The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Lukasz23212
"TRF" Member

gap between 5196 and 5227?

why there is a gap between 5196 and 5227? if you want to buy an automatic Calatrava model you have to pay much more because 5296 models are discontinued..Model 5212a is also for higher price than 5296...Will be some automatic Calatrava models between price range 5196 and 5227/5212a?
Lukasz23212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
You should exclude the 5212 off a comparison list...it’s going to be unobtainable. Not getting a piece like this unless you have bought a lot of stuff

The 5196 is a really old movement in a no frills package , which is the charm...

Some would say its expensive for what it is.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Lukasz23212
"TRF" Member

ok but if you want a simple automatic Calatrava you have to pay round 30k euro ( in Europe). 5296 was 25k euro...there is nothing else between this price range...
Lukasz23212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:20 PM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Pricing of the 5227 was set high when it was released back in 2013. It is obtainable at a discount at ADs if you are interested in the piece.

With the decreased popularity of Calatrava dress watches over the years, Patek has consolidated their collection and discontinued many Calatrava models.

There are plenty of automatic Calatravas for sale in the preowned market. Many ADs may still have old atock 5296 for sale as well.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:17 AM   #5
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I bought my 5296G new last year. MSRP was 27k and the AD discounted it to 24k.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #6
Sylt
"TRF" Member

There will be more brand new Calatrava models to come next year.
Sylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:53 PM   #7
Sveng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylt View Post
There will be more brand new Calatrava models to come next year.
You've sparked my interest there. I'd be curious to know more. I'm in the market for a simple dress watch and the Calatrava is on my radar. Any reason why you expect new model releases?

Thanks
Sveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 01:20 PM   #8
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveng View Post
You've sparked my interest there. I'd be curious to know more. I'm in the market for a simple dress watch and the Calatrava is on my radar. Any reason why you expect new model releases?

Thanks
+1 curious as well...pls share if insights if any...!!
ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:49 PM   #9
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I think the gap in substance, and especially in price, is wide between the 5196 and the 5227. The 5227 is undeniably more watch than the 5196 - physically more substantial, automatic movement, lacquered dial, date, hinged back, etc.

I own the 5227R, and it's a remarkable watch with a tremendous amount of subtlety and nuance about it. Extremely elegant and classic, but also with a forward-looking touch. The size and weight add presence but do not take it outside of the timeless dress watch category. Also, with the curved case, sculpted lugs and hinged case back, the 5227R may be the ultimate stealth watch, understated elegance at its finest. The 5227 does not flaunt or show off, instead exudes quiet, confident gravitas.

But the pricing on the 5227 is admittedly up there, considering what it is. It's a great watch, but at its price you will pay fully for the value it offers.

Put it this way: I really like my 5227R, but in no way do I sense it was a deal or a bargain. With the 5227, you buy it because you really like the watch, and the price you pay will be in exchange for the full value it provides.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 04:52 AM   #10
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
I think the gap in substance, and especially in price, is wide between the 5196 and the 5227. The 5227 is undeniably more watch than the 5196 - physically more substantial, automatic movement, lacquered dial, date, hinged back, etc.

I own the 5227R, and it's a remarkable watch with a tremendous amount of subtlety and nuance about it. Extremely elegant and classic, but also with a forward-looking touch. The size and weight add presence but do not take it outside of the timeless dress watch category. Also, with the curved case, sculpted lugs and hinged case back, the 5227R may be the ultimate stealth watch, understated elegance at its finest. The 5227 does not flaunt or show off, instead exudes quiet, confident gravitas.

But the pricing on the 5227 is admittedly up there, considering what it is. It's a great watch, but at its price you will pay fully for the value it offers.

Put it this way: I really like my 5227R, but in no way do I sense it was a deal or a bargain. With the 5227, you buy it because you really like the watch, and the price you pay will be in exchange for the full value it provides.
Thank you for the terrific description of what makes the 5227 one of the most beautiful Calatravas. I have a 5227G with the black dial and consider it the ultimate 3 hand dress watch. I have never regretted buying this piece.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 05:21 AM   #11
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Thank you for the terrific description of what makes the 5227 one of the most beautiful Calatravas. I have a 5227G with the black dial and consider it the ultimate 3 hand dress watch. I have never regretted buying this piece.
Agreed Cascavel, the 5227 really is an exceptionally elegant and refined watch, I got my 5227R with cream lacquered dial a few months ago brand new from my AD and like you, I don't regret buying it at all, it looks great and feels great, and wears extremely comfortable on the wrist. I simply wish Patek had priced the 5227 it a little lower!
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote