The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2019, 05:45 AM   #61
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Bad ass! I barely see any marks at all, looks beautiful!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:55 AM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Its a great watch for sure and not worth 80k dollars indeed as today I see they are asking 80k pounds!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:04 AM   #63
Aquaman
Banned

gotta to say great watch, and even greater TRF member
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:39 AM   #64
ragsk
Banned

So these resellers who are currently selling 5711/1R at £90k to £100k for a new one ($115k to $130k ish) what would they offer to buy one for?

£70k ?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:54 AM   #65
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
So these resellers who are currently selling 5711/1R at £90k to £100k for a new one ($115k to $130k ish) what would they offer to buy one for?

£70k ?
Their margins are huge, I would be surprised even if WF offered £ 60K for a 5711R.

Recently a grey dealer in Yorkshire offered £ 100K trade in value for my 5740G if I trade it in and get a "super rare" 5271P from them
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:04 AM   #66
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Their margins are huge, I would be surprised even if WF offered £ 60K for a 5711R.

Recently a grey dealer in Yorkshire offered £ 100K trade in value for my 5740G if I trade it in and get a "super rare" 5271P from them
Then its all a bit of a joke. Private individuals can never hope to achieve anywhere near those prices......

Seems like its the greys feeding themselves more and more margin by continually increasing prices.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:14 AM   #67
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Then its all a bit of a joke. Private individuals can never hope to achieve anywhere near those prices......
I disagree with this. I have always got very close to TS prices when I have sold things here before. I also do not believe the grays margins are that huge when they buy from us, they seem to always pay reasonable prices to leave themselves what I would consider, a fair margin for their service/network.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:19 AM   #68
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I disagree with this. I have always got very close to TS prices when I have sold things here before. I also do not believe the grays margins are that huge when they buy from us, they seem to always pay reasonable prices to leave themselves what I would consider, a fair margin for their service/network.

ok would you consider a 80k mark up reasonable? dependent on any watch u are seeking to trade
Old 20 June 2019, 07:22 AM   #69
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
I don't know about grey dealers in the US, in the UK their margins are huge. On the previous page Tyler mentioned that he was offered below retail for his 5712A by WF and that was 6 months ago.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:23 AM   #70
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
ok would you consider a 80k mark up reasonable?
What? A TS would pay you well over market for a in demand piece like 5711/5712. What do you think their margins are? Have you ever sold to one yourself? I have and never had a bad experience or thought I was getting a raw deal. I have also sold myself here and always got very close to their asking prices. We are not talking about if secondary pricing is "reasonable" or not, that is what it is, gray or myself selling my 5712.

If I sold my 5712, I would list it myself at whatever the market price is. I would get countless offers from grays at what I would suspect to be 5-10% less than my ask. One just sold private here in the FS section, very quickly, and he looks to have got very close to what market is. If you do not want to deal with that yourself, 5-10% to sell to a gray seems reasonable to me.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:30 AM   #71
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
What? A TS would pay you well over market for a in demand piece like 5711/5712. What do you think their margins are? Have you ever sold to one yourself? I have and never had a bad experience or thought I was getting a raw deal. I have also sold myself here and always got very close to their asking prices. We are not talking about if secondary pricing is "reasonable" or not, that is what it is, gray or myself selling my 5712.

If I sold my 5712, I would list it myself at whatever the market price is. I would get countless offers from grays at what I would suspect to be 5-10% less than my ask. One just sold private here in the FS section, very quickly, and he looks to have got very close to what market is. If you do not want to deal with that yourself, 5-10% to sell to a gray seems reasonable to me.
i asked regardless of piece, thats all i know of a friend who saw something on the market for 280, but when he spoke to them only got the offer of 200
Old 20 June 2019, 07:34 AM   #72
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I was offered 44K GBP for my 5711 yesterday, however of course this wont buy me a 5712!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:35 AM   #73
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
i asked regardless of piece, thats all i know of a friend who saw something on the market for 280, but when he spoke to them only got the offer of 200
So your friend saw a piece at a gray, which he has, asking 280K. Then he went to sell his and they offered 200K? First off, that's one expensive watch and not likely to move quickly, so I wouldn't cast such a large net over the grays because of it. Also, would the gray really want two hard to move pieces like that in inventory without some big upside? Its a risk hedge and exactly what any one of us would likely do. Not many buyers out there for such a watch and its going to sit for a while. Then the market tanks and you are stuck with it even longer. Again, I think its an unfair generalization on the gray industry which does do us a very valuable service in my opinion and experience.

To each their own.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:41 AM   #74
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Wow, the trade in offer for the 5740G sounds pretty low. Trade in prices are usually well above a straight sale price which would suggest a below MSRP offer would be forthcoming.
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:42 AM   #75
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
So your friend saw a piece at a gray, which he has, asking 280K. Then he went to sell his and they offered 200K? First off, that's one expensive watch and not likely to move quickly, so I wouldn't cast such a large net over the grays because of it. Also, would the gray really want two hard to move pieces like that in inventory without some big upside? Its a risk hedge and exactly what any one of us would likely do. Not many buyers out there for such a watch and its going to sit for a while. Then the market tanks and you are stuck with it even longer. Again, I think its an unfair generalization on the gray industry which does do us a very valuable service in my opinion and experience.

To each their own.
i was just asking
Old 20 June 2019, 07:49 AM   #76
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
You clearly do well. Based on the prices grey are bidding at it appears their margins are indeed huge. I am talking about the UK - maybe it differs in the US.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:51 AM   #77
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You clearly do well. Based on the prices grey are bidding at it appears their margins are indeed huge. I am talking about the UK - maybe it differs in the US.
Could be very possible. Couldn't you sell to US grey dealers? I cannot see why not.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:55 AM   #78
ragsk
Banned

No i am not selling. Will keep my watches esp the Pateks, APs and Rolexes.

Just giving my observation
Old 20 June 2019, 07:58 AM   #79
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No i am not selling. Will keep my watches esp the Pateks, APs and Rolexes.

Just giving my observation
Didn't say you were. Just saying hypothetically, you could, if the issue is UK grey's vs US.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:58 AM   #80
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Wow, the trade in offer for the 5740G sounds pretty low. Trade in prices are usually well above a straight sale price which would suggest a below MSRP offer would be forthcoming.
When they made that offer I asked them about a cash buy and they said they would offer MSRP as the demand has significantly decreased because Patek had flooded the market with 5740Gs.
Old 20 June 2019, 08:01 AM   #81
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
When they made that offer I asked them about a cash buy and they said they would offer MSRP as the demand has significantly decreased because Patek had flooded the market with 5740Gs.

i finds the greys are chancers
Old 20 June 2019, 09:27 AM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I was offered 44K GBP for my 5711 yesterday, however of course this wont buy me a 5712!!
Nope Chronext's latest GBP prices are 70K and then 80K.

However give it a few weeks and they will offer over 50K, bid prices move up every month while ask prices move up every week.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:09 AM   #83
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11
It has held up reasonably well with some wrist awareness, but there are definitely quite a few hairlines on the polished bits that are visible in strong line.

It somewhat bothers me that a SS Nautilus has now become a status symbol first

1) Looks great. This is why Steel is better than PM for THIS watch.

2) I was hoping it would be a status a symbol but McD refuses to serve me at the table...I mean I walked in and sat down...and nothing.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:15 AM   #84
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
2) I was hoping it would be a status a symbol but McD refuses to serve me at the table...I mean I walked in and sat down...and nothing.
No wonder they call you the "Fat ninja". Couldn't pay me to eat at McDs. Consequence maybe is that I have the girliest wrists of all.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 11:26 AM   #85
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
No wonder they call you the "Fat ninja". Couldn't pay me to eat at McDs. Consequence maybe is that I have the girliest wrists of all.
I use to hunt for McRibs. :)

When i find it I eat 2. Maybe 3...

Yes u have girly wrist ;)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 05:12 PM   #86
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know about grey dealers in the US, in the UK their margins are huge. On the previous page Tyler mentioned that he was offered below retail for his 5712A by WF and that was 6 months ago.
WF offered me £44k to £45k for my 2017 5712a last week.
The last one they had for sale at the beginning of the year was up at £69k so they were looking at a 50% mark up. No idea if they achieved this or what they would ask for one now if they had one for sale.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 06:21 PM   #87
chonlei
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you guys know the true market price of 5740 if one buys in the secondary market? I see the lowest ask about $200k, so maybe they are trading at 170-180? I dont see 5740 trading at MSRP soon given the silly 5711/12 market prices.....
chonlei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:54 PM   #88
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:

Tell them to go kick rocks for 100K. That's a low ball offer. It should be in the 130K area.

On another note. 5980/1R & 5740G has same price now on secondary market.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:21 PM   #89
nikkstokes
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing. Amazing watch, and great write up.
nikkstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:30 PM   #90
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Let me to join too ,purchased in summer 2014 (with discounts),still looks fine,some marks in the bezel too but 2B honest I just don t care

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote