The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Mgf8462
"TRF" Member

Worried about fakes when buying from Grey dealers.

I've seen a number of pieces for sale on TRF that I've considered buying BUT I'm nervous given the quality of some of the fakes that are out there now.

Obviously people will say to only buy from reputable dealers, but how many people buying from any number of these guys have actually popped off the case back and looked at the movement? Furthermore, they are now cloning the movements, making the fakes almost indistinguishable from the real deal, even for people who have been working on these watches for years.

I realize I'm being paranoid, but I'd be really upset if I found out I had been ripped off later down the road.

How do you combat this fear?
Mgf8462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I have.

Sent them off for service.

No issues.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:08 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
To combat the fear, buy from an AD, or buy from someone that you absolutely trust.

Otherwise, if you are not a Rolex watchmaker that can tell a fake from an authentic watch with certainty, I feel like you are out of options.

I have seen some decent deals on used watches, but I never take them because I am scared of being cheated.

Also, with older watches, parts might not be original, might not even go with that watch, etc.

The other day someone posted on here an older sub and asked for an opinion. Members replied that the lume on the bezel pip didn't match the hands or the dial plots... so that was iffy.

Other members mentioned that the bracelet that came with the watch was not the appropriate bracelet for that year watch or whatever....

It's tough.

That's why I am trying to stick to buying from an AD. Plus, I'm not super in a hurry to buy anything anyway.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:10 AM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
I have.

Sent them off for service.

No issues.
OP I forgot about this method of getting rid of the fear.

Some members buy a watch, then send it in to Rolex for service, and supposedly Rolex will make sure that everything is legit. If they don't contact you and say you have a fake watch or fake parts, then you should be good to go, plus you will have the papers that come with the service, so that you can show them to a potential buyer should you ever want to sell the watch.

Those papers might make them trust you a little bit more.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Warningshot
"TRF" Member

Only you can judge the risk tolerance you have as anything is possible. However there are trusted sellers here that handle 100’s if not 1000’s of these watches each year. Most likely have a competent watch maker they work with as most watches have a light polish to make them look new. The odds of a fake making it past a trusted seller would have to be negligible. I have purchased several watches from a trusted seller here and I have zero concern. Maybe that helps?
Warningshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Wes911
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I share your fear. A buddy that knew I liked watches and Rolex brought me back a high end fake from China last year. I was joking with my AD about it and she was like bring it in I will spot it in a minute. I brought it in and she was more or less stunned. Called the watch maker down and he was really impressed as well. Said they had never seen a fake of that quality. Did not have them open the case.

From that experience I learned I could absolutely be duped. I simply do not know anywhere close to enough to tell a high end fake from an original. I would like to hear thoughts on this topic as well. It is cliché but I guess the old buy the seller and not the watch is the best method of ensuring comfort level with what you are getting.
Wes911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:12 AM   #7
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Recently bought a DD40 from a grey.
Know who you are buying from.
Old 16 August 2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Mgf8462
"TRF" Member

I'm looking to buy a sub but unfortunately buying from an AD isn't really an option without waiting indefinitely. I've put my name on every ADs waiting list in LA for the past year and a half and I expect to never hear from any of them. Especially without any previous purchase history as this is my first piece so, I'm going grey.
Old 16 August 2019, 09:20 AM   #9
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I don't worry. We have great greys in California and I would not think to question their integrity.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Mgf8462
"TRF" Member

"I don't worry. We have great greys in California and I would not think to question their integrity."

That sounds like something a grey selling replica watches would say :)
Old 16 August 2019, 09:43 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
lol. On a serious note I bought a Smurf and Platona from greys in San Diego and never had a doubt to their authenticity. But I'm not a worrier by nature. Each has to make their own decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgf8462 View Post
"I don't worry. We have great greys in California and I would not think to question their integrity."

That sounds like something a grey selling replica watches would say :)
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:59 AM   #12
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Buy from an AD
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 08:19 PM   #13
lear60man
"TRF" Member

I bought my second Rolex from a Trusted Dealer who is highly regarded here. They have a brick and mortar location and great online reviews. That was good enough for me as they have waaaaaay more to loose in reputation.
lear60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #14
tigey
"TRF" Member

I have seen fakes and fake parts in genuine watches in the cases of Mall Kiosk jewelry stores. Once I saw a completely fake submariner and asked about it. The sales clerk said " everything they sell is authentic" the next week it was sold.
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:01 AM   #15
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I bought my Day/Date from a local gray and was 99.99999% sure it was real. However, when I took it to the RSC to purchase a grand link there was a moment of hesitation where I was worried that they would say it wasn't real or even stolen. So I ended up paying over $800 to make it a tiny bit larger and to calm my ever so slightly frayed nerves. Well worth it.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote