The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 October 2006, 05:33 AM   #1
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Steinhart Ocean 1

Steinhart Ocean 1 42mm Review

In my time I have had the privilege of owning many brands from Casio to Rolex. My passion has always been for brands such as Omega Eterna and Rolex. Top of the list would be the Rolex Submariner or Sea-dweller and indeed up until the end of last year I owned both models, but due to personal reasons, they had to go. I was holding out on buying other watches, in order to purchase another Sub that was until I came across Steinhart. I had never heard of the brand, and it certainly was not available in the UK. Looking at some of the reviews, the company’s website and the excellent customer service people reported, I decided to take the plunge and order a 42mm Ocean 1.
I ordered the watch on a Monday it was with me by lunchtime Wednesday from the States to the UK. The watch arrived well packed and when I opened the outer white cardboard box I was presented with a lovely highly polished black watch box with white interior, the watch was sitting on a white cushion with a Steinhart swing tag and plastic credit card style warranty card, the whole presentation experience oozed quality in every way. So far so good.

When I cast my eye over the watch for the first time in the flesh, I thought wow, this is better than I thought.

The Dial:
One word, perfect, the quality of finish, printing just perfect with no flaws

The Bezel:
Perfect coin edge bezel with one wish, that the luminescent dot was white, the same as the dial lume.

The Case:
Tolerance’s of the case are exceptional I would suggest over engineered, the marking on the crown, lines up perfectly, why can’t Rolex manage that.

The Bracelet.
Solid end links, links all secured by screws and divers extension. Again top quality finish and engineering.

The Movement.
An ETA caliber 2824. Can’t tell you much about this except I’m led to believe it’s a bit of a workhorse.

Customer Service.
Literally second to none, I had a small problem with one of the screws in the bracelet, spoke to Jon & Elsa, explained the problem and instead of sending just the affected part, they sent me a completely brand new bracelet within three days. What more can I say.
This watch is worth a great deal more, and I’m not sure how they are managing to sell at its current price. Thank you Steinhart, what every Watch company should aspire to.
Jon Hill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocean_1-1.jpg (70.3 KB, 2947 views)
File Type: jpg clasp2.jpg (43.1 KB, 2890 views)

Last edited by Baptistman; 2 October 2006 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: extra picture
Baptistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 06:38 AM   #2
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Great review. I have seen this brand around a little bit but had not heard much feedback until I read your review. If my understanding is correct the brand is manufactured by Grovana, same maker as Revue Thommen. Now I happen to have a Revue Thommen in my collection and it is a very good quality watch for the money. Looks now like I will have to take a better look at Steinhart.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 07:17 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Nice looking watch and review. Best of luck with it
Old 2 October 2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Thanks for the comments, I really can recommend this brand, it does make me wonder if the price we pay for other brands are actually financing higher salaries, advertising sponsership etc, if we stripped that cost away, how much would these brands actually cost?
Old 2 October 2006, 08:24 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Another well built and little known brand like many others today. There are quite some remarkable well built watches out there for in real terms very little money.A good review the ETA 2824 is a great all round accurate long lasting and reliable movement.And in its different forms powers some high end brands like you said you had a small problem.But it was resolved quickly thats a big plus in my book,customer service.Now sometimes lacked in the larger well known brands,now some would say just another Rolex clone.Myself have not got a problem with that at all.Its not meant to desieve in anyway and clearly a Steinhart Ocean.And if I was in the market for a well spec and priced diving watch I would most certainly buy one.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 11:43 AM   #6
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I was looking at this watch before I got my 14060... really a looker of a watch.

I heard lots of good things from Jon & Elsa.

One thing that I'd like to see from them would be a DJ type of watch...
Old 4 October 2006, 05:11 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great well written review. Love that clasp!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2006, 11:44 AM   #8
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Well I pulled the trigger and bought myself their 2nd gen GMT Ocean 1 today (black / red bezel). They rolled back the price for me to $525 (originally $540).

When I e-mailed Steinhart, their CEO replied and he was very responsive. He even gave me a coupon for free shipping (2nd day).

I only saw the e-mail for the free shipping after I purchased the watch. I e-mailed them again with a coupon, and voila Elsa honoured it!

It is true, their service is legendary!

Can't wait to receive it.
Old 6 October 2006, 08:40 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Well I pulled the trigger and bought myself their 2nd gen GMT Ocean 1 today (black / red bezel). They rolled back the price for me to $525 (originally $540).

When I e-mailed Steinhart, their CEO replied and he was very responsive. He even gave me a coupon for free shipping (2nd day).

I only saw the e-mail for the free shipping after I purchased the watch. I e-mailed them again with a coupon, and voila Elsa honoured it!

It is true, their service is legendary!

Can't wait to receive it.
Well that speaks volumes for that firm,a good product reasonable price and for me one of the most important, customer service and satisfaction.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 October 2006, 11:18 AM   #10
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Well they did one better, they thought shipping via registered usps is not trackable so they sent it via fedex economy! I should get it by Wed.
Old 7 October 2006, 09:41 PM   #11
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Well they did one better, they thought shipping via registered usps is not trackable so they sent it via fedex economy! I should get it by Wed.
Let me know how you get on. Which one did you order?
Old 8 October 2006, 12:44 AM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Very good review, thanks
Old 8 October 2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Just confirmed Steinhart are manufactured by Grovana/Revue Thommen.

with a rich heritage in their own right and a family run business...
Old 8 October 2006, 07:41 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Just confirmed Steinhart are manufactured by Grovana/Revue Thommen.

with a rich heritage in their own right and a family run business...
Agree quite a old company well over a 120 years like there new range of retro 30s-50s models.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 October 2006, 08:34 AM   #15
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Hey Baptistman,

I bought the Ocean GMT 1, black/red bezel. I didn't want the standard pepsi so I decided to go against the grain :-)

Fedex called me before the long weekend, and they confirmed delivery for tomorrow (Tuesday).

I'll provide pix once it arrives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Let me know how you get on. Which one did you order?
Old 10 October 2006, 10:18 AM   #16
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
It is a beautiful watch and a great review! I myself however, can not help but think this watch is a copy of Sub. Clearly it is NOT a Sub - but it looks too much like a Rolex for it not to be a Rolex (if that makes any sense). I do realize the price difference is large between the 2.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 10:04 AM   #17
MrDatabase
"TRF" Member

It is a beautifful watch and it looks exactly like my Robert Poseidon professional.
MrDatabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 10:41 AM   #18
Pete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/216570
cant wait to see pics V.....i just happen to kno that you picked it up this evening so there is no excuse for slow pic taking!!

Pete
Member #745
RIP JJ "Always in our hearts, and on our wrists"
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 12:33 PM   #19
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDatabase View Post
It is a beautifful watch and it looks exactly like my Robert Poseidon professional.
Welcome to TRF, Mr.D. Thought you could sneak in with an innocuous post, did you? We don't let anyone get away with that.

Glad you joined our merry madhouse. Tell us a little about yourself. What brought you here. What is in your collection. Come on, spill the beans.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 04:21 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Hi Mr.D,

Welcome to TRF. If we can drop the "Mr.", would that make you just "D"?

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 06:46 PM   #21
mailman

Watch: 126610LN
Hi Mr D. Welcome to TRF
Old 19 May 2007, 05:07 AM   #22
rzielinski
Banned

Rolex Submariner Date VS Steinhart Ocean 1.

The Steinhart is bigger and heavier then Rolex. It looks like Steihart is stronger built then Rolex. The bracelet has better clasp on Steinhart. The clasp on Rolex is a bad design and will open sometimes when I jump into the pool. The look of Steinhart is solid and attractive. My Rolex is very accurate. It is fast by two seconds a day. My Steinhart is fast by 12 seconds a day, strait from the factory. It needs to be adjusted. Rolex has its own movement and it is superior to Steinhart. However Steihart uses ETA 2824-2 movement, which is a work horse used in Tag Heuer, Oris, and many more higher priced watches. My Steihart has a yellow bezel so it will not be confused with Rolex. Steinhart will look good on bigger guys since it is a bigger and heavier watch then Rolex Submariner. Since Rolex is lighter it is more comfortable on your wrist. Except the bad clasp on Rolex, everything else is perfect. Steinhart has come very close with its attention to details, but Rolex is still superior. Steihart is a very good watch for the money.
Rolex is the legend. Almost every diver watch today got something from Rolex Submariner. Since the Sub has the superior movement and the legacy its price is justified. Steinhart Ocean 1 is a very attractive watch and has a great value.
Thanks for your time.
Robert from California.
rzielinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 08:23 AM   #23
txrob779

NO pics, man I was all excited and NO PIX?
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 08:26 PM   #24
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Hi D and welcome,

Nice watch, also made by Grovana. Keeps excellent time.

Robert Poseidon. 39mm. 170 grams with 11 links (7 + 4).
Grovana . 42mm. 167 grams with 11 links (7 + 4).
Both have diver extensions.

Pix are always handy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05481.jpg (77.9 KB, 2278 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05463.jpg (70.9 KB, 2270 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2007, 08:21 PM   #25
GR8YT

I've just seen those watches on the internet, never in reality. But thanks to you, maybe I will buy one!!! :)
GR8YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 03:35 AM   #26
Flatliner
"TRF" Member

Where did you order from? Do they have an official site?
Flatliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 12:24 AM   #27
Ursa Major
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
Where did you order from? Do they have an official site?
There was some threatened litigation over the Steinhart name, so they're now called "DeBaufre" - same companies, same watches (order direct at www.debaufre.com). Besides their Rolex homage models, they also have models that may remind you of a Bell&Ross and an IWC Pilot. I'm intrigued by the latter one (the "Navigator B"), for the price and the movement it seems hard to go wrong. People seem to like them a lot.
Old 20 May 2008, 01:01 PM   #28
doghouse

Watch: submariner
I have an Ocean 1, a Nav-B 6497 and an automatic. They are well made, accurate, and fit and finish is excellent.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2008, 10:14 AM   #29
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I've read a few reviews of this watch and every one says the product is better than the reviewer thought it would be. It great to hear that no quibble customer service still exists. Congrats. on a really nice watch.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 10:55 AM   #30
amcogo2010
"TRF" Member

Interesting watch...

It's too bad the 44mm is a Ronda quartz...That would be awesome if it were a Eta either 2824 or 2836.

That's what Rolex should do, no not the quartz part, but take the sub and make it identical to what it is now in 44mm, without all the extra stuff like they did to the Deep Sea.
amcogo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote