The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Phooi
"TRF" Member

In Monterey this weekend...

Is it worthwhile to stop by Fourtane?

For those who have gone, anything in particular I should be on the lookout for.

Thanks!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post

Thanks!
Yes. Lots of vintage Rolexes. They are very helpful and generally, if there are not a lot people in the store, and you look reputable, will allow you to try on various pieces.

There is a cowboy shop next door or around the corner that sells high-end, custom boots and hats. Also interesting. Then just walk down Ocean street and peruse the galleries and brick-a-brack shops.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 10:15 PM   #3
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely worth a visit! Great vintage inventory and nice people
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 11:36 PM   #4
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Totally worth it , one of the best AD's I've dealt with.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:34 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks!
I will be out there too but for the Indycar race at Laguna Seca. I only live about an hour from there so I have been to Fourtane many times. Their vintage collection is amazing. Many very desirable pieces which are a bit overpriced IMO but its hard to find a flaw on most of them. Their new inventory is the same story as most ADs so dont be disappointed if you dont find what you are looking for.
Old 21 September 2019, 12:49 AM   #6
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
One of my favorite ADs when in the Monterey/Carmel area. Janine is an absolute joy to speak to and talk watches. Their vintage Rolex selection is one of the nicest I have ever seen, and as far as modern, they have a nice inventory but no 'hot' pieces in SS. Enjoy!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #7
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Always worthwhile to stop in any AD.
StackLexus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:27 AM   #8
wsfarrell
"TRF" Member

They have some nice vintage stuff, but the prices are absurd. A lot of the vintage Rolexes in their shop have been there for years. If you look at their online site you'll see that they don't show prices---they want you to call so they can "engage" you in a dialog.
wsfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:13 AM   #9
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I’m hoping to stop by this weekend.

I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium today and saw someone wearing a vintage Pepsi. It was the first one I’ve seen in the wild. Beautiful day in Monterey so far!
Old 21 September 2019, 07:47 AM   #10
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks!
What are *you* on the look out for?

It's a nice shop, nice people...but what is the purpose of your visit? Browsing? Seeking a particular watch?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 07:49 AM   #11
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Well worth the stop to check out all the vintage goodies. And very nice people, as mentioned.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 12:38 PM   #12
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Take some pictures if you can of their stock. Curious what they have with all these great vintage stock reviews.
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:00 PM   #13
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
If you’re a vintage fan then it’s a must see. For new models, their inventory will be just like every other AD. Even if you strike out at Fourtane, you can make up for it at Dametra Cafe across the street.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:00 PM   #14
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Everything is great there.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:49 PM   #15
Phooi
"TRF" Member

LONG POST

I stopped by today just to browse and to see watches I’ve never seen before. I have to say that their reputation for service is real.

I stopped in with my family at the watch store and the place was very busy. My daughter, a “tween” discovered their vintage jewelry store next door. I chased after her since I didn’t want the sales staff to think why a little girl was wandering into their store alone. We met a sales associate, Carolyn, who was very generous with her time. She showed my daughter pieces 200 to 300 years old. When my wife caught up to us, Carolyn spent the over an hour showing my daughter and wife around the entire store and educating them about jewelry and gem stones. It’s rare to ever experience service like that anywhere.

I proceeded back to the watch side and spent that time looking at watches I’ve never seen in person. I started with new rolexes. They had quite a selection of new rolexes available. Of course they didn’t have any SS pro watches or a DaytonaC in white (which was what I’m always looking for). However, they did have a lot of other watches. I wasn’t sure if I should or could take pictures of their case so I didn’t. But here is a list of what I could remember:

- Quite a few SS DJs including a Wimbledon and blue dial with diamonds.
- bluesy, smurf, TT and PM skyDs, TT Daytonas, PM Daytonas (no platona)
- WG DD with white and olive dials (Roman) , YG DD in white (Roman), silver (Roman) and black (batons), Everose DD (rhodium)

They also had a quite a selection of vintage rolexes. While I don’t have any experience with vintage, my SA Carol Ann, suggested I start with a mint Coke. Honestly, I don’t think I’m ready to take that dive yet but I certainly enjoyed looking at their selection. Some highlights excluding the Coke was 2 Tiffany dialed Rolexes, a Rolex perpetual calendar, and a triple red sub (I think that’s what she called it).

Finally, I had a chance to see and try on some watches I’ve been interested in. One that I have been interested in has been a Cartier Santos L in blue and a skeleton. From pictures and in the case, they look huge. When I put them on, they were surprisingly comfortable and not big on my wrist. The other watch I wanted to see was a Tudor. I’ve only read about them here and had never seen one in person. I had a chance to try on a heritage BB midnight. What a nice watch in person and at such a reasonable price! Honestly I never thought much of Tudor but seeing it in person really changed my mind.

Overall, I’d say that Fourtane lived up to its reputation and would highly recommend it to anyone shopping for a watch. Thanks again for your input!
Old 21 September 2019, 08:38 PM   #16
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
LONG POST

I stopped by today just to browse and to see watches I’ve never seen before. I have to say that their reputation for service is real.

I stopped in with my family at the watch store and the place was very busy. My daughter, a “tween” discovered their vintage jewelry store next door. I chased after her since I didn’t want the sales staff to think why a little girl was wandering into their store alone. We met a sales associate, Carolyn, who was very generous with her time. She showed my daughter pieces 200 to 300 years old. When my wife caught up to us, Carolyn spent the over an hour showing my daughter and wife around the entire store and educating them about jewelry and gem stones. It’s rare to ever experience service like that anywhere.

I proceeded back to the watch side and spent that time looking at watches I’ve never seen in person. I started with new rolexes. They had quite a selection of new rolexes available. Of course they didn’t have any SS pro watches or a DaytonaC in white (which was what I’m always looking for). However, they did have a lot of other watches. I wasn’t sure if I should or could take pictures of their case so I didn’t. But here is a list of what I could remember:

- Quite a few SS DJs including a Wimbledon and blue dial with diamonds.

- bluesy, smurf, TT and PM skyDs, TT Daytonas, PM Daytonas (no platona)

- WG DD with white and olive dials (Roman) , YG DD in white (Roman), silver (Roman) and black (batons), Everose DD (rhodium)

They also had a quite a selection of vintage rolexes. While I don’t have any experience with vintage, my SA Carol Ann, suggested I start with a mint Coke. Honestly, I don’t think I’m ready to take that dive yet but I certainly enjoyed looking at their selection. Some highlights excluding the Coke was 2 Tiffany dialed Rolexes, a Rolex perpetual calendar, and a triple red sub (I think that’s what she called it).

Finally, I had a chance to see and try on some watches I’ve been interested in. One that I have been interested in has been a Cartier Santos L in blue and a skeleton. From pictures and in the case, they look huge. When I put them on, they were surprisingly comfortable and not big on my wrist. The other watch I wanted to see was a Tudor. I’ve only read about them here and had never seen one in person. I had a chance to try on a heritage BB midnight. What a nice watch in person and at such a reasonable price! Honestly I never thought much of Tudor but seeing it in person really changed my mind.

Overall, I’d say that Fourtane lived up to its reputation and would highly recommend it to anyone shopping for a watch. Thanks again for your input!

Glad you had a good experience. Take pics next time! Here's two piece I tried ok last year when I stopped by

Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:00 PM   #17
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Great selection and the staff are friendly. Definitely stop in.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #18
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I stopped in there last Friday while on a trip to Monterey. The salesperson Janine remembered my wife and I -- and we hadn't been there for two years! They are very nice and welcoming, and seem to really enjoy talking about and showing off their vintage and new watches. Saw a moon-dial vintage Rolex that I had never hear of before, stunning. And they were very appreciative of my wife's new DJ, even though we hadn't bought it there.

They mentioned that all their prices went up 3% January 1 (thought I heard 7% on this forum?). I was surprised to learn that the salespeople there are NOT on commission. And that in general they sell 2 watches a day, although they can sell up to 5 on a good day.

Great store to visit!

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #19
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
In Monterey this weekend...

Hell YES! Fourtane has some awesome vintage and SS selection. Ask for Peter if he’s there.

Edit: I see now you got to stop in! Glad you had a great time it’s a beautiful town with a great dealer.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #20
function12
"TRF" Member

I was there back in September and tried to buy the YG Day Date white roman. They would not budge off MSRP.
Staff is always nice and more than helpful.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #21
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:

Thanks!
I was there in March of '19 and they had a way above average selection compared to other AD's. They told me they are the only Rolex sanctioned vintage dealer in the US, not sure this is a thing Rolex does or if it was just sales BS, but their vintage collection was excellent when I was there.

Also agree, they were all very nice people.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #22
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I have not been to their Carmel store, but love their San Diego Boutique, where I met Josh (one of owners), who was very nice.

I have heard great things about their Carmel store including being the reference for vintage Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 11:58 AM   #23
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Carmel is secondary, Fourtané is primary

We had a great GTG there 10 years ago. https://www.minus4plus6.com/GTG-Carmel.php

Since then the store has been remodeled but still has the same charm. The Bonifas family knows how to take care of people first and Rolexes second. You feel it because it is exemplified by every staff member and by the way they treat you.

Fourtané is a great destination visit, and the rest of Carmel is a bonus.

~ Sheldon
Old 7 January 2020, 12:00 PM   #24
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX

Yes! They have some exquisite jewelry and watches.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 12:34 PM   #25
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Stop by every time in Carmel.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:24 PM   #26
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I been there 50 times and still. always get butterflies going in like a candy store
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote