The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 January 2024, 06:39 AM   #31
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
European Watch paid you 5k for an unfixable oyster quartz? I’m finding that impossible to believe.
Those guys are great but this is a bit too great to believe.
Old 31 January 2024, 06:40 AM   #32
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
European Watch paid you 5k for an unfixable oyster quartz? I’m finding that impossible to believe.

Yes, that’s correct. At the time I sold it, my specific reference had consistent asking prices on chrono24 of about $9,000. European Watch Company originally agreed to $6,000, but upon learning the movement required complete replacement offered me $4,000. I was able to negotiate their offer up to $5,000 and accepted. Mine was a blue dial, so that’s why values were a bit higher than normal.
Old 31 January 2024, 06:52 AM   #33
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Yes, that’s correct. At the time I sold it, my specific reference had consistent asking prices on chrono24 of about $9,000. European Watch Company originally agreed to $6,000, but upon learning the movement required complete replacement offered me $4,000. I was able to negotiate their offer up to $5,000 and accepted. Mine was a blue dial, so that’s why values were a bit higher than normal.
Is that so? European Watch offered you 6000$ before even verifying if the watch was unfixable but once you fessed up that it was unfixable they then offered you 4000$ before upping it to 5000$, after which they proceeded to fix it and then sell it for 9000$?

Question, why then didn’t you have the unfixable watch fixed?
Old 31 January 2024, 06:58 AM   #34
Patekfinder
Banned

Emotionally difficult situation inheriting a Rolex, just want to share this with the

Quote:
Is that so? European Watch offered you 6000$ before even verifying if the watch was unfixable but once you fessed up that it was unfixable they then offered you 4000$ before upping it to 5000$, after which they proceeded to fix it and then sell it for 9000$?

Theres always one isn’t there.

Not the point of this thread, already answered your question, and your tone could not possibly suck any more, you need to seriously work on that, so won’t be responding to you any further. Good luck.
Old 31 January 2024, 06:59 AM   #35
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
You did the best you could have done at the time with the information and resources available.

Your Grandfather would be proud and if anything like mine would think it silly to stress about a watch.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 January 2024, 07:02 AM   #36
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You are a loving sensitive guy. That’s what I got from your story, and all that really matters. Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Kat

Old 31 January 2024, 07:27 AM   #37
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Theres always one isn’t there.

Not the point of this thread, already answered your question, and your tone could not possibly suck any more, you need to seriously work on that, so won’t be responding to you any further. Good luck.
What sucks is getting caught apparently lying about something involving deceased relatives and emotionally sensitive topics. Your entire scenario revolves around the watch being unfixable, and yet, it was apparently fixed and resold at a profit. You expect anyone to believe such a transparent contradiction? Better luck next time.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:27 AM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
You've done well navigating this part of life's journey.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:30 AM   #39
Patekfinder
Banned

Emotionally difficult situation inheriting a Rolex, just want to share this with the

Quote:
What sucks is getting caught apparently lying about something involving deceased relatives and emotionally sensitive topics. Your entire scenario revolves around the watch being unfixable, and yet, it was apparently fixed and resold at a profit. You expect anyone to believe such a transparent contradiction? Better luck next time.

You are truly a sick individual.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:32 AM   #40
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's simple.
The OP went forward based on the expert advise he received.
If the watch was repaired successfully and onsold at a profit. Then all credit to them for their expertise.

That's life
Old 31 January 2024, 07:36 AM   #41
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
If you couldn’t get it fixed, I’d agree selling for a decent amount is definitely more worthwhile. You cared enough that you reallly thought about it. And cared enough that you had to get it off your chest so doesn’t count like an hasty decision. Seem like a sensible one to me.

Some time (hopefully far away), I’m going to inherit 2 two-tone datejusts and who knows how I’ll justify doing something sensible. I can’t possibly sell them but I will also will never wear them. Sometimes there’s just no right answer.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:43 AM   #42
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
You are truly a sick individual.
I thought you were finished responding.

I my life I’ve found when people’s tales end up backing them into a corner they come out swinging, so no surprise you’re trying to turn it around but what’s kinda sick is inventing a story like this.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:44 AM   #43
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don't have to justify anything to anybody else
You did very well under the circumstances.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:44 AM   #44
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
I thought you were finished responding.

I my life I’ve found when people’s tales end up backing them into a corner they come out swinging, so no surprise you’re trying to turn it around but what’s kinda sick is inventing a story like this.

Special place in hell for you.
Old 31 January 2024, 07:53 AM   #45
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Special place in hell for you.

Stop answering him. It is not worth it.

Kat

Old 31 January 2024, 09:31 AM   #46
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Stop answering him. It is not worth it.

Kat

Ok
Old 31 January 2024, 10:04 AM   #47
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't know... Hard to sympathize with you based on your comments two weeks ago on a post generalizing and calling my hometown Cleveland "the gutter of a Midwest City"

We reap what we sow....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932575
Old 31 January 2024, 10:10 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollei35 View Post
I can hardly believe a quartz watch from 1980's is still worth $5000.
Take the money and run.
There is nothing sentimental there.
My thoughts also with a watch that cannot be repaired. There is strong demand for the working models, so perhaps the watch has parts value.
Old 31 January 2024, 10:14 AM   #49
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emersm View Post
I don't know... Hard to sympathize with you based on your comments two weeks ago on a post generalizing and calling my hometown Cleveland "the gutter of a Midwest City"

We reap what we sow....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=932575

Difference between a boy and man is someone who can overlook a petty comment someone made on a forum about a city and realize when something is actually serious, and be a man about it. You’re just a boy.

I completely overestimated the emotional intelligence of some people on this forum and regret sharing this story of mine that I’ve kept bottled up for a while. It’s clear that this was not the venue and this is actually not a real [i]community[/].

To those who responded with assurance and words of comfort, you have my deepest appreciation and it was helpful to hear those words of reassurance that I did the right thing because I have doubted my decision for a while. For those who trolled, you need to find God and I’ll pray for you.
Old 31 January 2024, 10:17 AM   #50
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Difference between a boy and man is someone who can overlook a petty comment someone made on a forum about a city and realize when something is actually serious, and be a man about it. You’re just a boy.

I completely overestimated the emotional intelligence of some people on this forum and regret sharing this story of mine that I’ve kept bottled up for a while. It’s clear that this was not the venue and this is actually not a real [i]community[/].

To those who responded with assurance and words of comfort, you have my deepest appreciation and it was helpful to hear those words of reassurance that I did the right thing because I have doubted my decision for a while. For those who trolled, you need to find God and I’ll pray for you.
Really? For me, the difference between a boy and a man is someone who can restrain himself and not make the petty comment in the first place?
Old 31 January 2024, 10:17 AM   #51
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

in another thread you were humble bragging about having a JPM reserve card, which you claim is harder to get than an amex black card. so clearly you have millions and yet here you are saying a few years ago you sold a watch for 5k to fund an IRA, surely someone worth that much doesn't need to sell an inheritance piece for 5k? but alright lol
Old 31 January 2024, 10:18 AM   #52
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
My thoughts also with a watch that cannot be repaired. There is strong demand for the working models, so perhaps the watch has parts value.

At the time, emotionally, I was committed to selling no matter what the value was as I had given up. I did not have the emotional capacity to go researching ways to repair it after Rolex directly told me no. Of course there’s always a solution, but it requires effort and I just wanted an easy solution at the time through Rolex as I couldn’t deal with it. My guess it European Watch had a bunch of parts or a spare movement and was able to fix it that way and sell it. For a while I actually checked their website to see the ad and considered requesting to buy it back from them. Then one day it was listed as sold, and that option was gone and so that was that.
Old 31 January 2024, 10:19 AM   #53
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
in another thread you were humble bragging about having a JPM reserve card, which you claim is harder to get than an amex black card. so clearly you have millions and yet here you are saying a few years ago you sold a watch for 5k to put into an IRA, surely someone worth that much doesn't need to sell an inheritance piece for 5k? but alright lol

Doesn’t matter how much money someone has or doesn’t have. It was important to me to ensure the funds from this watch sale were directly used for something my grandfather would have appreciated, which is what I did.

This was not sold for financial need, this was sold because emotionally I wanted it gone from my life at the time. Seems you aren’t able to understand this key distinction.

I do not need to explain myself, nor do I need to explain my rationale at the time. I simply wanted to share this story and get it off my chest where I had some reservations in a tough time, doubted myself, and have carried this for a bit.

I regret sharing this.
Old 31 January 2024, 10:32 AM   #54
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
At the time, emotionally, I was committed to selling no matter what the value was as I had given up. I did not have the emotional capacity to go researching ways to repair it after Rolex directly told me no. Of course there’s always a solution, but it requires effort and I just wanted an easy solution at the time through Rolex as I couldn’t deal with it. My guess it European Watch had a bunch of parts or a spare movement and was able to fix it that way and sell it. For a while I actually checked their website to see the ad and considered requesting to buy it back from them. Then one day it was listed as sold, and that option was gone and so that was that.
I am glad you cleared that up. Posters were saying your watch was repaired and re-sold but all I saw posted was similar working ones were listed at 9K. In any event you did a wise thing working with all the information you had at the time, and you can put the money to a good use. You should have no remorse over this. Your Grandfather surely did not intend for you to keep a broken watch. EWC is a truly excellent company. What may be regrettable, is you did not discuss with them their options for having it repaired. They have a full watch repair and service facility.
Old 31 January 2024, 11:06 AM   #55
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
It surprises me that this thread went so sideways. Firstly, people made assumptions, rather than reading all the posts thoroughly, and then based on those false premises, accused the OP of making up a story, and started attacking his credibility. What is going on here? Aren’t we better than this?! Can’t we just be kind to each other?

Kat

Old 31 January 2024, 11:11 AM   #56
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I am glad you cleared that up. Posters were saying your watch was repaired and re-sold but all I saw posted was similar working ones were listed at 9K. In any event you did a wise thing working with all the information you had at the time, and you can put the money to a good use. You should have no remorse over this. Your Grandfather surely did not intend for you to keep a broken watch. EWC is a truly excellent company. What may be regrettable, is you did not discuss with them their options for having it repaired. They have a full watch repair and service facility.

Thank you. Deep down I knew I probably could have found a solution to get it properly working and repaired, but I just felt that…it being a quartz really reduced the sentimental value of it, to me at least (but at the same time did not want to acknowledge to myself, and I didn’t). I also felt bad about even feeling that way at the time. At the end of the day, I know my grandfather probably wouldn’t have cared and would have appreciated my decision. He was old school, owned a shoe factory.

Thanks for your response.

Old 31 January 2024, 11:17 AM   #57
favx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ BOY View Post
Nothing wrong with that. You were smart with the money.
Exactly my thought too
Old 31 January 2024, 11:24 AM   #58
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
It surprises me that this thread went so sideways. Firstly, people made assumptions, rather than reading all the posts thoroughly, and then based on those false premises, accused the OP of making up a story, and started attacking his credibility. What is going on here? Aren’t we better than this?! Can’t we just be kind to each other?

Kat

If I’m one of those you’re calling out perhaps it’s you who should read before commenting. I asked a specific questions first, then after the clearly nonsensical reply he comes after me personally. The story holds no water and the explanations keep getting more convoluted and designed to shame people into quiet acceptance because of the alleged context.

Do you know this individual personally? It’s never good to vouch for someone and go to bat for them when you don’t?

Want to get an idea of what level of confidence you should have, try reading through this member’s post history. Chock a block with contradictory statements. Additionally, asking someone if it’s their time of the month would strike me as something you’d find offensive, no? Or the constant casual insults about members not being real men with their little female wrists? That’s the guy you’re defending.
Old 31 January 2024, 11:26 AM   #59
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
If I’m one of those you’re calling out perhaps it’s you who should read before commenting. I asked a specific questions first, then after the clearly nonsensical reply he comes after me personally. The story holds no water and the explanations keep getting more convoluted and designed to shame people into quiet acceptance because of the alleged context.

Do you know this individual personally? It’s never good to vouch for someone and go to bat for them when you don’t?

Want to get an idea of what level of confidence you should have, try reading through this member’s post history. Chock a block with contradictory statements. Additionally, asking someone if it’s their time of the month would strike me as something you’d find offensive, no? Or the constant casual insults about members not being real men with their little female wrists? That’s the guy you’re defending.

Someone really needs to punch you in the face.

Old 31 January 2024, 11:31 AM   #60
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Ibtl
Closed Thread