The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #31
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
I am gone this has been the theme with Rolex for a long time, no? I’m fairly new to collecting but the wait lists and all these hoops is a major turn off. Unfortunately I do really like their pieces above all other, so kinda stuck!
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #32
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
*sure (darn auto text)
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:56 AM   #33
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
Doesn’t that back up my initial assumption?

You’ve spent $30K in the past few months from a single AD & you’re nowhere near owning the watch you want, despite attempting to build a relationship.

Like I said, if you’re okay waiting, you don’t need to spend money or build a relationship with an AD, just go in and ask and when Rolex get their act together, you’ll have the watch you want.
so many factors at play. I asked to be placed on list the day of Basel release of sky dweller. I had bought other jewelry at AD (engagement ring) and got the 2nd blue dial they got in mid September... so that AD relationship does work it just depends on the AD I guess.
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:41 AM   #34
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
My experience (So far) has shown there's no need to establish a relationship with an AD or spend money there.

Just find you most local AD, call for an appointment and then go in there and if you're lucky enough to actually try some models on, just say what you're interested in and I'm sure they'll put you on a waiting list.

Went into my first ever Rolex dealer last summer and told them Ive never done this before but I'm very interested in a Black Submariner or Submariner Date in Steel. They said they did not have those exact Sub's in stock but allowed me to see and try on a BLNR, Green Sub and Daytona. After trying them on, I asked if I can be put on the list but it would be 1 year before I could afford it, they said that's fine as their waiting list is approaching a year!

Just over 6 months left and have had a pleasant experience so far, although the wait is silly and something Rolex really need to sort out! But I found being honest with an AD got me everywhere and it's why I don't believe people here when they say you have to buy stuff to get on a waiting list. I feel it's just them projecting that their relationship with an AD is special, when it's really not.

But I can imagine loyal customers get to jump to the top of various waiting lists, but if you're not bothered about a time, just put your feet up and look forward to it!
I’d be shocked (even more bc you’re in UK and I hear it’s much worse over there) if you get a Daytona in 6 months.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:58 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you must have blue you may have to wait or pay well over msrp. Truth is finding a good AD is tough unless you buy a lot of watches or know someone.
Old 1 February 2018, 11:48 AM   #36
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Lots of good comments regarding the AD approach, You can always go the Trusted Seller route — I think Thanh (Takuya) has a couple BNIB for just a little over what you’d pay retail (with tax).....my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:01 PM   #37
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Doesn’t that back up my initial assumption?

You’ve spent $30K in the past few months from a single AD & you’re nowhere near owning the watch you want, despite attempting to build a relationship.

Like I said, if you’re okay waiting, you don’t need to spend money or build a relationship with an AD, just go in and ask and when Rolex get their act together, you’ll have the watch you want.
I guess you can rank customers in three levels

1- the high rollers or ones with great relationship with their AD and those get anything they want when they want it

2- second level are those who established a relashi ship but don’t escalate to level one. They can get the BLNR, HULK, JC.....etc but not the ss Daytona or sky dwellers

3- the one who wait! And they can only get DJ or if lucky get a piece that was offered for o one of the two above levels and didn’t find takers

Might be pessimistic but that’s been my experience. Establishing a relashinship got me the subC, hulk, blnr, JC with real nice discounts but I guess I’m not at the ss Daytona and skyD level yet
Old 2 February 2018, 05:11 AM   #38
RPC19
"TRF" Member

As a follow up, appears that most ADs in the tri-state area aren't willing to put a new potential customer on their wait lists :/.

Will likely try ADs in some distant states next. If that fails, I've had my eye on a couple other models. Would likely try to zero in on a helpful AD and began a relationship.
RPC19 is offline   Reply With Quote