The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2019, 02:33 PM   #1
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
Need advise- PP5146R vs ALS Saxonia AC Rose

Had my mind set on the 5146R until reading another thread asking about PP vs ALS. Admittedly, I had it in my mind that ALS was way out of my budget so I never looked too hard. I found the Saxon Annual Calendar and it is in the same price range as the 5146. The PP has a power reserve meter and the ALS does not. It will be a daily driver and in a winder when not worn.

I know this is a PP forum so there is some bias Pro/Cons on my choices? Thanks!
DenaliHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 02:51 PM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Personally, I think the ALS is a better looking watch. Not a big fan of the font used on the Patek for the numerals, and the fact that it’s different va the date window. Granted, I haven’t seen the PP in person yet, but I got to see and try on the Lange and it is jaw dropping.

mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The 5146R has a warm cream lacquered dial which goes very well with the rose gold case. It also has a power reserve indicator and the lugs are shorter than that of the Saxonia AC (the 5146R wears smaller).

The Saxonia AC has the useful big date and a beautiful micro rotor (which explains the thinner 9.8mm profile, vs the 11.2mm of the 5146R). The rose gold version comes in a "colder" silver dial. The sub-dials are uncluttered and easy to read too.

Both dials are balanced and beautiful in their own way. It's hard to choose between the 2 really. I have the 5146R and recently tried on the Saxonia AC at the boutique, but did not pull the trigger because the 5146R already serves my needs. If I have owned the Saxonia AC instead, the answer might be different.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 03:17 PM   #4
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

I would look at Lange 1815 AC also. Aesthetically, I prefer it over Saxonia AC. Between Lange 1815 AC and Patek 5146, it is a literally a coin toss for me.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 03:32 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The Saxonia AC has arguably a nicer movement finish but otherwise, it is boring to look at dial side. 5146R any day.
Old 14 February 2019, 05:42 PM   #6
daveyw
"TRF" Member

I prefer Lange. More legible and more wrist presence
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The Saxonia AC has arguably a nicer movement finish but otherwise, it is boring to look at dial side. 5146R any day.
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
I considered this Lange reference when I was choosing an annual calendar. I ended up going with 5146 because it’s more casual, has lume, power reserve indicator, warmer dial, and the Patek prestige. The fact that Patek invented the annual calendar function was not lost on me either.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 08:44 PM   #9
cdlerx
Banned

It is the 5146 for me any day.
cdlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 10:38 PM   #10
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
The Lange AC is one of my favorite ALS watches. I love the big date. The sub dials are easy to read. The movement is beautiful.

I only wear bracelets (live in a hot climate and don’t like replacing straps) so there goes the Lange.

The 5146 is the benchmark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 11:24 PM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
The Lange AC is one of my favorite ALS watches. I love the big date. The sub dials are easy to read. The movement is beautiful.

I only wear bracelets (live in a hot climate and don’t like replacing straps) so there goes the Lange.

The 5146 is the benchmark.
I have been thinking the same thing. We are down in Naples for three months and I was thinking that a strap watch would be very impractical in a warm, humid climate. I imagine suntan lotion and/or sweat don't mix well with many straps.

Not that I'm complaining (in some ways Naples has been more enjoyable than Chicagoland this winter, lol), it just makes me reconsider the merits of bracelets vs. straps.
Old 15 February 2019, 12:07 AM   #12
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I have been thinking the same thing. We are down in Naples for three months and I was thinking that a strap watch would be very impractical in a warm, humid climate. I imagine suntan lotion and/or sweat don't mix well with many straps.

Not that I'm complaining (in some ways Naples has been more enjoyable than Chicagoland this winter, lol), it just makes me reconsider the merits of bracelets vs. straps.

I live on the other side of the state in Boca Raton and I came to this conclusion years ago. It unfortunately reduces your choices fairly significantly. You have the Royal Oak, the Overseas and the Nautilis. I’ve never liked the Nautilis even when they were selling at a discount. The Royal Oak is awesome but the finish is finicky and aggravates me when I see scratches or blemishes. You never see the Overseas. The 5146 comes on a Patek dress bracelet which is really beautiful. It is all polish which means it doesn’t show marks nearly as much. This also means it can be touched up with the Cape Cod cloth pretty easily. The white gold version is now made in solid gray gold and is not rhodium plated.

A winner all the way around. It looks good dressed up, it looks good by the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:49 AM   #13
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the thoughts. I am looking for a strap vs bracelet. Which levels the PP vs ALS. The 1815 is out of the running due to the way the date is shown. Truthfully, I use the date function more than any other features of the watch. I think I will need to go put them both on side by side and see which sings loudest.
Old 15 February 2019, 02:31 PM   #14
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Saxonia Calendar! The case size and clarity of the dial are fantastic---it is a watch that grows and grows on you!
1. Perfect size for a Lange given how the case wears big.
2. Big date is really nice to have.
3. Very clean dial.
4. It is actually the Lange perpetual movement with two less parts. Apparently when they made the watch originally they took the decision to use the same movement. The watch has at 476 vs 478
5. Zero reset function--very cool and I think the only annual calendar that has it.
6. The case is nice and thin which is impressive given the added complications compared to the Patek. Namely the big date and the zero reset function.

RE the 1815 annual calendar--I thought I would like it better, but actually with the two next to each other I found the Saxonia Calendar more subtle and really prefer the way the date is displayed. Also, I find the dial more balanced on the saxonia calendar and prefer the sizing which I think is a function of the larger wearing style of the Lange case.

The metal is a subjective thing, but for me I like the WG version best due to the blue hands which look stunning against the dial. Also, the brushed mid case is really nice and I find white metal watches a little more under the radar.
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:41 PM   #15
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

5146 is kind of small and plain, in this case I’d take the Lange but would not buy new from AD
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:59 PM   #16
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I like the 5146 in terms of classic looks compared to this one. I love Lange more and more lately but I really prefer the large windowed dates on Lange 1 more than Saxonias.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:12 AM   #17
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Could you stretch for a Lange Perpetual? Lovely watch, miss mine.
Old 16 February 2019, 02:42 AM   #18
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Could you stretch for a Lange Perpetual? Lovely watch, miss mine.
I wish... Both options are at the top end of my budget.
Old 16 February 2019, 04:22 AM   #19
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

5146 for me. I’m biased as I have the white gold with the slate dial. I really prefer that dial over the cream one, it has a little more going on and it’s more legible. The 5146 has a definitive Patek look to it and it’s a great daily wearer which IMO an annual Calendar should be.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:24 AM   #20
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Just sW the last thread. I’ll add my 5146 is on the “drop” bracelet as it’s called and it’s a real thing of beauty!
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:24 AM   #21
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaliHD View Post
I wish... Both options are at the top end of my budget.
Ugh, I know that feeling. Good luck!

If the PC then Lange no question....no Patek PC holds value and the Lange is much nicer. If AC then Patek, they invented the complication.
Old 16 February 2019, 07:36 AM   #22
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
I have mentioned this before but the power reserve indicator is an extremely useful function for an annual calendar.

Just now I glanced over at the Patek and noticed it’s low on power. I then removed my watch and put this on instead.

IMG_5419.jpg
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote