The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 August 2019, 05:42 AM   #1
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Extract from the archives after 3 years?!!

I heard from a grey dealer that you can actually order the extracts after 3 years in some cases (vs the 5 on the website). I personally have not seen an archive for a 2015/2014 watch yet. Has anyone?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I thought it was 5 as well
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 06:12 AM   #3
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I think the website states 5 years or older
agsstructures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:39 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen I know about the 5 years ; just wondering any truth to the 3+ year assertion?
Old 16 August 2019, 12:45 AM   #5
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Gentlemen I know about the 5 years ; just wondering any truth to the 3+ year assertion?
One way to find out, call HSWA in NYC.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 01:31 AM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

What special cases did the grey market source describe as qualifying for a 3-yr old watch’s owner to get an extract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 01:42 AM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
What special cases did the grey market source describe as qualifying for a 3-yr old watch’s owner to get an extract?

Didn't seem there was any special case, it seems he had success getting extracts for watches 3+ years old. I didn't really ask on what the success rate was.
Old 16 August 2019, 02:39 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I called Henri Stern Watch Agency in NY and spoke to Jennifer who confirmed they don't issue under 5 years. I also called my Govberg contact (also AD and grey) and they said no way in hell. No dealer I know has seen an extract for a watch less than 5 years old.

Quite bitter and salty since I bought a watch from a grey that was supposed to have the archive papers only to be informed they are "ordered but incoming" and now I have to return it after waiting over 30 days (I am protected by Ebay return policy). It seems you can certainly submit photos and they will take your $400 and give you a receipt but may ultimately reject your request. Either that or this grey has much more influence than Govberg or HSWA. Will not share more details because I don't want to affect anyone's reputation and it is a personal decision not to take the risk of going past the 30 day return policy and waiting and waiting for an extract. Nevertheless I thought I would confirm with you guys before I reach my conclusion.
Old 16 August 2019, 03:00 AM   #9
calatravaquanautilus
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the novice question but what is an extract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calatravaquanautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 03:24 AM   #10
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Extract from the archives after 3 years?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravaquanautilus View Post

It is a document listing the information held in the Patek Philippe Archives register (type of watch, movement number, caliber, case number, style, type of dial, date of manufacture, date of sale, bracelet type, additional information if any)

https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv...m-the-archives

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravaquanautilus View Post

Patek watches come with a Certificate of Origin which is the warranty and gives the watch serial number along with date of sale and original owner name. Many people do not want this information out there so they keep or destroy the COO when they sell the watch. Many were simply lost. What Patek does is issue an abstract giving the watch info, date of manufacture and sale. This document really serves to ensure the watch has not been stolen. I would pass on any watch without the COO if it is a new model less than 10 years old. Too much value loss if you do not get a great deal and you never do most of the time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:03 PM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Patek watches come with a Certificate of Origin which is the warranty and gives the watch serial number along with date of sale and original owner name. Many people do not want this information out there so they keep or destroy the COO when they sell the watch. Many were simply lost. What Patek does is issue an abstract giving the watch info, date of manufacture and sale. This document really serves to ensure the watch has not been stolen. I would pass on any watch without the COO if it is a new model less than 10 years old. Too much value loss if you do not get a great deal and you never do most of the time.
Your posts should come with a disclaimer stating that you’re opinion is just that and you are usually wrong. Many people should say some people and if you read the info on the Patek website about the archival certificate it doesn’t say anything about insuring the watch isn’t stolen.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:40 PM   #13
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Naw Jin , no one can get an archival certificate for a piece less than 5 years - just won’t happen, james in San Antonio:-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 12:44 PM   #14
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Ps if I was me, I would send piece back , now for refund. They mis-represented the piece to you( spelled lied) what else have they lied about? I would be out , your pal in Tx.
Old 16 August 2019, 08:09 PM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Your posts should come with a disclaimer stating that you’re opinion is just that and you are usually wrong. Many people should say some people and if you read the info on the Patek website about the archival certificate it doesn’t say anything about insuring the watch isn’t stolen.
Seems your response is a bit harsh. All we can offer are opinions. Anyway, Patek does maintain a stolen watch registry. If my watch were stolen I would notify them. Unless, its a home invasion the box and papers will not be with the watch. When someone seeks an Extract. Patek can run the watch numbers against their stolen watch registry. People seek the Extracts to add "value" to their piece. Whether the Extract actually adds value is obviously subjective with a purchaser. Cheers.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:28 PM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems your response is a bit harsh. All we can offer are opinions. Anyway, Patek does maintain a stolen watch registry. If my watch were stolen I would notify them. Unless, its a home invasion the box and papers will not be with the watch. When someone seeks an Extract. Patek can run the watch numbers against their stolen watch registry. People seek the Extracts to add "value" to their piece. Whether the Extract actually adds value is obviously subjective with a purchaser. Cheers.
Personally the extract gives me comfort that the watch is authentic and not modified since it describes the original watch condition. It also helps you date the watch and the date of sale and origins. Yes and it does get compared against the watch registry.

If you are a long term owner and don't care as much about a "collector's set", watch + extract is of decent value.
Old 16 August 2019, 11:45 PM   #17
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Personally, for me extract is almost as good as COO. For resale I don’t think there would be much difference in price. Of course I would prefer a COO. Without either I would not buy- too hard to sell or trade later. Just my opinion. :-)
Old 16 August 2019, 11:53 PM   #18
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Hey Bob , I had a PP ellipse stolen from my home and was talking to jeweler at Stern’s in NYC and he said they would flag that serial no. In case anyone tried to get it serviced they would notify me.regards , james in San Antonio Tx
Old 23 August 2019, 02:37 AM   #19
calatravaquanautilus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It is a document listing the information held in the Patek Philippe Archives register (type of watch, movement number, caliber, case number, style, type of dial, date of manufacture, date of sale, bracelet type, additional information if any)

https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv...m-the-archives

Got it. Thank you for the responses. That’s valuable information!

calatravaquanautilus is offline   Reply With Quote