The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #31
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
GS is a better watch IMO. Its not "a Rolex" though so its a situation where Rolex wins based on the power of their brand.

Finishing, cases, dials, hands GS is better. Comfort its a tie. Usability its a tie. Innovation GS wins because i think spring drive in particular is really cool. Brand name, Rolex wins in a landslide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
GS, Quality made dials, cases and movements. As well made or better than rolex.

However the GS watches tend to be on the thicker side and the design choices are a bit limited. The insistence on a date window in the vast majority of GS offerings is disappointing. Especially the divers.

The GS bracelet leaves something to be desired in terms of construction... while the links appear to be held in place by screwed bars like a rolex, it is not so. The screw heads are just screwed caps that cover a pin that is inserted between. This seems like a peculiar shortcut to me compared with all the other design choices? Perhaps there is a good explanation that i am unaware of? So in my experience I prefer them on leather.

Additional offerings with no date would be very welcome. As well as a slight shift to offer something between their ideas of a dress watch and a sports watch.

GS are available and can be had for a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
People seen enough of posts from me knows I am a big fan of GS, but GS honestly is for someone who is comfortable with their collection and wants to try something else.

If it’s your only watch, I would say go for Rolex. Not that I think Rolex is a better watch (if we are speaking strictly about the watch itself) but I do think brand name matters, and second hand values matters to a lot of people, GS is not strong in these two areas.
I think that these fine opinions, together, match mine. I will add though, I have not had a Spring drive. Accuracy has been about equal on the High Beat and the Rolex I have owned, I check them using my GS quartz, which keeps about perfect time.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 03:06 AM   #32
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
All threads benefit from pics and this watch is one of my favorites.

The design is ultra clean and precise while there are subtle nuances that provide the owner with continuing satisfaction. The watch captures much of the essence of a classic vintage dress watch and then takes it a bit further without giving anything up
Such as the curved dial hands and crystal. The 70 hr power reserve is also fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 622EAE00-6A06-4FAC-A966-99AE169C8C62.jpeg (118.6 KB, 313 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 03:14 AM   #33
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
If I had to have only one watch, it would not be a GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My sentiments exactly...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:23 AM   #34
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

very different watches in general. Personally I'm not a fan of GS, I don't like the case and bracelet typically, dials can be pretty nice though. I just don't like the fit/feel on the wrist either. I much prefer Rolex in general for my overall style. Doesn't mean I won't find a GS that I just have to have, but as of now, I haven't found one.
Old 7 February 2019, 04:26 AM   #35
Talbel
"TRF" Member

I have owned multiple models of both for years and they both make fine timepieces. For me personally, Rolex wins for marketing and resale (if that’s important to you)and GS wins for quality, finish and innovation. You can’t go wrong with either, but Rolex has been replaced with GS in my collection. All that said, if I could only have one watch, it wouldn’t be either GS or Rolex. Based on what I own now, it would probably be my VC Overseas. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:32 AM   #36
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The design is ultra clean and precise while there are subtle nuances that provide the owner with continuing satisfaction. The watch captures much of the essence of a classic vintage dress watch and then takes it a bit further without giving anything up
Such as the curved dial hands and crystal. The 70 hr power reserve is also fantastic.
That's a good one alright.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:19 AM   #37
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post
As been mentioned....Grand Seiko is a fine timepiece. BUT it simply can't compare to Rolex. I've owned an MM300 and while it was a fine piece in its own right (often referred to as the Japanese Sub) I sold it after about 6 months as it just didn't make me smile like the Crown. YMMV
MM300 is Seiko, not GS right? Would anyone consider a Tudor BB36 a Rolex lol
Old 7 February 2019, 09:30 AM   #38
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Sure; I'll trade my Platona for this one...NOT!!

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga385g

I prefer that GS to the platona, frankly.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:40 AM   #39
stockae92
"TRF" Member

If you ask me, Rolex really has no answer to GS. GS wins handles down on all criteria except for "look how much money I spent for the people that doesn't know watches". Not that its a bad thing. When you spend a sizeable sum of money, one some level, you still want some recognition for that.

