The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 January 2019, 02:53 PM   #1
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Pre-Owned Pieces Advice

I need your help talking some sense into me. I have recently gotten into the hobby, but have been struggling with whether or not it is OK to “wear another man’s watch” ie purchasing pre-owned pieces. I have been purchasing to keep and not flip, but that gets pretty pricey really quickly. My main reason for collecting is to hand down to my children at some point when they are older (18th birthdays, etc). With the goal to keep and hand down, should I stay with new or is it weird to buy a used watch to hand down eventually? I currently have two watches each in the $4k-$5k range and one that was gifted to me a few years back in the $2.5k range. However, my taste is getting finer and more costly as I am looking at my next purchase (possibly an Omega Grey Side of the Moon or Panerai).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:31 AM   #2
thewheel82
"TRF" Member

LOL. Buy what you like at the price point that suits you. Who cares if another person bought it from a store first. If the watch is in good condition and works properly then who cares. Watches are not like underwear...

I bought my 2018 Omega SMP from a trusted seller. Only blemish was a very faint mark on the the brushed clasp. Since then in the past week I have put a BUNCH of marks on the clasp and could care less. Watches are meant to be worn.

If you are in to vintage cars would you refuse to own one because someone else owned it before you?
thewheel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:00 AM   #3
BespokebyBMO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheel82 View Post
LOL. Buy what you like at the price point that suits you. Who cares if another person bought it from a store first. If the watch is in good condition and works properly then who cares. Watches are not like underwear...

I bought my 2018 Omega SMP from a trusted seller. Only blemish was a very faint mark on the the brushed clasp. Since then in the past week I have put a BUNCH of marks on the clasp and could care less. Watches are meant to be worn.

If you are in to vintage cars would you refuse to own one because someone else owned it before you?

Great points. Like I said...needed some sense talked into me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BespokebyBMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 03:20 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
If a pre-owned watch comes at a significant savings as compared to a new one, then I see no harm in buying them as keepers. For some makes that interest me this makes lots of sense: Omega, Zenith, IWC come to mind. I dig Omega's Constellation, Zenith's El Primero Chronographs, and IWC's Portugieser with the 7-day automatic movement, but I certainly would prefer any of those pre-owned and pocket significant savings.

A Patek Nautilus, now, is a different story :-)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 04:41 AM   #5
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

The only time pre-owned gives me pause is if the watch has an unknown service history or is due for a service, and the cost of such a service would essentially negate the price difference between the used price or buying new. There are also different levels of “new” that get tossed about in the mix. New from an AD is not the same as new from a trusted seller. You could find a “pre-owned” watch that has never been worn, for example. As noted above, some brands lose their value quicker than others, so they can present a buyer with a lot of opportunity to save.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 01:53 AM   #6
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Nothing wrong with pretended in A1 condition with full provenance. Apart from Rolex, PP, ALS, AP and a couple of others most brands take a massive hit when they leave the store.
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 09:50 AM   #7
wesdaniel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I look at most watches very similarly to cars. Let someone else buy them new and take the hit on depreciation. Unless you can get watches gray market or you have a way of getting very sought after watches, then buying an older watch is a great deal.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 11:06 AM   #8
phdezra
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I look at most watches very similarly to cars. Let someone else buy them new and take the hit on depreciation.
phdezra is offline   Reply With Quote