The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Not sure why there remains confidence in Patek resale?

Plentiful Examples of prices can readily be found for serious current pieces with heavy discounts on the Preowned market
90k to 50 k.

50k to 35k

Etc.

Consider those are seller prices, if an owner seeks a trade in value it could typically be 20% less than the already steep discounts.

How is this breeding confidence from forum members regarding Patek resale?????

the nautilus is not the typical owner experience.

Older sought after vintage models are not the experience of current models.

Either Stop the insanity or acknowledge our bar for what is good performance has been seriously bent.

Patek may perform better than the conglomerate brands on resale but it is still just shy of abysmal.

Not saying I don’t appreciate and hold Patek watches in high regard for many reasons, I am just saying that imho we need a reality check.

PS keep in mind that the #s above are representative of the current market not the potential collapsing market in our future.

Can we reasonably expect 90k msrp to go below the current 50k preowned number? How low? 40k...30k...25k? I don’t know but if the seller is motivated and the market becomes so soft, who knows?

Of course it could be looked at as a buying opportunity but we can expect that money will remain with the historically strong performers.
Old 27 January 2019, 12:33 PM   #62
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree with this. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

For me, Lange is the new Patek.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:47 PM   #63
AAP8
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Not sure why there remains confidence in Patek resale?

Plentiful Examples of prices can readily be found for serious current pieces with heavy discounts on the Preowned market
90k to 50 k.

50k to 35k

Etc.

Consider those are seller prices, if an owner seeks a trade in value it could typically be 20% less than the already steep discounts.

How is this breeding confidence from forum members regarding Patek resale?????

the nautilus is not the typical owner experience.

Older vintage models are not the experience of current models.

Either Stop the insanity or acknowledge our bar for what is good performance has been seriously bent.

Patek may perform better than the conglomerate brands on resale but it is still just shy abysmal.

Not saying I don’t appreciate and hold Patek watches in high regard for many reasons, I am just saying that imho we need a reality check.

This is why I can never find myself wanting to pay over retail - loosing money is a given for many watches - but loosing after paying a premium is a double whammy.
AAP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:56 PM   #64
blindpilot
"TRF" Member

Ball watches are clearly superior. 😁

Kidding aside- ALS, VC and Journe are contenders for me.
blindpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 08:20 PM   #65
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I am considering adding a non-sports watch to my collection....and to some extent, thats what’s behind my original question.

For me, I wouldn’t look anywhere else other than Patek, AP, and Rolex.

I’m naturally drawn to Patek, but if it’s not a sports watch, and it doesn’t have interesting complications then they seem overpriced compared to others.

I have also looked at the Cellini range, as for a PM Rolex these seem very good value, but i just can’t get excited about them.

Thanks to the responses on this thread I’ve spent a lot of time looking at VC and Lange, as well as some brands I’ve never heard of, which has been interesting.

I’m pretty sold on the VC Patrimony and that would give me the holy trinity which would be cool, and the blue would look great with a blue suit (my suit of choice).

But...I have also been looking a lot at Parmigiani at the Parmigiani Toric PFC423-1600201-HA1241 for three reasons, (1) I love the design, (2) its ‘different’ and not a brand that a lot of people know, and (3) my local Rolex AD has started stocking them and I like to support the AD if I can.

This thread has been really useful, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 09:29 PM   #66
Sam3641
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I am considering adding a non-sports watch to my collection....and to some extent, thats what’s behind my original question.

I’m naturally drawn to Patek, but if it’s not a sports watch, and it doesn’t have interesting complications then they seem overpriced compared to others.

I have also looked at the Cellini range, as for a PM Rolex these seem very good value, but i just can’t get excited about them.

Thanks to the responses on this thread I’ve spent a lot of time looking at VC and Lange, as well as some brands I’ve never heard of, which has been interesting.

I’m pretty sold on the VC Patrimony and that would give me the holy trinity which would be cool, and the blue would look great with a blue suit (my suit of choice).

But...I have also been looking a lot at Parmigiani at the Parmigiani Toric PFC423-1600201-HA1241 for three reasons, (1) I love the design, (2) its ‘different’ and not a brand that a lot of people know, and (3) my local Rolex AD has started stocking them and I like to support the AD if I can.

I’ve been looking at Parmigiani too! Amazing watches and without the marketing fluff surrounding the likes of PP and Rolex.
IMHO Apart from Patek-Philippe being able to claim kudos on their long history, Parmigiani is a far superior watch!

Sam3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:36 PM   #67
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam3641 View Post
Parmigiani is a far superior watch!
They're so low-key I kind of forgot about how awesome their watches are! Thanks for posting, there are really great brand.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 01:55 AM   #68
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

I would put VC, AP and Lange at the same level as PP. VC and Lange both do dress watches very well while I think AP does sports watches very well. The reason PP is so highly regarded is because the do everything very well from high-end complications, PM dress watches to SS sports.

But if you are looking for a dress watch, definitely go VC and get the holy trinity.

I love my VC Patrimony as I find it simple, elegant yet understated. Modern-sized yet ultra-thin. It was actually the first of the Holy Trinity that I bought and added the PP and AP later. I don’t worry about resale as I cannot imagine I will ever sell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
In terms of the whole package including brand I put nobody above Patek.

In terms of the watches without bias there are many, as noted GF for sure.

I’d say Journe, ALS, and a handful of other small independents. Honestly VC still belongs at the table as far as I’m concerned. Their high end stuff is really impressive.
agree. Whole Package its Patek at this level. The same as at the Rolex level there is no one who can compete with them as a whole package either.

There are better brands in certain areas but all around, i dont think so
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 03:30 AM   #70
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
VC Patrimony in platinum is a great watch. I also like the 1921 from them but it’s way more gauche.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 06:34 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
VC Patrimony in platinum is a great watch. I also like the 1921 from them but it’s way more gauche.
Is that a fancy word for neck-breaking?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 07:32 AM   #72
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Is that a fancy word for neck-breaking?
Kind of, yeah. I mean I'd get one but I think they're way overpriced.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 10:34 AM   #73
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
IMO FPJ and ALS.
SpunkyQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 05:20 PM   #74
patriot885
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1A-001 116520
Roughly, there are only 3 historical watch makers who are still independent those are Patek Philippe, Audemar Piguet and Rolex.
Patek is second to none.

As to all the small manufactures such as mentioned, they are great but you can't compare a few years old boutique watchmaker to a 100+ years old independent company.
From the car world, Pagani are amazing cars but won't get close to Ferrari or Porsche.. try in 40 years from now..
patriot885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 07:51 PM   #75
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
fpj and roger smith for sure.

+1

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:10 PM   #76
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot885 View Post
Roughly, there are only 3 historical watch makers who are still independent those are Patek Philippe, Audemar Piguet and Rolex.
Patek is second to none.

As to all the small manufactures such as mentioned, they are great but you can't compare a few years old boutique watchmaker to a 100+ years old independent company.
From the car world, Pagani are amazing cars but won't get close to Ferrari or Porsche.. try in 40 years from now..
Rose tinted nonsense... what has independence and history got to do with producing a superb product?
Ford make good cars, Toyota makes equally good cars, Lexus make much better cars — of those 3, who’s been around the longest?

Why do you propose Patek, etc are incomparable with FPJ or Lange & Sohne, for example?
Presumably you’ve never heard of George Daniels or Philippe Dufour, or Christian Klings, let alone Bovet, DeBethune or MB&F?
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 09:38 PM   #77
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Curious to ask, especially from owners, where you guys think H. Moser ranks among these big names?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 10:06 PM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Curious to ask, especially from owners, where you guys think H. Moser ranks among these big names?
I do like them and their aesthetic, I put them on a similar level to JLC and Breguet, they would all be competing for my money in this dress space.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 01:12 AM   #79
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Ranking brands is a (bit of a) fool’s errand – you only end up arguing with yourself over why certain pieces you fancy should be dismissed.
If you like the look of something and the price right, then get it and just enjoy wearing it.
In light of Neil’s assessment, I’d argue that Moser is well past JLC MC (Lab & Duometre is quite different) and so different from Breguet as neither would be involved in an either or scenario.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #80
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

On the subject of Moser/PP, I assume we've all seen this? Gave me a laugh, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHR5Lso-HU
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 02:26 AM   #81
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
Patek leads the industry on resale. Brands like Urban Jurgensen are every bit as good if not better. The dials, case and movement finish, technology and feel of the UJ is much nicer in my opinion than Patek. Similar price point watches.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:50 PM   #82
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
On the subject of Moser/PP, I assume we've all seen this? Gave me a laugh, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHR5Lso-HU
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Ranking brands is a (bit of a) fool’s errand – you only end up arguing with yourself over why certain pieces you fancy should be dismissed.
If you like the look of something and the price right, then get it and just enjoy wearing it.
In light of Neil’s assessment, I’d argue that Moser is well past JLC MC (Lab & Duometre is quite different) and so different from Breguet as neither would be involved in an either or scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I do like them and their aesthetic, I put them on a similar level to JLC and Breguet, they would all be competing for my money in this dress space.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote