The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 May 2018, 04:11 PM   #31
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Did you mean selling?
I like this piece so much!

Thank you
Sorry meant selling! Damn autocorrect
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:16 PM   #32
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Hi MPS,
Why did you sell them, if I may ask?
Aren’t they keepers in your view? Didn’t you like them after a while?
Or is it for other personal reasons?
The 15202 is great, but I much prefer the Patek 5711 for its smoother lines and different color blue dial. They seemed redundant, so the 15202 left after only a very brief stint.

As for the CB, I got bored with it after a year or two...and went down the route of more complications, so it was sold to fund something different. In hindsight, I should've held onto it. The movement is beautiful, and the tantalum case (and gold movement) give the watch a nice weight.

Ah well, we all make mistakes!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 09:50 AM   #33
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Two grail level pieces for me. I went with the 15400 to save a few pennies, and I'd love to add at CB or CS down line, hopefully sooner than later.

You're right - you only live once, and why not live it with some nice watches? Congrats!
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 11:32 AM   #34
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
I'd get the CB now and stay on the list for the 15202. I'm a big FPJ fan, so would take that over the AP anyway, but you'll have a great watch to wear for 9 months and then decide which you really like once the 15202 comes in.
This.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 02:24 PM   #35
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKO View Post
Great choice DGB. Wish I was as decisive as you :)

mike.k: I got my CB last year from the West Hollywood boutique. Those guys are great.

In regards to service costs, there was discussion about this HERE ($1400 including a new strap)
Hi KKO, as I said life is too short. And thanks for the link, I did not notice it.
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 05:27 PM   #36
tng11
"TRF" Member

I picked up mine at the Geneva boutique yesterday and I would have a hard time deciding between the two. They compliment each other very well, and it's hard to imagine only having one or the other given their strengths mentioned above.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:39 PM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I picked up mine at the Geneva boutique yesterday and I would have a hard time deciding between the two. They compliment each other very well, and it's hard to imagine only having one or the other given their strengths mentioned above.
still waiting on the incoming thread...

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 02:13 AM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Old 24 May 2018, 03:14 AM   #39
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

It's going to be a lengthy one! The boutique staff really made it a special pickup and the manufacture tour was really cool.
Old 24 May 2018, 03:18 AM   #40
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Then yesterday I went to FP Journe boutique and saw a Chronomètre Bleu, and .... OMG how nice this watch is. It is ready available to pick up immediately, to my knowledge there is a 6 months waiting for this one also.

How are you able to pick it up immediately from a boutique if there is a 6 month waiting list? Also, FWIW, I think the waiting list is more like a year+ now.
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 03:19 AM   #41
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's going to be a lengthy one!
Old 24 May 2018, 04:08 AM   #42
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Had the 15202, amazing and iconic watch but I found it didn't pop in person as well as in pics and the lack of better WR on a watch with a bracelet was a bit of a disappointment.
AP was very very comfortable however there is a range of wrist size that is optimum and this watch should be tried on before purchase.

Picked up Chrono bleu yesterday and I am extremely happy with it.
I like both, but I think I prefer the FPJ. I've just emptied my coffers on something else, so I'm talking from the sidelines!
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 06:51 AM   #43
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
How are you able to pick it up immediately from a boutique if there is a 6 month waiting list? Also, FWIW, I think the waiting list is more like a year+ now.
It was pure luck, I just wanted to have a look at some Journe watches, and the sales guy said there is a Chrono Bleu, at first I thought it was already sold waiting to be picked up, the man went for a few minutes and came back with the beauty and then he said it is available now, mine If I wanted to.
The dilemma was that my mindset was for a 15202 as I was told mine was coming toward the end of the year and my next one would be the CB.
Thanks to the folks of TRF, I made up my mind to get it now.
Old 1 June 2018, 11:41 PM   #44
tng11
"TRF" Member

After 10 days of wearing the CB exclusively, I have even greater difficulty choosing between the two.

The beauty of the CB is that I worry a lot less about scratching the bezel or bracelet, and it feels a lot less delicate than the AP. The ability to change straps up is something I really like - and I could see wearing it for weeks in a row without getting bored, whereas the 15202 would bore me after a few days. And the thing that really irritates me about the 15202 is that if I don't wear it for a few days, having to change the date is a real PITA.

The AP has the nicer and more complicated finish to admire, but the pitfall is that it creates stress for me while wearing, and all that metal has a tendency to irritate my wrist on hot days. With the CB, I can leave it on all day and not stress about it, and the heft is just right to remind me it's still sitting on the wrist.

In summary - I think the AP is a great piece to look at and admire, but not the most practical daily wearer, while the CB is a piece that is practical and very wearable in most of my daily life situations.
Old 2 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #45
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the 10-day update! I must agree with you entirely, after alternating the FPJCB with one other watch for the past year.

I’ve some issues with watches hanging off your wrist, sometimes even with our wrist being prominently exposed through the lugs. These are pet peeves I’ve had to suppress with other watches I own; not with the CB!

The CB dial is also more like a black dial to bright blue dial depending on the lighting which adds to the versatility of the watch like an impressionistic painting.

Regardless, choosing between the FPJCB and 15202 is an incredibly difficult feat. The pricing on FPJ, although not a factor for me in ots purchase has been strange lately in the second markey ranging from 24-30K, comparable to the 15202. Makes you wonder if this 15202 vs FPJ CB conversation will continue in the future.
jh8cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:08 AM   #46
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh8cw View Post
Regardless, choosing between the FPJCB and 15202 is an incredibly difficult feat. The pricing on FPJ, although not a factor for me in ots purchase has been strange lately in the second markey ranging from 24-30K, comparable to the 15202. Makes you wonder if this 15202 vs FPJ CB conversation will continue in the future.
New both have similar price with just 100€ difference. Pre-owned it seems they keep well there value. Obviously you will find much more 15202’s than CB’s on the net.
Old 3 June 2018, 02:22 AM   #47
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New both have similar price with just 100€ difference. Pre-owned it seems they keep well there value. Obviously you will find much more 15202’s than CB’s on the net.
It's quite interesting how they're at similar price points at MSRP and they've moved to similar price points on the secondary market too. The AP price spike began earlier, whereas the CB price spike only really began a few months ago (that said, both had been on gradual increases over the last 2 years.)

Blue is hot right now, and the CB seems to be getting the recognition it deserves. It really is a piece worth the wait.
Old 3 June 2018, 04:33 AM   #48
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's quite interesting how they're at similar price points at MSRP and they've moved to similar price points on the secondary market too. The AP price spike began earlier, whereas the CB price spike only really began a few months ago (that said, both had been on gradual increases over the last 2 years.)

Blue is hot right now, and the CB seems to be getting the recognition it deserves. It really is a piece worth the wait.
I think it’s all related to the Patek 5711 scarcity and price increase.

When the 5711 started to become really difficult to buy, many (including me) started to look to alternatives. The obvious choice for many (including me) was the Patek 5712. Then that watch started to become nearly as difficult to buy from an AD so, for many, the search continued. The AP 15202 was the next most obvious choice, so that watch became harder to buy new, so the secondary price increased. The next choice for many was the Journe CB. So now that price is starting to increase substantially on the secondary market.

What’s next? Well, find yourself an interesting blue dial watch with minimal complications for less than $25,000 USD and you’ll have your answer.

AP 15400: already starting to see the availability decrease and price increase, but it is a much thicker and bigger watch than the Patek 5711/12, AP 15202 or Journe CB.

Patek 5167: not a blue dial and although initially there was a bump in price and difficulty in acquiring, its price on the secondary market seems to have plateaued a bit.

VC Overseas: A little bit larger than the others and for whatever reason(s), doesn’t seem to draw the same demand as the others above.

Am I missing any other contenders? If not, the prices will likely continue to rise for both the AP 15202 and Journe CB as the current secondary pricing of more than $45,000 USD for a Patek 5711/12 is still well above the $27,000 USD - $32,000 USD secondary prices for the AP or Journe— making them relative bargains at current pricing. If you are willing to wait 1-2 years to buy them new from an AD (an option generally not available for a 5711/12), the retail pricing for a new AP 15202 or Journe CB of approximately $23,000 USD is approximately 50% the cost of a used 5711/12 and a relative steal!
Old 3 June 2018, 07:01 AM   #49
DGB
"TRF" Member

Interesting analysis Debner4, I agree that the top 3 simple blue dial are the PP, the AP and the CB.
Maybe one day I’ll be able to have this blue trinity
Old 3 June 2018, 07:12 AM   #50
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
I think it’s all related to the Patek 5711 scarcity and price increase.

When the 5711 started to become really difficult to buy, many (including me) started to look to alternatives. The obvious choice for many (including me) was the Patek 5712. Then that watch started to become nearly as difficult to buy from an AD so, for many, the search continued. The AP 15202 was the next most obvious choice, so that watch became harder to buy new, so the secondary price increased. The next choice for many was the Journe CB. So now that price is starting to increase substantially on the secondary market.

What’s next? Well, find yourself an interesting blue dial watch with minimal complications for less than $25,000 USD and you’ll have your answer.

AP 15400: already starting to see the availability decrease and price increase, but it is a much thicker and bigger watch than the Patek 5711/12, AP 15202 or Journe CB.

Patek 5167: not a blue dial and although initially there was a bump in price and difficulty in acquiring, its price on the secondary market seems to have plateaued a bit.

VC Overseas: A little bit larger than the others and for whatever reason(s), doesn’t seem to draw the same demand as the others above.

Am I missing any other contenders? If not, the prices will likely continue to rise for both the AP 15202 and Journe CB as the current secondary pricing of more than $45,000 USD for a Patek 5711/12 is still well above the $27,000 USD - $32,000 USD secondary prices for the AP or Journe— making them relative bargains at current pricing. If you are willing to wait 1-2 years to buy them new from an AD (an option generally not available for a 5711/12), the retail pricing for a new AP 15202 or Journe CB of approximately $23,000 USD is approximately 50% the cost of a used 5711/12 and a relative steal!
This analysis seems to make sense!

I think it's incredible that Journe is up there is the big leagues beside AP and PP in high demand watches, considering how small their manufacture is relative to the 2.

One key difference is that I don't think Journe is artifically restricting supply like AP and PP are doing in part. The CB dials are notoriously hard to manufacture, and they had problems over the last year keeping up with demand in part due to that.
Old 3 June 2018, 07:25 AM   #51
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
I'd get the CB now and stay on the list for the 15202. I'm a big FPJ fan, so would take that over the AP anyway, but you'll have a great watch to wear for 9 months and then decide which you really like once the 15202 comes in.
This. Prices for CB are doing pretty well (now at least) so should be fairly easy to seep in 9mnths.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
This analysis seems to make sense!

I think it's incredible that Journe is up there is the big leagues beside AP and PP in high demand watches, considering how small their manufacture is relative to the 2.

One key difference is that I don't think Journe is artifically restricting supply like AP and PP are doing in part. The CB dials are notoriously hard to manufacture, and they had problems over the last year keeping up with demand in part due to that.
I understand the problems meeting demand were the result of an house hiccup.
Old 3 June 2018, 03:03 PM   #53
KKO
"TRF" Member

I agree Debner.... a rising tide lifts all boats although I still see CBs come up on the 2nd hand market at or close to list and unspoken for a few days. I don't see that happen with the 15202. Those would get snapped up like $17k DaytonaCs.

subtona - I've also heard that there was a hiccup with the Bleu dials in the past year which which limited the CB output. Even then, I don't think FPJ would get to a place where they make 250-300 CBs a year without completely cutting off production at the top end of the line and alienating the current customer base.
KKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 01:34 AM   #54
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Demand for the CB has skyrocketed in the past 6 months to a point where FPJ are asking those interested to fill out an application form. They say this is to get an accurate count of how many are interested in buying one, and will not have any bearing on who gets one.

When I first walked into an FPJ boutique about a year ago, they had a CB available for sale. Now the lists in the 3 US boutiques alone total more than 100. And they only produce around 100 CBs a year.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 01:47 AM   #55
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Very cool watch!
Very bad pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7279.JPG (146.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 4 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Some people think TRF has no influence, but I increasingly do as it's the largest luxury watch forum online, and so interesting that the watches we think are hot, the market tend to too. That's my simpler answer to Debner4's analysis.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:32 AM   #57
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Some people think TRF has no influence, but I increasingly do as it's the largest luxury watch forum online, and so interesting that the watches we think are hot, the market tend to too. That's my simpler answer to Debner4's analysis.

I believe it Neil! The recent surge in 5164 and 5990 demand leads me to believe there is some TRF effect out there. Especially because these pieces are in such short supply - it doesn't take that many pieces to create a material uptick.
Old 4 June 2018, 04:42 AM   #58
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I remember about a year ago a lot of people were divided on the 5990. As soon as the 5711/12 increases prices everyone started liking the 5990.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 08:53 PM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I believe it Neil! The recent surge in 5164 and 5990 demand leads me to believe there is some TRF effect out there. Especially because these pieces are in such short supply - it doesn't take that many pieces to create a material uptick.
Yes, truth is price action plays such an important part in buying many models now that just looking at wrists or ADs or pics on line is not enough any more, people need more info and some sort of market analysis and boy do we have a lot of analysts on here now!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:00 PM   #60
DGB
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone,

I did open another post about the new watch but just wanted to thanks you for helping me decide.
Here it is.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk