The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 December 2010, 07:20 AM   #1
allegedly
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Sea Dweller
My Seadweller

Hi guys, Rob here, new-ish member. Posted these pics along with my 'new' 6427 on the vintage section where I was asking for advice regarding the serial numbers, or lack of, on the 6427.
I guess the condition may not sit well with some but I am a professional diver and it's gone where I have for over 20 years. Part of me now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7977 (2).jpg (136.8 KB, 3037 views)
allegedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 07:23 AM   #2
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Didn't realise how battered it had become until I took these pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7978.jpg (94.5 KB, 2986 views)
Old 16 December 2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Character! Just the way they should be!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Bought in Hatton Garden in London in the early eighties, only watch I've ever owned or worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7979.jpg (96.3 KB, 2966 views)
Old 16 December 2010, 07:37 AM   #5
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Thanks Chris,
I guess it was a tool of the trade in many ways and shows it now. I need to replace the spring bar I think it's called, between the clasp and the bracelet but in fairness the clasp is original too and the holes are getting a bit worn so eventually I think I'll have to replace that but having found this site, I realise I ought to ask for the clasp back from the repairer.
Wish I'd done that with the links when I got them replaced several years ago in Gibraltar but I didn't know diddly about the 'collecting' side of Rolexes (?) but having read a fair bit now on here I'm learning and enjoying the air of enthusiasm and knowledge.
By the way, please feel free to check out my post on the vintage section where I'm looking for advice and any info on my new purchase, which is destined to be a present to my eldest daughter.
Regards
Rob
Old 16 December 2010, 07:58 AM   #6
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I love it!
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
We stories like this!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 09:17 AM   #8
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Thanks Chris and John.
Not much of a story really, was trained as a Diver in the Royal Navy in the mid 70's, entered the commercial diving world in the very early 80's.
My old man was a Diver and I always wanted a Rolex after seeing Sean Connery in the Bond movies when I was a lad, especially Thunderball....knew then I was going to be a Diver and own a Rolex, regardless of what my Dad said!
So, after checking out various Submariners, I was offered the Seadweller in a shop in London one winters morning. Bit more expensive than the Sub but I went for a stroll about town to mull it over. The gas escape valve was what tipped the balance so I went back and bought it, just over £700, a lot of cash in those days but hey, I was a rich young Diver, just back from Saudi, Porsche, suntanned and with a wodge of cash burning a hole in my pocket and my liver!
And it's still on my wrist. Porsche is long gone, along with the hair and most of my hearing! Drive an old Landrover now and live on the side of a mountain in Scotland. Still in the job, though I don't get wet much now, I spend most of my time on the end of the 'comms box' talking to some young bloke doing what I used to do and try and make it easy for him.
Like a lot of guys in this job, I've been rich and I've been poor in the lean times but I resisted selling my watch. Even my ex wife refused to let it go when we were, as we say here, on the bones of our arse. I think it was her saying "it's almost part of your (me) identity" that made me realise I would never part with it. Done a lot, seen a lot and been to a lot of unpleasant places and it was always with me. Guess it'll go to my son eventually. May help him get onto the ridiculous housing market ladder here in the UK. As long as it's useful, eh?! Rob
Old 16 December 2010, 09:24 AM   #9
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
You're watch carries a great story Rob. I sincerely hope you're son never needs to have the SD do anything other than sit on his wrist. if I were him I'd be exceptionally proud to receive it one day!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 09:40 AM   #10
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Cheers for the sentiments Dalip, and I genuinely hope that is the case. I've got a lot of pleasure from being the 'keeper' of this old watch over the years and it'd be nice to think it'll continue to do so for him but I'm nothing if not a pragmatist!
I think I'd get it serviced and cleaned up for him first, let him see it in it's 'new' form, as I did, before it starts to carry the imprints of his life as it does mine at the moment. I'm as battered looking as it is!
Old 16 December 2010, 09:43 AM   #11
psv
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing that personal story! Hold on to that watch!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 10:00 AM   #12
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

Thanks psv and yes I will. It'd be like selling off an old mate. Couldn't do that. In fact, I've just bought an older watch, a 6427 which I've posted on the vintage section and will be my way of introducing my eldest daughter into the quality that is Rolex. She likes slightly larger than ladies jewelry and the size is good. I'm just trying to get any info I can on it but I need to send it away to a reputable watch maker here in the UK to be cleaned up a little and get some more info on it as the serial marks etc are not visible between the lugs.
But this is a start. I'm not particularly wealthy but I've decided to get each of my children a Rolex, including my step kids from my new marriage. So, with the one I've just bought and my own, thats five left to get, at one a year! Old ones obviously but I think they'll appreciate the history and pedigree of the pieces and hopefully, in time and when I'm just a name in a story used to justify bad behaviour, ("Well, Grand dad did it!" ), pass them on to their children. I like the idea of kind of 'reaching through time' to my grand and great grand kids. No pun intended there!
Rob
Old 16 December 2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I'd like to see before & after photos after a trip to the RSC..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2010, 03:10 PM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Wow, lots of character!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2010, 07:15 AM   #15
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My Seadweller

I will post them as well Rags. The last time they had it, it came back looking like new.
Thanks seadweller, just a reflection of its life.
Thanks to everyone who's commented, great spirit and enthusiasm on this forum.
Cheers
Rob
Old 19 December 2010, 12:07 PM   #16
allegedly
"TRF" Member

my seadweller

One point I forgot to mention, though not regularly serviced, (think you may have noticed that!), the watch keeps excellent time, despite having had a very hard life. A testament to the quality that is Rolex I guess though I know I don't have to say that on here. I have however, regularly been asked by friends in the 'biz' why I "wear such an expensive watch to work?". Easy answer, in over twenty years I've only bought one watch....how many Seiko's and G Shocks etc have you spent your hard earned beer tokens on in that time? Not to mention the 'going out, dress watches?
Cheers
Rob
Old 20 December 2010, 02:49 AM   #17
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegedly View Post
.... I've got a lot of pleasure from being the 'keeper' of this old watch over the years and it'd be nice to think it'll continue to do so for him but I'm nothing if not a pragmatist!
I think I'd get it serviced and cleaned up for him first, let him see it in it's 'new' form, as I did, before it starts to carry the imprints of his life as it does mine at the moment. I'm as battered looking as it is!
Loved this post.

thanks for sharing this watch and more importantly, the story that goes with.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2010, 12:22 PM   #18
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Yr SD put mine to shame...mine's squeaky clean...LOL

Great testimony there..!
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2010, 04:09 AM   #19
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
F A N T A S T I C post.

Great pics.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2010, 08:17 AM   #20
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My seadweller

Thanks Trailblazer and Tony, must admit I'm a little surprised at the response to an ordinary life and I'm certain there are many, more interesting, strories linked to the watch/es in peoples lives, within this forum.
I'd put a question in the 'tech' section re spring bars, the one joining the clasp to the links was about to go. Well, it went! Can't complain after two and a half decades!
So, temporary black leather strap on so I can keep wearing it. Looks bloody weird after all this time! To my eye, it looks a completely different watch and I can't quite decide if I like the look.
It sounds odd to say it but I keep catching myself looking at it.....
Think I may take a pic and repost.
Cheers
Rob
Old 22 December 2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Great story Rob. It is good to see a watch that has been used for its intended purpose. Welcome to TRF.
Old 24 December 2010, 11:49 AM   #22
allegedly
"TRF" Member

My seadweller

Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome and the comments, excellent site and excellent contributors. I have learnt more about my watch in a few months of reading here than in twenty five years of wearing!
I had no idea the 16660 ( I only learnt that a short while ago! ) was such a popular watch. I bought mine because I liked it the most! Having seen so many pristine examples I almost feel guilty at the way I've treated mine but it has just been my watch. Simple as that.
My eldest daughter is coming up to Scotland from the south of England for Hogmany (New Years Eve to everyone else ) celebrations and I've got the 6427 to give her as her belated Christmas present. This will be the beginning of my introducing all my children to the pleasure of Rolex ownership. Looking forward to it!
Happy Chrismas to all on here and to those who can't be.
Cheers
Rob
Old 25 December 2010, 03:57 AM   #23
Clay
Banned

Good stuff......
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2010, 05:52 AM   #24
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Great story Rob, this is what these watches are all about, they can take what you throw at them and then some.
Stay warm on your hillside these holidays (I have family on a hillside near Newton Stewart doing the same)
Old 25 December 2010, 06:08 AM   #25
josh6262

Watch: Rolex Daytona 6262
Rob,

I loved reading your story. I can almost visualize you down deep in the Gulf with that watch on you 20 years ago. I almost want to run out and get one just because a guy like you exists. I bet if the owners of Rolex S.A. heard your story they would just sigh and smile with content. Also, love the term "beer tokens". Thanks -josh
josh6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2010, 04:15 AM   #26
allegedly
"TRF" Member

my seadweller

Thanks for the comments Clay, Phil and Josh and a Happy Christmas to you too! Out in the snow visiting the 'clan' up here today and now sitting with a dram in the warm!
The 'boss' is happy with her pressie so alls well in my world. She's always loved Bryan Ferry from Roxy Music (old Brit band) so I got her an autographed CD, an autographed music sheet of one of the tracks off said CD and a pic of the man himself. Well, you may ask what has that to do with this site....? Bryan is wearing a nice old Rolex in the pic. Funny how things kind of tie in, eh?
As for 'beer tokens' Josh, been using that phrase for years and has always justified my actions or dictated them! I'll have to go offshore again now I've decided to give all the offspring a rolex to get necessary beer tokens to do it!
Have a great holiday all,
Cheers
Rob
Old 1 January 2011, 11:12 PM   #27
dave thomas
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
what a great story rob,it made me laugh a few times pal, my diver pal had a seadweller back in 1983 after seeing it and wanting one ever since,i bit the bullet this year and got a none date sub.

ALE MASTER AT THE TRF AFTER DARK" BAR AND NIGHT CLUB...
dave thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2011, 05:47 AM   #28
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
great Sea Dweller. Nice
Old 3 January 2011, 12:17 AM   #29
nk416

Watch: PAM088 / DeepSea
... as it should be used. Send that to RSC and it will look as new.
nk416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2011, 08:44 AM   #30
Ceathreamhnan
"TRF" Member

I feel embarrassed to wear my Seadweller after seeing your post!
Ceathreamhnan is offline   Reply With Quote