BUT ... the only Rolex I like and still have is the one that GS doesn't have an answer to, which is the Milgauss. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:50 AM   #40
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
If you ask me, Rolex really has no answer to GS. GS wins handles down on all criteria except for "look how much money I spent for the people that doesn't know watches". Not that its a bad thing. When you spend a sizeable sum of money, one some level, you still want some recognition for that.

BUT ... the only Rolex I like and still have is the one that GS doesn't have an answer to, which is the Milgauss. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (46.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 09:59 AM   #41
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That's a nice one.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:28 AM   #42
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey Guys—

Many amongst us are saying Grand Seiko is taking the lead in terms of quality, accuracy, and value. I have not yet had the chance to handle a GS in the metal.

For those of you whom have had the chance, I’d love your take on how GS stacks up against Rolex.

Looking forward to tour thoughts!

Depending on what is your criteria. I own 4GS and 2 Rolex. Comparing just the sheer quality of watches alone, GS is definitely better. The dial is much better finished, looks sharper and cleaner.

Rolex has the brand cache and resale value which is an important consideration for a lot of people.
Old 7 February 2019, 11:14 AM   #43
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

What a beautiful watch, great picture
Old 7 February 2019, 11:23 AM   #44
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
It's a recreation of the first Grand Seiko released in 1960: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/about/history
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (86.2 KB, 277 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 11:38 AM   #45
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
That's a good one alright.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Thank you, very kind.
Old 7 February 2019, 11:42 AM   #46
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a recreation of the first Grand Seiko released in 1960: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/about/history
Thanks Adam

I understand the watch was released on two separate occasions after the original (possibly 3?)

What gets a bit tricky is that the one I own is a 38mm size while the previous one was either 35 or 36 but as looks go they are very difficult to tell apart.
Old 7 February 2019, 11:48 AM   #47
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which model is that? Automatic or quartz?

I do own a SBGX091, which has the awesome 9F movement and anti-magnetic. I love this watch.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 11:50 AM   #48
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Thanks Adam

I understand the watch was released on two separate occasions after the original (possibly 3?)

What gets a bit tricky is that the one I own is a 38mm size while the previous one was either 35 or 36 but as looks go they are very difficult to tell apart.
Yeah, I think they reissued it in 2001, 2011 and 2017 but I'm not sure what the sizes were. It was a groundbreaking piece for Seiko in 1960 anyway (and the first nail in the coffin of Swiss chronometer competitions, you might say) and deserves to be resurrected from time to time.
Old 7 February 2019, 11:55 AM   #49
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Which model is that? Automatic or quartz?

I do own a SBGX091, which has the awesome 9F movement and anti-magnetic. I love this watch.
The one I posted above is the quartz SBGX089 but there are automatics, too, like the SBGR077 and SBGR079.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand-Seiko-SBGR077-SBGR079-anti-magnetic-watch-1.jpg (123.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 12:01 PM   #50
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
The one I posted above is the quartz SBGX089 but there are automatics, too, like the SBGR077 and SBGR079.
I prefer these bracelets to Grand Seiko's current ones.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 12:04 PM   #51
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think they reissued it in 2001, 2011 and 2017 but I'm not sure what the sizes were. It was a groundbreaking piece for Seiko in 1960 anyway (and the first nail in the coffin of Swiss chronometer competitions, you might say) and deserves to be resurrected from time to time.
Agreed well earned accomplishment that certainly competes with the best and deserves a revisit.

I’m all for tradition however, I am almost disappointed that they didn’t offer a clear case back so the movment detail and finishing could be enjoyed.

Really is a watch that hits every point on the nose. Perfectly sized and super simple design leaves nothing on the table to second guess.

Old 7 February 2019, 12:11 PM   #52
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Agreed well earned accomplishment that certainly competes with the best and deserves a revisit.

I’m all for tradition however, I am almost disappointed that they didn’t offer a clear case back so the movment detail and finishing could be enjoyed.

Really is a watch that hits every point on the nose. Perfectly sized and super simple design leaves nothing on the table to second guess.

