The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 October 2014, 04:09 AM   #61
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Do not listen to all the haters, I really can't believe mods would join in this bashing. You got a good deal and elated to share your story with The Rolex Forum, and I though people would be happy to hear about your good fortune. I love this forum but times like this when users are viscous towards a new member is just unneeded and immature, makes me second guess why I am contributing to the forum that condones this type of behavior. Enjoy your new piece and hopefully it will bring you 20+ years of enjoyment as it did the original owner.
x2 a few months back when some guy on here found an original 6536 for sale from a jeweler, he said he could get it for less than $10k even though it was a $50k+ watch, and ended up buying it without the jeweler knowing any the wiser. and plenty of people encouraged it here, and even congratulated him when he full well screwed some guy out of more money than some make in a year. he gave you a price and you paid. That's how free trade systems work.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...ht=6536&page=3 this guy, probably a $75k+ watch and I guarantee he paid a pittance.(like sub 10k)
Old 8 October 2014, 04:14 AM   #62
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do not listen to all the haters, I really can't believe mods would join in this bashing. You got a good deal and elated to share your story with The Rolex Forum, and I though people would be happy to hear about your good fortune. I love this forum but times like this when users are viscous towards a new member is just unneeded and immature, makes me second guess why I am contributing to the forum that condones this type of behavior. Enjoy your new piece and hopefully it will bring you 20+ years of enjoyment as it did the original owner.
X 2.....
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
Old 8 October 2014, 04:32 AM   #63
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
X 10. Misplaced righteous indignation running amok in this thread.

To the OP, welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around.
Old 8 October 2014, 04:46 AM   #64
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
I'm just chuckling at everyone assuming the old man was broke and needed the cash due to his rusty old truck...
Old 8 October 2014, 04:56 AM   #65
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMan View Post
Troll...
Taken back, no offense meant. You saw it, you took a risk and moved in, and it proved to be the real deal. Congrats! It is not as if you
Old 8 October 2014, 04:57 AM   #66
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Glad you cleared it up. Whatever the status of the old man, it was a good deal full stop.

Nick
Old 8 October 2014, 05:39 AM   #67
psv
"TRF" Member

The whole thing just seems odd to me, regardless on how the old guy came in possession of the watch, if it was his and/or stolen, whatever. Needless to say, you paid a really good price for a Rolex Submariner. Still not the way I do business, but if it made you happy and no one was hurt, I'm all for it.
Old 8 October 2014, 05:47 AM   #68
Comacho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
No question about ownership.

No question about where the watch came from since he was the original owner. All the original paperwork was complete with his information and signatures. All matching the watch perfectly. He said its been in a drawer for 15 years. Obviously a full service is needed but overall its in pretty great shape for an often worn 28 year old watch.
Old 8 October 2014, 05:50 AM   #69
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comacho View Post
No question about where the watch came from since he was the original owner. All the original paperwork was complete with his information and signatures. All matching the watch perfectly. He said its been in a drawer for 15 years. Obviously a full service is needed but overall its in pretty great shape for an often worn 28 year old watch.
So you didn't sell it for 5x like someone claimed earlier?
Old 8 October 2014, 05:52 AM   #70
psv
"TRF" Member

Seems like this seller was very poorly informed or in dire straits for cash. Only you know the entire story or the condition/situation of the seller, but people, including myself, seem to quickly jump to a negative conclusion. Let us know how the service goes and if it all checks out.
Old 8 October 2014, 05:52 AM   #71
Comacho
"TRF" Member

uhhh not even close

Like I stated previously, I've been drooling and dreaming about one of these for years. This thing's not going anywhere ANYTIME SOON :D I figured I could wear it another 20 years and give it to my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
So you didn't sell it for 5x like someone claimed earlier?
Old 8 October 2014, 06:06 AM   #72
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Like I stated previously, I've been drooling and dreaming about one of these for years. This thing's not going anywhere ANYTIME SOON :D I figured I could wear it another 20 years and give it to my son.
Old 8 October 2014, 06:18 AM   #73
User_Error
Banned

Sounds like a great deal, the guy got what he asked for and wasn't clueless. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyone who says they would not have done the same is lying. I don't care if you wipe your butt with $100 bills, there's no way anyone here is paying MORE than asking price, regardless of the situation. If that's truly the case, I could use some extra dough, so all of you looking to give away money pm me for my PayPal details. I'm sure it will make you sleep better at night knowing you helped someone. ;) Perhaps some of you might have walked away from the deal thinking it might be shady, that would be understandable, but I don't buy the whole "I would have offered more money" argument.
Old 8 October 2014, 06:18 AM   #74
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
The old man with the rusty truck probably took the watch for service, got a $1500 estimate and sold it to you thinking your the sucker.

