The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2019, 04:44 AM   #1
tgoddu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
So hard to sell a Panerai 392

Why is it so hard to sell at Panerai? I cant even get any offers on my 392. Does anyone have any advise?
tgoddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:09 AM   #2
arnage
"TRF" Member

Most would argue that the brand hasn't been experiencing the same level of interest as it had in the past - changing taste.. to perhaps smaller, thinner, and more classical designs.

I still love the look and overall aesthetic, so have held on to all of mine.

Your other issue is that the 392 isn't a particularly sought after model - 42mm 1950s case (as opposed to a 44mm or 47mm..) occupies an awkward position in the lineup. Suppose if you had a bronze sub or a 111 (something more liquid), you wouldnt have a problem, or it wouldnt be as pronounced.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:21 AM   #3
niconyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: GTM II 16760
Honestly I’m scared off buying any second hand Pam as the rep quality is so high now, it’s impossible for most, including me, to know it’s authentic
niconyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:33 AM   #4
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
lower your asking price, be patient or consign

I definitely appreciate the thinner 1950 cases
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 11:33 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

Today not just hard to sell a Panerai, all the other watches as well. As above said be patient and maybe lower the price for a quick sale. Good luck 👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 12:14 PM   #6
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Only two watches are easy to sell these days, apparently:

White SS Daytona
5711/1A
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:00 PM   #7
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoddu View Post
Why is it so hard to sell at Panerai? I cant even get any offers on my 392. Does anyone have any advise?

It all depend by the price, said this, Panerais not classic, are very difficult to be sold, but at the right price and in the right website you can do it.
It will take a bit of time.

Good luck!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:45 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not knowing what you have in the watch and what you want out of it makes it somewhat difficult to offer advice except in the broader terms. Go to Chrono24 and look at the prices being asked there. Reference ebay and the web sites of the Trusted Sellers to see if there is one for comparison there. If you are looking for a cash out you might have an even more difficult time. I would find a watch that I want from a dealer that has some Panerai models and make a deal. You are going to take a beating on what you have but better to lose and learn than to keep a watch that you no longer want. Make the trade, add some cash if necessary and get a different watch. Most of the collectors/flippers on TRF have been through the same situation before and the old adage of Buy right, sell right, is as true today as ever. Or at least buy knowing what you are getting into. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:48 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Not knowing what you have in the watch and what you want out of it makes it somewhat difficult to offer advice except in the broader terms. Go to Chrono24 and look at the prices being asked there. Reference ebay and the web sites of the Trusted Sellers to see if there is one for comparison there. If you are looking for a cash out you might have an even more difficult time. I would find a watch that I want from a dealer that has some Panerai models and make a deal. You are going to take a beating on what you have but better to lose and learn than to keep a watch that you no longer want. Make the trade, add some cash if necessary and get a different watch. Most of the collectors/flippers on TRF have been through the same situation before and the old adage of Buy right, sell right, is as true today as ever. Or at least buy knowing what you are getting into. Good luck and keep us posted.

Excellent advice.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:22 AM   #10
psv
"TRF" Member

I hate to say it, but there is zero interest in Panerai these days. Lower the price, take the loss and move on.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 07:28 AM   #11
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I hate to say it, but there is zero interest in Panerai these days. Lower the price, take the loss and move on.
This. I had to go through this recently with my PAM. Take what you get if it is not singing to you anymore and run
Old 14 July 2019, 09:02 PM   #12
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is so far from correct that it’s laughable. We don’t know how much he is selling his 392 for, where he is advertising it, or the condition of the watch. Instead, you will make a statement that is exactly the opposite of true.

In any event, to the OP, the advice given above about trading it for a PAM that you do like is going to give you the best shot at parting with your 392 quickly. You may get $500 less in a trade, but at least you part with the watch and don’t have to deal with private transactions with strangers.

Also, the 392 is not a popular PAM because if it’s smaller size and now outdated thicker movement. If you had a 1392 or 722, it would be easier to sell.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 10:34 PM   #13
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
This. I had to go through this recently with my PAM. Take what you get if it is not singing to you anymore and run
How can you say no interest in panerai. They have 88 boutiques around the world. It’s like any other watch brand, depends what model you have.
Old 15 July 2019, 12:43 AM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

As others have said, the size of your PAM is concern number one. Even at their best, white dial (I own one) and smaller Panerai will always be more difficult to sell. They embody less of the classic Panerai DNA.

I'd also add, that while others may disagree, Panerai is not doing well among collectors at the moment. The desirability varies greatly among individual references, but in general there are many excellent condition used pieces selling at almost half MSRP. The brand is a little bloated. On the flip side, now IS the time to buy references that represent the best of Panerai at good prices. I just always inform others to make sure you are purchasing something you really like, because it may be difficult to move if you fall out of love.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 02:15 AM   #15
shafran
"TRF" Member

I dont think the 392 is any harder to sell

than the other panerais. 42mm watches sell too. It depends on condition, box and papers and price. Most panerai resells are at a big hit, they are not a rolex when is comes to resell.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 02:31 AM   #16
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Without knowing your selling price and the condition of your watch, it's hard to say why it's not selling.
Also, doesn't look like you have any sales history here. Hard to sell a high end piece without some references.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 04:30 AM   #17
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I would never buy a Panerai off someone I didnt know. The risks with the brand are just too high. I'd pay more to buy from a reputable dealer.

Add an overly complex, almost indecipherable model range and finding a buyer isn't going to be easy.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:21 AM   #18
emtee
"TRF" Member

My advice would be find the dealer who will offer you the most and sell it to them. You will definitely take a big hit depending on what you paid for it but at least it should be an easy transaction and you can move on.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:50 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
How can you say no interest in panerai. They have 88 boutiques around the world. It’s like any other watch brand, depends what model you have.
Threads like this usally end in brand bashing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:06 AM   #20
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Threads like this usally end in brand bashing

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2019, 12:35 AM   #21
erne75
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
1-Brand is soft as poop
2-Fakes galore in the market
3-Big watches are on the wane

Special mention: Most people that wanted a PAM already have one...
R135
└┼┼┤ Save the manuals!
erne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2019, 02:14 AM   #22
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by erne75 View Post
1-Brand is soft as poop
2-Fakes galore in the market
3-Big watches are on the wane

Special mention: Most people that wanted a PAM already have one...
Big watches arent going anywhere , promise . People wouldn't be buying rm and AP nevermind pp are making 42mm sport watches
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 02:21 PM   #23
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Panerai are hard to sell. Doesn't matter where or which one.
Anyone currently chasing a "hot one" at this moment will be bound to lose money in the long run.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 11:17 PM   #24
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctock View Post
Panerai are hard to sell. Doesn't matter where or which one.
Anyone currently chasing a "hot one" at this moment will be bound to lose money in the long run.
Not true. New Carbotech models are very strong in the secondary market and not a lot of them out there.
Buy Panerai right and you can wear them for free for years if you want to sell them. I can and just did with a few Panerai models after 5 years. Same goes for AP. Watches are for lifestyle and to wear so getting all wrapped up into resale value is a commodity trader.

Buying a watch because it is hot depends on “who” thinks it is hot and the reasoning behind making the watch purchase as it may say nothing for the actual watch itself.

If Coke limits production and drives up a can of Coke to $5, it still doesn’t change the fact that the $5 Coke is the exact same Coke it was at 50 cents and taste no different. But to some people now the $5 can of Coke is so much better because it’s now harder to get.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 11:37 PM   #25
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Not true. New Carbotech models are very strong in the secondary market and not a lot of them out there.
Buy Panerai right and you can wear them for free for years if you want to sell them. I can and just did with a few Panerai models after 5 years. Same goes for AP. Watches are for lifestyle and to wear so getting all wrapped up into resale value is a commodity trader.

Buying a watch because it is hot depends on “who” thinks it is hot and the reasoning behind making the watch purchase as it may say nothing for the actual watch itself.

If Coke limits production and drives up a can of Coke to $5, it still doesn’t change the fact that the $5 Coke is the exact same Coke it was at 50 cents and taste no different. But to some people now the $5 can of Coke is so much better because it’s now harder to get.
Agreed! Buy the watches you like and wear for yourself. Not for others!
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 02:20 PM   #26
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I would list it on Paneristi. I am a member there and have sold a few pieces quickly.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote