The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 February 2022, 02:40 AM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Selling my AT for a Speedy Pro: Thoughts?

Hi all, so it seems I have a bit of a love hate relationship with my midsize (36mm) AT. Sometimes I enjoy wearing it, but I can honestly say I haven't really bonded with it the way I have with some of my other watches I own. Maybe it's just not for me, plain and simple. I have debated trading it in or selling it to put some proceeds towards a Speedy Pro (been looking at a 2019 model). What holds me back from a speedy pro is the size. I have always liked the look, but when I tried one on (one of the newer models) on a strap, it felt quite large on my roughly 6 inch wrist. Thoughts? Would this be a bad move?

Here is the Speedy I am looking at currently:

https://www.europeanwatch.com/watch/...lac-40356.html
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 02:45 AM   #2
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
I think you'd be trading one watch you're not bonding with for another you won't bond with cause of the size. I would wait til you find the right watch for you and sell the AT for that.
Old 9 February 2022, 04:41 AM   #3
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
when I tried one on (one of the newer models) on a strap, it felt quite large on my roughly 6 inch wrist.[/url]
Probably it is, you have answered your question.
I think you should try one on Nato straps, for my eyes is easier on the wrist.

you should also try the 39,5mm Omega PO might suit better your wrist
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 04:46 AM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I agree with the guys above. Maybe try and find a speedy reduced if it’s a chrono you are looking for. Alternatively the omega trilogy models are sized in between and a great choice if you can find one cheap enough.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 05:24 AM   #5
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

get a First Omega in Space. 39mm perfect size
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:40 AM   #6
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromosome View Post
get a First Omega in Space. 39mm perfect size
This is probably the solution. However, I have the PO 39.5 also mentioned above and it fits my VERY small wrist well. AND, to throw another option out, there is a Speedy Racing 40mm. You could look at the all black dial version. I own the reverse panda and it’s probably my favorite chrono on the market!
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 11:07 AM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Sure, I would make that swap. Life is short, and the Speedmaster Pro is a dynamite watch. I say go for it.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 11:43 AM   #8
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
I think you'd be trading one watch you're not bonding with for another you won't bond with cause of the size. I would wait til you find the right watch for you and sell the AT for that.
+1 It's too bad that you haven't bonded with the AT -- it is a good size for your wrist. The Speedy, sadly, would likely feel too big for your wrist IMO. Have you considered a Speedy Reduced (or any of the <40 mm Speedy Automatics)? Perfect proportions.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 01:14 PM   #9
TDS
"TRF" Member

My wrist is 6.5” and I love my new Speedy - 21 model. I say go for it and I bet the size won’t be as much of an issue as you think it will be…
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 02:01 PM   #10
David5807
"TRF" Member

I say go for it and make the trade.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 09:48 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The adjustment in the bracelet for your wrist and a few leather and NATO straps should take care of it. The Speedmaster in 42 mm wears small in comparison to some other 42 mm models on the market. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 11:22 PM   #12
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

I cannot comment on the trade. EWC’s price seems exorbitant for an 1861 though. You can find a 3861 for a few hundred more if you look around.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:51 AM   #13
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice thus far folks. Still debating on what to do. Starting to lean towards keeping the AT..at least for now. Oddly enough I worry about having some seller's remorse down the line if I let it go, as it seems to be getting harder to find automatic 36mm ATs.

I would hate to make the trade, get the Pro and end up flipping it because the size doesn't work for me. Then I would be out two watches. I've also considered the Speedy date (7750 based) with the black dial and black bezel, but worry that it would leave me wanting the Pro in the end. Decisions... Decisions lol.
Old 10 February 2022, 10:11 PM   #14
1William

Quote:
Thanks for the advice thus far folks. Still debating on what to do. Starting to lean towards keeping the AT..at least for now. Oddly enough I worry about having some seller's remorse down the line if I let it go, as it seems to be getting harder to find automatic 36mm ATs.

I would hate to make the trade, get the Pro and end up flipping it because the size doesn't work for me. Then I would be out two watches. I've also considered the Speedy date (7750 based) with the black dial and black bezel, but worry that it would leave me wanting the Pro in the end. Decisions... Decisions lol.
If you can swing it why not find the Speedmaster you want and make the purchase and see how you like it. The AT will either fall by the side or will remain and you will know. If you shop around on the Speedmaster you should not have an issue on a flip later on. You will lose a little but not a lot. I get sellers remorse but there are plenty of watches in the market both new and pre-owned so if a purchase without a sell is not in the card go forward and get the Speedy. Get it sized and start wearing it. You will just need to get use to it. Don't let possible regret on something you have not done yet drive your purchases. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11 February 2022, 03:29 AM   #15
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
If you can swing it why not find the Speedmaster you want and make the purchase and see how you like it. The AT will either fall by the side or will remain and you will know. If you shop around on the Speedmaster you should not have an issue on a flip later on. You will lose a little but not a lot. I get sellers remorse but there are plenty of watches in the market both new and pre-owned so if a purchase without a sell is not in the card go forward and get the Speedy. Get it sized and start wearing it. You will just need to get use to it. Don't let possible regret on something you have not done yet drive your purchases. Good luck and keep us posted.
A relatively local AD to me has an 1861 Speedy for sale (pre owned obviously), so might go and just try it on to see how it feels. The 3861 I tried on I did very quickly and didn't really pay attention to how it really felt, so may be a good idea.
Old 11 February 2022, 10:04 PM   #16
1William

Quote:
A relatively local AD to me has an 1861 Speedy for sale (pre owned obviously), so might go and just try it on to see how it feels. The 3861 I tried on I did very quickly and didn't really pay attention to how it really felt, so may be a good idea.
I wear my 1861 significantly more than my 3861. I don't know if it is just older and I don't mind the strap changes and bracelet additions but it is great. If you can get a fair deal on the 1861 I would go for it. Great watch and the prices are moving up on them. This would give you a nice two watch Omega rotation. Let us know what you do and how the 1861 fits when you see it.
Old 11 February 2022, 10:34 PM   #17
aseksr
"TRF" Member

I would go for the 3861, if you can get it cheaper than the pre owned 1861. I think there’s still deals out there to be had with the 3861. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aseksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:12 AM   #18
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wear my 1861 significantly more than my 3861. I don't know if it is just older and I don't mind the strap changes and bracelet additions but it is great. If you can get a fair deal on the 1861 I would go for it. Great watch and the prices are moving up on them. This would give you a nice two watch Omega rotation. Let us know what you do and how the 1861 fits when you see it.
Personally, especially after seeing the 3861 in person, I feel that I prefer the look of the 1861. At this point, I have decided to hang on to the AT 36, at least for now, as there are attributes, I like about it, specifically the size, which works like a dream on my wrist. That said, I definitely haven't written off adding a 1861 to the rotation. I must say, I do love a good bracelet, but I know the 1861 bracelet would look awfully silly on my 6 inch wrist, so the Speedy would prob live on a nato if I had it.
Old 26 February 2022, 01:33 AM   #19
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Look at the 3935.50...or is it 3539.50??, a 39mm Speedmaster Reduced. It's an auto but at least it doesn't have that unsightly date window.

Don't force a full size Speedmaster Pro on your smallish wrist. People will say it's fine but trust me, it will be "clown shoes" too big.
Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 06:51 AM   #20
MrSBU
"TRF" Member

I too think you should consider a Reduced. However, I often see folks trading their Reduced to ‘the real thing’ after some time.

Maybe an alternative chronograph is a better option?
MrSBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 06:56 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I always recommend adding before selling if at all possible
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 09:11 AM   #22
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Selling my AT for a Speedy Pro: Thoughts?

Quote:

The stubby case of the 3861 and the stepped dial makes the watch look unbalanced to me. Combined with the 3861 movement teething issues there is a reason why the 1861 is appreciating and will eventually be more sort after than the coaxial version.

I had a choice of buying either, brand new and chose the 1861 at nearly $2k less in early 2021. Now they are valued about the same.IMG_2001.jpg
3FE1BD78-907F-4A20-80D8-838E6596E1E2.jpg
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2022, 09:59 PM   #23
1William

Great pictures of a very cool watch.