The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2019, 03:10 AM   #1
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Any Denture / implant people out there?

Hate to admit my teeth were shot to hell by 60.....most had cracked and rotted away from years of opiates
...went to numbers of dentist ......quoted 60k down to 29k for implants.
If i had been 50 i may went for the implants but 50k or so IS lots of cash....
I went with denture/implant....implants in the front partial dentures in the back.
As expected once i got use to them....they felt larger than my real teeth the implants seem ok....but the dentures....I cant get use to them and when im by myself i have them out...they just bother me to much.
Im wondering should I have went with all implants trying to save money? should i give it another 6 months and see if i ever get use to the dentures?
Should i trash the dentures and get all implants now and throw away 5k lost on dentures.
A checker at Kroger a week ago said sir you have beautiful teeth "for my age"
my reply was they should .....it cost enough.
Top 9 teeth are implants 8 on the bottom .....its the lower dentures that hurts and give me problems and they have two "snaps" were they snap into place.
I know its personal question ....any dentures sufferers out there?
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:52 AM   #2
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

As an MD I do look at my patient’s teeth everyday.

Better Dentition = Better Health in about 99% of folks.

Not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy a good dental status, however.

Given a choice, I strongly recommend Implants over Dentures so as to achieve a more natural mode of dentition/ dental hygiene

JMHO, I will defer to the DMDs, etc here on TRF.
DJ TT 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 12:23 PM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Dang mate. After hearing about the comments from the checker, I want to see photos of those choppers!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 10:39 PM   #4
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Going through the same thing with the warden. She's under 40 but has a family history of losing teeth no matter how well they take care of them. They cost about $2,000 apiece around here.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I'm not a doctor but I do work in the industry. For your situation we commonly see people do implants (4-6 per arch) and then do a fixed solution which is semi-permanently attached to the implants. Basically, it uses a titanium frame wrapped in acrylic with crowns that is very rigid and screwed down to the implants. It stays in and you don't remove it except maybe once a year at the doctor for cleaning and inspection.

Some people do a removable solution where they do the same 4-6 implants per arch and have a rigid denture created that uses attachments than can snap or press-fit into a mating part that is screwed into the implant. This can be removed regularly by the patient.

All of these are expensive solutions but are meant to be long term.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:32 PM   #6
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

It all comes down to money.

The best option is an all on four or all on 6. As stated above, you have 4-6 full sized implants that are placed, and then attached together by a titanium bar to offset force. These don't come out, don't have palatal coverage, if on the upper, and are very very low profile.

You were quoted 50k for both the upper and lower? If so, that's not bad. I charge more like 35k per arch.

You can see more about it here: https://www.nobelbiocare.com/no/en/h...CAAEgLzZfD_BwE

A lot of patients end up going with "mini implants". These are much cheaper and provide some retention of a denture. This denture comes in and out every night, and snaps onto the implants.

I typically advise patients who can afford to do an all on four, to do it on the lower, and to try an upper denture first. You can always go back and add implants there later and this breaks up the expense. The lower just sucks though, no matter what, the patient hates it.
Old 23 July 2019, 12:27 AM   #7
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I was cursed with congenitally missing teeth. Almost an identical pattern as my mothers father. Now I have 6 upper/6 lower implants. No issues and feels "natural" to me. Through the process I had many different retainers and temporary bridges. From a patient perspective the retainers sucked, but having visibly missing teeth is worse. It's been years now, but once completed it was one of the things in my life I was most thankful for. I would guess 70k all in.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:30 AM   #8
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

I lost some front teeth in a motorcycle accident when I was 20. I lost more teeth over the years from the results of having perfectly good teeth ground down for bridges that ultimately failed.

Now I have a nine tooth arch on both the top and bottom. Both of these arches are supported on four implants for a total of eight implants.They are both built on a chromium cobalt framework covered with a material called Ceramage. This is a much stronger and durable solution as opposed to acrylic with no supporting framework. Of course you can go with porcelain fused to gold but that's going to cost much more money.

I have my teeth removed once a year for cleaning. Proper dental hygiene is crucial.

My work was completed in 2015 when I was 52 at a cost of $46k. Best money I ever spent. Zero regrets.

The single most important piece of advice I can give is to choose your dentist, periodontist and/or prosthodontist very carefully. Do your research and then do some more research. This is so important and cannot be overstated.

I hope this helps,

Randy

Last edited by Randy63; 23 July 2019 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:22 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I was cursed with congenitally missing teeth. Almost an identical pattern as my mothers father. Now I have 6 upper/6 lower implants. No issues and feels "natural" to me. Through the process I had many different retainers and temporary bridges. From a patient perspective the retainers sucked, but having visibly missing teeth is worse. It's been years now, but once completed it was one of the things in my life I was most thankful for. I would guess 70k all in.
I too have teeth missing which were never there to grow in. I've been wearing partials since I was 17 (50 years). The missing count was 21. I had capped baby teeth the last one of which fell out when I turned 55 (on that birthday). I've actually only lost on adult tooth during my life time. I've got a couple of implants to help secure the lower partial. Only one of my kids had a missing tooth so that is good.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote