The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 February 2020, 01:41 PM   #1
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 14060
What the heck have RSC's been on about??!!

Its 2020..And look at the repercussions!!!

Just trawl thru the countless posts asking now about the authenticity (or not) of this original dial vs that service dial.. these service hands... that relume...this "new" (should be old) bezel.... and on it goes...Rolex RSC's have single handedly destroyed thousands upon thousands of unique vintage watches... their own brand!!!.... And there is no apology (to the Rolex vintage community)?? Not even a "well we go that all wrong?!" ?

I thought these were supposed to be enthusiast "watch" guys!

And it seems c 2020...they haven't changed tac on this attitude?

What brand does that?

Who treats their loyal fan club like that?... you take in your pride and joy vintage piece (you've paid a fortune for) and they whisk it away and swap stuff out on you without even telling you or asking your consent first??

And they can't even be bothered to call mid service, to ask a loyal customer what you want to do?? In this day and age of sms and the mobile phone?!

Is that what I'm really hearing?

Is this for real?

And if you won't agree to this totalitarian type behaviour....they won't even service your watch?!!!

Come again?? Say what?!

Who are these guys?

Are they the mafia or something?

So what is/has been the explanation for this sort of behaviour?

Do they argue they can't get COS certification with an old dial or bezel??? (or something)

Is there any other explanation for this sort of business like bully boy behaviour with someone else's property?

And we all thought they were our watches?

Should we be re-thinking that?
wappinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 01:47 PM   #2
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I think you need to rethink some of the threads you have been posting?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
I’m not sure I understand. Rolex’s goal is to make your watch function as it was designed. To them a dial with dead lume is not functioning and thus needs to be replaced. Same with hands insert etc. I personally don’t see anything wrong with this. Yes I like vintage but I don’t fault them for trying to bring old watches back to spec. You wouldn’t want to wear a sub diving without being able to see the time (totally hypothetical I know everyone use dive computers now). You always have the option of going independent...
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 01:52 PM   #4
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
I’m not sure I understand. Rolex’s goal is to make your watch function as it was designed. To them a dial with dead lume is not functioning and thus needs to be replaced. Same with hands insert etc. I personally don’t see anything wrong with this. Yes I like vintage but I don’t fault them for trying to bring old watches back to spec. You wouldn’t want to wear a sub diving without being able to see the time (totally hypothetical I know everyone use five computers now). You always have the option of going independent...
Sure... but I've just been told independents don't get proper access to ongoing training, certified parts and equipment etc etc.. is that correct?

And why is this an excuse for not giving the owner of a watch the options or choice what to do ...say mid service?

And if one doesn't want to proceed- returning it in a state which you left it with them?
Old 7 February 2020, 01:54 PM   #5
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I think you need to rethink some of the threads you have been posting?
Why?

What's wrong with asking such questions?
Old 7 February 2020, 02:02 PM   #6
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post
Why?

What's wrong with asking such questions?

Because every forum we look at has you complaining about Rolex. Did they hurt your watch or are you just very concerned about other peoples' property ?
Old 7 February 2020, 02:38 PM   #7
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Because every forum we look at has you complaining about Rolex. Did they hurt your watch or are you just very concerned about other peoples' property ?
It's not complaining... it's a curiosity what on earth is going on with Rolex (the company)...?

That's all...

Sure I'm concerned about others property.. also what to do about my own.. and what the future holds for our beloved brand.... which seems to be living and operating in some sort of alternative 20thC Universe.

Love my Rolex..

But Rolex certainly doesn't have the business practices and be offering a service and retail experience that I am used to, in the 21C world that I live in right now...

That is for sure!

I doubt I'm the only one feeling this...

Anyway...

Just curious what the excuse is? - for such a draconian service center attitude... C 2020?

IMO!
Old 7 February 2020, 03:02 PM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not complaining... it's a curiosity what on earth is going on with Rolex (the company)...?
Quote:
Just trawl thru the countless posts asking now about the authenticity (or not) of this original dial vs that service dial.. these service hands... that relume...this "new" (should be old) bezel.... and on it goes...Rolex RSC's have single handedly destroyed thousands upon thousands of unique vintage watches... their own brand!!!.... And there is no apology (to the Rolex vintage community)?? Not even a "well we go that all wrong?!" ?
Yeah, that's complaining.

The way you phrase your questions is rather combative.

