The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2023, 09:17 PM   #31
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
How can you of failed to be impressed by the museum- was it shut?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. We had several hours in there and I feel like I barely touched the surface.

Then again our tour guide was a PhD historian who was awesome and very helpful in explaining the exhibits.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2023, 10:53 PM   #32
DonLee
"TRF" Member

wow, congrats man on the approval. Though it's a long wait, but it'll be wonderful!
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2023, 11:11 PM   #33
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
wow, congrats man on the approval. Though it's a long wait, but it'll be wonderful!
Not yet mate. I haven't decided yet and will use my coming trip to see the MR in person.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 12:21 AM   #34
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine just visited the new factory tour in late May 2023. Around 10 couples were invited from the same boutique in my local area. Air ticket and transportation between point to point are perfectly arranged with a 3 night stay at the four seasons hotel in geneva. Private dinner with Stern. At the end of the trip, boutique asked each couple to put down the 3 pieces they want the most. Can be 5980/1400g, 5990/1400g or minute repeater pieces (entry level most likely) and Geneva will have a look at them and fulfill their wishes.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 12:27 AM   #35
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

For a super VIP treatment, my German friend who owned 6002r and 6300g got picked up at the Munich airport by private jet sent from Patek and fly over to have a dinner with MR. It's beyond imagination and totally out of this world. What an experience.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 12:59 AM   #36
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Your AD needs to have it set up. We had one younger couple on our tour where the guy just had something like a 5960 and that’s it. I don’t think they even had a lot of jewelry or anything. On the opposite end we had a bunch of big ballers and at least one huge collector with maybe 20 pieces including GCs, he got a unique piece rare handcraft from the NYC show.
I read here that a person bought either a 5320 or 5172 and got a paid visit to the museum as part of the deal. That was probably from 2 years ago.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 01:00 AM   #37
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Yeah we had to write pieces down, I wrote the 5711R, 5124G, and I don’t remember the last one. I ended up buying a 5116R, 5960/1A, 5212, and a 5712/1A after the trip.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 01:07 AM   #38
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Congratulations for taking the plunge. Keep us posted. Which reference are you looking into?

The 5078 was my dream watch. I am sad that it is not available anymore. But when I inquired about an application with my AD, he said he would guide me through the process but it would be a long process. The “regular” pieces do not seem to count much and multiple GCs at the 5270 plus level will be needed. I gave up at that point because one will need to spend close to a million at least when all is said and done. The 5078 is selling in secondary at discount to SRP which is tempting but my wife is against not getting from AD so it is a no go for me.
Old 3 July 2023, 01:21 AM   #39
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Congratulations for taking the plunge. Keep us posted. Which reference are you looking into?

The 5078 was my dream watch. I am sad that it is not available anymore. But when I inquired about an application with my AD, he said he would guide me through the process but it would be a long process. The “regular” pieces do not seem to count much and multiple GCs at the 5270 plus level will be needed. I gave up at that point because one will need to spend close to a million at least when all is said and done. The 5078 is selling in secondary at discount to SRP which is tempting but my wife is against not getting from AD so it is a no go for me.
I haven't decided on which model hence the trip will help me better with my choice. I have liaised with Roberto at the Salon to let me handle a few models during my visit. Will be fun.
Old 3 July 2023, 01:29 AM   #40
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I haven't decided on which model hence the trip will help me better with my choice. I have liaised with Roberto at the Salon to let me handle a few models during my visit. Will be fun.

That will be exciting as it is probably the only place you can handle most if not all of the MRs.

Looks like you already have the next 10 years planned.
Old 3 July 2023, 02:16 AM   #41
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We had Roberto on our visit to the Salon in March during Watches and Wonders and were able to try on the entire line of Aquanauts in order to better decide which one to request from our home salon.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 03:34 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
After reading this thankfully relatively new minute repeaters come on the used market from time to time. If you want one and prefer to skip the 10-watch buying experience at an AD, the MR is then actually free in a sense.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 03:50 AM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I went to the Saloon not too long ago and was really disappointed. The reception was very very very cold. I got to do tons of tours in many different manufactures and independents but not Patek. I also went to the museum and wasn’t impressed. In the SA own words, the Saloon is like any other AD, they get allocated certain pieces every year and they sell it to their locals and perhaps other VVIP that have had profile over the years. The only benefit to visiting the Saloon is you can try any piece. But that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it’s because you are mistaken the SALON for a place where you can drink whiskey and hang out with cowboys aka a saloon ;) JK

I think it like any other place, the people make all the difference. I’m a nobody with my three pateks and got a VIP like treatment - great chat about watches with my SA. Super friendly and he brought out the plenty of grand comps / MR and I got to hang out in the room with the fountain view.
My museum tour was free and organized by my AD and I had an individual tour guide. Even my mom and wife loved it.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 03:20 PM   #44
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
My AD said the applicant needs to have at least 10 pieces including at least 1 grand complication and at least a 3 year history with the same AD. Not all minute repeaters are approved by Patek. Waiting lists are 'closed' for pieces like 5531G, 6301P, 6002R, Grand master chime and possibly for 5316/50P, 5374/300P.
I just had a conversation with a senior guy at my AD and your description above is almost consistent with what he told me. 10 Patek and at least 1 GC are the minimum requirements for a basic MR. For the more complex MR like 6002, 6300 and 6301, the applicant needs to own at least 1 basic MR first.
Old 3 July 2023, 04:06 PM   #45
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Ideally, Patek wants you own a perpetual, perpetual chrono, celestial/or split second, before applying for a minute repeater.
tru dat.
I have two MR approved
usually your AD "knows" if you will get approved or not b4 he applies on your behalf
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 04:46 PM   #46
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
tru dat.
I have two MR approved
usually your AD "knows" if you will get approved or not b4 he applies on your behalf
Nice
Which 2 MR do you own please? How was your journey before you got the 1st?
Old 3 July 2023, 06:38 PM   #47
Mini2
"TRF" Member

5316p I would love
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 06:46 PM   #48
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I went to the Saloon not too long ago and was really disappointed. The reception was very very very cold. I got to do tons of tours in many different manufactures and independents but not Patek. I also went to the museum and wasn’t impressed. In the SA own words, the Saloon is like any other AD, they get allocated certain pieces every year and they sell it to their locals and perhaps other VVIP that have had profile over the years. The only benefit to visiting the Saloon is you can try any piece. But that’s it

Haha agreed. The salon is just the modern museum with pieces to try on.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 11:40 PM   #49
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The journey to the Patek MR is almost like a pilgrimage.

I agree that most people applying for a MR have a number of diverse complicated Pateks (not just SS Nautilus and Aquanaut) with a few GCs. I would say having a PCC is like a prerequisite.

When applying for a MR, it seems people also look at the celestial and the split-second chrono or split second PCC. I think it really depends on your preference as a celestial is really like no other and the Patek MR is superior to other brand MRs. There are other brands beside Patek that make some nice split-second chronos. I believe TS still listens to each MR before they are "approved" for delivery to a collector. If the sound quality is not up to Patek standard, it will go back to the manufacturer for re-tuning.

I think going through a factory tour with your AD improves your chances of getting any special piece.

In the past 5078 was the basic MR that most people applied for as their first MR. Since it has been discontinued, the 5178 seems like the natural replacement.

Every once in a while, an AD may get a MR that was ordered by a collector, but the collector backed out for various reasons. The AD may offer this MR to another collector. However the AD may not always be able to change the name on the Certificate, depending on when the original collector backed out.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 12:15 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The journey to the Patek MR is almost like a pilgrimage.

I agree that most people applying for a MR have a number of diverse complicated Pateks (not just SS Nautilus and Aquanaut) with a few GCs. I would say having a PCC is like a prerequisite.

When applying for a MR, it seems people also look at the celestial and the split-second chrono or split second PCC. I think it really depends on your preference as a celestial is really like no other and the Patek MR is superior to other brand MRs. There are other brands beside Patek that make some nice split-second chronos. I believe TS still listens to each MR before they are "approved" for delivery to a collector. If the sound quality is not up to Patek standard, it will go back to the manufacturer for re-tuning.

I think going through a factory tour with your AD improves your chances of getting any special piece.

In the past 5078 was the basic MR that most people applied for as their first MR. Since it has been discontinued, the 5178 seems like the natural replacement.

Every once in a while, an AD may get a MR that was ordered by a collector, but the collector backed out for various reasons. The AD may offer this MR to another collector. However the AD may not always be able to change the name on the Certificate, depending on when the original collector backed out.
Given the amount of time from initial order to delivery, I would think sales not going through for whatever reason is more common than people realize. Maybe not. But it sure opens up the process to others when it does occur in a good way.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2023, 12:47 AM   #51
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Given the amount of time from initial order to delivery, I would think sales not going through for whatever reason is more common than people realize. Maybe not. But it sure opens up the process to others when it does occur in a good way.
I was offered a 5078 under this exact circumstances by my AD. unfortunately the one offered was the engraved dial but I only wanted the plain enamel cream dial. Otherwise I would’ve been a happy owner of a 5078 already.
Old 5 July 2023, 03:28 AM   #52
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was offered a 5078 under this exact circumstances by my AD. unfortunately the one offered was the engraved dial but I only wanted the plain enamel cream dial. Otherwise I would’ve been a happy owner of a 5078 already.

If I had the funds the engraved one is pretty special too even though I too prefer the cream dial with breguet numerals , was able to try it at the salon. What was retail on that when offered to you ?

Old 5 July 2023, 07:24 AM   #53
Mrhenish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Keep us posted on this journey Michael. Best wishes on acquiring such a special piece and congrats to those who already have!
Mrhenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 07:51 AM   #54
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
If I had the funds the engraved one is pretty special too even though I too prefer the cream dial with breguet numerals , was able to try it at the salon. What was retail on that when offered to you ?

I did not ask but I think it was in the 300k range. At that time, he was not sure if Patek Geneva would let him switch owner and I was not interested in the engraved dial so I did not ask for more detail.

To me, the cream enamel dial is the ultimate stealth watch. Too bad it is not available anymore.
Old 5 July 2023, 02:24 PM   #55
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did not ask but I think it was in the 300k range. At that time, he was not sure if Patek Geneva would let him switch owner and I was not interested in the engraved dial so I did not ask for more detail.

To me, the cream enamel dial is the ultimate stealth watch. Too bad it is not available anymore.

Interesting so it was offered to you but depending on Patek HQs decision they could have snatched it away again.

Yeah the new 5178 looks great but I’m not sure about it just very modern. The cream dial is definitely the more classic watch and definitely the more beautiful choice.

Old 5 July 2023, 02:45 PM   #56
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think the engraved one is more special (is it a Rare Handcrafts due to the engravings?). Anyway buy it only if you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhenish View Post
Keep us posted on this journey Michael. Best wishes on acquiring such a special piece and congrats to those who already have!
Thanks will update again!
Old 5 July 2023, 02:57 PM   #57
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice
Which 2 MR do you own please? How was your journey before you got the 1st?
PM'd
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 01:09 PM   #58
Mattt
"TRF" Member

I thoroughly enjoy reading your forum posts. Best of luck!

Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 04:47 PM   #59
rgff
"TRF" Member

BNIB Patek Philippe 5531R WorldTime Minute Repeater Cloisonné Enamel Dial ������
Truly one of the most special Pateks made in recent years and recently discontinued in this Lake Geneva variation ������
Sound on to hear the chime in video ��
Brand new full set picture book from Patek etc
Price: 1.35M USD

just saw in another group, must be a VVIP whale flipper
rgff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 05:11 PM   #60
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgff View Post
BNIB Patek Philippe 5531R WorldTime Minute Repeater Cloisonné Enamel Dial ������
Truly one of the most special Pateks made in recent years and recently discontinued in this Lake Geneva variation ������
Sound on to hear the chime in video ��
Brand new full set picture book from Patek etc
Price: 1.35M USD

just saw in another group, must be a VVIP whale flipper

Saw that. What’s msrp?
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote