The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 February 2019, 06:42 AM   #1
hangukman
"TRF" Member

3800 Question

Since I am into small size dial and interested in 3800, I did some research and only thing I can find is used 3800 (of course) with either no box or no paper. In other words, no full set.

What are your thoughts on 3800 and buying used patek without either proper paper or box?

Thanks in advance.
hangukman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:50 AM   #2
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Nice vintage classic Patek Philippe watch, smallish looking today, very risky purchase from unknown source. Is it genuine, what is service history, etc., etc, etc....Buy the seller (trusted seller only) and even then keep a reserve for cosmetic or functional repairs.
Old 20 February 2019, 07:01 AM   #3
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Nice vintage classic Patek Philippe watch, smallish looking today, very risky purchase from unknown source. Is it genuine, what is service history, etc., etc, etc....Buy the seller (trusted seller only) and even then keep a reserve for cosmetic or functional repairs.
Thanks for the input. The place I am looking at is a legit place but I just haven't bought a watch without fullset before.....
Old 20 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #4
soundserious
"TRF" Member

You won’t find a full set. Don’t bother looking. Pay market value and get a 5711 full set. Watch wears very well on most wrist sizes.
Old 20 February 2019, 11:30 AM   #5
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I see you’re in NY if you’re in NYC , I’m pretty sure Michael Ashton has a 3800 full set. I pass buy there everyday and he has had a 3800 in the window for a few months now.
His watches are pristine and he pretty much will only have full sets.
Prices are high and can be a pain but his product is A+.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Depends on the price
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:59 AM   #7
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

I love mine.

It came with the Extract from the Archives, no box.

I got it because of the rare dial and the condition it was in, and I have no plans to sell it.

It’s been to the Patek Service Center process and serviced, so it has service documentation.

No regrets on not getting a full set. Would do the same if there is a platinum 3800 out there in immaculate condition.

vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:22 PM   #8
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the responses and information. Helps alot !!!
I did contact Michael Ashton and waiting for their response.
As much as I like 5711, I just love the proportion of 3800.
Old 20 February 2019, 06:22 PM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I live in NYC and have purchased a few Pateks from Ashton including a full set stainless 3800. He has excellent inventory and is extremely reliable but it may require a bit of patience from a first time buyer.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:39 PM   #10
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I live in NYC and have purchased a few Pateks from Ashton including a full set stainless 3800. He has excellent inventory and is extremely reliable but it may require a bit of patience from a first time buyer.
Is there some sort of waiting list for this? Is that why it might require a bit of patience for a first time buyer? Also do you remember the price of the 3800 from Michael Ashton?
Thanks
Old 20 February 2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Cravings7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Depends on the price
Exactly.
Cravings7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 10:14 PM   #12
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravings7 View Post
Exactly.
Roughly where would you draw the line?
Old 20 February 2019, 11:07 PM   #13
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangukman View Post
Is there some sort of waiting list for this? Is that why it might require a bit of patience for a first time buyer? Also do you remember the price of the 3800 from Michael Ashton?
Thanks
No waiting list everything is for sale. You just need to make an appointment to view the watches. You need patience to deal with him :)
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 11:51 PM   #14
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Roughly where would you draw the line?
3800 is an older watch...and you can get an extract from the archives. You just need to open the back and order it. If its not a fake and you can order it... not really a problem.

The mkt for a 3800 is going to be smaller than a 5711

I bought my daughter a 4700 and it cost me 8k. I was happy with the price. I paid 150 for an extract. No papers or box. But i ordered from toruneu so I knew it was a real watch.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks
No, there's no waiting list for any of the watches. Michael is a sole proprietor so, unlike Tourneau, he is not available every minute of the day. Because of security issues, only one customer can be in the store at a time. There have been so many armed robberies at Manhattan watch stores that it makes sense not to let people in unless you know them. Call and make an appointment and explain exactly what you are interested in. Ashton's watches are posted on Chrono24 so you can check prices there.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:54 AM   #16
hangukman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehartmann View Post
I love mine.

It came with the Extract from the Archives, no box.

I got it because of the rare dial and the condition it was in, and I have no plans to sell it.

It’s been to the Patek Service Center process and serviced, so it has service documentation.

No regrets on not getting a full set. Would do the same if there is a platinum 3800 out there in immaculate condition.

That looks awesome on your wrist!
Old 31 December 2020, 04:03 AM   #17
CoreyJv401
"TRF" Member

I have a 3800 full gold with everything beside the large original box. I even have the original receipt from 1996( it says special order $27k and the guy got it for 18$K��) I estimate it to be worth around $55k now. I’m collecting her for ever, but it would be cool to see it reach 6 figures.

Beautiful watch
CoreyJv401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 06:50 AM   #18
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyJv401 View Post
I have a 3800 full gold with everything beside the large original box. I even have the original receipt from 1996( it says special order $27k and the guy got it for 18$K��) I estimate it to be worth around $55k now. I’m collecting her for ever, but it would be cool to see it reach 6 figures.

Beautiful watch
Why did you revive 3 old threads for the same comment that you have one and it’s now triple the value.

I know you are new to forum... welcome. But if you want to post your collection, start a new thread as an introductory post. Or look through current threads to discuss and chat vs. you have a gold 3800 and its tripled its value but you’ll never sell it.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2020, 08:39 AM   #19
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Why did you revive 3 old threads for the same comment that you have one and it’s now triple the value.

I know you are new to forum... welcome. But if you want to post your collection, start a new thread as an introductory post. Or look through current threads to discuss and chat vs. you have a gold 3800 and its tripled its value but you’ll never sell it.
Agree, very odd
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2021, 09:31 AM   #20
CoreyJv401
"TRF" Member

Lol I guess the question is Rhetoric considering you answered it to the T. I joined a forum, looked for something that interest me, made a comment. Not very odd but maybe I’m wrong. There’s Not many posts about 3800’s.
CoreyJv401 is offline   Reply With Quote