The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 April 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Watch: NDSub/PAM176/R1931
I have PAM fever! Rx for relief?

Hi guys,

I have always lusted after panerai after my WIS friend introduced me to them in college. I was poor college kid with no money, and a nice watch was only a dream. Fast forward, I've worked hard and after much delay, its time for gratification!

Aesthetically I like clean uncluttered, timeless and old school in watches. I recently bought a 14060 no date submariner, and love the clean look of the dial and its the closest to the first subs.

My question is, what is the closest PAM in the~6k or less range to the first PAM? The "no date sub" of the panerai world?
I am looking at titanium models (Don't like shiny blingy steel, want light weight, like my ND sub), 44 mm, though I understand the first pams were 47mm, I have tiny wrists and dont want to pay 20K for 47 mm, and 40 mm is too small (this is panerai after all), gotta be true - manual wind.

Did the first pams (I mean 1930's 1940's) have second subdials?... Im thinking 000 is the most basic. Or is the 111 style closer to the original?

I am really torn between 176 and 177. I want seconds, but i understand the 177 seconds don't really hack, and you cant really tell the actual seconds by the tiny subdial, like you can on a submariner, so seconds is a not useful complication on this style of PAM? The argument for seconds i hear is that people want to be able to tell if the watch is "dead" or not. Since it has a clear case back, you could still tell if a 176 is "dead" or not by looking at the movement through the back, right?

Pro of the 176 is the clean symmetric look, but its not COSC certified right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!
dimitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 10:16 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
176 is an excellent Ti base panerai. The 6497 movement is a robust machine and very capable of COSC specs with regulation (if necessary). Excellent first choice. I'd also strongly recommend looking at the 351.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
176 is an excellent Ti base panerai. The 6497 movement is a robust machine and very capable of COSC specs with regulation (if necessary). Excellent first choice. I'd also strongly recommend looking at the 351.
Is there a titanium version of the 351 with no date?
Old 30 April 2012, 03:13 AM   #4
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
177 is nice... get both:) I would...

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

I'd look at Radiomirs also. They are not heavy at all. 210 is the best value Panerai out there if you want a historic homage IMHO.

They also wear smaller than 44mm Luminors even though they are 45mm.

mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2012, 08:14 AM   #6
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I'd look at Radiomirs also. They are not heavy at all. 210 is the best value Panerai out there if you want a historic homage IMHO.

They also wear smaller than 44mm Luminors even though they are 45mm.

Thanks guys, I ended up getting a 176.... I totally love it. Now looking for straps... I want to be able to wear it with both black and brown.... Its super light (feels even lighter than my 14060m). I think that the black face lends itself to a black strap, but still looks awesome with browns.

Now for straps, what do you guys think about Micah's straps? Hand made, custom made to YOUR specs... reasonable price considering. I need a nice black strap and maybe a beater brown strap...

And for a second PAM -what do you guys think about the 390.... I like the base, gold hands, and tobacco dial. Its relatively affordable. With limited numbers, will it be collectible? But does it look OK with a black strap? I think the tobacco dial and gold hands on the 390 look awesome with brown, but haven't seen one with a black strap. With my tiny wrists I could never pull off a 372 (IMO that is the essence of a PAM. Panerissimo! )

I told my wife about the 176 AFTER it was delivered. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Since getting a PAM my PAM fever is getting worse!
Help!!!
Old 30 April 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Okay here are my thoughts.. First of all, congrats on the 176, fantastic piece.

I had PAM fever too, but quickly got bored of how similar they seemed to be... Just didn't excite me after a while so downsized the PAMily... Have a 162, 360, 380, 2 390's at the moment...

My thoughts quickly!

44mm Luminor's or awesome. In your position, I may try to diversify to get different tastes of Panerai.. Meaning your 44m Luminor and a Radiomir, or a 1950 case piece (like my ex 359) or something.. Just nice to experience and own slight variations to keep things fresh and not monotone.

If you DO have the opportunity for a 390 however, go for it. They will be a collectible, they are GORGEOUS in person, and well worth it IMO ! As for your question about the black strap, I think it will look great on a black strap indeed, especially a vintage cracked black. I have a vintage cracked black, brown and golden.. I haven't done a strap change however yet and only tried my one piece on ! The other i'm holding onto (still on the fence however) as I rather have another piece to wear, but.. oh well

As for the 380, I fell in love with it. My first RAD, loved the logo on the dial, it just oozed class and a different style of Panerai.. And for the price? Unbeatable and the best value IMO for a base Panerai regular release !

Here are some quick pic's

iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote