The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2012, 07:40 PM   #1
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PAM 50, IWC
Is Panerai's service center as good as Rolex?

I am getting a pre-owned PAM50 today. It's an E series (2002). Seeing how it's an older model I will be getting it serviced. Besides, the seller doesn't know if it's ever been serviced. Is Panerai as meticulous with their servicing as Rolex? Will they bring the watch back to "like new" condition? I just had my Rolex F series GMT serviced by Rolex and they did a remarkable job. Do Panerai's hold up as well as Rolex?
(I put this in the Panerai section, but no one is responding, so I thought I'd put it here, too. Sorry for double posting.)
jimisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 01:45 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

A Panerai service will bring it to back to great condition. It won't be cheap, expecially with that bracelet to be polished. While I have never serviced through Panerai (yet) I've heard great things and horrible things. I like to think that the horrible things are spoken up more on forums than the great things. The good news about the 50 is that the movement is simple and should be serviced in the states. If you had a complicated in-house or one off (like JLC movements), it might be sent overseas for service which can take some time.

Now, do Panerai's hold value well like Rolex? Yes and No. Depends on the model and depends on how you buy it.

Example. If you buy a 390, 190, 372, 232 new...yeah they'll hold their value.

Example. If you buy a 50 new, you'll take a huge hit. If you bought your 50 used at a fair price, you'll be fine.

There are some models that hold their value and some that don't at all. "Generally" if you buy used, the hit is already over.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

nothing to add but a big
+1 Mik!
Old 4 February 2012, 02:19 AM   #4
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Mik-daddy said it all!
Old 4 February 2012, 05:16 AM   #5
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Servicing : Honest answer.Rolex is better.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 04:14 AM   #6
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I think as far as turn around times, Rolex wins if you are talking about service centers. I find that I prefer to buy watches that I can get serviced locally, and the manual wind Pams I can keep a few miles from my house with excellent results. My local Panerai AD has a watchmaker that is flat out fantastic, and the watch comes back looking new.

I have only had one in house Panerai movement and I was scared to death that I would have to send it across the sea to Panerai for a service.
Old 5 February 2012, 05:15 AM   #7
mboverst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Servicing : Honest answer.Rolex is better.
This. Panerai doesn't do a bad job, just not quite as good as RSC IMO.

Most PAM's do hold their value pretty well. The only ones that really take a hit are the lesser popular 40mm models purchased full boat retail. I wouldn't bank on an appreciation, but it will hold it's value relatively well if purchased at a decent price point.
mboverst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
rohardi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
A Panerai service will bring it to back to great condition. It won't be cheap, expecially with that bracelet to be polished. While I have never serviced through Panerai (yet) I've heard great things and horrible things. I like to think that the horrible things are spoken up more on forums than the great things. The good news about the 50 is that the movement is simple and should be serviced in the states. If you had a complicated in-house or one off (like JLC movements), it might be sent overseas for service which can take some time.

Now, do Panerai's hold value well like Rolex? Yes and No. Depends on the model and depends on how you buy it.

Example. If you buy a 390, 190, 372, 232 new...yeah they'll hold their value.

Example. If you buy a 50 new, you'll take a huge hit. If you bought your 50 used at a fair price, you'll be fine.

There are some models that hold their value and some that don't at all. "Generally" if you buy used, the hit is already over.
How will my future 312 hold it's value?
rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

My experience with Richemont service center in the US has been very bad. I will try to stay away from them.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2012, 03:53 PM   #10
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Who would be better? Panerai in Texas or Tourneu in NYC?
Old 6 February 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisaint View Post
Who would be better? Panerai in Texas or Tourneu in NYC?
I have not experienced either however I am not a Tourneau fan so I would say Panerai Texas
Old 6 February 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
α-ψ!
"TRF" Member

Watch: daytona tt
in athens i think rolex is very very very mutch better!!!
α-ψ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 12:43 AM   #13
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi View Post
How will my future 312 hold it's value?
312 is a well liked model. Same situation as I said above. If you bought it new with no discount, you'll take a medium hit (not as bad as 50), but if you bought used at a fair price, you'll be flat/modest appreciation (due to yearly price increases by Panerai, rumor is April this year).
member#3242
Old 7 February 2012, 12:52 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

I can only give you my experience with Pam's service center---awfull.

