The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 July 2019, 07:35 PM   #1
FWK
"TRF" Member

The updated dials on 1389 and 1305

I was/am just about to pull the trigger on a 1389 when I noticed that the watch on Panerais website shows two different dials. (See Picture 1 and 3)

https://www.panerai.com/be/en/collec...ic---47mm.html

From searching I can see, that Panerai apparently updated the dial to include two lines of blue text, removed the "Luminor" branding and moved the "Panerai" to the top (makes sense)

This makes the Pam 1389 and 1305 have the same dialdesign as all the other new Sumbersibles and to be honest I actually like the update.

To figure this out I really had to do some research. Its not really mentioned anywhere and I could just find a few posts. On Panerais website it still shows the old design on most pictures, and the few new pictures of the 1389 is easily confused with the 42mm 683 (Only the now white "Amagnetic" line gives it away).

My question is just if this was ever officially announced, when it started and if this is the only model shipping from the factory? My AD still only has the old dial version on display and never heard of this update. I had to show the pictures on instagram to believe me.

Even Panerais own consierge service (through their website) told me that the only updates the 1389 had over the years was the case back (on the first models it didn't have the logo with the torpedo and the two divers) When I informed the consierge about the dialchange, they went quiet...
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:13 PM   #2
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting. I prefer the original dial but both work great. I own the 1389 and think it is a great watch and a lot of fun in the strap game. I own several of the rubber straps and have a lot of fun changing them out. If your AD has a 1389 in I would take it and move on. Less time thinking about dial configuration and more time on the wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190530_172308 (002).jpg (167.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 20190708_111707 (002).jpg (174.1 KB, 280 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:00 PM   #3
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
1389 is a great piece. they put it in the ‘sub’ class. wonder if it makes the old dial more exclusive lol.

just get it, if you like it.

love mine

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
The change was made at this years SIHH. It was an attempt to make the Submersibles it's own line and not part of the Luminor line.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:43 PM   #5
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
The change was made at this years SIHH. It was an attempt to make the Submersibles it's own line and not part of the Luminor line.
This is the answer. It's a fairly new change. I think they also changed the hands slightly. They really pushed the Submersibles this year and have re-categorized them as their own line. I know a lot of people like it, but I don't think it makes sense. Panerai have always been categorized by their case. Now all Luminors (except the Due) are grouped; as are the Radiomirs. I think this makes it even more confusing to the casual buyer as the Luminor and Luminor 1950 are different as is the Radiomir and Radiomir 1940.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:51 AM   #6
FWK
"TRF" Member

Well I was actually getting used to the old dial because that’s what I’ve been trying on at the AD. So this kind of threw me off. But after giving it some thought it’s really not that different and it looks nice that “ Panerai” was moved to the top of the dial.

It’s also nice with the extra blue text will match the dark blue OEM rubber I’m planning on getting. The only thing I dislike is that the “Amagnetic” changed colour. On one hand it’s nice that it matches the rest of the text. But I also liked it being in subtle grey letters. Like a hidden feature. Actually they should just hide it all together and just write it on the back along with “automatic” but that’s just my OCD.

I will rock it with joy either way on my skinny 6,something wrist.

But was there ever a press release or an official notice about this change, even a little mention in an interview? Even the dealers (and Panerais own concierge) didn’t know. When you see someone post a rare picture on Instagram of this model and claim it’s a 1389 - the comments are filled with people claiming the person is confusing it with the 683.

My dealer doesn’t even know if he will get the new dial version if he orders a new one. Maybe the factory still has a bunch of old models to push out.

How was the hands changed? I can’t see any difference?
Old 23 July 2019, 02:23 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post

Looking good.

This strap combo shows why I think the less blue on the dial, the better. IMO, too much blue gives it a more contemporary look/feel, which probably won't go as well with a vintage-style strap (but will look fine with a rubber strap, for example).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #8
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I always said Panerai should be front and center at 12. Was pleased to see the change.

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
OP, Yes, it was mentioned in multiple interviews by the new CEO.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:24 PM   #10
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
submersible has been separated from luminor in the new structure, so they change the text on the dial.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 07:22 PM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Old vs. new:

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 07:28 PM   #12
FWK
"TRF" Member

Actually a really nice small update!

Someone mentioned that they also changed the hands. I think I can see that they are slightly shorter and a little fatter.
Old 24 July 2019, 02:42 PM   #13
erik asher
"TRF" Member

If you want the real deal, skip the 1389 and go straight to the 389...the 389 is a strap horse with the creme lume...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 09:12 PM   #14
FWK
"TRF" Member

The OG 389 is great, I agree.

However since I have small wrists, the slimmer 1389 just wears better on me.
Actually the 1389 wears smaller on me than the 372 due to the big black bezel taking up so much of the dial and making it seem slightly smaller.

Plus I love blue and think it makes the dial pop a bit. And not a fan of display backs with this workhorse movement. Not really a showcase.