The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2014, 05:23 AM   #121
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
That's very true. I find myself exactly at this stage where my taste start to change from chunky, stylish sporty looking watches to smaller, more classical, elegant designs. Comfort also become more of a priority than it ever use to be. Resale is an important consideration though most important for me is I truely like the watch.
I think I am in the exact same stage
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 06:18 AM   #122
2muchtimeonmyhands
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I actually prefer the 5726 in white

Sent from the 3-4 Watches Philosophy Company headquarters
Same here, seems to work well with 5726 dial, gives the nautilus a very clean look that I like. Although it wasn't until I actually got my hands on it that I appreciated it. For whatever reason I still prefer the 5711 in blue though.

So in order to join 3 watches company hq I suppose a prerequisite is that you actually own 3 watches?
2muchtimeonmyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 06:26 AM   #123
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtimeonmyhands View Post
Same here, seems to work well with 5726 dial, gives the nautilus a very clean look that I like. Although it wasn't until I actually got my hands on it that I appreciated it. For whatever reason I still prefer the 5711 in blue though.

So in order to join 3 watches company hq I suppose a prerequisite is that you actually own 3 watches?

Lol.
3 or 4 is the norm; if you go to number 5 you will be immediately kicked out

And me too the 5711 I also prefer blue; is just with the 5726

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 10:50 AM   #124
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
That's very true. I find myself exactly at this stage where my taste start to change from chunky, stylish sporty looking watches to smaller, more classical, elegant designs. Comfort also become more of a priority than it ever use to be. Resale is an important consideration though most important for me is I truely like the watch.
Sometimes is not a shift in taste, sometimes is a balance problem. That's my situation I think. My collection errs in the dressy side so of course I am craving chunky, sporty looking watches ( the opposite of you) Maybe your collection errs on the chunky/sporty and you are craving dressy.
Or maybe in your case is a true change in taste; but in my case I think is just a balance problem that can be easily balanced.

Albert Einstein
Old 2 November 2014, 04:16 AM   #125
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Thank you Jorge, this is a truly fascinating thread.

My "collection" is up to 6 Rolex...which is more than enough. The penny dropped last week when I was in an AD trying on the New WG GMT. I happened to be wearing my BLNR at the time, and looking at the BLRO all I could think was "why?"

I have my heart set on an AP 15400....and am seriously considering a PP 5167 down the road. I can see 3 or 4 Rolex being flipped in the near future....

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2014, 05:42 AM   #126
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Don't know why but white dial Nautilus don't do anything for me, saw the 5711 and 5726 in white and I find them very boring, the blue, grey, brown and other dials I like much more...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2014, 09:56 AM   #127
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Don't know why but white dial Nautilus don't do anything for me, saw the 5711 and 5726 in white and I find them very boring, the blue, grey, brown and other dials I like much more...
I know, understand, and accept that this is all a matter of personal taste....at this time, the Nautllus is not for me (whatever complication or color). It simply does not sing to me.

I am slowly falling for the AP 15400....and am wanting to love the Aquanaut (but not there yet)...

As an aside....it's not easy, this business of spending money without wasting any.

Old 2 November 2014, 01:39 PM   #128
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post

My "collection" is up to 6 Rolex...which is more than enough. The penny dropped last week when I was in an AD trying on the New WG GMT. I happened to be wearing my BLNR at the time, and looking at the BLRO all I could think was "why?"

I have my heart set on an AP 15400....and am seriously considering a PP 5167 down the road. I can see 3 or 4 Rolex being flipped in the near future....
Smart man and that's the beauty of Rolex ! They give you the option to flip without being slaughtered. Just acquired a 5167 and 15400 this year and they are well worth it.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 12:38 AM   #129
koz123
"TRF" Member

This thread made me rethink my whole collection. I'm going to go from 8 to 4 asap.
Old 3 November 2014, 01:19 AM   #130
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I could live with 2 watches: Hulk and 5070P or 5170 (since 5070's are hard to find). Or in third place a Platona.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 01:23 AM   #131
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
This thread making me think I need to add more Patek...5070 hmmmm.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 02:51 AM   #132
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You are welcome Clive. I know it doesn't apply to all. But if it makes a heck of a lot of sense to me, it should apply to many.
Is fun to wear your grails all the time.

Albert Einstein
Old 3 November 2014, 08:19 AM   #133
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
This is a great thread. I am too looking at shrining down the collection.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 08:26 AM   #134
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I agree and love this thread. I recently went down to 4 watches and it's actually a lot less stressful deciding which one to put on in the morning. I now have a system for which one to wear and when.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 10:00 AM   #135
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
This is a great thread. I am too looking at shrining down the collection.
Do it! You don't need to do it as abruptly as I did. Take your time until you find the 3-4 more beautiful watches that you can afford and go from there.
I should be adding my 4th one in January after SIHH, but you know already my choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
I agree and love this thread. I recently went down to 4 watches and it's actually a lot less stressful deciding which one to put on in the morning. I now have a system for which one to wear and when.
Hey, nice to see you back, 4 is a great number.

Albert Einstein
Old 3 November 2014, 12:35 PM   #136
wmh2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex/PAM
This is one of the best posts that I have read on the forum. As someone fairly new to the hobby, it is possible to get caught up in the "more is better" mindset. I have had watches that I acquired and then felt obligated to wear, so this message really connects with me - have pieces that always speak to you for the situation, and everything else can go.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. This may be the first post ever on the forum that saves me money! (That may be wishful thinking)
wmh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2014, 12:56 PM   #137
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmh2 View Post
This is one of the best posts that I have read on the forum. As someone fairly new to the hobby, it is possible to get caught up in the "more is better" mindset. I have had watches that I acquired and then felt obligated to wear, so this message really connects with me - have pieces that always speak to you for the situation, and everything else can go.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. This may be the first post ever on the forum that saves me money! (That may be wishful thinking)

Glad I can help

Albert Einstein
Old 8 November 2014, 10:17 AM   #138
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I need to learn from your experience mate! Way too many watches I have and not enough wrist time with them!
Old 10 November 2014, 02:00 PM   #139
lapince
"TRF" Member

I finally changed my signature, it's a little long of course but if you were to do the same thing it would probably be a whole page

Anyways wanted to thank you for making me understand that for me, exactly like you, less is better, it felt not right having great watches, IMO, sitting in the bank safe but I was thinking that they are great and flipping them would be stupid and I would loose money, of course I am loosing money but not too much as I got them all new but at good prices, but I feel much better knowing that these pieces will make someone happy, and they will be living a watche's life, getting wrist time and not aging slowly in the dark of a metal bank safe, which is not IMO where a watch should be, except if you are an investor and plan to keep them for 10 or more years before selling them for more, but that's not me, I invested in real estate but not in watches

Old 10 November 2014, 04:30 PM   #140
lapince
"TRF" Member

PS: Hope you don't mind if I attributed myself the job of vice president of your "3 watch company", I work for cheap, after all I seem to be the first follower of the cult, but surely not the last
Old 10 November 2014, 04:39 PM   #141
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
I need to learn from your experience mate! Way too many watches I have and not enough wrist time with them!
Believe me, I was like Jorge, even if I didn't have so many and such impressive pieces, but I just went from 9 to 3 and I feel much much better, more isn't always better for everyone
Old 11 November 2014, 03:13 AM   #142
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
Its a learning curve mate, to each is own
Quote:
I finally changed my signature, it's a little long of course but if you were to do the same thing it would probably be a whole page

Anyways wanted to thank you for making me understand that for me, exactly like you, less is better, it felt not right having great watches, IMO, sitting in the bank safe but I was thinking that they are great and flipping them would be stupid and I would loose money, of course I am loosing money but not too much as I got them all new but at good prices, but I feel much better knowing that these pieces will make someone happy, and they will be living a watche's life, getting wrist time and not aging slowly in the dark of a metal bank safe, which is not IMO where a watch should be, except if you are an investor and plan to keep them for 10 or more years before selling them for more, but that's not me, I invested in real estate but not in watches

You are welcome my friend, when you are in the middle of the hurricane with all the possible purchases available is hard to enter to reason, believe me I now I am on remission and luckily is going steady
Quote:
PS: Hope you don't mind if I attributed myself the job of vice president of your "3 watch company", I work for cheap, after all I seem to be the first follower of the cult, but surely not the last
Consider yourself part of the company mate just remember I am the majority shareholder of the company

Albert Einstein
Old 11 November 2014, 11:08 AM   #143
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its a learning curve mate, to each is own

You are welcome my friend, when you are in the middle of the hurricane with all the possible purchases available is hard to enter to reason, believe me I now I am on remission and luckily is going steady

Consider yourself part of the company mate just remember I am the majority shareholder of the company
Of course you are the CEO, founder and gourou, no question about that

I can't say that I am on remission, as it is really a relief for me to have gone down from 9 to 3, and I really feel much better and enjoying much more the pieces that I have left, and it's clear that I will not go to level 4 of the cult before a very very long time, of course I am always thinking when I like a watch would I really love to have it, would it really stay and have it's place with the other 3, and if I would decide to take the step it wouldn't be before the deadline I fixed for myself, which is minimum 1 to 2 years, but I find myself very content with my trio and it's very possible that I will decide to stick to it, but if not I would contemplate AP RO, don't know which one as IMO the 15202 is probably my fav but having a 5712-1A it would again IMO be too much in the same league, or PP Nautilus 5726, probably on strap, even if in theory I prefer the bracelet version but having 2 1A models would be too close for a 4 piece collection, or maybe if I decide to cross the line to a more dressy piece one day an ALS, but only time will tell and if I continue to be satisfied with my 3 and only 3, which I think should very likely be the case as I think my trio is just perfect for me, and I will only consider adding a 4th if I really want it for a long time and need it

Old 13 November 2014, 05:17 PM   #144
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Sorry for awful pic but 4 it is:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (186.8 KB, 760 views)
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 09:06 PM   #145
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Very cool 4 I must say

Old 13 November 2014, 09:13 PM   #146
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pretty damn close to the perfect foursome...

Old 13 November 2014, 09:30 PM   #147
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Awesome 4 , love your new addition. That 5170 is Sick
And the number allocated for each brand is also my preference : 2 PP, 1 AP and 1 Rolex.

Albert Einstein
Old 14 November 2014, 09:34 AM   #148
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Very cool 4 I must say

Quote:
Pretty damn close to the perfect foursome...

Quote:
Awesome 4 , love your new addition. That 5170 is Sick
And the number allocated for each brand is also my preference : 2 PP, 1 AP and 1 Rolex.
I made the qualification round

I agree on the breakdown it feels like the right balance, but we could always tweak:)

Metal, rubber , leather, SS, gold, date, dateless, bezel, genta, automatic, manual, black, brown, blue, white, lugholes, chrono, dot, stick, arabic, breguet

subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 09:57 AM   #149
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Subtona, if you want to downsize that 5170 Patek, please PM me. I would be interested in helping you slim down.

Quote:
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 11:15 AM   #150
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:

I made the qualification round

I agree on the breakdown it feels like the right balance, but we could always tweak:)

Metal, rubber , leather, SS, gold, date, dateless, bezel, genta, automatic, manual, black, brown, blue, white, lugholes, chrono, dot, stick, arabic, breguet

Absolutely
But at this point there is not many options that I would be interested. Either they are not good enough to push me to flip or if they are, they are well above budget.

Albert Einstein