The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 27 January 2022, 01:53 AM   #91
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
Happy to oblige given how impressed I am with the watch now it's cleaned up and on my wrist.

Although I have a good (productive) relationship with my AD, they never managed to get me one of these and time ran out so I have had to go to the grey market but fortunately I found a bricks and mortar place that had not kept up with the latest pricing

As my last pic looked a bit like a Starbucks/Cermit I have tried to get the light working more actively on the dial here.

I think I have caught the laser etched crown on the last pic, hazy shadow at 6
I can see it just above the AnD,,,,
Enlarge the pic and you can see the top of the crown,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:06 AM   #92
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I got offered a hulk three or four years ago a couple thousand over retail, I thought it was preposterous! What a mistake lol
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:09 AM   #93
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD MN21, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorsOrders View Post
I got offered a hulk three or four years ago a couple thousand over retail, I thought it was preposterous! What a mistake lol
Yep, been there, hindsight eh
petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:36 AM   #94
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
This forum, like many other areas, goes through its phases, and the new trend is to talk about gray dealers, how many models a specific gray dealer has, talk about prices, increases, etc, and no one here knows who anyone else is, in real life, like any other online forum or group, so who knows who has these accounts, and posts from them, but, I find it quite interesting seeing all of those posts. Sometimes, as I often tell a jury when I am trying a case, you just need to apply common sense and there is the answer...just like looking at all of those posts, they are meant to drive up values, advertise for certain people, and for some, it is self serving as they think that the more those posts influence people, and sadly, just like instagram and the like, they do, and it increases the value of their so-called "collection" or "investment" watch.

I totally agree with you Greg. Personally, I could do without the hype. This hobby was much more fun when you could go into an AD and browse watches and talk shop with them. Now it seems like the only thing people want to do is buy these watches to hoard or resell. This forum was a lot different 10 years ago and probably more so 10 years before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:41 AM   #95
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

I bought a 116710LN from Davis in 2015 for $6200. felt the same way. the "batman", what a laughable stupid name if you call it that, was for sale at $6850 and I just wasn't feeling the blue.
johntictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:43 AM   #96
dcnatsfan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baamvino View Post
overrated
To each, his own, obviously. But IMO it's my favorite watch I've ever owned (which includes a number of different Rolexes, APs, Pateks). The dial is indescribable.
dcnatsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 02:47 AM   #97
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
I totally agree with you Greg. Personally, I could do without the hype. This hobby was much more fun when you could go into an AD and browse watches and talk shop with them. Now it seems like the only thing people want to do is buy these watches to hoard or resell. This forum was a lot different 10 years ago and probably more so 10 years before that.

Agree with you. It’s annoying also to see the brands reduced to hype. I was happy to be able to buy anything and keep them, or sell them at a small loss. Now I need to think about what I say, how I say and feel bad when I get a Rolex that I ultimately don’t like as much as I’d want to.

Last exemple was the new submariner. Didn’t enjoy it so I sold it. Back then I wouldn’t care, now it feels wrong somehow.

Another annoying thing is that my life has improved and my finances are very comfortable. All the watches I wanted as a young adult, I can not buy now because they are behind a wall or “investors” who are queuing on wish lists.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:03 AM   #98
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Agree with you. It’s annoying also to see the brands reduced to hype. I was happy to be able to buy anything and keep them, or sell them at a small loss. Now I need to think about what I say, how I say and feel bad when I get a Rolex that I ultimately don’t like as much as I’d want to.

Last exemple was the new submariner. Didn’t enjoy it so I sold it. Back then I wouldn’t care, now it feels wrong somehow.

Another annoying thing is that my life has improved and my finances are very comfortable. All the watches I wanted as a young adult, I can not buy now because they are behind a wall or “investors” who are queuing on wish lists.

I have to echo your sentiments as well good sir! I was totally ok with buying watches before and understanding that if I didn’t like them I would move on at a loss. Now we have to be judged for doing this? It’s crazy, the whole hobby is crazy. It some sort of privilege now to be put on a paper list and line up to hand over 10k-30k of my cash? Bonkers right? I’m not saying this doesn’t happen with other brands and collecting hobbies. My wife has a very similar experience when she buys purses. I get that it all breaks down to supply and demand, and the brands have done a great job of creating this vision of prestige and exclusivity. It just blows my mind how we all buy into this hype.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:27 AM   #99
harvey
"TRF" Member

Thank you Pete for the pics!
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:27 AM   #100
ChipotleBanana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespeach View Post
Guess the hype over the Hulk is dying down.
Been watching chrono24 and the prices are slowly dropping. About 10% since first of the year. I suppose the greys that were holding them tight have started to let them go.

Spoke to my AD and he said he never saw why there was such a demand. But he added, chances seeing a Hulk in the wild was like seeing a blue SkyDweller. Just does not happen often.
There are so many more Hulks in the world than blue Sky-Dwellers. Over ten year production run and no intense demand until the last three years. You will certainly see green submariners.
ChipotleBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 07:55 AM   #101
Hazzyf
"TRF" Member

Certainly been a ride
Hazzyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 12:53 PM   #102
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i got on this train when it kicked off. aussie dollar was stronger than greenback when i got on board (maybe like 2012 or so?) and the hulk cost me 9k aud from davidsw. i was so thrilled!

things happen and tastes change etc etc and i let it go as part of a bulk sell off. and now my brain won't let it go!

so yes, this is my complaint. i follow my epicurean sensibilities with watches. logic and rationality begone! but now because that 9k aud watch went bananas, i walk around like the guy who got kicked out of the beatles!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote