The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2019, 08:35 AM   #91
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
What scares me is when someone breaks in when YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE. The quality of your safe rapidly becomes irrelevant when they have a gun/knife pointed at your kids head and ask you to open it. My neighbourhood is considered very safe but this exact thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. He got out of his car in his own driveway and four guys came out of nowhere and forced him to let them into the house. They threatened his family until he gave them all the valuables in the house.
This is more and more the real event that is happening. Even if you have nothing in the house they think you do and if you have nothing to give......
Either way you are f***ed
Not a 'fun' situation to be in.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:35 AM   #92
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The risk comes to the family if there’s a 2000 lb safe in the house and thugs break in when I’m not home. God forbid, one of the kids is asked to open it, and maybe can’t ....

Granted a break in is traumatic either way, I just think having a safe might have the potential to elevate the robbery to the next level.

Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong, but I’ll keep using the bank to store my valuables and assume that risk vs. the other. Gotta sleep at night so whatever works for you

I’d rather keep valuables off site and let them steal the TVs and whatever cash and jewelry we have on hand. Again just my way of thinking and I realize I may be in the minority.

I agree with you, the house looks the same either way to burglars until they see the safe.
I agree and like I said I keep most of my valuable away from the house. To not have a safe is also an option. I chose to have one. I keep minimal in it. Its usually open when we are in the house (not all the time but mostly) and locked when we are out.

My kids dont live at home anymore (ones at Uni the other just started his first job) but all can open the safe if need be.

But different people have different circumstances and thought processes. Just my take on how I feel comfortable.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:37 AM   #93
RLX_NY
"TRF" Member

Couple of good points on here, no situation is perfect so arguments can be made for either side.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:37 AM   #94
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Have you seen producer Michael's watch collection. He's gotta have multiple deposit boxes. His insurance insists he keep his valuables at the bank. Maybe some people dont have a choice of having their own safe. Meanwhile he could probably have a vault built of his own.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:38 AM   #95
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
This is more and more the real event that is happening. Even if you have nothing in the house they think you do and if you have nothing to give......
Either way you are f***ed
Not a 'fun' situation to be in.
That Is what concerns me the most. What could possibly be more valuable than your family. So keep some stuff to give them and get them out of your hair as GB Man said. Or load up with a 45
Old 23 July 2019, 08:46 AM   #96
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
Have you seen producer Michael's watch collection. He's gotta have multiple deposit boxes. His insurance insists he keep his valuables at the bank. Maybe some people dont have a choice of having their own safe. Meanwhile he could probably have a vault built of his own.

SM-N960U
Yes he has an insane but some extra bling poor taste watches! Regardless my collection is negligible compared to his in terms of value.

I also use multiple boxes. I have 3 (all in different bank vaults) and I pay about £2300 a year for all three combined. You can also get your deposit boxes insured for a fraction of the cost of keeping your collection at home.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:47 AM   #97
John S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I understand the appeal of a massive safe anchored to concrete but I would never entertain that option due to the rare instance the burglars want to stick around and make you or worse your family open it. Just not worth it.

Decoy safe and probably 10-15k in random valuables already hanging around the house should burglars gain entry. If I am home god help them they are going to be staring down the wrong side of a 45.
Totally agree with this member. I will never consider installing a 3000 pound safe at home. Imagine, if the burglars came in, saw the safe and could not obtain what they want. The home alarm goes off, and force them to leave. They will find another time, to come back. This time they will make sure somebody home, to open the safe for them.

This is not a make up story. It happened one time in Mississauga, Ontario before. The giant safe stored a lot of lose diamonds. The thieves could not break it the first time. They come back the second time, and make sure someone home to open the safe for them.

Installing a giant safe at home just send a message to burglars that there's valuable things here.

A better idea is to make sure the burglars not to stay at your home too long.

My friend was a retired policeman, and I believe him in terms of home safety ideas.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:14 AM   #98
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
Totally agree with this member. I will never consider installing a 3000 pound safe at home. Imagine, if the burglars came in, saw the safe and could not obtain what they want. The home alarm goes off, and force them to leave. They will find another time, to come back. This time they will make sure somebody home, to open the safe for them.

This is not a make up story. It happened one time in Mississauga, Ontario before. The giant safe stored a lot of lose diamonds. The thieves could not break it the first time. They come back the second time, and make sure someone home to open the safe for them.

Installing a giant safe at home just send a message to burglars that there's valuable things here.

A better idea is to make sure the burglars not to stay at your home too long.

My friend was a retired policeman, and I believe him in terms of home safety ideas.
To me its an unlikely scenario. But I don't disagree, it could happen. Once you know someone has broken in, you upgrade security, move your valuables out etc. I would not carry on as normal and hope these people don't return.

Burglars target houses based on many factors I guess. Deterrents are critical : good lighting, cameras, visible alarm system on the outside etc all deter the professional thief. Key is to not want them to chose your house in the first place. Once they are in, they are in.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:38 AM   #99
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Look guys it’s pretty easy not to get robbed...just don’t let people know you are rich,...duh. Lol

I suspect the amount of work to rob a smaller house vs a bigger one is the same... don’t buy the big house on the block.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:58 AM   #100
soundserious
"TRF" Member

The professional thieves are not the ones to be concerned about. The amateurs are the ones that you should be worried about.
Old 23 July 2019, 10:01 AM   #101
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
The professional thieves are not the ones to be concerned about. The amateurs are the ones that you should be worried about.
Yep
Old 23 July 2019, 12:05 PM   #102
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:19 PM   #103
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
Do you know the manufacturer/model of that safe? It looks similar to the Brown watch/jewelry safes, but I can't identify it on the door.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:12 PM   #104
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post
Do you know the manufacturer/model of that safe? It looks similar to the Brown watch/jewelry safes, but I can't identify it on the door.

No idea. The security guy picked it out and installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:27 PM   #105
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
“Safe deposit” ? Think twice

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/b...box-theft.html
Old 23 July 2019, 10:34 PM   #106
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the heads up. Wow.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:42 PM   #107
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Thanks for the article.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:57 PM   #108
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Yikes
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:59 PM   #109
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Just FYI folks this thread is now comprised of about seven merged threads featuring the exact same linked article by that many different members. So if it seems a little uneven in places, that's why.
Old 23 July 2019, 11:00 PM   #110
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Its amazing banks can get away with this type of behavior.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:49 PM   #111
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
No kids. Just me. If anyone wants in my stash they'll have to go through me, and I'm crazy.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:46 AM   #112
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The more I read these threads about storing expensive or valuable items the more it seems like a hidden space would be what I should do.

I don't really want a heavy safe, and except for a fire rating which didn't work well during our fires last year, it's not a great option for me.

I think I need a bank box for papers, some insurance and a hiding place for watches and jewelry.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote