The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 24 February 2010, 07:09 AM   #31
WatchForLife

Watch: 116710LN
Paper quality - topic not much discussed

I have a MB Meisterstuck roller ball pen (recent purchase) and wasn't quite satisfied how it wrote on paper... ink trace was not solid and clear as I had expected, it also felt a little heavy to move the ball across paper. I then started experimenting with different paper weights and surface qualities... big differences ! For a ball point the best paper is smooth (silky) surface and slightly thicker paper. Moleskine ruled large notebook writing feel with BP is good but not perfect since the paper surface is not as smooth as it could be. The paper thickness in this Moleskine model is also quite thin. I have no experience writing with FP or RB on the Moleskine paper.
WatchForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 08:15 AM   #32
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Love the Moleskine's for their quality, affordability and portability. I always have one with me these days.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 02:39 AM   #33
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I agree, I really enjoy the Moleskine note books and carry one with me everyday. Will have to look into getting a leather cover for it though, thanx for all the web sites to go looking!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 08:44 AM   #34
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I rather like Moleskine, and need to try others. Thanks for posting all the recommendations!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 10:38 AM   #35
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Now I'm somewhat concerned, and a bit dismayed. I didn't realize this had happened... I don't mind where a product is produced, as long as it maintains the qualities for which I chose in the first place.

I am a few pages in to my next to last book from a case lot. I have one shrink wrapped book remaining. I'm wondering if I am going to have to start looking all over again...

Ian, thanks for the heads up.
No worries Jim, it really saddens me as I love Moleskin, I love the size and the colour of paper used. I write a huge amount each day and all of it with fountain pen and so consitancy is really important. I really hope they sort out their QC. Like you I am not too concerend where the product is made as long as consistant quality is maintained!

From what I have heard it really is hit and miss and my example proves the point.

I have written to Moleskin about this but have yet to hear back!

I like Clairefontaine for it's consistancy but I really do not like writing on bright white paper as I find it tiring after a while.

I am planning to get another Moleskin this week to have another go, I will report my findings!

Of course all of this is irrelevant if one writes with ball point!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 01:26 PM   #36
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambaby View Post
Richard, I cannot ask for more! A Montblanc pen, a Rolex GMT watch and one of the kindest person on TRF in one picture
Sheesh!!

I am blushing...!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 01:27 PM   #37
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore View Post
I see you use squared paper Richard! There is something to be said about people that use squared paper, but I don't know exactly what that is. In all seriousness though, a few very bright minded people that I know, strictly use squared paper. I have to say that I think that squared is beginning to grow on me. Looks to be much more relaxed to write on instead of having to keep within the straight lines.

-Frankie
Frankie,

Squared paper............! What can I say?

I rarely use any other kind. I don't know why and have never wondered WHY until tonight.

I suppose I have something more to contemplate besides my navel.
Old 3 March 2010, 01:39 PM   #38
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
No worries Jim, it really saddens me as I love Moleskin, I love the size and the colour of paper used. I write a huge amount each day and all of it with fountain pen and so consitancy is really important. I really hope they sort out their QC. Like you I am not too concerend where the product is made as long as consistant quality is maintained!

From what I have heard it really is hit and miss and my example proves the point.

I have written to Moleskin about this but have yet to hear back!

I like Clairefontaine for it's consistancy but I really do not like writing on bright white paper as I find it tiring after a while.

I am planning to get another Moleskin this week to have another go, I will report my findings!

Of course all of this is irrelevant if one writes with ball point!
I purchase Moleskine's by the dozen. I haven't noticed any variation in the quality of paper they use, but will certainly keep my eye on it now.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 3 March 2010, 02:13 PM   #39
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I purchase Moleskine's by the dozen. I haven't noticed any variation in the quality of paper they use, but will certainly keep my eye on it now.

Thanks for the heads up!
No worries Richard. As I said I am going to get another moleskine this week, especially from reading yours and everyone elses positive experiences with the new stuff, let's just hope my instance was just a blip!

Though I did mention it at my pen club meeting and they were reporting similar happenings to mine!
Old 3 March 2010, 02:31 PM   #40
shandy
Banned

Just saw this review on youtube and this was my experience with the Moleskine, I think he offers a valid reason for the variation. What do you think guy's?

http://www.youtube.com/user/theinkno.../1/qToL8p9T2lM

He does some useful reviews of paper I think!
Old 3 March 2010, 03:03 PM   #41
B Square
"TRF" Member

Richard, specifically which moleskine and RA do you have? I like that combo
Boyd
B Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 03:06 PM   #42
B Square
"TRF" Member

One more question. Where's the best place to order Moleskine from?
Boyd
B Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 03:53 PM   #43
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Just saw this review on youtube and this was my experience with the Moleskine, I think he offers a valid reason for the variation. What do you think guy's?

http://www.youtube.com/user/theinkno.../1/qToL8p9T2lM

He does some useful reviews of paper I think!
Ian, that is certainly an interesting and compelling point. I've not experienced that issue (yet, and hope I don't) but I would like to try one of the Rhodia's for comparison. I know of no one here in Anchorage that carries them, unlike a couple of bookstores that do carry the two flavors of Moleskine books I have been using.

I've grown used to the paper, both color and texture of the Moleskine. The Rhodia doesn't appear that much brighter, but it's really difficult to tell. I also tend to write small (and print 98% of the time) so I do like the rule spacing of the Moleskine. It appears the ruled version in the video might have a slightly wider spacing.

But in any event, thank you for sharing. I didn't realize the feathering, or worse, the bleed through was as bad as shown in this example.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2010, 04:21 PM   #44
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Ian, that is certainly an interesting and compelling point. I've not experienced that issue (yet, and hope I don't) but I would like to try one of the Rhodia's for comparison. I know of no one here in Anchorage that carries them, unlike a couple of bookstores that do carry the two flavors of Moleskine books I have been using.

I've grown used to the paper, both color and texture of the Moleskine. The Rhodia doesn't appear that much brighter, but it's really difficult to tell. I also tend to write small (and print 98% of the time) so I do like the rule spacing of the Moleskine. It appears the ruled version in the video might have a slightly wider spacing.

But in any event, thank you for sharing. I didn't realize the feathering, or worse, the bleed through was as bad as shown in this example.
Thanks Jim, Sadly for me this is exactly what I have experienced. I really like the way clairefontaine writes but I just wish they would make it the same colour as Moleskine as it is so white it really is tiring on the eyes. I love Moleskine and have used them for years but with the experiences I have had and they are not cheap it is not worth the risk. Having said that I am encouraged by yours and Richards experiences so will give it a go again!
Old 9 March 2010, 05:08 PM   #45
JimC
"TRF" Member

Ian, I can now understand... I received a "new" pen today. It's a 1964 Pilot/Namiki Capless, or Vanishing Point. It has an extra fine nib, compared to my more recent vintage fine point, set up for a light to medium ink flow.

I tested the "new" pen by writing on a full page of 8.5 x 11 paper. While the EF nib seemed a bit "scratchy" what I did notice was it seemed to lay down more ink than my FP Namiki.

I then opened my current Moleskine notebook. I 'printed' a few lines with the new 1964 pen. Much to my dismay, the wetter line not only showed the feathering, but also considerable echo. I suppose I have been buffered by the excellent nib I use every day.

I think I will have to try a Rhodia, or other Clairefontaine paper now. I really like the 1964 vintage pen, but I can't use it as my daily writer with the Moleskine.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
Old 10 March 2010, 05:51 AM   #46
JBat
"TRF" Member

That's a great and revealing video, Ian. I take a Moleskine (Mole-skeen-ay?! ) with me everywhere because they are so portable, but I use a Pilot Gel pen with it because my MB Chopin feathers and bleeds through so badly. It really looks terrible. I understand different inks can also affect this, but I haven't gone that route yet.

Thanks for posting that! I've learned a ton about FP's (and now paper) from this forum.
Old 10 March 2010, 06:57 AM   #47
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Square View Post
One more question. Where's the best place to order Moleskine from?
Boyd
You can buy at any Barnes & Noble.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 01:50 AM   #48
WatchForLife

Moleskine paper weights

I checked this with Moleskine and here's what they responded:

"In the Large Ruled Moleskine Notebook the paper weight is 80 gsm and it is acid free while in the A4 Ruled Moleskine Notebook the paper weight is 100 gsm and it is FSC. The paper have been treated with different treatements but are very similar."

