The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 November 2015, 01:58 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Are Panerai past peak in popularity or is the best yet to come?

Not looking to be provocative, just curious.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 02:19 AM   #2
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I think they hit a peak years ago (maybe 2007-8ish) and then got a little bit common (relatively speaking). However I think finally now, some of that has subsided and some enthusiasts are coming back for some of the newer designs they've been coming out with using their own movements. Just my .02
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 02:31 AM   #3
YoungW
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 422
i think it's waning a bit due to the influx of "Limited edition" pieces each year. It's definitely a buyers market right now, which is great for those who enjoy the brand and the look :)

I currently own a 422, but would love to pick up a 372, 1940's style Radiomir (572) and a Sub (305 or 389) at some point!
YoungW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 02:36 AM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I liked pam very much but for me the magic gone since long , had a rad sold never looking back .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 03:24 AM   #5
nick c
Banned

For me it's all started because of Stallone and Arnold movies then I want to buy my first panerai it was lefty 217 I get it for retail special edition of 1000 for 10k and after sometimes I sold it on eBay for crazy 25k now I own this beauties
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.6 KB, 657 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I went through my PAM phase. They are great watches and I would definitely add one back into my collection at some point but the magic has worn off for me at least. I think they are the best looking big watches on the market and they are Rolex's closest competition price point wise.

There are too many limited editions and the collection just seems disjointed at this time. I do believe they had their height of popularity already however they still make solid watches and will be around for a long time.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 06:48 AM   #7
JKDWolf
"TRF" Member

I've watched Panerai for a while, and I just purchased my first one (primarily a Rolex collector). I think Panerai's design innovation is just getting started, and I do like the fact that the brand's base seems to be more tempered. It is, in my eyes, still a very hip brand, and I am looking forward to what they bring to the table in the coming years.
JKDWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 07:49 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Maybe the fad has worn off, leaving behind those who appreciate the watches for what they are: awesome.

Let's also remember that today the likely max OP builds is 50/70k/year, which is a far cry from Rolex's million a year.

As an aside, I really don't understand the criticism of PAM LEs.... Except for a few staple models, that's the entire history of the brand.

Now, repeating LEs with minor differences? Yes, I can see how some could be upset.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 07:53 AM   #9
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Past their peak for sure in terms of zeal for the brand. They may sell more watches these days as they're more mainstream, but they are big soft patch in terms of "value" in the preowned market. The paneristi community appears to be more focused on the nostalgia of the 2000s and most are "away" from the brand and have moved on. Too many SEs and new models that you can't keep track of...

Of course though, every watch collection has a place for one... But get one you like to wear and understand it won't hold value and likely require a $$$$ service.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 08:07 AM   #10
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
For me it's all started because of Stallone and Arnold movies then I want to buy my first panerai it was lefty 217 I get it for retail special edition of 1000 for 10k and after sometimes I sold it on eBay for crazy 25k now I own this beauties

Holy cow Nick, that is a crazy profit, yikes, you did very well in that 217!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 08:22 AM   #11
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I agree with all of the above.

I think the Panerai fad has come and gone, which is reflected in the soft secondary pricing. The larger issue for me was the repeated LE's with minor variations.

The latter for me is what initially killed the brand and caused me to sell off the majority of my collection a few years ago. I only kept two, a 249 and a 199.

Now, 5+ years later, I am slowly starting to come back around. I do miss my 305, and I do like some of the new models. I am slowly considering adding some pieces back, based on that weak pricing.

In the long run who knows. I still think they make great watches. It's just frustrating to watch the value/limited allure of a piece like the 249 fall apart with each new cali dial they release.
Old 8 November 2015, 08:48 AM   #12
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Holy cow Nick, that is a crazy profit, yikes, you did very well in that 217!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you believe that and people talk crap about them
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2015, 08:56 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Their continuous release of limited editions continues to weaken the brand IMHO.

It is a fantastic watch if you keep that in mind and avoid the trap.

my preference is toward a simple luminor 000/111, these are solid choices without the price gouging and pie in the sky values of the LE models.
Old 8 November 2015, 11:36 PM   #14
JKDWolf
"TRF" Member

I've read some things about the Brooklyn Bridge, and the LE's/quick re-issue with slight mods. This, I can understand, can be very concerning to people. I think that fans/supporters of the brand in its growth phase (from tiny company to a growing international brand that was consumer-driven), can feel very isolated in this sense because...it isn't necessarily a consumer-driven company anymore that relied on Paneristi's and (supposedly unpaid) celebrity adulation.

