The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 November 2019, 02:27 PM   #1
kip595
"TRF" Member

Seeking Possibly Odd Advice

Hey guys,

Seeking some advice and hoping this is the right area. I've done most of my non-NIB/Dealer purchases in-person, often with the aid of trusted third parties, I.E. personal professional acquaintances such as jeweler friends.

I've come across a piece, not Rolex but of a similar/slightly lower level, from the 1960-70s, that I find immensely appealing, online. Upon doing research, I realized I've seen this watch, and I do mean this exact example, SN matching, in at least 3 sales over the last three years on three different forums/sales sites. At previous times I was either out of the market or, initially, didn't have the funds for an aprox. 1k USD purchase.

Everything about the watch itself seems to check out; my jeweler agrees the photos indicate nothing to show falsity. But something about seeing the same one go up for sale three years running, from three different, all seemingly reputable folks, gives me pause.

I haven't posted images as the ads, both old and new, are easily found via image search, and I in no way mean to doubt or disrespect the current or previous owners.

Granted, even at the current asking price it isn't in DJ costs, let alone a Daytona, but I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has ever encountered a similar scenario, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks, as always!
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Can you share the make and model?

It helps to know because if the watch is not as desirable in the community it can make a lot of sense for it to be passed around several times in trades or just by people who catch and release a certain model.

I’ve personally seen a Panerai I traded years ago change hands twice on different sites so I’m not surprised about it because it was not a very desirable model.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 04:11 PM   #3
kip595
"TRF" Member

A 70s Longines Ultra-Chron with the uncommon blue dial face. The current owner has been totally up front about it's having changed hands a few times, so I am personally inclined to believe the veracity of the watch as well as the seller.
Old 15 November 2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Ultra Chron, like the Seiko Lord Marvel from that era, run 36,000bph so needs servicing quite often and can run poorly if not well maintained. Did you get any timegrapher numbers from the seller, or an idea of how its keeping time? Maybe people are flipping it because its not keeping time.
Old 15 November 2019, 05:21 PM   #5
kip595
"TRF" Member

Watch is said to be running well and keeping good time within spec, serviced within the last 12 mos (documentation requested). I like the high BPH designs myself, but appreciate their need for greater care in some ways.

I get your point though. The more often service frequency doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why some would shy away from it.
Old 15 November 2019, 05:27 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Good info OP and Adam.

I can’t add anything else.

Good luck with the transaction.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip595 View Post
Watch is said to be running well and keeping good time within spec, serviced within the last 12 mos (documentation requested). I like the high BPH designs myself, but appreciate their need for greater care in some ways.

I get your point though. The more often service frequency doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why some would shy away from it.
I have a few 36k vintage Grand Seikos from the 60s-70s all running great. Much better than my vintage Rolexes generally. I say go for it if you're intrigued.