I agree. It's one of their nicest GS classic reissues. The homage to the second GS is also very nice, IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67e0cf3e1b09070ce2a86e8662fc8765.jpg (73.7 KB, 265 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 12:48 PM   #53
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
due to the recent GS enthusiasm in the forum, I was thinking about selling my chopard GMT Mille Miglia Chronograph and replacing it with a spring driver GS/maybe a snow flake., love the anniversary dial.....I went to the showroom in Singapore to try it on.....and honestly, it just felt like a Seiko...that was slightly better built. I don't understand the "GS" hype. I love all watches, and had a pvd/black seiko orange moster as well, which i gave to a friend. I loved that watch, must have paid about USD 250 for it. I would rather spending 5,000 - 6,000 on a used Blancpain, Glaushette, Chopard, JLC.....then get a GS.......but that is just me.....i'm not trying to be all swiss and brand conscious, maybe sub-consciously I am...who knows...but it just did not sing to me....and i look at watches across all spectrums, I am currently looking for a swatch x hirst mickey mouse mirror spot.....
Old 7 February 2019, 12:59 PM   #54
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post
As been mentioned....Grand Seiko is a fine timepiece. BUT it simply can't compare to Rolex. I've owned an MM300 and while it was a fine piece in its own right (often referred to as the Japanese Sub) I sold it after about 6 months as it just didn't make me smile like the Crown. YMMV
The MM300 is not a Grand Seiko so it’s not really fair to compare that to a Sub.
Aside from brand equity I would say the Grand Seiko is better value. It is better finished, less automation in manufacturing and produced in smaller numbers. Note I didn’t say a better watch. I think they both have their pros and cons in different areas and the term “better” is very subjective according to ones perception of what better is. A lot of people complain about the bracelets and clasps of the Grand Seiko and that’s how I feel about Rolex’s pre 6 digits bracelet and clasps. Yet there is no lack of fanboys for the old Rolex bracelets. One of the complaints I have about the old Rolex bracelets is that it feels cheap and doesn’t seem it belongs on a watch of that prestige and pedigree.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:07 PM   #55
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. It's one of their nicest GS classic reissues. The homage to the second GS is also very nice, IMO.
Very nice.

Another thing I really like about GS Is their common continued use of lugholes, this always puts a smile on my face when I pick up a watch and see them.
Old 7 February 2019, 01:18 PM   #56
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Can’t deny the GS is a beautiful watch, but I don’t do spring drive.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:33 PM   #57
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Very nice.

Another thing I really like about GS Is their common continued use of lugholes, this always puts a smile on my face when I pick up a watch and see them.
Funnily enough I can't think of any vintage Grand Seiko models (1960-75) that did have lugholes.They seem to have gone in the opposite direction to Rolex is that way.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:34 PM   #58
CNDguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234/Speedy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 314C9D2A-0AA1-4D95-AAD7-644487B72BC7.jpeg (108.8 KB, 261 views)
CNDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 05:32 PM   #59
PublicAccountantSlav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Really? It is actually quite far from it.

Spring drive is controversial, some would say it is the best movement ever while others would say it is a pointless kludge. I find myself in the pointless kludge camp. If I want an advanced mechanical movement I will buy it. If I want an accurate quartz movement I will buy it. I am not interested in a watch that mixes these together and produces what to my mind is inferior to either a pure mechanical movement or a pure quartz.

Can you read? I clearly mentioned ACCURACY. I even capitalized the word for you.

PublicAccountantSlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 11:01 PM   #60
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If I am honest, I have never understood the less than complimentary reaction about the bracelets and clasps on a Grand Seiko, certainly, the ones I have on my 2 GS watches inspire me with the same confidence as my Sub C bracelet.

I will say, I would like a glide lock system on the 2 GS I own (non diver), my wrist swells quite a lot when warm/hot and the gridlock is handy, it is a first world problem, in cold weather, my GS bracelets are a tad loose, it doesn't bother me that much, but it would be nice to quickly adjust when needed.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote