The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 February 2018, 10:59 AM   #1
eus6267
"TRF" Member

Selling restrictions by AD

So I have been hunting lately for a couple of pieces that are very hard to find! However, I have been told by multiple ADs that they are not willing to ship out of state and one AD even told me that they would not sell it to me in-store because I am from "outside their market area." This AD had an in-depth phone conversation with me and said that Rolex may take away his AD status because he is selling to customers outside of his market area.

I don't understand this...
eus6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:10 AM   #2
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Lots of threads on similar experiences. Move on and try others.
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:13 AM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Stores can implement whatever store policies they want. Just look elsewhere.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #4
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
You’re only options is try other places or a grey dealer.

My guess is most ADs, if they only sold within their market area, wouldn’t sell enough Rolex’s so they resort to selling to grey dealers who in essence have a global market (and this after a great number of ads had their Rolex account pulled like my local ad). The ad makes their sale but it would appear Rolex isn’t having this anymore.

Demand is high, but overall Swiss watch sales are down. People aren’t buying them...we are a unique group and most of us here have multiple Rolex’s and we probably only represent a couple percent of the total rolex buying market. My guess is your average city dweller is only going to buy one.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by eus6267 View Post
. . . This AD had an in-depth phone conversation with me and said that Rolex may take away his AD status because he is selling to customers outside of his market area.

AD's have been barred from phone sales, Rolex promotion sales, and Internet sales by contract for decades.

If you go into their store they will be happy to sell you a watch, no matter where you live.
Old 2 February 2018, 11:18 AM   #6
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I always say in these threads that you get more realistic treatment by showing up in person at a dealer versus a random phone call. Plenty of products have sales agreements with their dealers and I'm guessing RolexUSA frowns on what is essentially a "mail order" sale.
On the other hand I have been to many dealers around our state and country who would have been glad to sell me a watch face to face.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:36 AM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

ADs have to play it safe since you could have been a Rolex agent calling ADs to check on them

Quote:
So I have been hunting lately for a couple of pieces that are very hard to find! However, I have been told by multiple ADs that they are not willing to ship out of state and one AD even told me that they would not sell it to me in-store because I am from "outside their market area." This AD had an in-depth phone conversation with me and said that Rolex may take away his AD status because he is selling to customers outside of his market area.

oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:41 AM   #8
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Rolex does send mystery shoppers to all stores , this happens several times a year to check pricing, tactics, etc. Patek, on the other hand, has a unique approach:

Mystery shoppers are sent twice a year to ALL dealers and they actually BUY the timepieces. Dealer is evaluated on the overall experience, they have to meet a minimum. Grades include staff, inventory, display, location, sales experience between other things.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:47 AM   #9
eus6267
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

If you go into their store they will be happy to sell you a watch, no matter where you live.
But this is the irony...I called ahead for the watch I was looking and an AD about 100 miles away had it in stock. A sales lady told me so.

I was on my way driving to an AD and then the owner called me and said he would not sell to me. I literally had to turn around after driving about 50 miles, which was shocking to me.

The owner seemed like a great guy, but a crazy business practice IMO.
eus6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 11:53 AM   #10
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But this is the irony...I called ahead for the watch I was looking and an AD about 100 miles away had it in stock. A sales lady told me so.

I was on my way driving to an AD and then the owner called me and said he would not sell to me. I literally had to turn around after driving about 50 miles, which was shocking to me.

The owner seemed like a great guy, but a crazy business practice IMO.
That just means that there was somebody else that he wanted to sell it to more than he wanted to sell it to you. Heck, maybe he wanted to keep it for himself. Many ADs just make stuff up and hope we'll believe it.
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 12:41 PM   #11
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Locals only and people they know well only are common practice to avoid selling to flippers which is what ADs have been warned by Rolex not to do any more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:54 PM   #12
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
All you can really do is move on, keep hunting.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:

These ADs are behaving like they found cure for cancer
Its a watch, sell it to the customer and get on with life
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:14 PM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is really getting more redicous by the second!!
Next, ADs will require to see a CV and two letters of recommendation before considering taking our $$$$$
Old 2 February 2018, 04:36 PM   #15
LAREALTOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43, YM2
I was in at my LA AD today whom I’ve developed a wonderful relationship with. Bought my first 3 pieces ever over the last 6 months and got a great discount on a 116613LB and a YM2 SS...then sold me SD43. I was intoday to chat and have a resizing done. He basically broke it down to me...

He is a store manager and has a lot of discretion but he has to run “relationship” pieces by the owner. JC, SkyD SS Blue, SD43, Panda, and Hulk will NEVER see a showroom case. He basically told the owner he was willing me the SD43 ahead if others because if my recent frequeny in purchase and the type. I wasn’t just buying “candy” like a stainless sub, etc but some varied and significant pieces. I also learned I have been moved up for two more very difficult to get pieces. Where some are waiting 3-5yrs my relationship and purchase history puts me in 6-12mos in one if the biggest Rolex markets.

All this to say every AD in each market has differnt allitments and different clientele and have latitude in how they manage the demand pieces for their own strategic purposes.

It’s part of the beauty of the Rolex. You can’t just walk in and buy many professional pieces off the street. I wa still even if they made it I the case for show they would turn down some people while shopping them to their cultivated clientele.
LAREALTOR is offline   Reply With Quote