The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 February 2019, 07:43 AM   #1
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Vintage GS Expert Advice Needed (First GS 3180)

I have been looking at this amazingly beautiful watch, however I am by no means a vintage GS expert.
The dial obviously has some spots on it (which I dont mind at all), but is there anything else I should look out for? Such as later or unoriginal parts, or perhaps concerns that the dial might be in very bad condition and change for the worse within a few years? Any input is highly appreciated.

The watch is from 1962 with “raised logo” and is a reference J14070 (or 3180). No box/papers, so what would be a fair price estimate?
IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpgIMG_0091.jpgIMG_0092.jpgIMG_0093.jpgIMG_0094.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
It's ok, likely all original. I assume this is 14k gold-filled, which is why it looks a bit soft around the edges. It's a great piece, but the earliest I would go with GS is the next model, the 43999, and its later versions the 5722-9990 and 9991. These had more robust movements and screwdown casebacks, and the couple I have owned have been great runners. If you want a dress watch from the early-mid 60s you might also look at some of the Seikomatics, some of which had all the style and the same high-quality SD "Special Dial" as your 3180, and 6200-family movements, which were later used in the first GS automatics, for a small fraction of GS prices.
Old 1 February 2019, 04:27 PM   #3
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Hard to tell from the angles, but possibly the crown is from the King Seiko or Lord Marvel, and not Grand. This is a very common thing to come across - the parts are interchangeable, and the differences very subtle, and you will come across Firsts with Lord Marvel or King Seiko crowns very often.

The King Seiko crown is slightly more domed than the Lord Marvel one, and the Lord Marvel one is slightly more domed than the Grand Seiko one, and it is generally believed - but there is no absolute confirmation on this - that the "S" on the crown for the GS is non-serif.

It should be pointed out that even in the issue of Seiko News from March 1961 that explained the Grand Seiko "First" to subscribing retailers, the watch is pictured with three different crowns (there is no doubt that the very earliest printed and carved logo dial watches had different crowns to those watches produced later).

I have to respectfully disagree with Old Expat Beast - I own, and have owned, more Grand Seiko "Firsts" than probably anyone outside Japan. As long as you treat the watch with respect and service it when needed, it will give you decades of faithful time keeping. These watches have lasted for close to 60 years for a reason!

The spotted patina on the example you show is considered by many to be very attractive, but at the end of the day, it needs to be your own opinion as to whether it works for you (personally, I love it).

Everything else about the watch checks out fine - the movement number is in the correct ballpark for a 1962 watch, all dial features are correct, and the caseback has the correct medallion.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Great to have you on board and welcome to TRF Gerald
Old 1 February 2019, 06:06 PM   #5
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Wow, thanks for the amazing replies guys, that is very informative and helpful. Nice to have some experts around who are willing to help a newbie out, this is what makes watch collecting fun.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:56 AM   #6
biaoist
"TRF" Member

I agreed with Gerald, the movement is surprisingly accurate for an old watch.

and I'm also agreed with Old Expat Beast, this watch is very very delicate. No screw back case, for my GS the glass isn't sealed properly hence the moisture from the hand washing or a little rain can get onto the dial. but that's also why the spotted patina is so sexy :) to each of their own.

Mine, says Hello :) IG:biaoist
biaoist is offline   Reply With Quote