Congrats on the watch, the service will probably cost you more than you paid for it.

Old 8 October 2014, 06:26 AM   #75
Comacho
"TRF" Member

I know it definitely needs service and even if it does cost more than i paid, I think I'm fine with that. Who would you guys recommend for service?
Old 8 October 2014, 07:08 AM   #76
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116660
Quote:
I know it definitely needs service and even if it does cost more than i paid, I think I'm fine with that. Who would you guys recommend for service?

Send it to Rolex Service Center, I wouldn't trust anyone else.
Old 8 October 2014, 07:34 AM   #77
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Old 8 October 2014, 08:34 AM   #78
bearone2
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
x
Old 8 October 2014, 08:38 AM   #79
bearone2
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
if you pay the sellers asking price have you really taken advantage, if so how??

it sounds like too many folks don't like to find a bargain & are resentful/spiteful when someone else does.

if the buyer would've bought a fake, he'd have been ridiculed for not doing his homework.

op: enjoy the watch.
Old 8 October 2014, 08:42 AM   #80
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
To the op ( welcome brother and congrats on a new deal) its the best feeling to get a great deal. I was jusst offered a bnib explorer 2 42mm for 6200 i almost wish i wasnt!

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Old 8 October 2014, 08:52 AM   #81
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Old guy in rusty truck probably got out of it what he paid and wore it for damn near 30 years. Good deal to most people.
Enjoy your watch. It is a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2014, 09:04 AM   #82
alexkarbo
"TRF" Member

Maybe the old man put a fake sub in an original box? Just wondering because normally when it's too good to be true….If not well it is the steal of the century :)
Old 8 October 2014, 09:27 AM   #83
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Have you considered going back to the "old" guy and giving him a present of say $500....you would feel good, and so would he.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 8 October 2014, 09:42 AM   #84
Matt C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
Have you considered going back to the "old" guy and giving him a present of say $500....you would feel good, and so would he.
Why would he, the old guy bought the watch brand new, wore it for twenty years and then sold it at his asking price. To ask him to gift him more money is insanely bad advice. Now if the man asked the OP what the watch was worth and he told him a low number to get a better deal than it would be different. I wish everyone would stop giving this guy bad advice, its really ridiculous and insulting to the integrity of this forum.
Old 8 October 2014, 10:18 AM   #85
Rzani
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
OP I wouldn't do this. Don't let everyone make you feel guilty. You did nothing wrong. Absolutely no reason to just give him more money.

Again, congrats on the watch and welcome to the forum!
Old 8 October 2014, 10:37 AM   #86
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Why would he, the old guy bought the watch brand new, wore it for twenty years and then sold it at his asking price. To ask him to gift him more money is insanely bad advice. Now if the man asked the OP what the watch was worth and he told him a low number to get a better deal than it would be different. I wish everyone would stop giving this guy bad advice, its really ridiculous and insulting to the integrity of this forum.
I'd say it's just the opposite.
Old 8 October 2014, 10:37 AM   #87
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
No offence, but I'd tone it down if I'd just straight-faced an old guy out of a few grand.
That.
Old 8 October 2014, 10:39 AM   #88
Montrealer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalflight View Post
plot twist:

Seller just posted on his own forum site that he sold an old watch for 5x his purchase price.

lol!
Old 8 October 2014, 11:15 AM   #89
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is a lesson to anyone who ever buys a watch for pennies on the dollar. DONT TELL ANYONE WHAT YOU PAID!!!!!!!!! Lets pretend some poor homeless guy spends 20 dollars at the loto scratch off machine and wins nothing. I come along with my solid gold Daytona spend 2 dollars and win a million. Who cares lifes short. Forget about the purchase price. Sometimes the sun will shine on my butt and I can get a good deal like op. Highly unlikely but ehh still dreaming. What the op did was win the "Rolex Lotto" a lotto many of us only dream of.
Old 8 October 2014, 11:33 AM   #90
Matt C
"TRF" Member

My First Rolex... acquired in the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!

The OP is just happy about the deal he got on a great watch. That's it, and whoever sees more than that is reading through the lines and assuming all this crazy sh*t. I'm not wasting any more time on this crap. My advice to the OP is just don't feed into the negativity, it's nonsense.
Closed Thread