The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2011, 03:34 AM   #1
ktmd

Winder or not?

Hi guys and gals. I have been "lurking" for a little bit but this is my first post on TRF. What a great group of people you all are. Finally, an informative and civilized internet forum!

I am new to mechanical watches, and I wondered what your thoughts are on storage. Is it better to keep a collection of watches on a winder, or is it ok to have them sit still? Does it matter either way? I realize the ideal would be to wear the watches frequently, but depending on the size of the collection that is not always an option. I know somebody has asked this question before, but I do not recall any answers being given.

Thanks alot, and HAGD.
ktmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:43 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

IMO, and you will get different answers, you're better off leaving them to rest!
Why have them running when not being used is my philosophy. It's only (overtime) creating unnecessary movement wear that's not needed.
You should however, If storing them unwound, wind them about once a month to keep the oils from pooling and in the necessary places.

Save your money, and wind them by hand, that's half the fun of owning a mechanical watch!
Welcome to the boards!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:44 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
IMHO no Rolex Oyster needs a watch-winder, only the one it was designed for your own wrist.Just let them stop and rest when used just wind and reset takes just 30 seconds to do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:44 AM   #4
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I keep all my automatic watches (and my wife's) that have a date or any other complication on a winder.

I never know what I want to wear and for me it's a hassle to adjust the time/date every time.

The ones with no date I keep on a safe.
Old 12 June 2011, 03:47 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
I keep all my automatic watches (and my wife's) that have a date or any other complication on a winder.

I never know what I want to wear and for me it's a hassle to adjust the time/date every time.

The ones with no date I keep on a safe.
Even on a winder you still got to adjust the date 5 times a year but even a stopped watch takes seconds to reset and wind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:49 AM   #6
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
No winder- save the wear and tear and let it run down and rest when not wearing it!
Use you wrist and fingers- they work best!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 03:50 AM   #7
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I prefer a winder on my older ones with no quick set date. Much easier for me and I'm not worried about excessive wear. You still should get them serviced every 5-7 years.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
I prefer a winder on my older ones with no quick set date. Much easier for me and I'm not worried about excessive wear. You still should get them serviced every 5-7 years.
Agree... try winding or setting a watch that has no quick date change, it's not fun. No matter how many times its asked, you will always get the same people who love their winders and the same people who don't. In the end only you can decide if its right for you.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 04:50 AM   #9
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I would rather have my watches resting and not causing unjust wear a tear. IMHO, winders are the biggest waste of money, unless you have a watch that has multiple complications that is a bear to set.
Old 12 June 2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Norton
"TRF" Member

Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
IMO, and you will get different answers, you're better off leaving them to rest!
Why have them running when not being used is my philosophy. It's only (overtime) creating unnecessary movement wear that's not needed.
You should however, If storing them unwound, wind them about once a month to keep the oils from pooling and in the necessary places.

Save your money, and wind them by hand, that's half the fun of owning a mechanical watch!
Welcome to the boards!
This is the best answer I've read about this often discussed topic. Thanks!
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 09:02 AM   #11
jrssv

I have three Rolexes and a Breitling. I wear one and keep the other three on winders. I switch watches often and I find it saves a lot of hastle. If I wore the same watch every day for a month it wouldn't matter.
jrssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
My "rule" is that automatic watches with screw-down crown should be kept on the winder. I've already ruined a screw-down crown tube because of frequent manual winding or setting the watch, and I wouldn't wanna do that again.

Watches with no screw-down are easier to set, easier to manually wind. Too bad all automatic watches that I fancy have screw-down crown

And when it comes to a watch that you wear no more than once a month, it's normal to keep it in the safe. No winder is necessary for such special occasion pieces.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

Welcome to the boards!
X2
Sherwooddavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 10:05 AM   #14
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
You will find this is often a matter of personal preference. I believe you can do no harm with a good quality winder. If you have more than one watch, and they have dates, you can just pick it up and wear it without setting and winding it. If you decide on a winder be prepared to get a quality one that has three movements; clockwise, counterclockwise and bidirectional. Depending on the make and sometimes even model each watch requires a particular directional movement. For instance, most Rolexes are bidirectional. I have a wolf two watch winder for three watches and could not be happier. But before that I had a couple other winders and they were awful. And I agree this is a fantastic forum!
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

My winder is sitting idle.

My bracelets have been adjusted to fit my 6.5" wrist. The cushions on the winder stretch out the bracelets...
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 12:19 PM   #16
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
My winder is sitting idle.

My bracelets have been adjusted to fit my 6.5" wrist. The cushions on the winder stretch out the bracelets...
Are you kidding about the cushions? How can a cushion "stretch" steel

Winder for me, I always have 3-4 the winder but I like to change watches frequently sometimes several times per day
Old 12 June 2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Are you kidding about the cushions? How can a cushion "stretch" steel

Winder for me, I always have 3-4 the winder but I like to change watches frequently sometimes several times per day
Well... my Sub was so tight on the cushion that it bent the bracelet so that it would not close. Had to visit the RSC and have them re-establish the capability to clip shut.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 12:37 PM   #18
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Well... my Sub was so tight on the cushion that it bent the bracelet so that it would not close. Had to visit the RSC and have them re-establish the capability to clip shut.
WOW, I also have smaller wrists about 6.5 and have never had any issues...
Old 12 June 2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
As has been said, you'll get as many different opinions as there are members.

Personally, I prefer to keep the watches I don't wear regularly (meaning daily) on a winder. All my watches have one or more complications and they can be a pain in the butt to reset each time you want to wear one. Several of my watches have multiple complications (day, date, GMT) and my Breitling Navitimer Olympus has numerous complications - day, date, month, moon phase, and time. It takes me 10 - 15 minutes to reset that watch when it stops. So I try never to let that one stop. I don't think keeping a watch on a winder will wear it out in your lifetime. After that, let your heirs worry about it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2011, 01:45 PM   #20
bkandj2000

Watch: None specifically
Rolex automatic watches are designed to stay running- worst thing for them is to stop running. Use appropriate winder if not being worn. (According to conversation I had personally with RUSA rep).
bkandj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote