The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 July 2019, 11:23 PM   #31
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I must say, every time I've tried on a Breguet, I'm blown away by the heft, finishing and attention to detail. It's a shame they kind of get lost in the shuffle and not mentioned in the same breathe with Patek and Lange, but they are right up there.
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 10:35 AM   #32
shafran
"TRF" Member

I love Breguet

from the tradition, to the marine to the classique, to my rose gold xx
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 11:19 PM   #33
RolyMoly
Banned

My AD just started selling Breguet, I put on a bunch of them. All really beautiful. Very much jewelry. I’m considering getting the Big Date Marine myself. Their dress watches are off the charts too.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:04 AM   #34
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

-Anyone here own any Breguets? What model(s)? What's your experience with them been like?

I'm a long time Breguet lover. The 5207 was the first watch I feel really hard for. Like any brand, different models for different folks. Worry about what sings to you, not others.

- How does the overall level of quality compare to Rolex? Fit and finish look wonderful, but what about reliability?

Its still comparing finish to a Rolex. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota. The Breguet is world class and the Rolex is a tool.

As far as reliability, they had a lot of issues pre-Swatch but are a lot better now. I've never had an issue with any that I have owned but they are hand made so their are bound to be variances. Again, a Rolex is basically a stamped product so they are all the same. A Breguet has a lot more hand work in them.

- Are there any Breguet resources you would suggest looking at?

Online or in print? Print is best for Breguet.

- Let's say I have buyer's remorse and want to sell and go with an alternative brand; do Breguets hold their value well?

Compared to what? A SS sport Rolex or a Jacob and Co?

- Given my budget, are there any other models worth looking at in the Breguet lineup?

No. You are at the entry for Breguet.

- Are there any alternative brands/models you would suggest over Breguet's Type XX, Type XXI, or Marine? Why?

It depends. You are looking at their few sportier models bit Breguet is really a dress watch company. Further up the food chain is where they really shine, specifically their moon phases. Both their enamel and Guilloché dials are absolutely world class.

Breguet is a brand focused on outward beauty: the hands, dials and cases are where they shine. Patek and Lange are a clear step up in movement finishing. You will also see a lot of movement sharing between Breguet, Blancpain and Jaquet Droz as they are all statement brands, sharing resources under the Swatch group.

All around, an amazing, under appreciated brand.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:55 AM   #35
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Talk to me about Breguet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatpauli View Post
-Anyone here own any Breguets? What model(s)? What's your experience with them been like?

I'm a long time Breguet lover. The 5207 was the first watch I feel really hard for. Like any brand, different models for different folks. Worry about what sings to you, not others.

- How does the overall level of quality compare to Rolex? Fit and finish look wonderful, but what about reliability?

Its still comparing finish to a Rolex. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota. The Breguet is world class and the Rolex is a tool.

As far as reliability, they had a lot of issues pre-Swatch but are a lot better now. I've never had an issue with any that I have owned but they are hand made so their are bound to be variances. Again, a Rolex is basically a stamped product so they are all the same. A Breguet has a lot more hand work in them.

- Are there any Breguet resources you would suggest looking at?

Online or in print? Print is best for Breguet.

- Let's say I have buyer's remorse and want to sell and go with an alternative brand; do Breguets hold their value well?

Compared to what? A SS sport Rolex or a Jacob and Co?

- Given my budget, are there any other models worth looking at in the Breguet lineup?

No. You are at the entry for Breguet.

- Are there any alternative brands/models you would suggest over Breguet's Type XX, Type XXI, or Marine? Why?

It depends. You are looking at their few sportier models bit Breguet is really a dress watch company. Further up the food chain is where they really shine, specifically their moon phases. Both their enamel and Guilloché dials are absolutely world class.

Breguet is a brand focused on outward beauty: the hands, dials and cases are where they shine. Patek and Lange are a clear step up in movement finishing. You will also see a lot of movement sharing between Breguet, Blancpain and Jaquet Droz as they are all statement brands, sharing resources under the Swatch group.

All around, an amazing, under appreciated brand.

I have one. I fell in love with it while visiting an AD in Cancun. I found it pre-owned at a price I thought was a great value for a gold chrono.

Doesn’t get a ton of wrist time but I have a pretty good number to rotate.

It’s really a beautifully finished watch, the dial is gorgeous, I like the different fonts they use on the bezel and dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #36
ACF123
"TRF" Member

Was never particularly taken with Breguet via pics online but I was fortunate enough to see the Tourbillon Messidor (and a number of others) in the metal and via loupe today and I have to say the finish is absolutely OTT...
ACF123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 04:26 AM   #37
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
My favorite is the new Breguet Marine 5517.
Old 4 January 2020, 12:58 PM   #38
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Hands-on Breguet Marine 5517

Hands-on Breguet Marine 5517

https://monochrome-watches.com/bregu...-review-price/
Old 12 July 2020, 06:36 AM   #39
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Can I please see some pictures of Breguet Marine with Rubber strap with Rolex 40mm steel sport model? I have a small wrist and afraid a big long lugs of Breguet Marine’d be too much for my wrist. Thank you.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #40
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
Can I please see some pictures of Breguet Marine with Rubber strap with Rolex 40mm steel sport model? I have a small wrist and afraid a big long lugs of Breguet Marine’d be too much for my wrist. Thank you.
Are you looking for it next to a 5 or 6 digit Sub?
Old 12 July 2020, 12:00 PM   #41
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5digits, but if you got 6digits I’d love love to see that as well. Thank you.
Old 12 July 2020, 12:19 PM   #42
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5digits, but if you got 6digits I’d love love to see that as well. Thank you.
Old 12 July 2020, 12:20 PM   #43
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

5digits, but if you got 6digits I’d love to see that as well. Thank you
Old 13 July 2020, 12:26 AM   #44
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

I don't have a 5 digit but here is a 6...

On my 6.5" wrist:

Old 13 July 2020, 01:28 AM   #45
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much! It looks bigger and wear larger than your Sub, doesn’t it?
Old 13 July 2020, 02:07 AM   #46
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

My pleasure. I actually don't find so. I know the lugs are long on the 5817 but the dial and lack of bezel actually make it feel smaller. It is far more refined feeling than the Sub which also some how makes it wear more diminutive. I would also say they are very similar as far as comfort goes.
Old 13 July 2020, 05:35 AM   #47
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
I have always admired the Marine Big Date. A few months back I was trying to decide which Big Date to purchase for my birthday when I came across this and could not resist. No regrets.
Attached Images
File Type: png 7C07DF7C-C020-4189-90AB-45017BF0A74C.png (237.2 KB, 146 views)
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:41 AM   #48
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My pleasure. I actually don't find so. I know the lugs are long on the 5817 but the dial and lack of bezel actually make it feel smaller. It is far more refined feeling than the Sub which also some how makes it wear more diminutive. I would also say they are very similar as far as comfort goes.
You convinced me. I probably have handled Breguet 2 or 3 times and I always think a finish is a grade above Rolex and others. This particular Marine should be perfect everyday watch for me.