentally, the Rolex advice card also teaches you how to set the time to the second - because it is from the pre hacking seconds era. (It also suggests you store your cigarettes in your watch box, because of course you smoke, it’s the 1960s )
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
You are spot on. The advice card (see above post) was supplied by Rolex in the 1960s - although it no doubt was around for a while after that. The wisdom that it imparts is not applicable to watches made since the 1980s.

If following the card does work then that’s great, but it’s also sheer chance. The positional error of a Rolex has a tolerance across five positions, but it does not state which positions should do what.

Incidentally, the Rolex advice card also teaches you how to set the time to the second - because it is from the pre hacking seconds era. (It also suggests you store your cigarettes in your watch box, because of course you smoke, it’s the 1960s )
Exactly right, including the cigarettes. Amazing that on watch forums people still peddle this resting protocol, but if you may have noticed watch forums are vast pits of bad information. Just wear it. In time it will settle in and probably be a bit more accurate. After a true service you're basically starting with a new movement.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 01:27 PM   #6
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
If it’s lost a few seconds during the day I store dial up. If it’s gained a few seconds during the day I store 12oclock up. Luckily my watch seems to gain 1.5 seconds a day so I store it 12 up, which I like because I can see the time perfectly from bed.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
For my newer DJII resting positions seem not to matter as I have rested it in my static winder with the crown at the 3-6-9 & 12 position and it pretty much never gained or lost a second while resting for 12 hrs and laying flat seemed to be the same but when wearing it gains a solid +3 everyday which is weird to me but as stated by seasoned members here gravity and lots of other things play a huge roll in accuracy.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMdR View Post
If it’s lost a few seconds during the day I store dial up. If it’s gained a few seconds during the day I store 12oclock up. Luckily my watch seems to gain 1.5 seconds a day so I store it 12 up, which I like because I can see the time perfectly from bed.
How do you store 12 up ?
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Old 13 June 2019, 10:33 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
How do you store 12 up ?

On a watch holder

Also works 6 up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:28 AM   #10
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
On a watch holder

Also works 6 up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very classy stand and I love the 6 up position
Old 14 June 2019, 05:28 AM   #11
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Isn't the least amount of friction on the pivots in the dial up position?
BTW, I do enjoy a fine Cuban cigar on occasion and pretty sure some of our friends over in London do the same. But I don't store cigars in my watch box nor use it as an ash tray.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:09 AM   #12
Desrochers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116264, 116518LN
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what did Rolex suggest in order to set the time to the second?

Incidentally, my great uncle allegedly stored cigarettes in his watch box until his wife bought him a ceramic cigarette box for the coffee table.
Desrochers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:13 AM   #13
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrochers View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did Rolex suggest in order to set the time to the second?
The normal method for a non-hacking watch is to stop the movement by slight "backwards" pressure on the crown when in the hand setting position, and releasing it at the correct point.

Works most easily if the watch is only slightly wound. It also depends on the cannon pinion being tight enough - if it isn't or if the mainspring has too much power in it, it won't work.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:34 PM   #14
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, I have it on a small slip of paper the watchmaker gave me, conveniently stores about 5000 miles from where I have been for the past few months.
Old 20 June 2019, 06:38 PM   #15
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Incidentally, my great uncle allegedly stored cigarettes in his watch box until his wife bought him a ceramic cigarette box for the coffee table.
I never asked how to set a watch to the second. I go to the Atomic Clock online and set my watch with that reference, not exactly brain surgery.
Old 20 June 2019, 06:45 PM   #16
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl3150 View Post
I never asked how to set a watch to the second. I go to the Atomic Clock online and set my watch with that reference, not exactly brain surgery.
Desrochers was asking what the recommendation was for setting the time to the second on a watch with a seconds hand that does not stop when you pull the crown out.

Quote:
The normal method for a non-hacking watch is to stop the movement by slight "backwards" pressure on the crown when in the hand setting position, and releasing it at the correct point.