The company, in my opinion, is in a more difficult phase: innovation. Once it was the struggling under-dog, but now arguably swinging with the big boys. And in my very humble opinion they had the choice to rely on the old, but swung instead into bold territory. Ceramica submersibles, bronze cases, all while keeping the military heritage AND sleek Italian style. To me, this is very very difficult to pull off. But I do admire their position at the same time, because unlike my favorites brand (Rolex), they are not tied down by their traditional customer base (i.e. I don't think we will see a 44mm ceramic Daytona ever).

This, to me, is why they are now a far more exciting brand than their previous incarnation. Previously they were the under-dog minimalist brand that just happened to push the edges primarily due to size of their cases. Now, they are pushing the envelope not only with size, but also design, materials, and their manufacture. That's exciting to me, and I can get behind that. This is why my next likely purchase is the ceramica submersible.
JKDWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 12:05 AM   #15
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I can't disagree with most of what people have written but the people who still buy them appreciate the watch and the brand for what it is not as a fad
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 01:30 AM   #16
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I dislike the altered/re-juggled elements of the past into newer model (this is not how I define innovation). Turn off? For sure. However, I still love the simple and rugged models that always make me peek twice.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 01:31 AM   #17
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

There is nothing out there like a PAM. I think every collection should have one. However, the allure has faded a bit for most in the last few years. I've owned many and settled on the simple ETA based 111. Entry level? Who cares, I'll take it over almost any other reference.
Old 9 November 2015, 05:14 AM   #18
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post

I think the Panerai fad has come and gone, which is reflected in the soft secondary pricing. The larger issue for me was the repeated LE's with minor variations.

The latter for me is what initially killed the brand and caused me to sell off the majority of my collection a few years ago. I only kept two, a 249 and a 199.

Now, 5+ years later, I am slowly starting to come back around. I do miss my 305, and I do like some of the new models. I am slowly considering adding some pieces back, based on that weak pricing.

In the long run who knows. I still think they make great watches. It's just frustrating to watch the value/limited allure of a piece like the 249 fall apart with each new cali dial they release.

Agree. I am keeping my O series 000 which I thought about selling when I picked up a Sub in April for $6650 from my AD, in my mind at the time I thought I could have gotten $4500 plus for the 000. This was before I was aware of the MSRP DECREASE this year. I also waited too long to sell and with BNIB examples now at an "ask" of $4200, I could probably see $3700 if I was lucky.

I am kind of getting reattached to it as a casual watch and it is not worth the hit of 3k net against the sub to me to go through the whole selling process and besides, I think the Unitas engined PAMS will go up in value, especially the logo 000/005 models, when PAM switches completely to in house movements.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 12:54 PM   #19
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post

And now we are seeing the 629 which is bringing the cali dial into a luminor case and in pvd. Will we see the cali dial on a submersible or GMT next? Dilution of the cali dial continues
Old 9 November 2015, 02:09 PM   #20
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Agree. I am keeping my O series 000 which I thought about selling when I picked up a Sub in April for $6650 from my AD, in my mind at the time I thought I could have gotten $4500 plus for the 000. This was before I was aware of the MSRP DECREASE this year. I also waited too long to sell and with BNIB examples now at an "ask" of $4200, I could probably see $3700 if I was lucky.

I am kind of getting reattached to it as a casual watch and it is not worth the hit of 3k net against the sub to me to go through the whole selling process and besides, I think the Unitas engined PAMS will go up in value, especially the logo 000/005 models, when PAM switches completely to in house movements.
I don't they will ever go entirely in house. They just released new "entry" level watches with ETA movements.

I was never big into their in house movements. I like Panerai for the case design and simple dials.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2015, 10:46 PM   #21
unknown
"TRF" Member

I honestly can't remember how many I had
A lot
a few dozen

Been buying them since about 2000

Things started when they started making LE from LE ... Didn't like that
I sold almost everything between 2012 and 2014
Last one I had ( have) is the 372

But that one will be sold wednesday

I still think it's the best Panerai to have but I almost don't wear it anymore so I decided to let it go
Old 10 November 2015, 02:50 AM   #22
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I like the Radiomir very much and enjoy wearing mine but have never followed the brand with great interest, and don't know all the model numbers. I like their relatively simple designs, never been a fan of their chronographs or submersible styles. I do like the ceramic cases though.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 04:22 AM   #23
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I own quite a few PAM over the years... 000 88 305 312 328 351 and finally the 372.. And that ended my panerai additions .. I think the 372 just too good till I no longer need another so far.. To me, the 372 is almost perfect! Only 587 is good enough that got my attention and interest.. I turn down on 587 twice!! 372 is just too good for me to add even the 587..

Panerai didn't manage to sell me anything since I got my 372 back in 2012.

P/S all my Pam sold. 372 is my one n only n that's all I need. IMHO 372 sums up everything about panerai.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 11:17 AM   #24
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
I own quite a few PAM over the years... 000 88 305 312 328 351 and finally the 372.. And that ended my panerai additions .. I think the 372 just too good till I no longer need another so far.. To me, the 372 is almost perfect! Only 587 is good enough that got my attention and interest.. I turn down on 587 twice!! 372 is just too good for me to add even the 587..

P/S all my Pam sold. 372 is my one n only n that's all I need. IMHO 372 sums up everything about panerai.
That is a great move. I think I will just have one 372 now too. Given the back up in price, I think 372 is good value and gives you everything old school Panerai can dish out!
Old 10 November 2015, 12:02 PM   #25
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post

My first was a 000. A friend had a 243 and I liked it, so I got one. Somewhere along the line I lost interest in both and sold them to update/upgrade my Rolexes. But I missed having a Panerai, so I sold off a couple pieces I wasn't wearing and got a 372. It's perfect, and supplants all other Panerai for me; I need no others... just more straps.
melons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 02:44 PM   #26
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I have been thru a dozen or so Panerai watches. Now down to a 372 and 005. Very solid brand for me. I like blending them with my Rolex collection. Something about the robust case and simple dial that make me enjoy a Panerai on my wrist.
Joearch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 08:19 AM   #27
usctrojan99
2024 Pledge Member

I've been collecting watches since 2001. When I was in grad school (2003), I had rotated between a Rolex Sub, DJ and a Tag Monaco. I saw a pre-owned PAM 88D GMT for sale. Not having the immediate funds, I was relegated to selling my Monaco to raise the cash necessary to buy the PAM 88 for $2,800 (yes - you heard that right). I loved everything about the PAM. I had never owned a 44MM watch, but loved the feel and rarity of the watch. You just didn't see them in the wild. I never considered wearing a 44MM. To this day, I still give PAM credit for opening my eyes to wear larger watches. Without my experience with PAM, i don't think I would have bought a Big Pilot, for example.

I put my sub and DJ in hibernation, and wore the PAM for a year. It was my daily watch. After a year or so, I sold the PAM88 for $4,200. Where can you earn a 50% return and enjoy the watch for a year, you couldn't ask for a better hobby ;) Outside of a few Rolexes, that PAM 88 sale was one of my greatest returns on a watch.

At the time, I appreciated that PAMs had limited volume. They were unique and classy. From 2003-2007, I toggled back and forth between PAMs - each time having the enjoyment of wearing a PAM and making some nominal $$ at the same time when selling. I've owned about 25 different PAMs since, but I haven't owned one in 2 years.

Why have I stopped?

First, I have gravitated back to wearing 40MM and smaller watches.

Second, I do agree they made too many and diluted the brand with the abundance of LEs and various iterations; thus, I think their identity is somewhat opaque. Though I applaud their shift to in-house movement, I get the sense they are spending too much time appeasing everyone - 42MM, 45MM, 47MM, 1950/1940 case, radiomir, luminor, 3 day, 8 day, manual, and auto etc., rather than being secure and confident with their own brand and core product line.

There is nothing wrong chasing the mighty dollar. All the brands are guilty of it - Rolex, IWC, AP, etc. However, the degree to which they diluted the brand is magnified each year with more and more iterations.

Third, the delta between Panerai's MSRP to secondary market is widening each year. Knowing my ADHD with watches, I refuse to take a bath when buying a PAM at retail or close to it. And seeing how much prices have dropped on PAMs, I weigh my enjoyment of the watch with the exit value when selling it. I know many will enjoy watches irrespective about resale value, but I prefer to wear watches where I don't take a bath on them. In that sense, the MSRP to secondary pricing of PAM is somewhat akin to that of Breitlings. That resale value has skewed my enjoyment of PAM for better or worse. Having said this, I don't think the quality has diminished.

There are plenty of purists who don't care about resale value, and I applaud them. It's those purists that inspire the Panerai brand each day. Unfortunately, I never considered myself a purist.
usctrojan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2015, 09:06 AM   #28
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Hard to say. Panerai is here to stay, for sure. But its cult underground status and "Fight Club" aura are gone.
I've had Panerais for 15 years, and still have the first one I bought (new) in 2001. I wear it less and less these days. As I get more senior in my career, wearing a big tuna can on my wrist seems less appropriate at the C-level, even with bespoke shirts with a larger left cuff diameter to accommodate it. I have gravitated towards my Daytona, which gets the majority of my wrist time these days -- slim enough, elegant, sporty, classy: it's the perfect watch for me.

Panerai will never go away, and that's a good thing. It's now competing in the mainstream.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote