The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2018, 02:39 AM   #1
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

watch runs fast 1 day then normal then slow

hey guys is it normal that my watch runs slow one day about 3 seconds then for the next couple days it runs fast 3 seconds so it catches up to the original time, and then couple days later the watch runs fast about 3 seconds?
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Burlington
"TRF" Member

How do you leave the watch to rest overnight ? This can alter the time keeping by that sort of margin.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 09:09 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

As above, check time against time.is before taking it off. Note the difference, then do the same again next morning.
Keep the watch positioned the same each time, and if it’s consistent, then nothing to be concerned over. If the offset varies, and presuming the state of wind of the mainspring is much the same, then it’s a sign that something isn’t right, which a clean & fresh lubratives will put right.
If this is a brand new watch, then it shouldn’t be a lube deterioration issue, but over oiled/assembly problem, resolved under warranty.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 09:22 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I would just stop worrying over 3 seconds fast or slow and enjoy the watch.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Gh0st0
"TRF" Member

If it’s that much worry, take it to an AD and get it looked at.
Gh0st0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:36 AM   #6
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
This. As long as it's reasonably accurate, who cares? It's not as though everyone arrives to meetings, goes to work, leaves work, etc. etc. etc. at precisely aligned down to the second intervals...don't understand the obsession with this.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
This. As long as it's reasonably accurate, who cares? It's not as though everyone arrives to meetings, goes to work, leaves work, etc. etc. etc. at precisely aligned down to the second intervals...don't understand the obsession with this.

I would say you’ve never visited Germany then. It’s not hyperbole to say things run to within a few seconds.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 15 October 2018, 06:14 AM   #8
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
As above, check time against time.is before taking it off. Note the difference, then do the same again next morning.
Keep the watch positioned the same each time, and if it’s consistent, then nothing to be concerned over. If the offset varies, and presuming the state of wind of the mainspring is much the same, then it’s a sign that something isn’t right, which a clean & fresh lubratives will put right.
If this is a brand new watch, then it shouldn’t be a lube deterioration issue, but over oiled/assembly problem, resolved under warranty.

Thanks ill try out this method.

Im just new to automatic watches so i want to just understand why one day its fast the other slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #9
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjoo7 View Post

Im just new to automatic watches so i want to just understand why one day its fast the other slow

If you find it’s to do with the orientation of the crown then it’s down to the effects of gravity on the movement, the balance wheel in particular I believe. This is what a tourbillon is designed to counteract.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 15 October 2018, 06:45 AM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I would say you’ve never visited Germany then. It’s not hyperbole to say things run to within a few seconds.
Well, if I need that level of accuracy I won't depend upon a mechanical, but fortunately I always carry a sync'd cell phone.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
watch runs fast 1 day then normal then slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjoo7 View Post

Variations in the position of the watch throughout the day (in motion and at rest) and the overall activity/motion of your arm that day will influence the accuracy of your watch. Also, how wound the watch is throughout the day will have an influence.

Gravity and spring tension will affect any mechanical watch, but some movements are built to be more accurate across those factors. Your AP is not known to be as accurate as an Omega or a Rolex, but +3/-3 is actually pretty good. I wouldn't sweat it.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 09:24 AM   #12
holdtime
Banned

Bipolar!
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:42 AM   #13
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post

Pretty much this! We are fortunate to be able to afford luxury watches, enjoy it and don’t sweat 3 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:47 PM   #14
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
Pretty much this! We are fortunate to be able to afford luxury watches, enjoy it and don’t sweat 3 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True, im not sweating it honestly i just want to know what im wearing. Doesnt hurt to understand how watches work!

Old 16 October 2018, 07:48 PM   #15
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Variations in the position of the watch throughout the day (in motion and at rest) and the overall activity/motion of your arm that day will influence the accuracy of your watch. Also, how wound the watch is throughout the day will have an influence.

Gravity and spring tension will affect any mechanical watch, but some movements are built to be more accurate across those factors. Your AP is not known to be as accurate as an Omega or a Rolex, but +3/-3 is actually pretty good. I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks man its making sense to me now

Old 27 October 2018, 02:13 AM   #16
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

Ok so I experimented with your method. And i can say that your 100% correct. Depending on how the watch rests while im sleeping, the seconds will be +/-. I tested it out when the watch was parallel with the ground and my watch has been running spot on for a week.