The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 August 2008, 02:55 AM   #31
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Every time I see a photo like that, it just reminds me of how interesting mechanical watches are. Too bad that's lost on a lot of Timex buying people.

They are quite the cool devices - I wish I could disassemble and reassemble mine just for fun!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2008, 03:09 AM   #32
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I am with you Steve!, there seems to be a significant level of research and investment on the parachrom bleu hairspring that should reflect:

1) Better acuracy on the long run as it will be less affected by common issue like shock, magnetic fields and temperature changes.

2) No dependence from Nivarox better vertical integration as a manufacture.
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2008, 03:56 AM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It seems that the Parachrome Bleu hairspring has generated enough ink and paper to clear a forest and render a herd of Octopi extinct.

But, is it really deserved.......

Personally I think it is over-hyped. Probably to show that Rolex isn't really the tortoise folks think it is and to generate some enthusiasm.. Also, to counter some of Omega's over hyped Co-ax modified ETA ink.

Here is what I see:

The 3186 has a new designation, not because of the Parachrom, but because parts were modified internally; so certain parts cannot be interchanged with the earlier 3185

The DSSD press kit information states that the DeepSea is equipped with the usual 3135, Parachrome equipped movement, and not a different number.

The new Day-Date II has a a movement fitted with the new Rolex in-house Paraflex shock system, the Parachrom, and perhaps other enhancements to fit into the latest 41mm case. More has been done than just a hairspring

This tells me that just the change to the Parachrom is not enough of a change, even by Rolex standards, to get a different movement number..

It also might mean that the 3135 assembly line is ratcheting up to incorporate the Parachrom....It seems like it might be a direct replacement for the Nivarox spring that Rolex knows will be tightening their distribution network. I just can't imagine Rolex operating one 3135 assembly line for the Paracharm hairspring and a separate one for the Nivarox hairspring.

The Parachrom is an advancement because Rolex was able to use their own methods and different materials to obtain their own patent....But, it is still just a hairspring - it just doesn't do anything differently.

What do you think..??

I agree Larry the Parachrome spring is most certainly 95% pure hype,and the main reason for Rolex to develope there own hairspring.Was 1 to stop the strangle hold Hayek from the ETA Swatch group,there main supplier of balance springs,they had such a strangle hold,on nearly all the Swiss watch manufactures including Rolex. But Rolex now can manufacture there own, but still Swatch Nivarox was/is there main hairspring supplier until Rolex becomes totally self sufficient. And the ETA Nivarox H/springs have been in Rolex watches for 40 plus years.Hence the need for this new parachrome balance hair-spring,to be completely self sufficient in all watch parts for Rolex watches.Parachome is just a word like superlative, Rolesor, Rolesium and many more.Is it going to be more accurate or long lasting than the Nivarox springs IMHO I would doubt it.Rolex movements from the 15XX upwards have been very accurate and extremely long lasting. Just look how many of the vintage ones are still running today 40 years on plus.Fact John Harrisons marine chronometer a watch made nearly 300 years ago is as accurate as the best Swiss watches made today

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2008, 09:29 PM   #34
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
As always great info, now was it all hype?
Old 1 August 2008, 11:39 PM   #35
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
....NOT rust!!!! Looks like blued steel like that of a gun, which in FACT will rust!!

Stan.
Hey Stan,
It IS "RUSTED." Actually, the blue color stems from "oxidation" from exposure to O2 if I recall correctly.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2008, 03:20 AM   #36
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Rust only occurs when there is FeO2 present, which is Iron Oxide. Otherwise, any other reaction with oxygen which causes a change is simply oxidisation. Rust, becaue of FeO2, is generally reddish brown in colour and also comes with a weakening of the alloy involved.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2008, 03:24 AM   #37
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Rust only occurs when there is FeO2 present, which is Iron Oxide. Otherwise, any other reaction with oxygen which causes a change is simply oxidisation. Rust, becaue of FeO2, is generally reddish brown in colour and also comes with a weakening of the alloy involved.
Of course, you are right, thus the "" on rust. Just meant to share the fact it wasn't "painted" or "plated" but that the blue color was based on a chemical reaction to oxygen already.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 02:17 PM   #38
ROBERT123

Watch: GMT IIC,SS Daytona
The parachrome spring will I think prolong the life of every rolex, so its not over hype. This is a great improvement for the hairspring.
ROBERT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2009, 11:23 AM   #39
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed. I see nothing to indicate it's not an improvement. In fact, anything Rolex can do in-house can be considered an improvement because they have complete control over manufacture. Until proven wrong I'll put my faith in claims made by Rolex engineers.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2009, 12:00 PM   #40
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Very interesting read. Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can put this spring on a 1570 movement?
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2009, 06:19 PM   #41
Nods

Watch: Rolex GMT SS
Guys read the post on Magnetism and then tell me that the Parachrome Hairspring is not a significant advantage over hairsprings. Especially if you own a Gold or Platinum watch.
Nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2009, 09:29 PM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by postiff View Post
Very interesting read. Thanks.

Does anyone know if you can put this spring on a 1570 movement?
First I would have to ask why the Cal 1570 is one of Rolex finest movements and yours must be a few decades old.And must assume still running and keeping good time.The Parachrome hairspring will not make it any better than the one thats been running for a few decades in your watch.And hairsprings are normally matched to the other escapement parts so would doubt if it would fit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2009, 07:24 AM   #43
watchmaker
TechXpert

Plain and simple.
The parachrome has very little to no advantage over nivarox....except for Rolex
The important difference is, the Swatch Group does not own it.

Almost all of Rolex's in house creations are efforts to remain independant from Swatch.
Nivarox-Parachrome
Moebius-Rolex Patent Oils
ETA

Rolex even joined a consortium of watch manufacturers and bought out Bergeon SA, one of the leading horological tool suppliers, just so Swatch couldnt buy them.

Swatch scare Rolex. And quite rightly. They are they single greatest threat to the Rolex brand.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2009, 10:24 PM   #44
Nods

My GMYc runs at less than a second a day. Can I thank the Parachrome hairspring or am I just lucky?
Old 9 October 2009, 03:30 AM   #45
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nods View Post
My GMYc runs at less than a second a day. Can I thank the Parachrome hairspring or am I just lucky?
I would say 'just lucky'. My Parachrome DSSD is not as accurate as two non-Parachrome Subs I use to have...so in the big scheme of things I don't really think it matters from an accuracy standpoint. In the end, they are ALL well within tolerances...so really I have nothing to complain about.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 05:53 AM   #46
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think that the hype has got to the point that people are confusing Parachrom, Nivarox, and other hairsprings..

Parachrom has a lot of advantages over a "standard" hairspring.... However, Rolex has never used a "standard" hairspring for many, many decades. They have used the high quality Nivarox, which are similar in characteristics as their new Parachrom..

Here is an excerpt about Nivarox:

The Nivarox alloy is used mainly in the watch industry, but also in other micro-machine industries and in certain medical equipment and surgical instruments. There are several variations of the Nivarox alloy depending upon the intended application. These alloys are stainless steel alloys with high concentrations of Cobalt (42-48%), Nickel (15-25%) and
Chromium (16-22%). There are also small amounts of titanium and beryllium. Hairsprings made of this alloy are wear-resistant; they are practically non-magnetic, non-rusting and possess a low coefficient of thermal expansion.

Nivarox 1 through 5 is a series of grades of hairsprings with number 1 being the best quality. The most commonly encountered Nivarox hairsprings are 1 through 3. The alloy is unaffected by heat and ordinary magnetic fields. There is however, also the Anachron hairspring which is said to be of even higher quality than the Nivarox No. 1.
Old 9 October 2009, 06:27 AM   #47
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
an intimidating level of reliability and technical excellence.

Best line I think I have read on these Forums! Period.

Thanks Larry.

That is precisely why I wear one. I don't collect them and then ask which one I should take to Hawaii, a wedding or if I can swim with it. They're not jewellery nor a fashion accessory. They are an exquisitely engineered marvel. They are incredibly beautiful, accurate and tough all at the same instant. Designed to be worn.

And if an outfit like Rolex wants to hype-up the fact that they have spent a franc or two becoming a little better as well as a little more independant then I say so be it and take it with a grain of salt.
Old 10 October 2009, 01:53 AM   #48
Nods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post

Thanks Larry.

That is precisely why I wear one. I don't collect them and then ask which one I should take to Hawaii, a wedding or if I can swim with it. They're not jewellery nor a fashion accessory. They are an exquisitely engineered marvel. They are incredibly beautiful, accurate and tough all at the same instant. Designed to be worn.

And if an outfit like Rolex wants to hype-up the fact that they have spent a franc or two becoming a little better as well as a little more independant then I say so be it and take it with a grain of salt.
Well said
Old 10 October 2009, 02:23 AM   #49
sexner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nods View Post
Well said
Well, thanks, Lionel I appreciate it.

Sometimes some of the stuff people come up with around here really makes me shake my head (or hang it in disgust).

Have a nice weekend.

Old 10 October 2009, 03:11 AM   #50
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:

Thanks Larry.

Again. Very well stated Sheldon, I could not agree more.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:04 AM   #51
sexner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Again. Very well stated Sheldon, I could not agree more.
Thanks, Patrick.

Old 10 October 2009, 06:12 AM   #52
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:

Thanks Larry.

Good one, Sheldon.

It's good to see some traces of brilliance in your otherwise crazy demeanour!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 12:52 AM   #53
sexner
"TRF" Member

Thanks, JJ.

Very minor traces at best!