The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex & Other Watch Links & Resources

Old 21 January 2014, 01:56 PM   #61
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I wasn't going to say anything unless someone else did, but I sent 4 watches to him end of January of last year. I asked how things were going in May and was told another week or so. Asked again in June, was told next week. Asked in July, then August when I was told 95% done. October, nothing. Last week, nothing.

So they've been gone almost a year now. No word for the past 6 months.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2014, 08:37 AM   #62
pivo

The last two comments are in line with my only two (phone) contacts with Rik: neither responsive nor sounding interested in my business. So I took it elsewhere.
pivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2014, 11:30 AM   #63
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
To Docar not sure what issue you had with your speedmaster but I believe that maybe it was the crystal issue which I addressed and as I said crystal replacement is up to the watchmaker and the owner and if you had wanted it replaced it would have been done when we initially talked about your watch. Not all crystals are replaced during a routine service especially on an obsolete watch. As I stated in my email if you want a crystal I would be more than happy to order one and install at whatever the cost is for such a crystal. I believe that was the only issue you mentioned in your letter. Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2014, 11:35 AM   #64
Rikki
TechXpert

Mikki I emailed you 2 weeks or so ago after you said that you might want to call it quits and asked to call and discuss sourcing parts for 80 plus year old watches is difficult at best and time consuming so it is done during down time which unfortunately hasnt been around lately seeing as all these parts have to be fit my hand no catalogues to just point and order a part. If you would like me to return them unfinished all you need to do is ask one is done the other needs one parts that I have just not been able to find so far so if you can wait I will continue to look if not I understand. Thanx Rik
Old 3 February 2014, 11:40 AM   #65
Rikki
TechXpert

Pivo I dont kow what watch you called about to have repaired but I dont fix all brands and I talk to 50 plus people a day so refresh my memory and if you have already had it fixed sorry about that. I do my best to be instructive and courteous when talking to customers but some watches can't be fixed or parts can not be sourced and some watches are meant to be worn and when they stop throw them away it's the world we live in. I don't work on Timex either does this make me a bad guy? Thanx Rik
Old 8 February 2014, 10:08 AM   #66
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know about the 3 previous comments, Ive sent dozens of watches to Rikki. All services done well with in reason of time and value. Ive nothing but good to say and have had nothing but great service. Great communication. All around nice guy and awesome watchmaker!
AJSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2014, 03:10 PM   #67
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Chicago

Hi, I would recommend 2 places in Chicago:

1) Sutter's Watch Repair, a Rolex Authorized Service Center

2) Fine Swiss Watch Repair, run by Kent, a Rolex Certified Watchmaker.

Both are great, but the advantage with Kent is that you can communicate with him directly. At RSCs, you never get to communicate directly with the technician or watchmaker.

Also, his pricing and turnaround is typically better than an RSC.

Hope this helps!
RolexJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2014, 10:18 AM   #68
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSM View Post
I don't know about the 3 previous comments, Ive sent dozens of watches to Rikki. All services done well with in reason of time and value. Ive nothing but good to say and have had nothing but great service. Great communication. All around nice guy and awesome watchmaker!
Agree with this 110% - he will be servicing another watch for me this week and I have already had three done by him.

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2014, 12:50 AM   #69
ralpie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Agree with this 110% - he will be servicing another watch for me this week and I have already had three done by him.
Sending one to Rik right now!
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 07:08 AM   #70
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Philadelphia, pa. Sam kalter

The one, the only, Sam Kalter, 127 South 7th Street. Philadelphia, Pa. 19106
Sam is Rolex Certified. He attended the Bowman School in Lancaster, Pa.(school now defunct sadly), and then was trained for an additional two years in Switzerland. He has been through the Rolex Factory in Switzerland many times, and through most of the major watch brand facilities. He's honest, and is highly qualified to work on (almost) any watch you have. His rates are fair and reasonable.

Tel. 215-629-1022

email: samkalter1@comcast.net
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 04:42 PM   #71
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Try this list

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...atch+repairers

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2015, 10:36 AM   #72
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff57 View Post

A short story that may help your readers
After being let down badly by a repairer in Orlando who had agreed to service and repair My Steel and Gold Submariner serti and my daughters Lady Datejust in quite a short space of time while we were on holiday from the UK ,I found via this forum Rik Dietel of Time Care inc. Seminole Fl .
I emailed Rik the day before we flew to ask if he could help with my problem , I had a very positive reply within the hour and arrangements were made to deliver the watches .To cut a very long story short due to Thanksgiving and holidays etc it left Rik only 7days to carry out the work !
We duly collected the watches from his Workshop on a Saturday morning 7days later !!! I cannot speak highly enough of Rik and his craftsmanship The attention to detail was exceptional both watches looked like they were new items !!! and a very very nice person as well with nothing being to much trouble . I have no problem with giving this glowing review to a proper craftsman who is 110% trustworthy . So remember the name Time Care inc Seminole Fl One last thing the price was great to.I hope this will be of help as trust worthy craftsmen are getting harder to find these days
Rik is awesome and I wish there were more out there like him. His work simply speaks for itself.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2016, 07:38 AM   #73
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
In the Toronto area I deal with Damiani Jewellery in Woodbridge. He is pricey but good. Both watchers know Rolex like the back of their hand.
madmax21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2016, 09:25 PM   #74
waitungh
"TRF" Member

Superlative Time UK

I can recommend Graham at Superlative Time in Ealing, London.

http://superlativetime.com/

Copied & pasted from post in General Forum:

Somehow the screw had gotten loose whilst I was washing my Datejust yesturday and some water got in, with condensation appearing on the glass.

Called up Graham at Superlative Time, who urged me to get it to him asap due to possible damage to the parts and dial. Luckily he is on my route to work and I so I arranged to visit him in his workshop the next day.

Right there and then, he removed the movement, and luckily nothing bad seemed to have happened. He invited me to watch as he removed the moisture, checked the case for water resistance and condensation, checked the movement and regulation, adjusted the beat error (it was 2.2ms out), before putting it back together giving me tips on how to adjust the bracelet so it remains tight.

During all this, we had a very nice chat about servicing, showing me the difference between old and new gaskets and the wear that happens to the pivots in a watch movement and why regular servicing is necessary to prevent having to replace parts.

He also asked a very reasonable fee for an hours work and overall I got a really good impression about someone who is personable, meticulous and takes real pride in his work.

He will certainly be getting my custom in the future.
waitungh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:37 PM   #75
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
This thread needs a really solid watchmaker in New York City!

Is there a trusted watchmaker in NYC someone could recommend?

And yes, I saw the Chinese speaking only rec, but surely there must be another option as well?
Another TRF'er tipped me off to someone I can highly recommend in NYC!

Henry at WatchMakingProject.com
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=495053
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:24 PM   #76
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I know some members may be looking for an independent in the NYC/ Northern Jersey area. I came across these guys http://www.shamifinewatchmaking.com
I had them put a cyclops on a Tudor and also a very light polish on one of my other watches. Prices were reasonable, nice location and they did a great job on both occasions.
Old 22 July 2017, 04:13 AM   #77
70Tudorsub
"TRF" Member

Watchmakers International

Definitely a +1 for Bob Ridley and his son, Phil, at watchmakers International. My '70's Tudor sub fell to a slate floor. I sent it to him a week ago, he had gotten back to me four biz days later and they were very interested in the watch and the work it needed. They differentiated between required vs. nice to have repairs and work and explained everything in as much detail as I wanted. They answer the phone and reply to emails within a day or two. I'll post before and after pics of the actual work b[/COLOR]ut so far I can't say enough good things. They will bring my beloved watch from my dad's Navy diving days back to life!
70Tudorsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 10:40 AM   #78
CBG1
"TRF" Member

Dredging up a post in this thread from 2008 (#3, below), I just called Dan at Jackson Square and had a pleasant conversation. I'll be bringing him my 16710 and a Cartier Tank for service.

Just bringing more awareness to this post and a peninsula / Bay Area watchmaker that may be an alternative to RSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Redwood City, CA

Jackson Square Jewelers
http://jacksonsquare.com/

Small, clean store with a large variety of high-end watches. Serviced my 1655 without a hitch. Orbita roadshow stops by every now and then.
CBG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 10:41 PM   #79
J. W. Hall
"TRF" Member

A few days ago I went to pick up my Air-King ref. 5500 from our local watchmaker, Leo Ruffinengo at Official Time Watch in Salt Lake City: http://www.officialtimewatch.com/. Leo is a brilliant technician who clearly loves watches and loves his craft and he does a magnificent job. I enthusiastically recommend him for service.

I had the watch in for a service. I recently acquired the watch and it wasn’t keeping time well. Leo diagnosed a broken balance staff and replaced it during the service. Now with a new balance staff, new mainspring, new gaskets (and new crystal) and cleaned and lubed, the watch runs like new.

Leo was very pleased with the amplitude he measured; among the measurements he noted were 251, 265, 277, 282 and pretty low beat errors, too.

Leo said he was particularly happy with that amplitude for a calibre 1520, which is not a certified movement, of course.

As I’ve been wearing it over the previous 72 hours, it is staying within seconds accuracy.

I have always loved the minimalist beauty of these Air-Kings, and I’m thrilled Leo got mine running so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J. W. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 04:46 AM   #80
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrh View Post
Any recommendations in the Boston area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Also interested in Massachusetts recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERnurse508 View Post
I third this..
The best I've found. He did a great job of servicing my 1803. He also did the bezel replacement on my DJII. A phone call is needed before visiting him.

Nicholas Trahadias

Precision Watch Works, LLC
333 Washington Steet, Suite 421A
Boston, MA 02108
P 617-447-2320
F 617-447-2321

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 04:46 PM   #81
rbob99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Portland, OR

Kelly Hunter (artofthewatch.com) is very good. Well trained in Rolex and Omega, he has also worked on my various and sundry vintage watches, including a 1938 Longines Majetek. He was formerly with Alex Watchworks in Portland but went out on his own a few years ago. I highly recommend him.
rbob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 03:13 AM   #82
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
In NJ I use Shami Fine Watchmaking. I work with the owner, Adam. Super nice guy. He's a good listener if you don't want things polished, etc... He inspect the watch while I wait and lets me know what's required. He'll only use genuine parts. Multi generation family run business. They opened up a brand new store which is very nice.

http://www.shamifinewatchmaking.com/

​372 Fairfield Rd
Fairfield, NJ 07004Tel.
(973) 785-0004
Fax (973) 785-0055

Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 9:30am-6pm
Friday- 2:30-7pm
Saturday- 9:30-6pm
Sunday- Closed
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #83
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
San Diego, CA

D‘s Time Service (2nd Floor)
861 Sixth Ave #219 San Diego, CA 92101
Tel. (619) 696-9464 Fax. (619) 696-9523 dstsvc@gmail.com

Owner: Tom Doan

100% Recommend Tom and his CW21 watch makers!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:14 AM   #84
Beo3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I used Mark Sirianni, The watch doctor, from Kane, PA to service my vintage Seamaster. Beautiful work, great communications and quick turn around time. When needed, I will use him to service my Rolex's.

www.watchdoctor.biz
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:06 AM   #85
jhynesrockmtn
"TRF" Member

Hi, new member here with a 16613 that is original to me that has never been serviced and not worn for several years. I've been through this recommendation thread and didn't see any recent PNW recommended watchmakers. Apologize if I missed one. My local dealer in Spokane would ship it out. Any recommendations in the PNW - Seattle, Portland, Spokane, coeur d'alene Idaho? Would prefer not to mail my watch.
jhynesrockmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 02:34 AM   #86
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nesbit's is a good shop and been in business in the Seattle area for decades.
Old 4 March 2019, 03:02 AM   #87
jhynesrockmtn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Nesbit's is a good shop and been in business in the Seattle area for decades.
Thanks very much for the reply! I'll be visiting them next time in Seattle!
jhynesrockmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 05:26 AM   #88
Trench Watch Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Ohio members: The Watch Tech (You'll have to Google it, I can't post links yet)

Matt does great work and his rates are reasonable.
Trench Watch Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 02:30 AM   #89
jrocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Who to use

I need service on my 1600. I’m down to Bob Ridley, or D’s Time Service. Opinions?
jrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 09:56 AM   #90
dgdjr
"TRF" Member

Hello jrocks

You might consider Phillip Ridley - "Ridley Watchmakers" . He has branched out and has his own shop now. I am up the road from him and deal with him regularly. I have known his family for years trust his work completely. Priced fairly as well.

Don Duffee
dgdjr is offline   Reply With Quote