With that said, Rolex's primary objectives are to sell you a new watch or service your existing watch to return to like-new condition. Value retention isn't within that objective. Yes, they have a vintage department in Switzerland for truly rare and valuable pieces, but anything with a Cal 3000 or newer movement is treated the same and brought back to new and functional condition, value be damned.

There is no excuse to be assumed here other than a business model that doesn't align with the "collector" mentality. That's all.

Knowing that, independent watchmakers who use genuine parts or local Rolex dealers with in-house watchmakers are the best path for any watch one wishes to keep in a specific condition, be that original dial/hands, case finish, faded/worn parts, etc.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 04:52 PM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its 2020..And look at the repercussions!!!

I thought these were supposed to be enthusiast "watch" guys!

And it seems c 2020...they haven't changed tac on this attitude?

What brand does that?

Who treats their loyal fan club like that?... you take in your pride and joy vintage piece (you've paid a fortune for) and they whisk it away and swap stuff out on you without even telling you or asking your consent first??

And they can't even be bothered to call mid service, to ask a loyal customer what you want to do?? In this day and age of sms and the mobile phone?!

Is that what I'm really hearing?

Is this for real?

And if you won't agree to this totalitarian type behaviour....they won't even service your watch?!!!

Come again?? Say what?!

Who are these guys?

Are they the mafia or something?

So what is/has been the explanation for this sort of behaviour?

Do they argue they can't get COS certification with an old dial or bezel??? (or something)

Is there any other explanation for this sort of business like bully boy behaviour with someone else's property?

And we all thought they were our watches?

Should we be re-thinking that?
Why are you so frantic?

I mean come on, who asks questions this frantically?

Is this what I’m reading?

Frantic questions about the intentions of RSC?

What is the explanation for this behavior?

Who are you?

What do you mean?

What do you want TRF to do?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 04:59 PM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Spot on.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 05:09 PM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

They're assholes about vintage. We know this.

If you have a friend who's an asshole in some respects, either get a new friend or appreciate his good points and work around it. No point raging. He's not going to change.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 05:20 PM   #12
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Yeah, that's complaining.

The way you phrase your questions is rather combative.

With that said, Rolex's primary objectives are to sell you a new watch or service your existing watch to return to like-new condition. Value retention isn't within that objective. Yes, they have a vintage department in Switzerland for truly rare and valuable pieces, but anything with a Cal 3000 or newer movement is treated the same and brought back to new and functional condition, value be damned.

There is no excuse to be assumed here other than a business model that doesn't align with the "collector" mentality. That's all.

Knowing that, independent watchmakers who use genuine parts or local Rolex dealers with in-house watchmakers are the best path for any watch one wishes to keep in a specific condition, be that original dial/hands, case finish, faded/worn parts, etc.
Ok I didn't know pretty much any of this.. particularly the Vintage Dept in Switz... or anything after the Cal300 treated "as knew"... so thanks for that constructive info.. Cheers!
Old 7 February 2020, 05:24 PM   #13
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Why are you so frantic?

I mean come on, who asks questions this frantically?

Is this what I’m reading?

Frantic questions about the intentions of RSC?

What is the explanation for this behavior?

Who are you?

What do you mean?

What do you want TRF to do?
Just record it and acknowledge an enthusiast like me thinks there is a problem with RSC's here?

(I won't be the only one...)

I mean who knows...heaven for bid...might even bring change? I don't know....

This whole company seems hell bent not to change...

Just an observation... nothing more man....

I aint nobody other than a genuine enthusiast..

Anyway

Love my Rolex!
Old 7 February 2020, 05:30 PM   #14
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
They're assholes about vintage. We know this.

If you have a friend who's an asshole, either get a new friend or appreciate his good points and work around it. No point raging. He's not going to change.
Well I didn't know this till coming on this forum and asking a few second hand local dealers... so I am learning fast... I hate making mistakes on future purchases and the maintenance of such.....

"Rolex are Assholes about Vintage".. Ok.. I am starting to get it..

Weird that.. I would have thought as a company esteemed in tradition (and that being a massive selling point of the brand) it would be the absolute reverse..?

Yet another one of the amazing peculiarities of this rather ellusive company I guess..?

Anyway.. Appreciate the insight.. and Thanks for your informative contribution..

Cheers
Old 7 February 2020, 05:32 PM   #15
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Everyone I speak to bangs on about how great it is that Rolex and other similar brands make their watch look shiny new again when it goes in for service.

It’s a very small community of Internet nerds (I include myself btw) that want them to return our watch in its banged-up state with failing lume, faded bezel, corroded hands, dented case, stretched bracelet, and dirty dial!

If you really don’t want them to do all that, you can always find an independent watch maker to service it.

Not sure what this issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 06:00 PM   #16
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Everyone I speak to bangs on about how great it is that Rolex and other similar brands make their watch look shiny new again when it goes in for service.

It’s a very small community of Internet nerds (I include myself btw) that want them to return our watch in its banged-up state with failing lume, faded bezel, corroded hands, dented case, stretched bracelet, and dirty dial!

If you really don’t want them to do all that, you can always find an independent watch maker to service it.

Not sure what this issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure - I get we enthusiasts are a unique bunch! however, we are the pulse... the life blood - of the brand!!! So we need to be looked after IMO!.. It's Very hard to find such an independent watchmaker Rolex repair shop here my friend....and I live right in the heart a city of 5 million. Not the outback.. One of the big 2 cities in the country.... And I just talked to one of the premium vintage Rolex retail bricks and mortar dealers here about it (been in the industry 30 plus years) and even he said it's getting hard to find good independent second hand Rolex service.....watch making skills are a dying art?? Could a crisis be developing as old independent watchmakers die off?? Does Rolex need to address it's RSC's on this issue?? Anyway Appreciate your feedback...Cheers .
Old 7 February 2020, 06:08 PM   #17
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

^ So why couldn't Rolex have two distinct services? A/ Those for Joe Public (who wants his watch back like new) ...and B/ an "enthusiast service".

Just roll it out as a policy world wide...

I mean how hard can it be...?

To be flexible and give customers a choice?

A or B?

Heaven forbid.. l mean careful Rolex.... steady on here... are we moving too fast? ...to want a bit of flexibility here??.. it's c2020??!

I mean is that too much to ask?

Why does Rolex have to be such control freaks on this issue??.. like aren't they our watches??

(I'm starting to wonder!)

Geeeez!
Old 7 February 2020, 06:31 PM   #18
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

This OP began after a discussion with the premium vintage dealer here..

He has a pre luminoma GMT in stock from the 60's...it was kinda hard to check out on the webpage so I went in to see it bricks and mortar...

It's only after spending hours reading and asking questions on this forum and all the help back from everyone that I now know how to pick "service" dials, hands and bezel, relume..etc (so thanks to everyone for that)!

HEck before coming on here, I didn't even know a "Service" replacement (of "anything") even existed!!!.. I mean this is an anthema to me as an antique//vintage lover and collector..... of anything! Who does that?!!!

So it was real easy to pick once I looked at it in the flesh..it was obvious.. the entire thing has been "replaced".. by Rolex gdamn it.. maybe the dial in the 90's (it was still a tritium dial...but obviously not an original matt)..the hands who knows when?.. and recently (last service this year) the bezel..!!! destroyed!! By Rolex!

(and all the original parts thrown away!!!)

So I asked him "what the"??

He tells me well if it was an "original" orginal it would be worth another 10K!!!... so here we have proof Rolex has ripped up 10k of history~!

It's not the Chinese counterfeiters or the shonks or the ebay swinderlers... It's ROLEX itself!!!! say what!??!!!

Bloody tragedy!!! (if you ask me!)

He then pulls out his own (undamaged by Rolex) "equivalent" and now "I get it!!!"..(what all the fuss is about genuine vintage!) I mean wow!!!

Then he tells me even he's afraid to send his watch to the local RSC!!!!

got me thinking!!!

If he is thinking that.. what the heck have Rolex RSC's been on about all these years?!
Old 7 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #19
1665fan
"TRF" Member

How many vintage pieces do you own? To be so concerned....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 11:59 PM   #20
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

He has a pre luminoma GMT in stock from the 60's...it was kinda hard to check out on the webpage so I went in to see it bricks and mortar...

It's only after spending hours reading and asking questions on this forum and all the help back from everyone that I now know how to pick "service" dials, hands and bezel, relume..etc (so thanks to everyone for that)!

HEck before coming on here, I didn't even know a "Service" replacement (of "anything") even existed!!!.. I mean this is an anthema to me as an antique//vintage lover and collector..... of anything! Who does that?!!!

So it was real easy to pick once I looked at it in the flesh..it was obvious.. the entire thing has been "replaced".. by Rolex gdamn it.. maybe the dial in the 90's (it was still a tritium dial...but obviously not an original matt)..the hands who knows when?.. and recently (last service this year) the bezel..!!! destroyed!! By Rolex!

He tells me well if it was an "original" orginal it would be worth another 10K!!!... so here we have proof Rolex has ripped up 10k of history~!

It's not the Chinese counterfeiters or the shonks or the ebay swinderlers... It's ROLEX itself!!!! say what!??!!!

He then pulls out his own (undamaged by Rolex) "equivalent" and now "I get it!!!"..(what all the fuss is about genuine vintage!) I mean wow!!!

got me thinking!!!

If he is thinking that.. what the heck have Rolex RSC's been on about all these years?!

“Uh-huh. Speed kills, Del.” - Dr. Johnny Fever
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:05 AM   #21
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure - I get we enthusiasts are a unique bunch! however, we are the pulse... the life blood - of the brand!!! So we need to be looked after IMO.
This made me laugh. We are none of the above. We are a pimple on Rolex's prodigious butt! We cry and complain about stuff most of the real world doesn't give a rat's ass about. Why should Rolex cater to us, when they can just sell their watches to folks who won't cry and complain?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:12 AM   #22
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

I've not been here long.

I have some sympathy for those who feel they have lost out but quite quickly I came to the understanding of ....

If you want an original piece then you service with a local specialist who you can talk to throught the process.

If you want your watch restored to new then its RSC

It's very simple really.
Randomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 12:27 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

got me thinking!!!

I'm not sure you're too big of vintage enthusiast/collector if you never have heard of service dials and parts before. This has been going on for a long long time. It's not too complicated, many of these parts are no longer in production in original form and Rolex still wants to be able to service these watches (up to spec) if requested. Not everyone wants a semi-working "patina" watch. And Rolex can't service warranty a watch with non-working parts. Please put some thought into writing in paragraph form lol
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #24
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I don’t see it that way, I just sent in my 35 yr old Rolex date, and they didn’t even recommend replacing the tritium dial or hands. They were very responsive to my request and so far has been a great experience with RSV Dallas. I had them replace the silver dial with a black dial and replace the hands so they glow, and I got no push back. Highly recommend RSC Dallas, oh and they were cheaper then the independents I contacted.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 06:29 PM   #25
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Highly recommend RSC Dallas, oh and they were cheaper then the independents I contacted.
This is by design. Rolex makes it VERY difficult, if not damn near impossible for independents to get the parts that they need for service so the cost of the parts are high which raises the cost of the service by independents.

If more independents were allowed to hold these unicorn "parts accounts", independents would be less expensive.

To add to the OP's original discussion, I couldn't agree with you more. I've had a few issues with RSC on just ONE watch. In my experience, they absolutely give ZERO F's about your watch and your requests. They may or may not honor your requests and when they do mess up, you'll have to fight them to get some sort of resolution. The best part, when they do F up, they PERMANENTLY damage the value of the watch...and of course, they don't care.
Old 9 February 2020, 01:49 AM   #26
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I get restoring a watch to new condition. It’s a logical approach for a brand with a focus on today and the future.

What I do think is a clearly dubious practice is not returning parts to the customer who is buying new parts. These parts, especially dials and inserts, can have massive value. I’m not sure why someone who has been unwittingly had their valuable dial replaced (they post here from time to time) take legal action against Rolex to have it returned. The values we’re talking about these days are not insignificant.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 02:32 AM   #27
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
I get restoring a watch to new condition. It’s a logical approach for a brand with a focus on today and the future.

What I do think is a clearly dubious practice is not returning parts to the customer who is buying new parts. These parts, especially dials and inserts, can have massive value. I’m not sure why someone who has been unwittingly had their valuable dial replaced (they post here from time to time) take legal action against Rolex to have it returned. The values we’re talking about these days are not insignificant.
I hear ya, man, but I'm sure Rolex would rather you not have back your old $3,000 bezel insert that you could then sell to the next guy, whom they would MUCH rather have walk into an RSC so they could sell him a new one. Doesn't make it alright, of course.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #28
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
....This individual needs their own forum.

haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 07:19 AM   #29
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD
Honestly, I wouldn't send anything except a newer Rolex still under warranty to RSC. I'd go with an independent like Rik, etc.
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 10:09 AM   #30
Ignace Worang
"TRF" Member

That’s weird.....I sent my 6265 via local ad to Rolex Geneve and got options to keep the watch as is. They’ll change the mainspring and service it and nothing else....estimated time of completion is 6 months. I am not familiar with other RSC’s but if it is vintage, better contact Geneve directly.
Ignace Worang is offline   Reply With Quote