I had a 321 that was 45 seconds fast. Because it had the inhouse movement my watchmaker had to send it in. Three months later I got it back. It ran over a minute fast.

My watchmaker called to ask what they had done---a complete service. MInd you there was nothing to accompany the watch back save the service case and paperwork that said warranty work.

Back it went. FOUR months later back it came--down to 50 seconds fast. I sold it at a loss with a full explanation as to it's history.

Only my experience, but never again.

On a side note Pams with eta,7750's etc.. have been great.

Good luck.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 02:34 AM   #15
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Sorry about your experience. Mine is an old 50 ETA, so the service should be good then?
Thank you for your help!
Old 7 February 2012, 10:43 AM   #16
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I can only give you my experience with Pam's service center---awfull.

I had a 321 that was 45 seconds fast. Because it had the inhouse movement my watchmaker had to send it in. Three months later I got it back. It ran over a minute fast.

My watchmaker called to ask what they had done---a complete service. MInd you there was nothing to accompany the watch back save the service case and paperwork that said warranty work.

Back it went. FOUR months later back it came--down to 50 seconds fast. I sold it at a loss with a full explanation as to it's history.

Only my experience, but never again.

On a side note Pams with eta,7750's etc.. have been great.

Good luck.
Ugh. Sorry Mike, I'd probable feel the same way too (for awhile). Hope you come back!
member#3242
Old 7 February 2012, 11:05 AM   #17
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

My PAM 48 came back from Texas running about 8 seconds fast per day. They sent a meticulous report about every little issue with the watch (some of which you would need a loupe to see) but didn't seem to be as meticulous with regulating it.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 11:32 AM   #18
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Approximately how much was the "meticulous" service?
Old 7 February 2012, 11:35 AM   #19
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Panerai will tell you the cost prior to doing anything.

If you want to do it on a budget, find a local qualified watchmaker to work on your base Val 7750 movement.

I had a local guy service both my 111 and 210. They have been spot on perfect.

edit: as a note, I didn't want my watches polished back to new. Panerai look better with a couple scratches, etc (to me)
member#3242
Old 7 February 2012, 11:39 AM   #20
PGAPRO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG Daytona
For what it's worth. I have both Panerai's and Rolex's. I currently have my Pam 237 at the Dallas Service Center. I made an appointment to take it in, just because there is only 1 AD in Dallas, and wanted to save the time. I made an appointment, took it in, and the staff could not have been nicer. I even got a tour. The place is tremendous. The turn around time given me was 2 weeks. Even though the watch is 5 years old, I was not even charged for the service. I did opt however to pay for the polishing, which was $80. The communication has been excellent. I have Rolex Service Center located in Downtown Dallas, and I can honestly say that I have taken numerous watches there, and the turnaround time has been excellent also. To me the difference is Rolex will nickle and dime you to death. Richemont gave me an exact figure. I don't see this as an either-or, I think we are lucky to have 2 great Centers in Dallas. If I were in the U.S. I would not take it to a Jeweler, I'd send it myself, or carry it in, if at all possible, and I realize a lot of people can't. I'm not bad mouthing AD's but the more people touching your watch, things go wrong, and time added to your getting it back. IMHO. Taking it to Retail or nothing Tourneau, not a chance.
PGAPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 12:23 PM   #21
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it was about $450 when I had a full service done around 2009. Not sure what they charge now.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 12:50 PM   #22
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I think it was about $450 when I had a full service done around 2009. Not sure what they charge now.
I called the Panerai Boutique in NYC and they told me they'd send it to Dallas and it would be around $500. Not bad . . . I just spent $800 at the RSC, but they did a great job. They didn't "nickel and dime" me as much as they could, but they still did. I am satisfied with the service, though, so that's all that really matters. I'll send my watch to Panerai. The watch does need to be regulated and probably cleaned, although it's in remarkable condition for a pre-owned watch that's 10 years old, but it is running slow.
Old 7 February 2012, 01:42 PM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
My PAM 48 came back from Texas running about 8 seconds fast per day. They sent a meticulous report about every little issue with the watch (some of which you would need a loupe to see) but didn't seem to be as meticulous with regulating it.
Same here
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2012, 05:09 PM   #24
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
from my exp, panerai service center in tx is really bad. they damamged my watch on more than one account and panerai actually replaced my watch with a brand new one second time around but i had to fight tooth and nail with them to do it.

first time they ruined my caseback, 6 months wait for a new one to be laser etched from swiss. second time they scratched my dial and left fingerprints inside the crystal. by that time, I told them i didn't want to wait another 6 months for my watch as i purchased it brand new and didnt even get to wear and enjoy it for more than 3 weeks at that time... it was a j series pam with the brand new release buttom strap system. there were some defective units reported and mine was one of them. a couple weeks of wearing the watch and the strap release button flew out. a case replacement is what they said it needed.

they can do the work im sure. and i had bad luck. they did take care of me in the end.

but the main problem i have with panerai is the way they do their parts, almost no parts are in stock and it takes them forever to order them, like a crystal or what ever else..

i don't know if much has changed in the 2 years and since they started making their inhouse movements, but at the time, it was thought that they did not keep a large parts stock due to expense and to keep that cost down since they were a smaller company. they did their repairs and ordered parts on special order only. but like a said its been a couple years since i dealt with panerai service.

i don't think much has changed because a month ago, i left a message for elvisa smith in the parts dep.. I didn't get a call back from her until 2 weeks later and i told her to forget it.

I love panerai, always have, but IMO the service stinks all the way around.
standard repair time for panerai watches is 3 to 6 months depending on the service.

I was told the wait time on my 341 egiziano pam is around 8 months as after i send it to the TX repair center, they then have to send it to swiss to be worked on at the head office..

anyways, thats all i have to say about that. still love the watches tho.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2012, 07:09 AM   #25
jimisaint
"TRF" Member

Just dropped my watch off for servicing at the Panerai Boutique in NYC and hopefully I don't have the problems SubKing had. They told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks and be approx. $5-550.
Old 9 February 2012, 02:37 PM   #26
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Just dropped my watch off for servicing at the Panerai Boutique in NYC and hopefully I don't have the problems SubKing had. They told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks and be approx. $5-550.
hey, i'm sure your watch will be ok... panerai service doesnt have the best rap, but hope things have gotten better and will continue to get better..

4-6 weeks sounds about right for a standard service, but if they need any parts to be ordered, expect a phone call in about 6 weeks telling you its going to be a couple months longer...

if no major parts are needed, then im sure you will have your watch back in no time.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 02:55 AM   #27
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
I hope Rolex is better.... Panerais are JOKES when it comes to service. I sent my 233 in and came back with a dent.

Did you know the average Panerai tech is like 25 years old?!?!?! They train car mechanics to work on watches, they have fired all their senior guys and replace them with inexperienced children. I would only send a watch to Panerai under warranty or you needed a part fixed or replaced, if you need it serviced, anyone can do it.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 07:36 AM   #28
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés G View Post
My experience with Richemont service center in the US has been very bad. I will try to stay away from them.
Doesn't gets much better in Europe

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:49 PM   #29
danikas
"TRF" Member

Well let me entertain you all ,I purchased a new Panerai luminor rattr.pam213 ,AND after 2 years it gave me a problem with the chrono sticking with the seconds .I sent it to the agents in Italy via Athens Greece ,they repair it under guarantee ,came back ,still the same problem sent back ,came back ,still the same problem and sent back again, came back and for the fourth time was sent back with the same problem in the watch. I am now talking with Panerai Italy, and they claiming that they are very sorry and embarrassed, and I demanded a new mechanism or a new watch, however they keep saying to me that they will repair the watch for the fifth time perfect ….
What can I do?
This is the quality service one expects from a Panerai worth 10000 Euros?
Dead end for me and Panerai.
danikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2012, 11:49 PM   #30
danikas
"TRF" Member

Well let me entertain you all ,I purchased a new Panerai luminor rattr.pam213 ,AND after 2 years it gave me a problem with the chrono sticking with the seconds .I sent it to the agents in Italy via Athens Greece ,they repair it under guarantee ,came back ,still the same problem sent back ,came back ,still the same problem and sent back again, came back and for the fourth time was sent back with the same problem in the watch. I am now talking with Panerai Italy, and they claiming that they are very sorry and embarrassed, and I demanded a new mechanism or a new watch, however they keep saying to me that they will repair the watch for the fifth time perfect ….
What can I do?
This is the quality service one expects from a Panerai worth 10000 Euros?
Dead end for me and Panerai.
danikas is offline   Reply With Quote