The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2023, 12:29 AM   #1
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Any 5134 owners? Is this the PP for me?

I recently discovered this model and I can't stop thinking about it. I've been having thoughts of consolidating my collection (currently 7...3 rolexes, 2 omegas, JLC, IWC)...selling 4-5 and getting a "forever" watch.

The 5134 has all I want in a watch. Perfect case size (I prefer 36-40mm), GMT/dual time complication, and not too dressy looking. I would most likely put on a shell cordovan, cordura, or even a pilot style strap on it to give it a more casual look. I would go for the white gold model. It looks like there are some variants I the dial...but they all look great to me so I would be happy with any of them.

The watches I would probably sell are the IWC (Spitfire automatic), JLC (Master Compressor Geographic), Omegas (SM 300 Heritage and MK40), and the 16710 Pepsi. Doing some quick math, this should leave me with more than enough to get one, as I see them go in the low $20K's.

I would keep the Sea Dweller 16600 and two tone DJ (this I will never sell as it has sentimental value).

I would love to hear from current owners and get your thoughts. And pic of course!
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:21 AM   #2
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

Good discovery! I’ve had a 5134p for two years and love it and it’s a special part of a bigger PP collection including a 5164a.

I knew about my watch for a year before I bought it sealed back from a Geneva service. I wanted to try a platinum watch and that’s what lead me to this one. There’s nothing like wearing platinum but that's for another thread.

I wore it to Switzerland on a 2 week trip including a stop at the Geneva Salon where my counselor mentioned that he doesn’t often seen them and he and I had fun deciding on a more casual strap amongst a tray full of samples he brought out. I opted for this navy blue matte alligator (no stitching) and below is it on a 5172 chronograph blue/white stitching strap.

What’s to like:
As you’ve discovered, it’s under the radar. Big + for me.
While the listed case size is 37 mm (10:00/4:00), it measures 39 from crown guard to pusher and 40 from crown to pusher. It wears like a 39.
It uses the proven manually wound 215/156 (215 PS FUS 24H) movement, 18 jewels, 28,800.
I like winding a watch.
Love crown guard cases.
They were made in a number of different styles/metals to suit one’s taste. I like the number dials better but the platinum only came with markers.
You get a lot for the money.
For some a very useful complication.

Not so much:
For a travel watch it would be helpful to have lume hands/markers.
I’m guessing my power reserve is about 40+ hours, maybe less, but I like winding so haven’t checked.
No date.
Hard to read small 24-hour home time subdial - but easy to see AM v PM at a glance.
I wish the home time skeleton hand was more visible with a different color/finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5134p - Face, Sml.jpeg (250.8 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpeg 5134p - Geneva Strap, Sml.jpeg (286.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0574.JPG (212.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0576.JPG (219.1 KB, 359 views)
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Great choice if you can find one.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:43 AM   #4
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Beautiful reference & find. Makes me wonder how many elegant discontinued Pateks are out there not known to many, and perhaps more easily obtainable...

5960P is one I've started to flirt with
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 10:13 AM   #5
Armis
"TRF" Member

This is the first discontinued PP that caught my attention many years ago. Specifically the platinum version, which I owned for a bit, and loved for all the reasons detailed above.
Do you not wear the other watches? As long as you won’t miss the variety, then this is a great addition.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 01:02 PM   #6
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Great choice if you can find one.
Yep...that will probably be a challenge. I checked chrono 24 and it looks like there are a few in Japan.
I doubt there are any for sale here in Korea. So maybe a weekend trip to Japan is in my future!
Old 18 October 2023, 01:04 PM   #7
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSB View Post
Good discovery! I’ve had a 5134p for two years and love it and it’s a special part of a bigger PP collection including a 5164a.

I knew about my watch for a year before I bought it sealed back from a Geneva service. I wanted to try a platinum watch and that’s what lead me to this one. There’s nothing like wearing platinum but that's for another thread.

I wore it to Switzerland on a 2 week trip including a stop at the Geneva Salon where my counselor mentioned that he doesn’t often seen them and he and I had fun deciding on a more casual strap amongst a tray full of samples he brought out. I opted for this navy blue matte alligator (no stitching) and below is it on a 5172 chronograph blue/white stitching strap.

What’s to like:
As you’ve discovered, it’s under the radar. Big + for me.
While the listed case size is 37 mm (10:00/4:00), it measures 39 from crown guard to pusher and 40 from crown to pusher. It wears like a 39.
It uses the proven manually wound 215/156 (215 PS FUS 24H) movement, 18 jewels, 28,800.
I like winding a watch.
Love crown guard cases.
They were made in a number of different styles/metals to suit one’s taste. I like the number dials better but the platinum only came with markers.
You get a lot for the money.
For some a very useful complication.

Not so much:
For a travel watch it would be helpful to have lume hands/markers.
I’m guessing my power reserve is about 40+ hours, maybe less, but I like winding so haven’t checked.
No date.
Hard to read small 24-hour home time subdial - but easy to see AM v PM at a glance.
I wish the home time skeleton hand was more visible with a different color/finish.
That looks great on the navy strap! That is probably the type of strap that I will go for.
Old 18 October 2023, 01:05 PM   #8
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
Beautiful reference & find. Makes me wonder how many elegant discontinued Pateks are out there not known to many, and perhaps more easily obtainable...

5960P is one I've started to flirt with
Those look amazing...but way out of my budget for the time being.
Old 18 October 2023, 01:08 PM   #9
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
This is the first discontinued PP that caught my attention many years ago. Specifically the platinum version, which I owned for a bit, and loved for all the reasons detailed above.
Do you not wear the other watches? As long as you won’t miss the variety, then this is a great addition.
I try to wear all my watches regularly. But sometime I think I do it just to do it...if that makes sense?
If I were to get the PP...that would be my daily wearer.
But I do want to keep a diver...so that is why I would keep the 16600.
Old 18 October 2023, 08:47 PM   #10
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
I try to wear all my watches regularly. But sometime I think I do it just to do it...if that makes sense?
If I were to get the PP...that would be my daily wearer.
But I do want to keep a diver...so that is why I would keep the 16600.
If you’re happier with quality vs quantity, I’d make the move. (I consolidated recently myself, to achieve quality over quantity and brand diversity in my collection)
It’s the Patek for you if you love looking at it on your wrist. I think it’s a great looking piece personally.
I’ve had several PP’s, and currently have one. It’s not the most popular Patek, but it’s the one I love to look at the most on my wrist.
It’s your happiness that matters. Happy hunting.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 09:04 AM   #11
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
A few items to note:
1) It’s easy to push the hour hand correctors (+/-) such that you may be reading the incorrect time. It’s happened to me a few times. Not often, but it’s something to pay attention to.
2) The skeletonized “home” hand can be a bit difficult to see. If it were a different color (steel blue?) it would be much more legible.
3) Both the solid hour and minute hands are very close in length such that it may require a double-take to read the time.

I am referring to the later version 5134g with the contemporary “3” & “9” arabic numerals
Old 20 October 2023, 01:54 PM   #12
bayareapanerai
"TRF" Member

I have the 5134g with breguet numerals, exactly the same as your picture. Beautiful watch, I love the breguet numerals. I also want to wear it more casually and just bought some casual straps from dlugs. The croc strap is a little too dressy for me.
bayareapanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:52 PM   #13
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Do it!

https://www.europeanwatch.com/watch/...num-49091.html
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:07 PM   #14
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
Soooo tempting!
I was set on the white gold model, mainly due to the price gap vs platinum.
And I think I prefer the dial (all Breguet numerals) of the gold models as well.
However, from what I understand platinum is more durable than gold. Is it more scratch resistant as well? Since this will be my main daily wearer, I'm thinking platinum may be the better option.
Old 20 October 2023, 10:05 PM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

If you a want a travel time Patek at 36-40mm there aren't many options. Apart from 5134 only 5164 and 7234 come to mind among modern Pateks with 5164 on the large side and a lot more expensive. Not a big fan of Patek's pilot line but I'd rather get a 7234 than 5134 which I find quite weird looking, especially for a first / only Patek. Much prefer its no-travel time sibling 5107. Of course looks are subjective, so go for it if you do like the design.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 11:57 PM   #16
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
If you a want a travel time Patek at 36-40mm there aren't many options. Apart from 5134 only 5164 and 7234 come to mind among modern Pateks with 5164 on the large side and a lot more expensive. Not a big fan of Patek's pilot line but I'd rather get a 7234 than 5134 which I find quite weird looking, especially for a first / only Patek. Much prefer its no-travel time sibling 5107. Of course looks are subjective, so go for it if you do like the design.

I really do dig the 7234 actually. But the 2 pushers on the left makes the watch look off and unbalanced. But since I prefer sportier looking watches, maybe I should spend a little more and go for it (or 5524).
Old 21 October 2023, 01:21 AM   #17
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshin525 View Post
Soooo tempting!
I was set on the white gold model, mainly due to the price gap vs platinum.
And I think I prefer the dial (all Breguet numerals) of the gold models as well.
However, from what I understand platinum is more durable than gold. Is it more scratch resistant as well? Since this will be my main daily wearer, I'm thinking platinum may be the better option.
I think platinum is far more special, but that is my personal preference. The semi-hidden diamond also is a nice touch in my opinion.

Platinum is harder than gold, and I do think it is more durable, but that answer gets more muddied when you consider the hardness of gold alloys.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 02:16 AM   #18
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

I believe white gold is harder and thus less scratch prone than platinum, no where near as heavy but harder due to the alloys added to make it white. Others with more knowledge please chime in. Platinum Mohs scale 40 v WG 35.
Old 21 October 2023, 03:40 AM   #19
kastor77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSB View Post
I believe white gold is harder and thus less scratch prone than platinum, no where near as heavy but harder due to the alloys added to make it white. Others with more knowledge please chime in. Platinum Mohs scale 40 v WG 35.

Confirmed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kastor77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 05:47 AM   #20
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

I think I got the Mohs Scale reference wrong. They are 4.0 and 3.5 but my chart doesn't account for purity of WG so not a good source.