Perhaps the A4 paper size at 100 gsm would not have the bleed through issue as is the case with the large notebook at 80 gsm.

Is there feathering and bleed through issues with roller ball pens as well ?
Old 11 March 2010, 02:33 AM   #49
JBat
"TRF" Member

I've never noticed it with rollerball pens.
Old 11 March 2010, 03:01 AM   #50
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Ian, I can now understand... I received a "new" pen today. It's a 1964 Pilot/Namiki Capless, or Vanishing Point. It has an extra fine nib, compared to my more recent vintage fine point, set up for a light to medium ink flow.

I tested the "new" pen by writing on a full page of 8.5 x 11 paper. While the EF nib seemed a bit "scratchy" what I did notice was it seemed to lay down more ink than my FP Namiki.

I then opened my current Moleskine notebook. I 'printed' a few lines with the new 1964 pen. Much to my dismay, the wetter line not only showed the feathering, but also considerable echo. I suppose I have been buffered by the excellent nib I use every day.

I think I will have to try a Rhodia, or other Clairefontaine paper now. I really like the 1964 vintage pen, but I can't use it as my daily writer with the Moleskine.
This is the problem I have been having Jim. I do like a wetter nib as a personal preference. Some nibs write drier than others and I guess what you have been using has been less copious with ink flow. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the clairefontaine paper. I love it apart from as I have said in the past, it's bright white glow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
That's a great and revealing video, Ian. I take a Moleskine (Mole-skeen-ay?! ) with me everywhere because they are so portable, but I use a Pilot Gel pen with it because my MB Chopin feathers and bleeds through so badly. It really looks terrible. I understand different inks can also affect this, but I haven't gone that route yet.

Thanks for posting that! I've learned a ton about FP's (and now paper) from this forum.
Thanks John! I am going to do a test later today or tomorrow as I have just found in the back of a cupboard a lined Brown soft covered Moleskine journal (I think it is the type that comes in sets of three!) so am going to do a comparison with different nibs and the MB Bordeaux ink that I have just got and we will see what it all looks like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchForLife View Post
I checked this with Moleskine and here's what they responded:

"In the Large Ruled Moleskine Notebook the paper weight is 80 gsm and it is acid free while in the A4 Ruled Moleskine Notebook the paper weight is 100 gsm and it is FSC. The paper have been treated with different treatements but are very similar."

Perhaps the A4 paper size at 100 gsm would not have the bleed through issue as is the case with the large notebook at 80 gsm.

Is there feathering and bleed through issues with roller ball pens as well ?
This is really interesting information, thank you for sharing it I have just dug out an A4 (I think it is that size!) and will give it a go!
Old 11 March 2010, 03:36 AM   #51
WatchForLife

Quote:
This is really interesting information, thank you for sharing it I have just dug out an A4 (I think it is that size!) and will give it a go!
Ian, the A4 size Moleskine is called Folio Book. Let me know how it performs with FP as well as RB if you have one. Thanks !
Old 11 March 2010, 07:59 AM   #52
Lol-x
Facilitator

Guys have you seen this really cool note book called "Note Book"??

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 08:16 AM   #53
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchForLife View Post
Ian, the A4 size Moleskine is called Folio Book. Let me know how it performs with FP as well as RB if you have one. Thanks !
Thanks Timo, that looks a similar size the the clairfontaine I use now, I have not see that size Moleskine here yet but will keep my eye out for it, the one I am going to demo is this one.
http://www.moleskines.com/klmc710.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Guys have you seen this really cool note book called "Note Book"??
No I have not Steve, have you got a link?
Old 11 March 2010, 10:25 AM   #54
Lol-x
Facilitator

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...on=Popup&ino=7

Sorry I meant 'field notes'.

Although the links are to the U.K. the note books are actually manufactured in the USA.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 10:28 AM   #55
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Thanks Steve, those remind me of childhood growing up in the UK!
Old 11 March 2010, 11:20 AM   #56
JimC
"TRF" Member

There is a current thread about Field Notes over on FPN as well...

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...0-field-notes/

16610 Sub (Z serial)