The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 November 2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Talk to me about Breguet...

Hi, all,

I know I can look for Breguet communities, the same as I can with my Omega, but I really like the people here. Everyone is so helpful, so I decided to keep it here at TRF. Unbiased feedback is appreciated!

So I'm gearing up for my next purchase after my tax return and bonus come in. I'm considering a few Rolex models (would be my 3rd,) but I'm leaning a bit more towards branching out. So, while on 5th Ave. in NYC this week, I decided to check out the Breguet boutique.

I have to say, I was very impressed! My budget is about $10K-$15K for new, maybe a bit less for used, so I was shown the Type XX, Type XXI, and Marine Big Date. Very different watches, but I enjoyed them all the same.

I'm not set on a particular style just yet if you couldn't tell. Keeping the options open. My questions are really more about the Breguet brand in general:

- Anyone here own any Breguets? What model(s)? What's your experience with them been like?

- How does the overall level of quality compare to Rolex? Fit and finish look wonderful, but what about reliability?

- Are there any Breguet resources you would suggest looking at?

- Let's say I have buyer's remorse and want to sell and go with an alternative brand; do Breguets hold their value well?

- Given my budget, are there any other models worth looking at in the Breguet lineup?

- Are there any alternative brands/models you would suggest over Breguet's Type XX, Type XXI, or Marine? Why?

Thanks, everyone! Greatly appreciated.

Obligatory pic of a Type XXI Titanium that I tried on:

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Stargazer735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2017, 09:24 AM   #2
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I own several Marines (big date, GMT, chronograph and tourbillon chrono), plus a classique and I just bought a classique for my fiance (she doesn't know I bought it, but it was her favorite when watch shopping "for fun").

Anyway, Breguet is wonderful. It's been in continuous production since A.L.Breguet's time, although it was sold a few times in the 20th century. The late Nicholas Hayek of Swatchgroup bought it with the heartfelt intention of restoring it to full greatness and he did. Lemania, maker of classic, high-end ebauches for many top companies in the 20th century, is now Manufacture Breguet, and those classic movements are updated with silicon parts, etc.

Like pretty much all precious metal watches, you shouldn't expect resale value to hold, that's even true for Rolex pm watches.

I love the way Breguet keeps innovating while holding magnificently to their deep heritage. The hand-turned, rose engine made guilloche dials made from silvered wafers of solid gold are amazing, as are their grand feu enamel dials.

The type XX/XXI pilot watches are lovely, look the many post by on timezone and watchprosite by user "shorty's home" for an awesome collection of Type XXs very well pictured.

One thing I can say is that I never regret a Breguet. However, like with any purchase, know what you want first. Then, I can say you'll never be disappointed, either.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 04:21 AM   #3
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
I own several Marines (big date, GMT, chronograph and tourbillon chrono), plus a classique and I just bought a classique for my fiance (she doesn't know I bought it, but it was her favorite when watch shopping "for fun").

Anyway, Breguet is wonderful. It's been in continuous production since A.L.Breguet's time, although it was sold a few times in the 20th century. The late Nicholas Hayek of Swatchgroup bought it with the heartfelt intention of restoring it to full greatness and he did. Lemania, maker of classic, high-end ebauches for many top companies in the 20th century, is now Manufacture Breguet, and those classic movements are updated with silicon parts, etc.

Like pretty much all precious metal watches, you shouldn't expect resale value to hold, that's even true for Rolex pm watches.

I love the way Breguet keeps innovating while holding magnificently to their deep heritage. The hand-turned, rose engine made guilloche dials made from silvered wafers of solid gold are amazing, as are their grand feu enamel dials.

The type XX/XXI pilot watches are lovely, look the many post by on timezone and watchprosite by user "shorty's home" for an awesome collection of Type XXs very well pictured.

One thing I can say is that I never regret a Breguet. However, like with any purchase, know what you want first. Then, I can say you'll never be disappointed, either.
Thanks, kunlun! That's very helpful. Glad to hear you're enjoying them. Congrats to your wife!

Would love to see pictures of your collection if you have any. Very impressive!

Old 7 November 2017, 05:55 AM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

You guys have stirred my interest in Breguet now. I’ve always been aware of and admired Abraham-Louis for his vast inventiveness, but oddly I’ve never considered adding any Breguet pieces to my collection. Now I must make my way up to the boutique on 5th Ave and have a look.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 10:48 AM   #5
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Here are two articles giving a look at some of the original watches by the master himself:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...in-watchmaking

Here is an article on the Classique I have:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...reference-7337

An article on the Tyle XX and XXI:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ty...i-chronographs

And a lovely review of the Breguet Marine 5817 big date:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/#/topics/2157194
Old 7 November 2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Very interesting brand history. I've never been a fan of their sporty models, like the XX or Marine. I was told that the XX is pretty unpopular by an AD, and I have seen it for around 4-5000 USD second hand, so buy carefully.

The Classique line, with the numerals, blue hands, and coin edging are really fantastic tho. However, in that price range, you're in ALS and PP territory, and it's pretty hard to compete there.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

The type XX is a wonderful watch with a rich history and is currently undervalued on the secondary market.
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As been said the aristocratic, dare I say Napoleonic, elegance of the Classique line is what I have always loved about Breguet, the sports models have never really done it for me, and I'd probably have the same reaction if Lange came out with some too. Having said that the XXI pic above looks pretty nice. I would say a cheaper/different alternative to my eye would be a Mont Blanc and possibly a UN for the Marine. As for resale these are not strong but check out chrono24 for the state of the market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:08 PM   #9
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
The Type XX is a gem and easily available for $6k. Great watch with real history. The other Breguet, sportier model that really interests me is the Marine Big Date.

As to fit and finish, a current model Rolex is very well done, but if you go back 10-15 years, a Breguet sports model was quite a bit nicer (as were a lot of brands).
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 12:19 AM   #10
meganfox17
Banned

meganfox17 Laws on Breguet Timepieces!

1/ Buy a pre-owned Breguet
2/ Visit the Breguet Muzium in Paris before you kick the bucket. Seriously !
3/ Please ignore any reader's comments on the Marine Big Date Ref 5817 being a confused watch ! Absolute Rubbish !

Arguably the Greatest Moderator of the Omega Forum(now ex) whom I dearly love and respect is Dennis @ulackfocus. Dennis taught me so much about watches and I miss him a lot. At the top of his Christmas wish list every year is a Breguet Marine Big Date so here's hoping his prayers would be answered this Christmas ! Merry Christmas Dennis and Wendy !

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 03:44 AM   #11
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
meganfox17 Laws on Breguet Timepieces!

1/ Buy a pre-owned Breguet
2/ Visit the Breguet Muzium in Paris before you kick the bucket. Seriously !
3/ Please ignore any reader's comments on the Marine Big Date Ref 5817 being a confused watch ! Absolute Rubbish !

Arguably the Greatest Moderator of the Omega Forum(now ex) whom I dearly love and respect is Dennis @ulackfocus. Dennis taught me so much about watches and I miss him a lot. At the top of his Christmas wish list every year is a Breguet Marine Big Date so here's hoping his prayers would be answered this Christmas ! Merry Christmas Dennis and Wendy !

You're feeding my Watch Acquisition Syndrome (WAS) with that blue Marine...

Thanks for the advice! Going used is certainly looking like the way to do it. I'm seeing Type XXs in the 4's. Marines, noticeably higher, but still significantly cheaper than new.

Old 9 November 2017, 06:11 AM   #12
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have experience with the Marine bracelet? I love the look, but is it comfy? Any nicer than an oyster?

Old 9 November 2017, 12:54 PM   #13
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer735 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Marine bracelet? I love the look, but is it comfy? Any nicer than an oyster?

I have it on my Marine GMT.

Nothing is as comfy as an oyster, but it's a cool bracelet, it doesn't taper so you get a masculine yet classy look a step above an oyster.
Old 22 December 2017, 12:31 PM   #14
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
The Type XX is a gem and easily available for $6k. Great watch with real history. The other Breguet, sportier model that really interests me is the Marine Big Date.

As to fit and finish, a current model Rolex is very well done, but if you go back 10-15 years, a Breguet sports model was quite a bit nicer (as were a lot of brands).
Dammit, google took me down a rabbit hole on the Marine Big Date. That thing is stunning.
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2017, 03:44 PM   #15
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
1. If your a flipper don’t buy
2, if your not a flipper buy preowned.

Follow those rules and go with your heart
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 01:36 PM   #16
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I'm choosing between the XX and IWC Pilot Chrono for my next watch-- tough call. I haven't had any luck holding onto dress watches so the Classiques - even though some are very cool -- haven't bubbled up near the top of my list. As someone else mentioned, for over $10K I'd probably be looking at PP or ALS.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2017, 02:48 PM   #17
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I'm choosing between the XX and IWC Pilot Chrono for my next watch-- tough call. I haven't had any luck holding onto dress watches so the Classiques
I just thought of a sleeper watch of Baselworld 2017 that looks like the Breguet XX Aeronavale (even right down to the extra long subdial hand of the minute totalizer at 9 o'clock ) but at half the price of its preowned fraternal twin! Check out the Longines Avigation BigEye coz' it's also the winner of the Revival Prize at the 2017 Grand Prix d'Horlogeria de Geneva
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 07:31 AM   #18
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
....interesting thread
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 01:43 PM   #19
Roovain
"TRF" Member

I love the 5327....

I am totally enthralled with the complexity of the 5327 rose gold....it's just fascinating. You have to look it up, and check it out. As soon as I find a nice one, I'm going to snag it. Don't confuse the Breguet 5327 with the new Patek 5327....although that's also an incredible watch. But there's just something captivating about the Breguet 5327. Anyone else agree?
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #20
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
I am totally enthralled with the complexity of the 5327 rose gold....it's just fascinating. You have to look it up, and check it out. As soon as I find a nice one, I'm going to snag it. Don't confuse the Breguet 5327 with the new Patek 5327....although that's also an incredible watch. But there's just something captivating about the Breguet 5327. Anyone else agree?
I do!
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:54 AM   #21
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

My tastes are changing.

Kinda want a Tradition Retrograde or GMT now...

Old 22 February 2018, 10:40 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You can’t compare with Rolex, it’s more close to Patek IMO, the Marine line is very cool 👍
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:43 PM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You can’t compare with Rolex, it’s more close to Patek IMO, the Marine line is very cool ��

What the hell is that doing it here’s...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:14 PM   #24
Volt55
"TRF" Member

I love Breguet . I agree it is more on par with Patek and AP. It stands at the top of swatch group and has an incredible history. Also, they do not release a very large number of pieces each year at Basel which helps maintain the classic iconic watches they make without diluting and over producing product. For a while now I’ve been hoping the popularity of the brand would increase in the US. Time will tell but the product is incredible.
Volt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 06:49 AM   #25
jayhaa
"TRF" Member

I am absolutely in love with the new Breguet Classique 7147.

The way they indented the second hand dial vs the cut out on the old 5140's is genius.

If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it. Beautiful piece!
jayhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:58 AM   #26
sambb
"TRF" Member

i love the 7787 in grand feu enamel. Wish i could get one at a discount. it is... beautiful. Art.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 10:42 AM   #27
nick c
Banned

Quality built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 05:02 PM   #28
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:40 PM   #29
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Had a marine big date but let it go. Most Breguets look fantastic in pics but on the wrist the fit can be weird. At least on mine. So try them on before you buy and go pre-owned.
Besided the fit the crown on the marine feels like its made out of plastic or tin. Realy bugged me. Fantastic looking watch do.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 11:03 PM   #30
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
No "PLASTIC FEEL" to the two brevets I own and both have a awesome fit too. I only buy new as I did with both of these. Lots of advice will vary pending on motive I guess..:)

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote