The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2020, 04:53 AM   #1
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

The Omega Boutique Vibe

Been meaning to write this for a while. Just wanted to say that out of all the watch shops I occasionally have a chance to enter, the local Omega Boutique is the best experience. Staff extremely friendly and encouraging. I’ve taken a few Omegas there that were purchased elsewhere, and they sized them for free, and with enthusiasm. No purchase history with the boutique at all (at least not yet!). They are equally happy to let me try on whatever I’d like, with no pressure to buy. Even have recommended that I hold off on certain models until anticipated updates occur. Feel like a million bucks every time without having spent anything.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 05:29 AM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Whenever I go to my local Omega boutique it always had the feel of going to a bar to chat with friends while the Rolex boutique felt really serious and professional like walking into a meeting at work with the Board or upper management. Just a different vibe.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 06:08 AM   #3
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
The Omega boutiques now are what the old mom and pop Rolex dealers were back in the day. You can go in browse with no pressure to buy and even do free sizing and small repairs on your watch with little or no charge. Rolex dealers now are cold and not inviting at all. Almost like a "take or leave it" attitude with no personal connection to you at all.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 06:24 AM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang427 View Post
the omega boutiques now are what the old mom and pop rolex dealers were back in the day. You can go in browse with no pressure to buy and even do free sizing and small repairs on your watch with little or no charge. Rolex dealers now are cold and not inviting at all. Almost like a "take or leave it" attitude with no personal connection to you at all.
+1
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Yep, agreed and nice observation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 08:05 AM   #6
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I had the same experience with my local Omega Boutique. I could tell they were watch enthusiasts and enjoyed talking watches with a great attitude. I love my AD that sells Rolex and Omega so would have a hard time steering away but luckily with wanting a Snoopy 3 it’s not really an issue :)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 09:36 AM   #7
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I had a good experience buying a nato from a large Omega boutique downtown. Good experience, nice chat, fitted the nato and the SA complimented the watch and encouraged me to start an Omega collection lol but in good humour.

In defence of Rolex ADs, imagine working there and all you can tell customers is variations on "Sorry, no can do" "It will be a long wait" ""You can join the 5 year wait list" etc. It has got to get tiring.
Old 11 October 2020, 10:04 AM   #8
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
The only Rolex Boutique I've come across is the one in Bellevue Washington. The door is locked, there's a security guard standing right there, no customers inside and 3 or 4 sales people all dressed to the nines (and this was before COVID). I was too intimidated to even go in, didn't want to get the hard sell or be sneered at for looking (like they do in the Rolex ADs - at least until I dropped some coin there). Now I'm probably being unfair to them since I didn't go in, so maybe they're as sweet as apple pie. But the vibe when you walk by was not welcoming. (But that's the same way with that entire mall, "The Bravern" -- aspiring to be snooty it seems!).

Too bad there aren't any near me in SF Peninsula, at least that I know of. There are chains like C&H that sell about 20 brands including Omega, but they don't seem to have a huge Omega selection, or at least not speedmasters.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:37 AM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Last time I went to an Omega boutique was early this year in Lisbon on their new boutique at av. liberdade. Great experience all around.
pic from web.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (103.3 KB, 788 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 12:54 PM   #10
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Recently went to my first one on 5th Ave in NYC and really had a good experience. Went to buy an adjustable clasp for my Speedy and walked out with everything I needed. Staff were very friendly and the shop looked top notch, very luxurious feeling but not intimidating.

I had to visit Rolex service center a few times in the past and it's a completely opposite experience. Have to check in with security downstairs and take an escalator up then you have to check in with the receptionist before you are called. They also will laugh in your face if you ask to purchase a clasp not meant for your watch, let alone install it for you.

This experience definitely won Omega some brownie points. Will go back for sure.
Old 11 October 2020, 12:55 PM   #11
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang427 View Post
the omega boutiques now are what the old mom and pop rolex dealers were back in the day. You can go in browse with no pressure to buy and even do free sizing and small repairs on your watch with little or no charge. Rolex dealers now are cold and not inviting at all. Almost like a "take or leave it" attitude with no personal connection to you at all.
+2
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 01:06 PM   #12
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

In the age of social media, it’s been perfect for a brand like Rolex were one of the major points is prestige.

We have been in a boom the last decade as well, fueling lots of 20 y/o on luxury watches and primarily flocking to Rolex.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 10 years. Omega is treating the customers right.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
In the age of social media, it’s been perfect for a brand like Rolex were one of the major points is prestige.

We have been in a boom the last decade as well, fueling lots of 20 y/o on luxury watches and primarily flocking to Rolex.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 10 years. Omega is treating the customers right.

I think the crown is in danger of alienating its customer base. Take a look at any of their social media posts and they get absolutely slated.

The problem, to a large extent, is that social media has (and continues) to fuel the fire. Every youtuber admits that the only way to get eyeballs is to mention Rolex. The likes of Hodinkee and Revolution fawn over every single watch release.

It just becomes an echo chamber.

I do think though that people will wake up one day and realise there's more to life than chasing down a hard to get watch - and that's where Omega and similar brands come in.

You can get almost any watch you desire almost immediately and the customer service anywhere I've been with Omega has been second to none. The treatment at any Rolex dealer (mostly) is abysmal and you're made to feel like an idiot even asking for something remotely hard to get.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 05:42 PM   #14
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Digital is prime. Whoever owns digital presence and mindshare, will own the market. That’s Rolex.

I do hate I can’t walk in and buy what I want, but no denying that for every me, there’s 10,000 chasing a hot Rolex SS piece and which is a sign they’re winning.
Old 11 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Omega fan and appreciate the watches for what they are. Some can even be argued to be better than Rolex depending on what you are measuring in the comparison. Customer service has always been strong at Omega dating back for me to the late 1980's or early 1990's. Rolex and Omega are very different companies and do things as such. It is nice to get friendly service as a rule and not the exception.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #16
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Omega yesterday at the boutique in So.Cal.

What a pleasure it was. Went there twice over the last week. The salesman was so poised and professional and friendly. The store is very nice, and the watch was the one I wanted after a long search.

Was looking for a yellow gold dress watch. Rolex does not even have one (new). I looked at many brands and was willing to spend. I was 100% headed towards a gold daydate 40, but when I got close, I was concerned it was just too loud and I would end up concealing it at work and more. I had to admit, I can love it, but probably not own it. Similar to a corvette, for me.

So, the yellow gold Globemaster Constellation wins. Wow. It’s perfect. A dress watch, with a vintage nod, but more presence than the average dresser. I am very happy!

Omega, and the boutique, won over this lifelong Rolex guy.
And I am already headed back for the other one I want. Can’t wear the gold for after work activities. Need that Aqua Terra with rubber strap !

Can’t seem to post a pic, but here’s a link....

https://omegaforums.net/threads/happ...-owner.121036/

Thanks folks!
Loving Omega.
Sorry Rolex, Omega wins.
2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 09:47 AM   #17
The Continental
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang427 View Post
The Omega boutiques now are what the old mom and pop Rolex dealers were back in the day. You can go in browse with no pressure to buy and even do free sizing and small repairs on your watch with little or no charge. Rolex dealers now are cold and not inviting at all. Almost like a "take or leave it" attitude with no personal connection to you at all.
They are what the Mom and Pop dealers use to be with one big difference........no discounts!!!

As to your second point, I find most Rolex dealers in my area of SoCal, just as nice and friendly as anywhere else. They can't help it if they often have to say "no" to if a certain watch is in stock. I have relationships with 3 ADs in SoCal and the ones I don't, are just as friendly!
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 10:07 AM   #18
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Agree with so many points in this thread. Most not all Rolex ADs in my area always have their guard up and dance around your questions when you ask about stainless steel sport watches.

This week I went into my OB to put my name down for the Snoopy Speedy with absolute zero buying history. Today I put down a deposit and secured my spot, the sales associate was legit happy for me that I got to secure a spot since he saw that I was a true watch enthusiast.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2020, 12:41 PM   #19
T4RPXAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I may be in the minority, but I cannot say enough good things about my Rolex AD. Recently acquired the 126610LN and couldn’t be happier. It is a family owned place with a very personal touch. Absolutely top notch.

No complaints from Omega either. Always a positive experience. Purchased the 2220.80.00, PO8500, and SMP8800

Suppose it depends on the AD and the purchaser.

Rolex for the win IMO
268622 (wife’s)
T4RPXAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 04:40 AM   #20
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
They are what the Mom and Pop dealers use to be with one big difference........no discounts!!!

As to your second point, I find most Rolex dealers in my area of SoCal, just as nice and friendly as anywhere else. They can't help it if they often have to say "no" to if a certain watch is in stock. I have relationships with 3 ADs in SoCal and the ones I don't, are just as friendly!

Congrats - love that 2nd pic!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 04:56 AM   #21
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I have only experienced excellent service in Omega boutiques, with most of my time in the Chicago boutique. Super friendly, try on anything, and you can just spend some time chatting it up with the staff without any pressure to buy. Even better, if you do want to buy something, you can almost always get what you want with the exception of some pieces. Maybe part of the reason they are so friendly is that they get to tell customers "yes" more than "no".
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 04:51 PM   #22
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
The impression I get is that Omega staff have an appreciation for watches and most Rolex staff have a superiority complex and are only interested in selling watches. Try wearing a Grand Seiko into both and see the kind of comments you receive.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:51 PM   #23
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Omega reps know that they have to make up ground if they want to get to where Rolex is. Omega has products that are just as good if not better than Rolex. Problem is getting the message across.

Or do we really want them to get that message across?
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 06:47 AM   #24
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
The impression I get is that Omega staff have an appreciation for watches and most Rolex staff have a superiority complex and are only interested in selling watches. Try wearing a Grand Seiko into both and see the kind of comments you receive.

Haha, did this very thing. Had my GS and visited both boutiques on the same day...Omega SA complimented me on the watch, not a peep out of a Rolex SA. A data set of 1 in both cases, but funny, nonetheless.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 06:52 AM   #25
"TRF" Member

I was so pleased with my experience at the Omega Boutique who I bought my first one last Saturday, that I returned on Sunday... and bought another !

The convinced this lifelong Rolex guy to switch over.

Could.Not.Be.Happier.
2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 06:55 AM   #26
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Haha, did this very thing. Had my GS and visited both boutiques on the same day...Omega SA complimented me on the watch, not a peep out of a Rolex SA. A data set of 1 in both cases, but funny, nonetheless.

It’s funny because this happened to me twice. Not like I’m testing them but it was noticeable. Both different cities. Omega was interested in seeing it and talking about it and with Rolex it might as well have been a Casio. I wonder if they’re trained to not recognize any watch that isn’t a Rolex.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 07:06 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That's awesome, and seems many of the single-brand botiques i've visited have been wonderful! JLC in Vegas is also an excellent experience imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 10:25 AM   #28
gastown604
"TRF" Member

The boutique in my area helped me swapping my moon watch's bracelet to NATO for free even though the watch was not purchased from them

The Rolex AD two blocks away wanted $20 for sizing because I didn't buy my Rolex from them.
gastown604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 06:41 PM   #29
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Omega boutiques are nice places to visit. they actually have stuff to see
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 08:58 PM   #30
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
The only Rolex Boutique I've come across is the one in Bellevue Washington. The door is locked, there's a security guard standing right there, no customers inside and 3 or 4 sales people all dressed to the nines (and this was before COVID). I was too intimidated to even go in, didn't want to get the hard sell or be sneered at for looking (like they do in the Rolex ADs - at least until I dropped some coin there). Now I'm probably being unfair to them since I didn't go in, so maybe they're as sweet as apple pie. But the vibe when you walk by was not welcoming. (But that's the same way with that entire mall, "The Bravern" -- aspiring to be snooty it seems!).

Too bad there aren't any near me in SF Peninsula, at least that I know of. There are chains like C&H that sell about 20 brands including Omega, but they don't seem to have a huge Omega selection, or at least not speedmasters.

-Dan
I'm assuming you meant to say "Omega boutique", not Rolex boutique, as there is no Rolex boutique at the Bravern.
In regards to the unwelcome feeling, it has changed over the last couple of years, after Will and Jake left the store. They were both watch enthusiasts and very approachable. I've been there many times to talk watches, all brands, and felt very welcome, Will knows a lot of Omega history. Unfortunately for we customers, they moved on to bigger and better things. I do still converse with them from time to time although it's been a while.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote