The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2018, 12:27 PM   #61
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense5 View Post
Thanks everyone. How do AD's get the Rolex you are looking for? When they don't have it at the location, I have been told, I can get it in 7 days if you buy it now. What are they doing?
They order from a distributor (in this case Rolex USA) or they bring in from another location if they are a chain
Old 12 September 2018, 12:43 PM   #62
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Platinum daytona you can get a discount but it won't be anything what you could get from a trusted seller which is usually in the 20% range.

On one hand only the large metro ADs will likely have it in stock which would increase your chances of getting a better discount. On the other hand those ADs also have more clients who are likely to be willing to pay not needing a discount.

Any random AD will have to order that watch which depending on stock at Rolex NY could be a week or two to maybe a couple of months. Even as a special order they should discount because the margin is so high on that watch, but how much depends on the AD.

It's not a watch that is sold very often. If I were an AD I'd be willing to discount to have it sold because I would think it's a prestige thing to be able to say "hey Rolex I just sold a platinum Daytona."

But then again what do I know.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 02:19 PM   #63
Intense5
"TRF" Member

When you say the AD would still make out given the margin, can you explain that a little more? Thank you kindly. Do they buy from Rolex at a lower price than MSRP? Sorry just uneducated in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intense5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 03:25 PM   #64
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
You may get Platona almost at any AD in Spain or Italy with 15% discount at least, last but not least being US citizen you will also get a VAT refund. In same cases you may go as far as 20%, eapecially if it is in stock. It is worthwhile getting in negotiation over the phone and then plan your trip. Mind you as far as i heard currently there is also a shortage of Platona, so perhaps you’d better wait until after Christmas.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:37 PM   #65
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
Of course you can ask, doesn’t mean you’ll get one but you can ask.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:01 PM   #66
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderguy View Post
Do you think Liljenquist will give a discount on a Cellini ?

Dunno... we got 10% off my wife's TT yachtmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:09 PM   #67
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderguy View Post
Do you think Liljenquist will give a discount on a Cellini ?
You will be lucky if they bother to even talk to you
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:56 PM   #68
tmo8320
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 Mark I dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I live in DC and Lenkensdorfer is not going to give you a discount for cash. Same goes for Liljenquist (sister store) or TJB downtown. You are not the only person in any of those markets mentioned who aren't going into debt to get a watch. They take my AMEX and I take the points, MSRP.

Literally ALL of this.

tmo8320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:30 PM   #69
bichisaur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I don't k ow your experience with them, but they are nice people. I love that AD more than their sister store in tysons. Stephen never pushed any sales on me while im looking around and he managed to get me a sub with no waiting list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bichisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 10:42 PM   #70
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichisaur View Post
I don't k ow your experience with them, but they are nice people. I love that AD more than their sister store in tysons. Stephen never pushed any sales on me while im looking around and he managed to get me a sub with no waiting list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
In both Tysons and the Galleria they are quite stand-offish. They recently cut the size of their store in half in Tysons. Even Patek was surprised that they refused to help me with service.

I rarely go in there any longer as it is a waste of time and it sucks the fun out of watches watching them pretend they know about their product.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:07 PM   #71
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Boom! That’s my thoughts. You treat me well, I will keep coming back.

That's the truth. Took me more than 2 months of shopping around, but I enjoyed it; and made a couple of friends :) Do not get discouraged. An AD needs your money right now out there, but will not be in Manhattan or NYC.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:15 PM   #72
novae500
"TRF" Member

Finks in Dulles wants you to spend $25K to be considered any prof SS watches. Other ones mentioned in T1 and T2, said all out of pro SS and 2 year waiting list for any if you haven't spent big $$. I think i'm better off finding one on here LV/Bluesy than at an AD.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:19 PM   #73
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
I’m new here. What is TS selection again?

Trusted Seller. We have some great sellers right here on the forum...just check the classifieds.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:37 PM   #74
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Trusted Seller. We have some great sellers right here on the forum...just check the classifieds.

Thank you! Learning.

Old 12 September 2018, 11:43 PM   #75
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's been my experience. They've really firmed up over the years.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:44 PM   #76
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
When you say the AD would still make out given the margin, can you explain that a little more? Thank you kindly. Do they buy from Rolex at a lower price than MSRP? Sorry just uneducated in this area.
Why would an AD, or any business, buy wholesale for MSRP and then (hope to) sell retail for no more than MSRP?

Methinks something is not right about this thread....
Old 12 September 2018, 11:49 PM   #77
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
The AD gets their watches at 2/3 the value of MSRP from Rolex, ie the gross margin for AD is 1/3.

Typically, the net profit margin for an AD is around 5% to 10%, after factoring staff cost, rental, cost of goods and all other expenses.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 11:50 PM   #78
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

No discount on my purchase last Saturday at the local AD. I asked - "Is this the best price we can do on this watch?" The salesman guffawed. Of course I negotiate the price of my Happy Meal at McDonalds too.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 12:59 AM   #79
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
In both Tysons and the Galleria they are quite stand-offish. They recently cut the size of their store in half in Tysons. Even Patek was surprised that they refused to help me with service.

I rarely go in there any longer as it is a waste of time and it sucks the fun out of watches watching them pretend they know about their product.

Maybe you need to get to know them a little better? I have not bought a whole lot from them over the years but they have taken very good care of me. Not sure who you are trying to deal with but some reps are better than others, like any other type of sales organization.

And Lenkersdorfer didn't cut the size, they just remodeled and it looks smaller now. Very nice however and the back left was setup specifically for Patek. Last time I was there a guy was picking up an all gold 5990.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 01:08 AM   #80
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
All due respect, you are buying a circa 80k watch in cash??

And you are not sure how to go about asking for a discount?

Something doesn’t add up.
LOL X2
Old 13 September 2018, 01:10 AM   #81
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I'm a believer that you won't know until you ask.

Personally on any watch that's not a SS sports model I would ask for and expect some sort of discount. Purchased my SubC new in March - didn't ask, didn't expect, and wasn't given a discount. Platinum Daytona on the other hand I would want a nice chunk off MSRP - someone somewhere will give it up.
Old 13 September 2018, 01:42 AM   #82
doodledoc
"TRF" Member

So, I want a platinum DD40 and it retails $62,500. According to this thread, an AD here will give me 0-10% discount. But Since I live in Los Angeles, I'm hit with 9.5% sales tax, which almost negates a 10% discount. All for a new watch that has a warranty that likely won't be used since the DD probably won't need a service for 10 years.

Here, I'm seeing sellers selling used but good condition ones for 41-45k. I can drop $800 and have RSC service the movement and I still saved $20k. Apparently, when you polish platinum, you don't actually remove platinum from the watch, but rather just displace it. So I can then just service the movement and polish it and it close to brand new. Am I missing something?

I guess some people can just fly vacation to Oregon, visit and AD there and try to get a 10% discount. At least in Oregon, you won't have to pay sales tax.
doodledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 03:21 AM   #83
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Coming from a family in retail;
Customers who mentioned that they could buy a similar item at another place were told to go and buy it there.
If there was some wiggle room after such remark there was certainly no more discount to be had at all.
Old 14 September 2018, 11:43 AM   #84
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Yes, you can certainly ask for discount for all those Rolex sitting in the display cases.

That’s exactly what I say! I’m like, guys/gals, you have all these Rolexes in the windows- and they have beeeeeeeeen in the windows. Help me help you! Lol. Give me tax plus 3-5% off pretty please!

Old 14 September 2018, 11:48 AM   #85
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledoc View Post
So, I want a platinum DD40 and it retails $62,500. According to this thread, an AD here will give me 0-10% discount. But Since I live in Los Angeles, I'm hit with 9.5% sales tax, which almost negates a 10% discount. All for a new watch that has a warranty that likely won't be used since the DD probably won't need a service for 10 years.

Here, I'm seeing sellers selling used but good condition ones for 41-45k. I can drop $800 and have RSC service the movement and I still saved $20k. Apparently, when you polish platinum, you don't actually remove platinum from the watch, but rather just displace it. So I can then just service the movement and polish it and it close to brand new. Am I missing something?

I guess some people can just fly vacation to Oregon, visit and AD there and try to get a 10% discount. At least in Oregon, you won't have to pay sales tax.

I’m with you on this! It’s like getting a pre-owned one will save you close to $20K. I would send it in to get polished all day for $800 etc. Court Affirms this holding lol.

Old 14 September 2018, 11:52 AM   #86
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Maybe you need to get to know them a little better? I have not bought a whole lot from them over the years but they have taken very good care of me. Not sure who you are trying to deal with but some reps are better than others, like any other type of sales organization.

And Lenkersdorfer didn't cut the size, they just remodeled and it looks smaller now. Very nice however and the back left was setup specifically for Patek. Last time I was there a guy was picking up an all gold 5990.

Nice. Yes I was there a few weeks ago. Wife is stationed in VA so while she is at work I get to go play in Lenkersdorfer. The remodel is fresher. They treated me well on my SS Daytona (pre ceramic). Well treated well, as in held it for me for a while so that I could secure the funds.

Old 14 September 2018, 12:19 PM   #87
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s exactly what I say! I’m like, guys/gals, you have all these Rolexes in the windows- and they have beeeeeeeeen in the windows. Help me help you! Lol. Give me tax plus 3-5% off pretty please!

you would lose a lot of money on a platona/plat day date with tax + 5% off though

personally on a watch like this i would just go grey and get 20% off, or even pre owned mint for an even bigger discount
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 03:19 AM   #88
Intense5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
you would lose a lot of money on a platona/plat day date with tax + 5% off though

personally on a watch like this i would just go grey and get 20% off, or even pre owned mint for an even bigger discount

Honcho! You da man! I agree. How do you research grey market? I don’t know where to start.

Anyone has any best practices?

Old 15 September 2018, 03:24 AM   #89
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Honcho! You da man! I agree. How do you research grey market? I don’t know where to start.

Anyone has any best practices?

there are a lot of great sellers mentioned on the forums. davidsw, takuya, ocrolexguy, justrolexes, sohais are some big ones just to name a few and you really can't go wrong with any of these 5. look through the who's who in the classifieds section
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 05:50 AM   #90
katiedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was offered 5% on TT and 10% on gold models at Tysons Corner AD, obviously no discount on SS though.

katiedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote