The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 May 2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Jay L
"TRF" Member

1956 Datejust repair

I've got a '56 Datejust...took it to Rolex on 5th Ave. in NYC...they refuse to service it since they hadn't seen it in several years...told me they didn't have parts, but referred by to American Watch Institute Site, where I found EMW Watch Repair in Sedona, AZ. Has anyone used them, or can anyone recommend a trustworthy resource to service this family heirloom? My uncle was original owner...I've got all paperwork, etc.
Jay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Seems there should be someone there in NYC who could perform the same service...
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 06:10 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay L View Post
I've got a '56 Datejust...took it to Rolex on 5th Ave. in NYC...they refuse to service it since they hadn't seen it in several years...told me they didn't have parts, but referred by to American Watch Institute Site, where I found EMW Watch Repair in Sedona, AZ. Has anyone used them, or can anyone recommend a trustworthy resource to service this family heirloom? My uncle was original owner...I've got all paperwork, etc.
Well first welcome to TRF yes its a shame that Rolex dont look after there heritage better.But any good watchmaker could service your watch.But in the UK there are still parts available for these vintage watches,now not sure with the US..There are quite a few authorised independents in the US here are two for you, very good for vintage and doing exactly what the customer wants

Chicago and San Francisco.
Courtesy from Mike.
Chicago--(312) 782-7768
San Francisco--(415) 982-9830

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 07:17 PM   #4
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF Jay The places that Padi has given you the phone numbers have been used by some members before and they have come away happy. If Mike recommends them then they have to be good
Old 13 May 2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hi Jay and welcome.
There are watchmakers who will restore your Date-Just, it seems to be a bit too old for Rolex to service. Make sure that you get a "sympathetic service". This means keeping the old or existing dial and hands. Even if they are old, the value of the watch will be preserved if those items are kept original. Collectors will be much more impressed with original parts, so if for example you are offered a replacement dial it might be prudent to refuse.
Good luck and enjoy the forum. :)
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2007, 02:57 AM   #6
Angela23060

Please do not use EMW Watch Repair in Sedona. I have just been through a 6-week nightmare with Eric Martin who owns this company. He does not polish properly, your bezel will be misaligned, he will charge you twice what his original quote is for, if he replaces your crystal for you the new crystal will be scratched, he is unresponsive to emails. Feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to go into more detail. You can also read about some of it in a post I put on here a few days ago (search for "Service Question - Rolex Lady DateJust). Please, for your own piece of mind, use someone else.

I did get a referral yesterday to Stuart Jefferson in Lorton, VA (703-690-9838) from Cayce Fuqua on this board who is supposed to do excellent work.

Good luck!
Angela23060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2007, 11:26 PM   #7
FBender

Watch: LV
Welcome
FBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2007, 01:15 AM   #8
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hi Jay, welcome aboard!

Good luck on getting that heirloom DateJust serviced.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote