The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 April 2018, 09:48 PM   #1
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
CLS Horsche & Co

Met the owner Charlie Shi some time ago when I was looking to purchase a watch. He shared stories from his lifetime as a watchmaker and I found him very interesting.

I recently noticed a small vibration from the rotor in my watch, took it to Charlie and he completed a full service for me in just one week! Watch has been running great and he gave me a two year warranty! Very pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 02:57 AM   #2
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Updating this post because since it was written opinion has changed. i started noticing about 6 months after service that my watch seemed to have an auto wind issue, full power reserve when wound, but would eventually die overnight if worn continuously. He honored the warranty and the issue seems to be gone, but he seems to have scratched the top side of my lug with the spring bar. In fairness I cant prove it was him because i did not take scratch inventory before dropping off but it would be hard for me to have scratched the inside of a lug. Now, another member has just reached out to me and said he had a negative experience, he was charged $850 because Charlie claimed a new part was needed but didnt explain what it was, Charlie claimed some parts were not authentic on the watch even though the watch was bought new from an AD, and Charlie has a cash only policy that he does not inform about until time for pick up. overall several negatives have led me to the position that i would not re-use and i need to update this post to keep anything else from being in the position of regretting following my advice. Thanks
Old 16 November 2019, 03:50 AM   #3
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
The name alone sounds like a crook. He defygave you the business
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #4
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
Well, in all fairness that is his American-Chinese hybrid name. He is a 70 year old asian man, I dont think many could pronounce the the name he was given at birth, so i am not bashing him because all and all i have a watch working well for now. He has all of his certificates from years past on the wall CW21, Rolex watchmaker, ect. It seems like years have made him numb and slightly careless and money strains may have him increasing pricing or just being dishonest. As mentioned i have decided i would not go back and i would simply caution others but I do not want to beat the guy up.
Old 16 November 2019, 05:15 AM   #5
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
Updating this post because since it was written opinion has changed. i started noticing about 6 months after service that my watch seemed to have an auto wind issue, full power reserve when wound, but would eventually die overnight if worn continuously. He honored the warranty and the issue seems to be gone, but he seems to have scratched the top side of my lug with the spring bar. In fairness I cant prove it was him because i did not take scratch inventory before dropping off but it would be hard for me to have scratched the inside of a lug. Now, another member has just reached out to me and said he had a negative experience, he was charged $850 because Charlie claimed a new part was needed but didnt explain what it was, Charlie claimed some parts were not authentic on the watch even though the watch was bought new from an AD, and Charlie has a cash only policy that he does not inform about until time for pick up. overall several negatives have led me to the position that i would not re-use and i need to update this post to keep anything else from being in the position of regretting following my advice. Thanks
Soooo you come on here 1 1/2 years later drag up a thread that no one commented on originally and go and trash the guy you were singing praises about? Mainly because of a scratch on a lug that you can't confirm was scratched by the person your were praising? Who actually fixed another problem under warranty almost 6 months after the fact and drag this up over a year later? Then trash the guy again off a complaint from someone you don't even know? I don't know this watchmaker you are talking about, but seems like he held up to his end of the deal. You sound more like the problem, and I feel you are very unfair with your complaint 1 1/2 years after the fact, in which he fixed again....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 06:31 AM   #6
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Soooo you come on here 1 1/2 years later drag up a thread that no one commented on originally and go and trash the guy you were singing praises about? Mainly because of a scratch on a lug that you can't confirm was scratched by the person your were praising? Who actually fixed another problem under warranty almost 6 months after the fact and drag this up over a year later? Then trash the guy again off a complaint from someone you don't even know? I don't know this watchmaker you are talking about, but seems like he held up to his end of the deal. You sound more like the problem, and I feel you are very unfair with your complaint 1 1/2 years after the fact, in which he fixed again....
Soooo, I am not sure if you had a rough morning or what but, i dragged up thread that was 1-1/2 years old to update an opinion. Opinions generally change when additional facts are presented. The fact that no one commented on it originally has nothing to do with it, it is one of the only reviews on the company on TRF which was obviously read and considered because someone messaged me asking about the company. A year and a half ago i was singing praises that i had my watch back in one week and it seemed to be working, then i had to take it back in because of an issue, then i noticed the scratches, then i contacted by someone else with a bad experience. Those items led to a changed opinion that deserves to be stated on a watch community forum. I trashed no one even commented about his certifications, stated he honored the warranty, and that i have not had a problem since. But it is still worth worth warning locals who may consider using his services because of the negatives that were experienced since this was originally written.
Old 16 November 2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Soooo, I am not sure if you had a rough morning or what but, i dragged up thread that was 1-1/2 years old to update an opinion. Opinions generally change when additional facts are presented. The fact that no one commented on it originally has nothing to do with it, it is one of the only reviews on the company on TRF which was obviously read and considered because someone messaged me asking about the company. A year and a half ago i was singing praises that i had my watch back in one week and it seemed to be working, then i had to take it back in because of an issue, then i noticed the scratches, then i contacted by someone else with a bad experience. Those items led to a changed opinion that deserves to be stated on a watch community forum. I trashed no one even commented about his certifications, stated he honored the warranty, and that i have not had a problem since. But it is still worth worth warning locals who may consider using his services because of the negatives that were experienced since this was originally written.
Sooo, What I'm getting from this is you're the problem. Still. And my morning was excellent...
Old 16 November 2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:

You are trashing this guy. You're warning people not to use him....
Old 16 November 2019, 09:09 AM   #9
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[/B]

You are trashing this guy. You're warning people not to use him....

Here are the photos, I have never removed the bracelet myself, so I was trying to be fair when I said I can’t prove it was him but if you can tell me how else this would have happened. I decided to leave my review as is because he did honor the warranty. Then I get a message from someone saying they had a bad experience. I believe my assessment is fair and I would not want another member to have these marks on their watch.

Old 16 November 2019, 09:37 AM   #10
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Ok, get yourself a fiberglass pencil and blend those scratches out. It would take all of about 5 minutes.

I dont understand the bashing. I can understand if within a much shorter time frame. It reminds me of people who walk into a restaurant, eat their entire meal and then complain about how bad the food was, ask for a discount or to not be charged at all and then go out and bash the restaurant. If it was so bad then why was it finished? Same idea I read above.
Old 16 November 2019, 09:37 AM   #11
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Here are the photos, I have never removed the bracelet myself, so I was trying to be fair when I said I can’t prove it was him but if you can tell me how else this would have happened.

The scratches in the above pic look more like those one might get when inadvertently banging into things. They are not really indicative of the typical scratches that even an amateur watchmaker or DIY'er might incur with bracelet removal/installation, IMO. One would reeaaaly have to try to scratch the top of a lug like that when R&R'ing a bracelet. Especially an experienced watchmaker with the proper tools. Just my $0.02.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 11:43 PM   #12
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Ok, get yourself a fiberglass pencil and blend those scratches out. It would take all of about 5 minutes.

I dont understand the bashing. I can understand if within a much shorter time frame. It reminds me of people who walk into a restaurant, eat their entire meal and then complain about how bad the food was, ask for a discount or to not be charged at all and then go out and bash the restaurant. If it was so bad then why was it finished? Same idea I read above.
Or, kind of like leaving a positive, glowing review of the restaurant. Then a year and a half later complain and go back on your review because you think, but aren't sure the waiter gave you a dirty look? Only after someone contacted you about your review, and voiced a negative experience they had with the restaurant, which had absolutely nothing to do with you.
Old 17 November 2019, 12:33 AM   #13
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

A watch was serviced. It had to be re serviced a year later. The watch was 100% scratched on the back of the lugs by the watchmaker, a second person was charged 850 and told day of pick up cash only, informed his never serviced AD purchased watch had non genuine parts. And I am supposed to leave my original review when all that has happened since?

I have a great meal, leave a great review, go back a year later and get a bad meal but decided to look past, then some contacts me and says hey I saw you left a great review of this restaurant and when I went I had a pretty bad experience. I think I would also take down or revise my original review because it is talking about an experience that I no longer receive when I go. I can’t remove the thread, if this bothers you guys so much and want to contact admin to remove completely I am fine with that, I just don’t want my name representing a company I no longer have confidence in.

I thought this was a community that try’s to help other members, after my last experience earlier this year and someone else’s last week I would feel guilty if someone else had a bad experience because I left great review that can be searched regardless of how old
Old 17 November 2019, 12:43 AM   #14
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or, kind of like leaving a positive, glowing review of the restaurant. Then a year and a half later complain and go back on your review because you think, but aren't sure the waiter gave you a dirty look? Only after someone contacted you about your review, and voiced a negative experience they had with the restaurant, which had absolutely nothing to do with you.
So by this logic, if you sold a watch to someone and they transferred the money right away, were understand if shipping was delayed and you left a positive buyer review, and then a year later he says he wants a refund and says you didn’t give a good price, ext, you decide to look past it and the issue is resolved, then you get a message from another seller on the forum that says hey I saw you had a good experience selling to this guy but he is a real hassle, you would leave your positive review?
Old 17 November 2019, 07:46 AM   #15
scoot4nat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A watch was serviced. It had to be re serviced a year later. The watch was 100% scratched on the back of the lugs by the watchmaker, a second person was charged 850 and told day of pick up cash only, informed his never serviced AD purchased watch had non genuine parts. And I am supposed to leave my original review when all that has happened since?

I have a great meal, leave a great review, go back a year later and get a bad meal but decided to look past, then some contacts me and says hey I saw you left a great review of this restaurant and when I went I had a pretty bad experience. I think I would also take down or revise my original review because it is talking about an experience that I no longer receive when I go. I can’t remove the thread, if this bothers you guys so much and want to contact admin to remove completely I am fine with that, I just don’t want my name representing a company I no longer have confidence in.

I thought this was a community that try’s to help other members, after my last experience earlier this year and someone else’s last week I would feel guilty if someone else had a bad experience because I left great review that can be searched regardless of how old

Earlier you said you couldn’t prove the scratches were the fault of the watchmaker yet here you claim that it was 100% his fault. Furthermore the pictures you’ve posted look typically like scratches picked up from general wear and handling.

Finally, I find it a bit bizarre that you feel the need to represent someone else’s opinion on this forum.

scoot4nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 09:56 AM   #16
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot4nat View Post
Earlier you said you couldn’t prove the scratches were the fault of the watchmaker yet here you claim that it was 100% his fault. Furthermore the pictures you’ve posted look typically like scratches picked up from general wear and handling.

Finally, I find it a bit bizarre that you feel the need to represent someone else’s opinion on this forum.

I said in the recent post the scratch on the back is 100% his fault, in the earlier post I was referring to the scratches as a group because I was trying to be general and just update the review. I didn’t think every specific detail needed to be listed out. It was my honest attempt to try and not sound like I was totally trashing him, and even defended him in post three when someone made fun of his name. I can’t scratch the back of my watch I don’t remove the bracelet so he did those without a doubt. The one on the front could be general wear and tear as you said which as I stated I cannot prove was him even though there are several posts where that exact same scratch location was cause by putting the bracelet back on and missing the hole and the force applied from the back pushes it through the top and the spring bar springs out and scratches the lug on the top side.
Old 18 November 2019, 12:36 AM   #17
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So by this logic, if you sold a watch to someone and they transferred the money right away, were understand if shipping was delayed and you left a positive buyer review, and then a year later he says he wants a refund and says you didn’t give a good price, ext, you decide to look past it and the issue is resolved, then you get a message from another seller on the forum that says hey I saw you had a good experience selling to this guy but he is a real hassle, you would leave your positive review?
Your logic is just as screwed up as your re-review. I post my own experiences and not the experiences of people I don't know or have first hand knowledge of. Especially a review that was 1 1/2 years ago, that no one cared about anyway, then revive it just to trash a guy over something you had no hand in. And yes it is trashing someone...
Old 18 November 2019, 06:02 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
what sounds like a "crook"
From what I see, the guy repaired the watch, got a glowing review then repaired it under warranty.
Especially after it looks to me from OPs photo it took a nasty knock.

Ridiculous post and comment
A
Old 19 November 2019, 12:33 AM   #19
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

This whole thread is nuts.
OP - drink it off.

And get a fibreglass pencil and sort yourself.
Sheesh.
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote