The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 15 June 2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Timesensitive
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD40 Blue Dial
Need some advice / reviews - Avenger Hurricane 45

I think I’d like to add a Breitling to my collection, and would like something for daily wear - at a somewhat physical occupation in the construction field. I have what I think may be a good deal from my local AD (30%off msrp) on this Avenger Hurricane 45. I like the incredibly light weight and size as its so easy to see :)
Anyone have experience they would like to share with regard to this reference / material / band / price ($5,800)?

Thanks so much. All feedback is appreciated.

Sheldon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1694.JPG (95.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1695.JPG (85.0 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1698.jpg (245.8 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by Timesensitive; 15 June 2019 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Adding Information
Timesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 10:38 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Too large and busy for my taste and I do not care for the BREITLIGHT material. It feels and looks like plastic
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Timesensitive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Too large and busy for my taste and I do not care for the BREITLIGHT material. It feels and looks like plastic
Appreciate your opinion. Was hoping to find someone with real-world experience on this one. I have a pretty physical job, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've been driving a Hamilton as a work-watch for 9 years or so, and was looking for something new. The light weight and size (for my eyes) was appealing :)

They're offering 30% off at my local AD. Brings it to $5800 and would still get the factory 5 yr warranty.

Maybe I should just keep waiting for the Explorer II White dial, for which I'm on a few lists ;)

Cheers,
Shel
Old 18 June 2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

I’d wait for that Exp II. That material feels cheap to me as well
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:59 PM   #5
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I can’t speak for the Hurricane but i do own the Colt Skyracer made of the same material. I really like how it looks and feels on the wrist. Most of the time I’m wearing it, I barely even notice a watch on my wrist. I also own 2 Breitlings with the B01 movement and both have run great. I’ve had one for over 3 years and picked up my second in December. The 45mm Hurricane isn’t all that huge but I wouldn’t just buy it because you think you’re getting a good deal.
jnelson3097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Timesensitive
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to pass on this one. I like it, but I just can't get comfortable with the purchase.

Cheers
Old 24 June 2019, 12:41 AM   #7
Nucengineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Navitmer 1 B01
Titanium is stronger or greater than steel in terms of weight / lb. Because it is light does not equate to cheap. That being said, if you are performing physical labor in the field, I would not choose a $5800 watch. I would choose a G Shock or a larger Suunto for ease of reading. Save your money and watch to wear when you're not as likely to damage it. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Jim
Nucengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 06:03 AM   #8
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think you can do better, re: the following ad:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs...n-4934311.html

fwiw, in a recent meeting with the USA CEO, he told a group of us that Breitling is discontinuing the use of Breitlight.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 07:26 AM   #9
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Saw this, and you may have already passed, but I do think you could do better than that on price.

In terms of the material, I think it's pretty cool. I actually have thought about adding the same watch, and sent out some messages to people on the forum who own the watch. All of them have commented that the material has held up very well, one guy said he has had the watch over a year, and the case still looks new, which is impressive.

I think it's a personal preference, certainly if you value heft/weight then Breitlight isn't for you. If you value innovative materials and engineering, it's probably worth a look. Plus with the B-01 movement, you're getting a really solid watch movement inside that case.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 02:53 PM   #10
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Also wanted to throw in that you had on the 50mm version, not the 45 in the pictures you attached.
Old 18 July 2019, 06:39 AM   #11
Mkink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesensitive View Post
I think I’d like to add a Breitling to my collection, and would like something for daily wear - at a somewhat physical occupation in the construction field. I have what I think may be a good deal from my local AD (30%off msrp) on this Avenger Hurricane 45. I like the incredibly light weight and size as its so easy to see :)
Anyone have experience they would like to share with regard to this reference / material / band / price ($5,800)?

Thanks so much. All feedback is appreciated.

Sheldon
So, I was in the same boat as you were. I know you were going to pass on the watch, but I thought I would give my $0.02.

I am a firefighter and wanted a durable watch to withstand the job. I settled on this watch after trying it on at several ADs in the Caribbean. I didn't purchase at an AD because I found better deals online. I ended up buying from Alex's Watches on Chrono24. I paid around $4,500 which is a steal. It came with a warranty booklet and all.

I have had the watch for about 2 months. I really like the watch, but I am not a big fan of the band. The band is still a little stiff and is more elongated than circular, which rubs the sides of my wrist but has a small gap at the buckle. I maybe would have considered a regular tang buckle if I were to do it again.

I really like the lightweight characteristics of the watch. It has held up ok, but I do have a few big dings on the bezel. I guess it just goes with the territory and will only continue. But, it looks slightly broken in and used. Its a tool watch for me so I don't really care how it looks. I really like how this watch flies under the radar. No one notices or comments, which is good, because my co-workers would flip out if they knew I wore an expensive watch to the firehouse.

My main problem with this watch was the failure to keep good time. From the start the watch would gain about 1 minute per day. I figured it just needed some time to adjust. After 1.5 months, I called Breitling and sent it back. They changed 6 different gaskets and serviced the watch. It is doing much better and is losing only maybe 5 seconds per day. Breitling accepted the traditional warranty book with my watch and didn't hesitate to service the watch. So, for anyone curious about purchasing from chrono24, I had a very good experience and saved a considerable sum of money.

Take care,
Matt
Mkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:43 AM   #12
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkink View Post
So, I was in the same boat as you were. I know you were going to pass on the watch, but I thought I would give my $0.02.

I am a firefighter and wanted a durable watch to withstand the job. I settled on this watch after trying it on at several ADs in the Caribbean. I didn't purchase at an AD because I found better deals online. I ended up buying from Alex's Watches on Chrono24. I paid around $4,500 which is a steal. It came with a warranty booklet and all.

I have had the watch for about 2 months. I really like the watch, but I am not a big fan of the band. The band is still a little stiff and is more elongated than circular, which rubs the sides of my wrist but has a small gap at the buckle. I maybe would have considered a regular tang buckle if I were to do it again.

I really like the lightweight characteristics of the watch. It has held up ok, but I do have a few big dings on the bezel. I guess it just goes with the territory and will only continue. But, it looks slightly broken in and used. Its a tool watch for me so I don't really care how it looks. I really like how this watch flies under the radar. No one notices or comments, which is good, because my co-workers would flip out if they knew I wore an expensive watch to the firehouse.

My main problem with this watch was the failure to keep good time. From the start the watch would gain about 1 minute per day. I figured it just needed some time to adjust. After 1.5 months, I called Breitling and sent it back. They changed 6 different gaskets and serviced the watch. It is doing much better and is losing only maybe 5 seconds per day. Breitling accepted the traditional warranty book with my watch and didn't hesitate to service the watch. So, for anyone curious about purchasing from chrono24, I had a very good experience and saved a considerable sum of money.

Take care,
Matt
Super helpful post, that's really interesting that your bezel has taken a bit of a beating. I thought Breitlight was "stronger than steel" but that may just be marketing.

I think the texture and marbling of the material are cool, and what appeals to me about the watch is the under-the-radar aspect you mentioned. I was chatting with someone at the Breitling boutique, and they mentioned that their rubber straps (not with fabric) are only like $70 if you have the deployant clasp. Might be something to look into, they would probably wear much comfortably than the rubber/fabric strap.

Sorry to hear about the accuracy, but at least they stood behind in from the warranty standpoint.