The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2019, 12:28 AM   #31
MORA
"TRF" Member

Speedmasters in general have been creeping up in price the last couple years - especially the vintage models.

This is also the year of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, so it's all eyes on the Speedmaster right now and Omega/dealers know that.

The latest Seamaster 300 Diver was also a big hit for Omega and I believe the popularity and flattering reviews drove their prices up a bit. Omega announced the price increase - so it was no secret.

On top of that there's a lot of news circulating in regards to Omega/Swatch Group cutting back supplies for grey dealers. This means less grey market stock.

I don't think the Rolex drought has much influence on this - there are other factors at play here. Most people who want a Rolex, just want a Rolex.
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 12:05 AM   #32
Brovsko
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think the Rolex SS shortage will drive the casual watch buyer to look at other brands but I do believe that enthusiasts who care less about the "status" of owning a Rolex will likely look elsewhere.

I personally bought my two Rolex watches (before the craze) because the history of the model and the aesthetics spoke to me, rather than because I needed to have a Rolex. Since I don't want to play the game of bending over for an AD to get me a SS sports model, my interest has shifted to other brands with a history and craftsmanship that I can get behind - Zenith, Omega, Grand Seiko.

In fact, the idea that people are being waitlisted for a Datejust turns me off to the brand image despite the fact that they make an otherwise excellent product.
Brovsko is offline   Reply With Quote