Works most easily if the watch is only slightly wound. It also depends on the cannon pinion being tight enough - if it isn't or if the mainspring has too much power in it, it won't work.
This is what the instruction card says
Old 20 June 2019, 06:47 PM   #17
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Isn't the least amount of friction on the pivots in the dial up position?
BTW, I do enjoy a fine Cuban cigar on occasion and pretty sure some of our friends over in London do the same. But I don't store cigars in my watch box nor use it as an ash tray.
Dial up or dial down should both have near as makes no difference amounts of friction.

You've given me a good idea. One of the new style XL boxes could be converted to a humidor
Old 24 June 2019, 04:11 PM   #18
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
each watch might be slightly different in terms of rate variation crown up or crown down... best to get a timegrapher and see what your watch is doing.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 09:20 PM   #19
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
each watch might be slightly different in terms of rate variation crown up or crown down... best to get a timegrapher and see what your watch is doing.
Is there a particular one you would recommend that won’t break the bank
Old 24 June 2019, 09:29 PM   #20
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Search timegrapher on amazon. ~$135. I think those are pretty much the same. Pretty basic functions, but it works.

Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 09:30 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
You do not want a timegrapher.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 09:54 PM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 03:21 AM   #23
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
This.
I agree with Peter and Bas on this.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Old 25 June 2019, 05:27 AM   #24
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with Peter and Bas on this.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

How exactly is it that knowing a resting position could be “dangerous “?

Old 25 June 2019, 05:47 AM   #25
Swede71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II, BB41,

My BB41 ETA runs -1 second per day lying face/dial down every night.
Other positions, up to -6 seconds per day.

My DJ II runs 0 to +1 second a day with dial facing forward/upright position at night.
Other positions +3 seconds per day.

That my results after some testing

Swede71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 07:44 AM   #26
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

The only reason I would like to think about getting one is to determine the best resting position, my DJII runs a tad fast and Tudor BB runs a tad slow and if I could figure out quickly the best rest positions it would help.

I’m sure I could accomplish the same thing by letting it rest the same way all week and then do another week in another position and calculate the loss or gain over the week
Old 25 June 2019, 08:27 AM   #27
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
How exactly is it that knowing a resting position could be “dangerous “?

Knowing what a watch is doing in a particular position is not in itself dangerous.

What I meant was buying a timegrapher without a proper understanding of what the numbers mean and how a watch is timed and judged, can lead to problems and headaches over nothing.

I’m not saying it’s rocket science, but a lot of people but these machines and complain that their watch isn’t performing well. When in fact the numbers are all good.
Old 25 June 2019, 09:54 AM   #28
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Knowing what a watch is doing in a particular position is not in itself dangerous.

What I meant was buying a timegrapher without a proper understanding of what the numbers mean and how a watch is timed and judged, can lead to problems and headaches over nothing.

I’m not saying it’s rocket science, but a lot of people but these machines and complain that their watch isn’t performing well. When in fact the numbers are all good.

I get that, but for some people, half the enjoyment of toys is learning about them. I personally find it beneficial to see how the watch responds to different positions, and how it may vary over time, as well as comparing it with on wrist performance.

All due respect, you don’t have to be a watchmaker to gain an understanding of timing.

Next thing you know you’ll be telling me to get rid of my eye loupe ;)

Old 25 June 2019, 11:21 AM   #29
1mlee0916
"TRF" Member

Slightly buzzed after a few glasses of wine with the wifey...

Just realized...the title of this thread could be interpreted in a vastly different way

1mlee0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 04:06 PM   #30
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
I get that, but for some people, half the enjoyment of toys is learning about them. I personally find it beneficial to see how the watch responds to different positions, and how it may vary over time, as well as comparing it with on wrist performance.

All due respect, you don’t have to be a watchmaker to gain an understanding of timing.

Next thing you know you’ll be telling me to get rid of my eye loupe ;)

Of course you don't have to be a watchmaker to understand these readings.
Customers who 'know it all' are the biggest pain in the @ss, just because you can read a timegrapher doesn't mean you understand what is actually going on. Too much of that going on these days, customers that think they know more than the watchmaker.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote